Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2020 12:36:16 PM EDT
Looking to do a bear hunt. This won’t be until 2021 (at the earliest)
I have two ideas.
1: a guide in Ontario with a baited hunt.
Not against this hunt.  It surely would have a higher success rate.  Issues with open border due to Covid.

2: self guided spring bear in Idaho.
Could get two bears.

For Ontario: anyone have a guide they recommend?

For Idaho: the plan would be to rent a FS cabin and head out every day for 10 days. We would bait a barrel and leave it until it starts getting hit. We would do spot and stalk from glassing positions.  
I would bring my SxS for added mobility.  I like the looks of unit 10 or 12.  We would hunt end of may/early June.
I would need to get some gear for this hunt. Pack, game bags, spotter scope, tripod, etc. the plus side is that once I have the gear, I can go ahead and do it agin next year with limited expense.

Is my idea crazy?  I’m leaning towards Idaho just because it’s different than what I’m used to doing (hunting deer in MI from a tree stand)

Also. Would it be possible to do a euro skull and a shoulder mount?  With closed mouth?
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Bear tags are cheap here, and I always see them when I’m elk hunting.  One tore a game cam down and chewed on it.  Come kill him.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Bear tags are cheap here, and I always see them when I’m elk hunting.  One tore a game cam down and chewed on it.  Come kill him.
View Quote

No spring hunt.   Deer season here during bear season.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I think our bear season runs all fall.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you looked at Alaska for bear hunt?

Link Posted: 8/20/2020 5:51:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar_mcadams] [#5]
I would probably do the Idaho hunt if it was me.  If you kill one it will mean more to you then the guided hunt.   And take notes because I want to go next time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
Have you looked at Alaska for bear hunt?

View Quote

Too far.   We are coming from Michigan.  The cost of airfare or driving makes it a non option.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone able to tell me if I can do a shoulder mount without the skull?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I just read up on baiting in Idaho.  I wasn't aware it was legal to do so that's good to know.  Not many western states allow baiting.  

As to the taxidermy question.  You do not use the skull in any taxidermy.  The hide is removed completely from the animal's skull.  Have someone do the skull with beetles.  they turn out really nice.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Do Idaho.
I live in Washington and it's bear season now (Aug 1). Spot and stalk is really addictive.  Make sure you get in shape. Elevation >6,000 you will feel the burn.
Our spring season is draw only. I drew this year and my hunt was up by the ID/WA/BC border. Spring bears are wondering around and on south facing slopes eating grass and deer fawns.
Find the openings on south facing slopes and you are in business. Get ready for as long as shots as you feel comfortable with. Also be ready to see a lot of bears you cant get to.
PS most of ID is steep. Did I say get in shape?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top