Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2021 8:32:50 PM EDT
I'm going to be contrarian to most opinions here, but I don't like these things, and here's why. I grew up with standard 3PH implements sized primarily for 40HP and below tractors. I never felt it was a big deal to hook up an implement; even when I was a kid at like 12 years old I could get most anything on myself without much issue. Certainly got easier as I got a little older though.

Anyway, these days when I see someone asking for recommendations on buying a new tractor, so often I see "a quick hitch is an absolute must". I never understood that, because I've never had issues...but now I get it. Most 3PH implements I use are older and not QH-compatible, and I still feel they're easy to attach and detach. However I've recently used two newer implements made in recent years that are QH-compatible. They aren't even that big, but they absolutely suck to attach without a QH.

So my take...for implements on smaller tractors, 40HP and below anyway, the old way really wasn't that hard. But building implements to be compatible with a QH has made them much harder to attach without a QH, necessitating the need for a quick hitch, which then requires new implements that are quick-hitch compatible. Genius marketing ploy...

Change my mind.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Agree.

Especially since the manufacturers want to make the spacing ever so slightly different.  Unless you're going to buy the QH and all implements from the same manufacturer, you're going to eventually run into problems.

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Pats easy change.

Address all the issues you’re referring to. And is better than typical box quick hitches in my opinion.

Works more akin to the quick hitches you see on large tractors.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pats easy change.

Address all the issues you’re referring to. And is better than typical box quick hitches in my opinion.

View Quote

Does it reduce your lift capacity by pushing out the weight farther back?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:00:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pats easy change.

Anything will, yes. But not nearly as much as the box style quick hitches.

My 2305 with pats on it can lift ~700lbs.  My weight box is about that and I can still lift it no problem.  The hitches bump the hook ups back about 3 inches. So if you’re using something with a pto, you have to make sure you have enough drive shaft length to cover it.

The weight box is the only attachment I have that is “quick hitch” ready. The old brush hog and log splitter 100% are not. And it works great with them. The log splitter I can’t use the separating bar with (keeps the arms apart) so I pull the pins. Hook it up and knock the bar out so it doesn’t bend when I lift it up.  

Old JI case splitter. Bought it at an auction. Previous owner welded a 3pt hitch to it. Very crude. 100% not quick hitch compatible.

Edit:

They also make very convenient hooks to run chains through for pulling stuff. If you can get like a log right between the hitch, then choke it. You can loop it through the hooks and skid it around.

I’ve also pulled vehicles around by them, etc.

I won’t ever use a box style quick hitch. But all my smaller tractors will be getting pats once I measure the drive shafts to make sure it will work.

My big tractors don’t use their 3pt hitches much. If ever. Maybe a bale spear.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#5]
The same people who preach that a quick hitch is an absolute must are the same that say four wheel drive and front end loaders are an “absolute must”. I’ve been operating tractors since I was 9 (32 now), and have never felt that any of the former are necessities. They are convenient, yes, but necessitated, no. Makes you wonder how anyone in years past ever got any work done with a 2wd tractor that didn’t have a front end loader or a quick hitch.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The same people who preach that a quick hitch is an absolute must are the same that say four wheel drive and front end loaders are an “absolute must”. I’ve been operating tractors since I was 9 (32 now), and have never felt that any of the former are necessities. They are convenient, yes, but necessitated, no. Makes you wonder how anyone in years past ever got any work done with a 2wd tractor that didn’t have a front end loader or a quick hitch.
View Quote

Slowly.

Also, projects have changed a lot.  

Think of landscaping alone.  People moving tons of dirt and gravel, rocks, etc. is a realistically new thing.  My century house had 0 landscaping essentially until about 20 years ago.  People just didn’t do it.

People split wood by hand with a wheelbarrow and a maul. Not a splitter.

The farm I was born on had an international 806 and a Deere 4440.

We now have a Deere 6410 and a Case Maxxium 140 pro.

Both 4wd, cab tractors.  Even being less horse power, the Deere 6410 can out work the 4440 because it has better traction being 4wd with a front end loader.  The 4440 even had duals.

The case 140 can run circles around the 4440.  No loader. Just 1000lbs of plow weights.  No duals but we could add them. Being 4wd, better transmissions. You can pull a plow easily twice as fast. You can go through wet spots vs around.   You don’t have slippage.  

Sure. It’s not a “must” but, home projects have changed.  And even farm projects have changed. We used to just line up round bales in the field.

Now we stack them 3-4 high in a covered barn. Because of front end loaders.

Quick hitches just make life easier in way. Not needed. But certainly helpful.

Front end loaders are cheap enough on small tractors, there is literally no reason not to.

