Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2021 8:45:39 AM EDT
Wife and kid were watching a tv show about alligator hunting.  Seems like it would be a fun hunt.

Who knows anything about this?

I’m on the East coast, so I could drive down south somewhere.

We were supposed to go on out second safari in South Africa last April, but that’s been “rescheduled” twice for Covid - looking for something domestic and different and cheaper than going back to SA.

Plus to get to the gators we’d have to pass through hog country...
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Hunting an alligator is marginally more difficult than shooting a floating log.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#3]
First time is interesting, but the only real hunt is finding them. Not too tough depending on where you’re hunting. One bullet in the head. Then the work begins of hauling them in the boat and later skinning them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4:
View Quote

Shooting logs is a blast!  

Not looking at it as a real challenge, but something fun to do with the boy.  Seems like a good excuse to build a “kill stick” or some sort of specialized gator dispatcher...

But yeah, from what I saw it looks like they contact shoot them with a .22, so perhaps even less difficult than even shooting a floating log.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By M4:
View Quote

Maybe a log capable of taking a .270 to the head, playing possum, and then trying to climb out the back of a speeding pickup?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I just booked a hunt with these guys for May. I've spoken with the owner and he seems like a great guy.

https://floridagatorhunting.com/
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Can apply in GA for FREE.
SC is $10.
Been a few times, have enough points to do both states again.

First time, used a guide, DIY since.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sparky923:

Maybe a log capable of taking a .270 to the head, playing possum, and then trying to climb out the back of a speeding pickup?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sparky923:
Originally Posted By M4:

You watch too much TV.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 3:57:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Knothead71] [#9]
Gator hunting is what you make it.
We use a heavy, saltwater reel and rod with a big chunk of rotting beef for bait. When you see the gator you want you go past him with the boat on step. Cast near him then wait.
When he shallows the bait it's on. You try to get a harpoon dart or a big treble hook in him. Keep working till you get him next to the boat. Hit him with the bang stick. TAPE HIS MOUTH SHUT before you bring him in the boat. Done this way, it's really fun and a ton of work.
ETA: This is where we get our stuff.
https://huntinglight.com/
ETA 2: Go to this guy's channel and watch some of his videos
https://youtube.com/c/deermeatfordinner
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JimPope:
Wife and kid were watching a tv show about alligator hunting.  Seems like it would be a fun hunt.

Who knows anything about this?

I’m on the East coast, so I could drive down south somewhere.

We were supposed to go on out second safari in South Africa last April, but that’s been “rescheduled” twice for Covid - looking for something domestic and different and cheaper than going back to SA.

Plus to get to the gators we’d have to pass through hog country...
View Quote

I live in Florida. There are places that are pay for play
And they’ll let you use any method you want being that it’s privately owned land. But your paying if a huge premium
Considering tags from the state are $275 and there charging $1000+
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Louisianian here... i've been several times.

Alligator hunting is really more like "alligator fishing".

you go the night or morning before and set all your hooks, which are baited and tied to a tree.

you come back sometime later and just pull the gator close to the boat and shoot it in the back of the head.

It's nothing like TV. The gators have already expended all their energy by the time you get to them... so they just pretty much float there and you the 22lr point blank at the back of their head.

They stink, omg do they stink.

Link Posted: 6/27/2021 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MossyOakMan:
I just booked a hunt with these guys for May. I've spoken with the owner and he seems like a great guy.

https://floridagatorhunting.com/
View Quote

just curious how your hunt with these folks went?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top