Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2023 2:19:25 PM EDT
I have a long term goal of doing the Great Loop sometime in the next 10 years. Or another long trip on a smaller live-aboard of trailerable size. I realize that is a debatable proposition, but I'm years out from looking at any boats of that sort.

I don't have any boating experience, other than a few hours on a pontoon boat.

Would it be a good idea to get a cheap older fish & ski type family boat to start getting time on the water, and entry level boat maintenance and motors? I want somethimg small enough to work on in my garage.

I came across a 17' Ozark 174 fiberglass 'fish & ski' that seems pretty solid in pics, and mechanically + electronically simple. With a trailer I think I can get it for under $3000. In pics the fiberglass, carpet, and seats look to be in pretty good shape.

If I go look at it, what should I be looking at that might not be obvious?
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
Check out this archived thread I wrote some years ago..

KB's used boat thread.

IM with any questions.

View Quote

EXACTLY what I needed, thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top