And 4wd vs 2 wheel drive on anything 60+ horse power, depends on what you’re doing. Any tillage? Gotta have 4wd today.  Just the speed implements are supposed to run.  You’re not pulling a 2 bottom plow with an 8n anymore.  If you’re running vertical tillage. It has to be fast. Even a chisel plow needs to be fast.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Slowly.

Think of landscaping alone.  People moving tons of dirt and gravel, rocks, etc. is a realistically new thing.  My century house had 0 landscaping essentially until about 20 years ago.  People just didn’t do it.

Both 4wd, cab tractors.  Even being less horse power, the Deere 6410 can out work the 4440 because it has better traction being 4wd with a front end loader.  The 4440 even had duals.

The case 140 can run circles around the 4440.  No loader. Just 1000lbs of plow weights.  No duals but we could add them. Being 4wd, better transmissions. You can pull a plow easily twice as fast. You can go through wet spots vs around.   You don’t have slippage.  

Sure. It’s not a “must” but, home projects have changed.  And even farm projects have changed. We used to just line up round bales in the field.

Front end loaders are cheap enough on small tractors, there is literally no reason not to.

And 4wd vs 2 wheel drive on anything 60+ horse power, depends on what you’re doing. Any tillage? Gotta have 4wd today.  Just the speed implements are supposed to run.  You’re not pulling a 2 bottom plow with an 8n anymore.  If you’re running vertical tillage. It has to be fast. Even a chisel plow needs to be fast.
View Quote

Try to justify them all you like, but none of that is necessary. As far as the tillage argument, none of the people here with their little BX, L, and MX series Kubotas are going to be doing any heavy tillage. I’d wager that most who argue that these things are necessary fall into the “hobby” use category.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I’d wager that most who argue that these things are necessary fall into the “hobby” use category.
View Quote

Nailed it.

I still can't figure out how there aren't very specific standards for 3pt dimensions so that everything would quick hitch compatible to begin with, but whatever. I'd love one, but I'm starting from nothing hoping to build a little farm. My grandfather farmed over 50 years and never did and never would have given in to buy a quick hitch. I'm trying to do things like he did them and see where I end up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Try to justify them all you like, but none of that is necessary. As far as the tillage argument, none of the people here with their little BX, L, and MX series Kubotas are going to be doing any heavy tillage. I’d wager that most who argue that these things are necessary fall into the “hobby” use category.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slowly.

Defining what is necessary vs what isn't, for anyone but yourself, is a bad habit to get into.

There's a lot of reasons. You can say they're justifications.  But, that's your opinion.

Just like it's my opinion to do things the old fashion way, when there is better equipment / technology / etc.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Defining what is necessary vs what isn't, for anyone but yourself, is a bad habit to get into.

There's a lot of reasons. You can say they're justifications.  But, that's your opinion.

Just like it's my opinion to do things the old fashion way, when there is better equipment / technology / etc.
View Quote

If that’s the case, go back and re-read your previous post. You’re guilty of the same.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If that’s the case, go back and re-read your previous post. You’re guilty of the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

Pat's quick hitch vs typical box quick hitches?

I pointed out and made a valid argument, on why I think it's a superior quick hitch style.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How so?

I pointed out and made a valid argument, on why I think it's a superior quick hitch style.
View Quote

The 4wd argument. Look at the tillage point you brought up and how these days 4wd is a necessity.

And at the end of the day, no matter how you slice it, opinion or no opinion, a quick hitch is not a necessity. A 3 point hitch implement can be attached without one, so in no way is a QH necessary. It’s simply a convenience item.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The 4wd argument. Look at the tillage point you brought up and how these days 4wd is a necessity.

And at the end of the day, no matter how you slice it, opinion or no opinion, a quick hitch is not a necessity. A 3 point hitch implement can be attached without one, so in no way is a QH necessary. It’s simply a convenience item.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

Tillage has changed, assuming you're in farming to at least break even.  Pulling 5-18's is a thing of the past unless you're resetting corn stubble into grass.  Even then, it's arguably a waste.

Tillage requires speed.

Speed comes from traction. 2WD tractors are relegated to Hay basically, or pulling maybe a bale grinder/feed wagon.

Vertical tillage all works on speed.  Works the ground better, which gives you a better seed bed, which means you're going to have a better crop.   In today's world, unless you're farming intentionally to lose money, you need.

Even then, if you're farming to lose money, there's better ways to do that.

Tillage types isn't a 'convivence' - it's literally a farming technique, to make more money, save the soil, etc.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Tillage has changed, assuming you're in farming to at least break even.  Pulling 5-18's is a thing of the past unless you're resetting corn stubble into grass.  Even then, it's arguably a waste.

Tillage requires speed.

Speed comes from traction. 2WD tractors are relegated to Hay basically, or pulling maybe a bale grinder/feed wagon.

Vertical tillage all works on speed.  Works the ground better, which gives you a better seed bed, which means you're going to have a better crop.   In today's world, unless you're farming intentionally to lose money, you need.

