Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2023 6:57:13 AM EDT
I have a 30A RV plug coming, but have a question about wiring. What type of wire should I use, or can I use? It's 30A, and less than 5ft run. Can I just use 10/2 Romex?

I haven't been able to find any official info on what type of wire to use.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I used 10-2 for a similar short run.

Mine is out doors by my house panelbox, so I put it in plastic conduit.

I put a 50 amp RV outlet in my shop and use an adapter to 30. I did that because I always park it in there and my plan has always been to upgrade to a 5th wheel whee I will need the 50 anyway. I used much heavier stranded copper wire out of a stove power supply to run that one. It’s indoors, but in metal conduit..

I’d send a pic, but I am out camping now
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Once again I'm not trying to sound like a know it all, but it is 30 amp 110V, not 220V. People have tried to hook it up to dryer outlets using adapters before and ruined their RV.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SixpackinOk:
Once again I'm not trying to sound like a know it all, but it is 30 amp 110V, not 220V. People have tried to hook it up to dryer outlets using adapters before and ruined their RV.
View Quote

Yes, 30A, 120V. Single pole 30A breaker.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I got a 30A single pole breaker and 10ft runs of 10awg THHN wire in black, white and green for the install. Remembered that Romex can't be put in conduit and I have to run a section of liquid tight through the wall. So, just waiting for the box to come from Amazon and then more adventures in electricity.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Romex can be put in conduit for short runs
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Blaster94:
Romex can be put in conduit for short runs
View Quote

Eh, I didn't have any 10/2, so I needed wire anyway. I just went ahead and did the THHN in the colors for any future work or re-work.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:54:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR15Texan] [#7]
In the process of doing the same thing.  You need marine triplex 3-conductor 10-gauge tinned copper stranded wire.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09JZBVBYC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

May have misunderstood where the wire is going.  Use the marine triplex for inside the RV.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:24:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AR15Texan:
In the process of doing the same thing.  You need marine triplex 3-conductor 10-gauge tinned copper stranded wire.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09JZBVBYC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

May have misunderstood where the wire is going.  Use the marine triplex for inside the RV.
View Quote

I went from the house panel to the outside plug. Not doing anything inside the camper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top