Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2019 11:01:22 AM EDT
So myself and two of my friends want to go out west in 2021.  His son graduates from airline mechanics school and this will be his gift.  
We have a truck and gear set already.  
What we are unsure of is where to go. Wyoming is a logical choice but we currently have no points. I have read that you can pay a trespass fee and hunt ranches. But I have also heard that they are high ($1k per person). This would be less than desirable.
So what state/area do you recommend for someone with only 1 preference point (2020 point). We don’t mind walking in and setting up camp.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Wyoming was my choice, ended up canceling the plans after making a friend that let me hunt his lands out here.

Either way it’ll be a good trip; Antelope hunting isn’t deer hunting.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 7:05:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 10:28:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mevertsen] [#3]
My suggestion is to pick a species.

Three people trying to fill multiple (number), multiple species tags on one hunt would be challenging.

I did a cow elk and mule deer overlap hunt with my father about 10 years ago.

It sucks.

Another problem is season dates.
For example the rifle deer hunts in NV are in October and the antelope hunts are in August.

Now for what state?

With one year to buy licenses and points next year, and three people applying for a party, archery hunts are not out of the question for NV for the following year.

You just have to watch the draws, as there are areas that frequently have leftover archery deer tags.

Wyoming can be done in 2021, but the problem is the areas that are easy to draw can be difficult to gain access to, further making a multiple species hunt even more of a challenge and more discouraging.

Heck, my daughter and I lucked into four tags this year, three of which are hers, and three of which can be day hunted from my house.  We are halfway done, still have 6 weeks to go, and it is quite a challenge.  I have killed my archery buck, she has killed her antelope, and she still has a deer tag and bighorn ewe tag to fill.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mevertsen:
My suggestion is to pick a species.

Three people trying to fill multiple (number), multiple species tags on one hunt would be challenging.

I did a cow elk and mule deer overlap hunt with my father about 10 years ago.

It sucks.

Another problem is season dates.
For example the rifle deer hunts in NV are in October and the antelope hunts are in August.

Now for what state?

With one year to buy licenses and points next year, and three people applying for a party, archery hunts are not out of the question for NV for the following year.

You just have to watch the draws, as there are areas that frequently have leftover archery deer tags.

Wyoming can be done in 2021, but the problem is the areas that are easy to draw can be difficult to gain access to, further making a multiple species hunt even more of a challenge and more discouraging.

Heck, my daughter and I lucked into four tags this year, three of which are hers, and three of which can be day hunted from my house.  We are halfway done, still have 6 weeks to go, and it is quite a challenge.  I have killed my archery buck, she has killed her antelope, and she still has a deer tag and bighorn ewe tag to fill.
View Quote
That’s good advice.  I think we will be focusing on antelope and have a mule deer tag in case we come across something.

Not looking to do archery this trip.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
Why would you pay a trespass fee to a rancher when every Rocky Mountain state has tens of millions acres of public land?
View Quote
Most of the areas that have public access require points.  A recent report from onx shows that 6 million acres out west are landlocked by private land (therefore inaccessible)
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Nah, I host friends from back east that draw antelope every year. There are plenty of areas that are quality hunting areas that do jot require preference points. You just have to do your homework.

You are not getting onto private for mule deer or elk for a trespass fee. Muleys and elk are big money for ranchers.
View Quote
Feel free to point me in the right direction.  The WY dnr even states that certain areas are difficult to gain access.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 4:05:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skg_Mre_Lght] [#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 8:48:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 20229mm] [#9]
Yep, that's due to limited public access. These areas are denoted in the regulations, and it's where you see most leftover tags after the draw. Get a copy of this year's big game guide mailed to you and study up, or just use the online maps and regulations. Western hunting is very confusing to people that aren't used to it with 150+ different areas, different rules for each area, different opening and closing dates for each area, etc, etc, etc.

Where are you from, and what are your expectations for the hunt? Just kill any goat? Need to be within 100 miles of any town, or will you be packing fuel/food/tents, etc? There are places you will not be within hours of a hotel, restaurant, gas station. Are you looking for a trophy, or just have fun and kill a speed goat?

You need to invest in OnX and a standalone GPS (phone OnX will work fine, but you have to be diligent to have every area you may hunt dowloaded because there are vast expanses out here with no cell coverage) because ranchers will have the book thrown at you for trespassing, especially with out of state tags. You may be able to secure a trespass slip for antelope, but you aren't going to pull that off for muleys, elk, whitetail, mountain lions or any other money maker. Trophy animals are everywhere on public land, you may just have to work a little harder for them. We have over 55 million acres of public land in WY, with a little over 3 million being landlocked. The west isn't like Texas or most Eastern states in that we have so much land to hunt, fish, and camp on. If you insist on hunting private, prepare for $3k-$6k for a Muley, and $4k-$15k for an elk.

We can start there and I can help you out more.
View Quote
From MI.  We can easily pack in and set up a base camp.  2/3 of us are Eagle Scouts.
Trophies are not the motivation.  I just want to get a decent buck and maybe some does afterwards.  Meat is the motivator as is the experience.
The group I’m going with is my buddy and his kid.  His kid is working his butt off in airline mechanic school (nose clean, no drugs, only a handful of women we want to do this as a reward for his hard work.
I only know what I’ve read and watched about antelope hunting. (Meat eater, solo hunter, etc) I can put on a decent stalk and have no issue creeping up on deer in MI forests (imagine a hard snapping stick every 4 inches)
This will also be our introduction to out west hunting.
I figure this I’m 2021. Ontario bear in 2024. Elk in 2028. Then taking my boys hunting after that.  When they are 14 I’ll take them on a caribou hunt in Alaska (provided they are into hunting)

Edit: yeah, finding access is confusing to an eastern Hunter.  Here we have public land, state land, and federal forest land.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Stupid work interfering with hunting conversations.

I'll get back to you tonight hopefully.
View Quote
Oh I get that. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#12]
You can still buy points in WY this year. That would give you two for 2021. Lots of options with two points.

You really need to learn how state draws work. They are all different and very confusing, until they are not.

I would hunt deer and focus on a general draw area if it were me, but I live in South Dakota and can hunt antelope for $45.

Decide on a state, learn the draw, pick a unit to research, apply, cross fingers. 😀

If all else fails you can hunt antelope and deer in SD with archery equipment OTC.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I would suggest antelope for everyone's first western hunt. You always see something, and have a high success rate, and it's the sheapest tags available in any western state.

Sorry I haven't been responding, I was asked to help a legless Marine get around for his archery elk hunt, so I've been kinda hooked up.
View Quote
Thanks for helping that guy out.
I can’t help but think of lieutenant Dan out hunting.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Ya, that Wyoming guy is pretty cool.

Helps a lot of folks including me.

Good point about antelope. They are also very tasty.

My judgement is unreliable due to my obsession with mule deer. All advice needs to be scrutinized with that in mind.

Sooo, mule deer gets my vote.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:23:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:23:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top