Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2018 2:51:02 AM EDT
I’m looking for a true trauma kit, possibly to treat GSW’s or motorcycle crashes. Size and weight aren’t a real constraint but I am looking to spend between $100-150 on a setup that is good quality and well stocked.

Is there anything that is good premade or is it recommended to make my own?
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 2:56:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Dark Angel Medical

ITS Tatical

Both are good companies. Can't go wrong either way. TQ's will be an add on I believe.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 5:24:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't waste your money, build your own! Also, you'll need to buy items that don't normally come with a standard trauma kit, (e.g., whistle, glow sticks, flare device, SAM splints, flashlight, sterile saline solution, burn gel/dressing, pain medicine, battery bank, etc)
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a doctor on youtube SnareMan that does reviews and trip reports, he made a first aid kit that takes care of scrapes allthe way to gun shots.

If you don't have medical training I wouldn't be playing paramedic at a accident scene.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a doctor on youtube SnareMan that does reviews and trip reports, he made a first aid kit that takes care of scrapes allthe way to gun shots.

If you don't have medical training I wouldn't be playing paramedic at a accident scene.
View Quote
No, I have moderate medical training, but I’m no paramedic. This is more intended for myself or passengers to my vehicle. I often go camping or backpacking and I would like to be able to treat anything from small scrapes, to broken bones (splints), road rash, smaller puncture wounds, and moderate lacerations.

I don’t have any dillusions that I’ll be able to sustain someone or myself in critical injury situations as an EMT would, but I would like to be prepared for eventualities.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have found most first aid kits to be a useless bundle of bandaids..
Duct tape is more useful.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Electrical tape and McDonald's napkins are my go to bandages.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That would be a good upgrade as there is some stretch to E tape.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#8]
As others said, put it together yourself.

To echo the electrical tape and napkins:

Tape:

Coflex,
3M transpore tape or Leukotape,
ace bandages

Gauze:
lots of 4" rolled gauze and scissors will cover the vast majority of boo-boos. Maybe some 2x2s but I just cut a roll of 4"

A few packets of bacitracin ointment and the rest of the kit is unit-dose meds, a Sam splint, a couple bulk bandage pads
and a tourniquette if you're playing the severe trauma lottery and think you'll need it.

I don't think I've gotten a band-aid at a medical facility in over 20 years. Coflex and folded gauze at every blood draw though.

Even the tape is optional with enough rolled gauze and some knots, though things like fingers are a challenge that way.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 7:14:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dark Angel Medical

ITS Tatical

Both are good companies. Can't go wrong either way. TQ's will be an add on I believe.
View Quote
Dark angel medical will have everything you need for a trauma kit.  If you take one of their classes you can get a 15 to 20% discount on their gear.  Awesome class if you never took medical training from an instructor.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dark angel medical will have everything you need for a trauma kit.  If you take one of their classes you can get a 15 to 20% discount on their gear.  Awesome class if you never took medical training from an instructor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dark Angel Medical

ITS Tatical

Their kits look basic and over priced. Suggest you goto Rescue Essentials, Amazon, or Chinook Medical and price out the Dark Angel kit components to see how much each item is.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer do-it-yourself kits over pre-made retail kits just because of the cost. The online businesses that sell kits can give you a good idea for what your kit should have. Don't forget free things, such as old flannel sheets that can be cut to size for a tourniquet, arm sling or many other uses.
I found that when I bought supplies locally, I was able to use the supplies I bought for multiple kits, bandages for example, it's not like you need 1 box of bandages for each kit, just a few of a couple sizes for each kit. Obviously, things like tape you would want a fresh roll for each kit, same with neosporin ointment, a unopened tube for each kit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#12]
North American Rescue (The guy who make the CAT tourniquet) have some pre-assembled trauma kits.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 4:28:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Sign up for AHA first aid or other first aid course. Take notes and document what you learned. Build a first aid kid based around your training (my recommendation is 3. 1 in each car and 1 home kit)

from what I have learned, Good Samaritan laws protect you up to your level of training.

Dark angel and North American resume are your friends.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Carry what you know how to use.

As an EMR/EMT, because I know how to use it, for my personal blow out kit I carry shears, a tourniquet, gauze pads, a few gauze rolls, an Israeli, quick clot gauze, a chest seal, and tape. That much will save your life for the immediate but you had better get back to civilization in a hurry cause at that point you are at the very least looking at shock setting in and probably have internal damage happening.

For a general carry kit for like you say motor cycle crash or whatever that can range from a capillary bleeding (road rash) to a broken leg, your best bet is a roll of duct tape and a cell phone. Seriously. Emergency medicine is sometimes about getting inventive. Give me a roll of duct tape and a towel or piece of cardboard out of the back of your truck and you can split damn near anything. But really its all about the series of care. The first person to treat the wound is only stabilizing it till people get there that are going to stabilize the person enough for transport to then get to the people that can actually treat you. Most times the most and the best you can do is put pressure on the wound while you wait for the flashy lights to finally show up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top