Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2019 3:14:41 PM EDT
Have any of you hog hunters had good results from these? I think they are the same bullet loaded in Fusion ammo.

I have an opportunity this year to due some hog hunting and I’d like to use an AR. I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it to get into a new caliber outside 5.56mm. Range where I’d go is going to be short. 100 yards max. I’ve got a 16” and a 20” 5.56 I could use. If it’s inadequate I’ll look at 6.5, 6.8, or 300 Blackout. Or possibly one of the MDWS wildcats.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Have any of you hog hunters had good results from these? I think they are the same bullet loaded in Fusion ammo.

I have an opportunity this year to due some hog hunting and I’d like to use an AR. I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it to get into a new caliber outside 5.56mm. Range where I’d go is going to be short. 100 yards max. I’ve got a 16” and a 20” 5.56 I could use. If it’s inadequate I’ll look at 6.5, 6.8, or 300 Blackout. Or possibly one of the MDWS wildcats.
View Quote
As to the 62Gr Gold Dot. I think most here will agree that is a good round for hogs.  They are accurate and do some serious damage.  6.8SPC  would also be a good choice caliber wise as would 300 BLK.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#2]
We use the 62 gr Gold Dot Soft Point and the 75 gr GDSP at around 65-70 yards at our place.
It will most certainly do the trick on hogs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 1:09:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We use the 62 gr Gold Dot Soft Point and the 75 gr GDSP at around 65-70 yards at our place.
It will most certainly do the trick on hogs.
View Quote
How does it compare to typical hog loads in 6.8 and 6.5. I know, not as good, but how wide is that gap?

Is there significant difference in the 62 and 75 grain gold dots?

@pasquale91
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How does it compare to typical hog loads in 6.8 and 6.5. I know, not as good, but how wide is that gap?

Is there significant difference in the 62 and 75 grain gold dots?

@pasquale91
View Quote
Not that I can tell at 65-70 yds. Put it in their ear or right behind the ear and they drop in place.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not that I can tell at 65-70 yds. Put it in their ear or right behind the ear and they drop in place.
View Quote
I'm not super confident of being that accurate.  How does it do with the traditional through the shoulder shot?  Or is that harder than the ear / behind the ear shot?  I've shot plenty of deer, but hogs are new to me.

@pasquale91
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm not super confident of being that accurate.  How does it do with the traditional through the shoulder shot?  Or is that harder than the ear / behind the ear shot?  I've shot plenty of deer, but hogs are new to me.
@pasquale91
View Quote
We doubled up on this one last year, one through the shoulder and one behind the ear. DRT!
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't even see where the shoulder hit is at.  Did it impact on the other side?
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

@pasquale91
We doubled up on this one last year, one through the shoulder and one behind the ear. DRT!
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202842/38260544_2068317250148684_1642041773368803328_n_jpg-1217707.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202842/38458008_2068337066813369_5582879330662350848_n_jpg-1217708.JPG
Good job! I had the dang boar in front of the trap last night but he’s still not going in.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can't even see where the shoulder hit is at.  Did it impact on the other side?
View Quote
The side you see is the side he was hit.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good job! I had the dang boar in front of the trap last night but he’s still not going in.
View Quote
That was the big boy from last year Sparky. We have a new lone boar that's been showing up lately.
I'll see if we have some pictures of him this morning. I think the fog may hamper that though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I guess I don't understand what you're saying.  The hog pictured was clearly shot in the neck / behind the ear.  When you say you 'doubled up' I took as the hog was shot twice, one behind the ear/neck and then a second time through the shoulder, which is why I was confused about seeing no entry wound on the shoulder.

Should I take it that you shot another hog, not pictured, through the shoulder with the 62gr gold dot load with good results?
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I guess I don't understand what you're saying.  The hog pictured was clearly shot in the neck / behind the ear.  When you say you 'doubled up' I took as the hog was shot twice, one behind the ear/neck and then a second time through the shoulder, which is why I was confused about seeing no entry wound on the shoulder.

