Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2022 11:28:43 AM EDT
Anyone else live in an urban environment and constantly have to run traps to keep nuisance animals from coming jn to the back yard?

Backstory: we lost 4 of our 6 chickens to a racoon in April. I managed to catch it once but he escaped when I was handling the trap. We now have 3 raccoons that are coming around about  once a week checking to see if they can get in the coop.

In the last 10 days I have caught 4 possums and a feral cat. Still waiting for the coons to slip up. I have been using a live trap and a dog proof foot trap. All catches agave been in the box trap.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
kAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/3/2022 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By BIgDAM:
Still waiting for the coons to slip up. I have been using a live trap and a dog proof foot trap. All catches agave been in the box trap.

View Quote

I had a feral cat that was VERY trap shy, I think it had been caught before. It was getting into my garbage, making a mess. It always chose the garbage no matter what bait I put in the trap. I finally got it though. I made sure there wasn't anything tasty in the garbage. I tipped the can over, slid the trap in, then packed garbage around it making sure nothing would interfere with the trigger mechanism. That did it.

I took it to a 70,000 acre remote forested area and set it free. Well...uh, I popped my trunk, it freaked out and ripped the door open (nearly broke it)...I've never seen a cat so vicious and fierce, not before then and not since then.

You may be able to get the coons with the tipped over garbage can trick...
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I may have to move to trap out of the fence and conceal it. They have been avoiding the normal spot they come under the fence.

The number of possums has slowed down. Nothing a in a week.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Number 5.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Just saw this.  I started trapping in my yard during Covid.  Kids were hearing animals in the attic.  No joke, I have fought over 150 possums and close to that in coons.  Trap is always in the same spot.  I use marshmallows sometimes but mostly sandwich bread.  2 weeks ago I set it at 11.  Had a possum at 11:10.  Got rid of it and set the trap back, he hadn’t had time to eat the bait.  Woke up to a coon in the trap.  I’ve worn out 2 traps and am working on the 3rd.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I have to catch 1 feral cat and her 4 kittens that are living in my juniper bush. Any suggestions on a trap or method to catch little balls of destruction claws?
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I’d get a havaheart trap and use tuna or wet cat food as bait.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By QRPer:
Just saw this.  I started trapping in my yard during Covid.  Kids were hearing animals in the attic.  No joke, I have fought over 150 possums and close to that in coons.  Trap is always in the same spot.  I use marshmallows sometimes but mostly sandwich bread.  2 weeks ago I set it at 11.  Had a possum at 11:10.  Got rid of it and set the trap back, he hadn't had time to eat the bait.  Woke up to a coon in the trap.  I've worn out 2 traps and am working on the 3rd.
View Quote
 that's crazy.

8 haven't seen the coons in a while. I know they will come back eventually, it's just a matter of when.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I may have to move to trap out of the fence and conceal it. They have been avoiding the normal spot they come under the fence.

View Quote
If you know exactly where they come under the fence a snare could get the critter caught. Snares aren't expensive and are simple to use.
No bait required but you have to get the snare in the spot they use to cross.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Knothead71:
If you know exactly where they come under the fence a snare could get the critter caught. Snares aren't expensive and are simple to use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Knothead71:

To indiscriminate. I'd I accidently killed my dog I'd feel like crap.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 8:11:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Noticed the other day that the racoons were coming around again. 2 nights with the box trap and one cat later and the dirty trash panda is caught. Honestly don't think this is the one I saw on my camera. This one has a narrow tail and the camera coon had a giant fat tail.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/8/2024 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#11]
We never lost a chicken in our yard but these suburban skunks tear the place up trying to get to the chicken feed. I have probably trapped at least 10 over the last few years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top