Tillage types isn't a 'convivence' - it's literally a farming technique, to make more money, save the soil, etc.
View Quote

That’s not the point I was making. What I was referring to is you telling me to not get into the habit of stating what’s a necessity and what’s not, yet you did the exact same. I’m not a farmer. I don’t do any heavy tillage and doubt I ever will.  Now back to the QH argument. Again, they’re simply a convenience item. If an implement can be attached without one (and last I checked, a 3PH implement can), then they aren’t necessary.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That’s not the point I was making. What I was referring to is you telling me to not get into the habit of stating what’s a necessity and what’s not, yet you did the exact same. I’m not a farmer. I don’t do any heavy tillage and doubt I ever will.  Now back to the QH argument. Again, they’re simply a convenience item. If an implement can be attached without one (and last I checked, a 3PH implement can), then they aren’t necessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tillage requires speed.

I'm still not getting your argument / opinion on what I said was a necessity and not, especially out of the tillage comment.

As for the quick hitches, on a sub compact, or compact tractor. They're not.  Large tractors with modern implements... Well, it's why most major manufacturers make them standard.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I grew up on a farm and have never used a quick hitch, Ive never seen the need.  My buddy has a little BX with a quick hitch and wonders how i can hook things up without one... oh I dont know, ive been running a tractor since i was 8.  Handy for that little BX i suppose.

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I grew up on a farm and have never used a quick hitch, Ive never seen the need.  My buddy has a little BX with a quick hitch and wonders how i can hook things up without one... oh I dont know, ive been running a tractor since i was 8.  Handy for that little BX i suppose.

View Quote
Same.  
I'm happy with a regular 3 point hitch and a good stabilizing bar setup.  Extra bonus for shuttle shift and foot feed.  Don't want any hydrostat tractors either.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#18]
We have the start of a small hobby farm. We have a 1025R with a backhoe, loader, 60" mower and now a tiller. I bought a $99 QH from Rural King for 3pt implements. Because it sets the implements back a little futher, I wanted to try the QH first, rather than later and all my PTO shafts be too short.

I can see how not having it allows more room for PTO connection, but I have also seen a lot a videos of people having to adjust the tractor and implement a few times to get the arms on the pins. I would think it would be way easier if every implement was on a cart on a concrete floor so you can move it around more easily. Having the QH keeps me from having to adjust multiple times and get on and off the tractor multiple times.

One can say "get better at lining up your tractor '. Which is a valid point, but not every section of land is perfectly flat and even to drop an implement. I find it OK for our size tractor for now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I love my QH.  I had to modify every implement I had except for my EA grader blade (and now my EA land plane), a major PITA but it was worth it.  Not having to wrestle +1000 implements is a life saver.

And yes, I think it is a necessity.  For all the people bragging about "driving a tractor since I was 8" there are 10 or more who are just getting into the hobby farm lifestyle, especially those in retirement and older.  Line Up, Back Up, Lift Up - it's a life saver.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I love my QH.  I had to modify every implement I had except for my EA grader blade (and now my EA land plane), a major PITA but it was worth it.  Not having to wrestle +1000 implements is a life saver.

And yes, I think it is a necessity.  For all the people bragging about "driving a tractor since I was 8" there are 10 or more who are just getting into the hobby farm lifestyle, especially those in retirement and older.  Line Up, Back Up, Lift Up - it's a life saver.
View Quote

Great to know it’s convenient for you, but definitely not a necessity. And I personally wasn’t “bragging” about operating tractors since I was young. That was a point made to show how many years I’ve made it without ever laying a finger on a quick hitch.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#21]
For what I do a tractor without 4wd and FEL is almost worthless.

People have different needs, I don't see what's so difficult to understand about that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quick hitches are safer. Reduces the chance of getting hurt hooking up to almost zero. Also makes it simple to do single handedly.

Required? No

Stupid not to have these days? Yes.

I've modified all my equipment to use one and it was worth it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quick hitches are safer. Reduces the chance of getting hurt hooking up to almost zero. Also makes it simple to do single handedly.

Required? No

Stupid not to have these days? Yes.

I've modified all my equipment to use one and it was worth it.
View Quote
I've never hurt myself hooking up a 3ph in 35 years of being around tractors.  Still have to get off and hook up the pto (the real danger) and top link.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've never hurt myself hooking up a 3ph in 35 years of being around tractors.  Still have to get off and hook up the pto (the real danger) and top link.
View Quote

Same. Not really sure why a QH would be safer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I said it in the last thread we had about QHs but I'll say it again.

QHs on large tractors with large implements, where things are much better standardized make sense. Not so on compacts and small tractors like Kubota BX, B, & L series. And that comes from my experience dealing with tractors of all sizes. I grew up on a farm, no, not a hobby farm, a family farm that was the sole source of income. Today my dad & brother continue the farm, farming over 2,000 acres row-crop.