Should I take it that you shot another hog, not pictured, through the shoulder with the 62gr gold dot load with good results?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Pig's shoulder is further forward than a deers shoulder. The bullet actually hit right in front of the bone about a half inch where you see the bubbly blood catching the front of the lungs. That's why we tell people to crowd the shoulder because most people think hogs are like deer but they are a bit different. Their bone structure is more compact and heavier.
Right there is a little bit high neck shot with the 6.5 Grendel. You have to remember a pigs neck bones are high plus very stoughtly constructed. My shot placement could have been about a inch lower. But it worked.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 1:10:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Any significant differences between the 62 and 64 in performance? I just dug a few boxes of 64gr out of the back of my safe.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Any significant differences between the 62 and 64 in performance? I just dug a few boxes of 64gr out of the back of my safe.
View Quote
Nope not enough to waste time about. You can add the 65 gr Sierra Pro hunter to that line up. It expands a bit better on smaller hogs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Have another question. Does anyone have any experience with the effectiveness of these rounds out of short barrels 7.5-10”? I’m looking at putting together a pistol for late season WMA hunting
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had some 75 gdsp laying round and finally got a chance yesterday evening to put it to work and I was very pleased. I shot a boar weighing around 150. I shot him in the shoulder to see how the 75 did and it dropped him. Then this morning I was able to Smoke a G@d Dam Nutria Rat in my small pond. The 75 at 50 yards blew him apart. So I'm I'm impressed so far. I'll put it some more testing next weekend it see if it's a keeper.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I have yet to see any 5.56mm Gold Dots for sale...
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 12:21:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have yet to see any 5.56mm Gold Dots for sale...
View Quote
@BerlinVet

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019829860?pid=642530
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 12:29:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Pretty sure he is talking about factory 5.56 nato spec loading. Hotter load than .223.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 3:11:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Pretty sure he is talking about factory 5.56 nato spec loading. Hotter load than .223.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Indeed...I got my wires crossed.

As for the 5.56 GD ammo, I believe that it was available many moons ago.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 5:18:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have an opportunity this year to due some hog hunting and I'd like to use an AR. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to get into a new caliber outside 5.56mm. Range where I'd go is going to be short. 100 yards max. I've got a 16" and a 20" 5.56 I could use. If it's inadequate I'll look at 6.5, 6.8, or 300 Blackout. Or possibly one of the MDWS wildcats.
View Quote
I've had great results with a 458 Socom. It'll break both shoulders on a hog and puts them down right fucking there.   That being said the largest pig I ever shot was with a 40 grain varmint bullet through a boars left eye at 50 yards. I still have the skull somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I have been using 62 gr Gold Dots .223 for past 2 years with good success from my AR pistol, rifle and carbine.
First was a 120 lb. sow from about 45 yards that I got with 16" carbine.  One shot through the upper neck and she didn't take another step.  The bullet went through half of spine and out the other side.  
Second was a 90 lb. sow from about 25 yards that I got with 10 1/2" AR pistol.  One shot through the left ear and immediate drop.  The bullet exited below the right ear.
Two more hogs of about 100 lb. using my 18" AR rifle.  One through the lower neck that completely severed the spine and exited.  Second that was shot from front on skull between the eyes and ears from tree stand from about 80 yards.  Dropped the hog immediately.  The bullet broke through the skull but did not exit yet we never found the bullet.
Last was a large doe that was shot from 15 yards with the AR rifle.  It was shot half way between left eye to left ear.  Doe dropped on the spot and bullet exited.
I don't know how the bullet performed on the game as any of those shots would have dropped the animal immediately even with FMJ bullet but what I really like is the consistent accuracy with all my ARs.  With the AR rifle it will  shoot 2" groups at 100 yards all day if I do my part behind the trigger.  With the AR carbines I will do about 2" too but I have to take my time to keep the barrel from heating up.  Even with the AR pistol it will shoot 4" from 100 yards.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have used 55-grain ball to kill them I have used 62-grain green tips to kill them 77-grain hp all had no problems killing the hog. I shot 3 hogs in the head with one shot the 3 hogs lined up eating corn broadside to me at 60 yards I was 21 ' up a ladder stand and I placed one 62-grain  green tip 1/4 " below the pig's ear and that 62grain green tip passed thru all 3 pig sculls dropping all 3 with just one shot. I have been professionally eradicating hogs for about 30 years.
" />

Link Posted: 6/27/2020 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#24]
NICE PINEY WOOD ROOTER
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top