Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2018 10:21:12 AM EDT
Dove hunting can be fast and furious or slow as molasses, what I’m thinking is getting a good dog to find and retrieve the “lost” ones. What do y’all think of a Brittany? My BIL had a good one many years ago for quail hunting and I’m guessing that a Brittany would be great for dove, what’s y’alls take on this?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#1]
We have had lots of Brittanys, so it will depend on... how the individual dog reacts to a mouthful of the small breast feathers.

Some don't mind, others think it's a dirty trick.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I've hunted dove with Britney's',Boykin's' and Labs.

They all worked well but I'd give the nod to labs of course during that time was heavy into Ducks,Geese,Pheasants too.

By far the most fun dog was the Boykin,He was an avid hunter and did not recognize he was as small as he was,very comical watching him retrieve a large goose that was pissed about being shot
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#3]
And be wary of the heat when early season dove hunting.

Over the years I have always taken my dogs, labs, and a gallon of water, but I usually end up putting them up because of the heat.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Hunted doves with a lab once.  Man was that fun.  110% effort into every retrieve.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top