I have a 47 hp L-series Kubota I use on my 50 acre farm. There is zero benefit for a QH, and nearly everything I use mounts on the 3-pt hitch.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 2:39:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Agree with the OP.
I don't have a QH and don't see the point.
The real time for changing implements is the PTO, not the 3 links.

I see alot of the weekend warriors want/need every modern or new gadget that comes out. They tell me QH save them time. I ask them how many hrs a yr they put on their tractors. Usually its well under 150. Or 3hrs/week.

There might be a case or two out there where a QH makes sense but be sure 87% out there don't need them as OP states.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:08:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I agree OP.  I'm a tractor/implement dealer and for years I have down played them contrary to popular opinion.  Couple years ago I broke down and bought 2 for myself, one for each of my bigger tractors.  Guess what...both laying in the corner now.  More pain in the butt than useful.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#28]
What gets me is that it seems most all new implements these days are designed to be compatible with them, and the QH-compatible implements seem much harder to put on without a QH.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#29]
My issue is cat I vs cat II width.  I have a wide range of tractor sizes and therefore a mix of cat I/cat II implements.  The width difference in the two prevents a quick hitch from working for me.  If I'd modify my tiller pins, it would solve some of my issue.  

Been attaching equipment by myself my whole life and it's just not an issue for me, so I haven't taken the time to make it all work together.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quick hitches are great for really heavy implements that can't be manhandled.  For some of them it is a necessity.

I can see doing without for small and light stuff that hooks up easily.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Pat’s Easy Change.  Comes with a spacer bar to keep the arms apart for hookup. It beats a 3-pt QH for me because it works for nonstandard implements.  I also have extendable link arms, and I can extend them when I’m not perfectly aligned. A QH would not allow them to telescope.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Only thing I have trouble with is the disk mower, but a quick hitch isn't going to help that, it sits kinda cockeyed when put on correctly and you've still got a prop, chains, pto, hydraulic and I like to put in on slightly to the right of center.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:44:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Only thing I have trouble with is the disk mower, but a quick hitch isn't going to help that, it sits kinda cockeyed when put on correctly and you've still got a prop, chains, pto, hydraulic and I like to put in on slightly to the right of center.
View Quote

Our DMI ripper is too heavy to fight with.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

While I also do not like quick hitches. A tractor would be damn near useless  to us without 4wd and certainly without a loader. Evidently you don't have snow, hills or mud. Our machine is widened out, 4wd with loaded Ag tires and there have been many times I wish I had chains lol.

Between loading manure, digging rain bars, moving material, re graveling lanes, stacking hay and doing firewood our loader is worth its weight in gold.  I'm a big fan of accomplish tasks faster and easier lol.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

While I also do not like quick hitches. A tractor would be damn near useless  to us without 4wd and certainly without a loader. Evidently you don't have snow, hills or mud. Our machine is widened out, 4wd with loaded Ag tires and there have been many times I wish I had chains lol.

Between loading manure, digging rain bars, moving material, re graveling lanes, stacking hay and doing firewood our loader is worth its weight in gold.  I'm a big fan of accomplish tasks faster and easier lol.
View Quote

Living in LA, snow and hills are not common, but I have plenty of mud, and as I said, 23 years of operating a tractor, and I’ve never needed 4wd. Never once did I say that certain people won’t have use for certain features. What I was getting at is the fact that every time a tractor recommendation is given here, it is accompanied with “4wd and a FEL are a must”. As stated previously by me and another poster, most tractor users here likely fall into the hobby and “weekend warrior” categories. Moving a couple of bags of mulch across the lawn doesn’t require a front end loader. The same notion applies to the quick hitch argument.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Living in LA, snow and hills are not common, but I have plenty of mud, and as I said, 23 years of operating a tractor, and I’ve never needed 4wd. Never once did I say that certain people won’t have use for certain features. What I was getting at is the fact that every time a tractor recommendation is given here, it is accompanied with “4wd and a FEL are a must”. As stated previously by me and another poster, most tractor users here likely fall into the hobby and “weekend warrior” categories. Moving a couple of bags of mulch across the lawn doesn’t require a front end loader. The same notion applies to the quick hitch argument.
View Quote

I love my front wheel assist, and I'd hate to be without it now, but every farmer that I know got by without it up until 25 or so years ago.  Getting by sometimes meant waiting a few more days for it to dry up, or maybe the operator getting really creative, or just having to get pulled out.  In my area, there is a whole lot of tractor work that still get's done without 4x4, FEL's, quick hitches and sometimes wide front ends.  

Concerning the OP, no quick hitch for me.  We swap implements back and forth between several tractors, so I don't think I'm the target audience.  I can see how they would be handy for someone with a setup like Merlin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top