Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2020 11:52:40 PM EDT
Anyone use a 20 inch barrel for dove?  What choke would you use?
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 2:07:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: beardog30] [#1]
Not an optimal fowling barrel length...but it will work.

Barrel length has nothing to do with pattern.  Choke as needed.  Close in birds...IC...medium rang birds Mod, long range Full. Same as if you had 30" tubes.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 2:26:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I slam dives and early teal with an old 20 gauge 1100 special field with a 21" barrel. Light, easy to swing and fast. #7.5 and a modified choke or an improved modified for longer shots. When I'm Texas singed over ponds or sorghum fields most of the time. Bore doesn't matter, lead does and a pellet at 1250fps is a pellet at 1250fps. Pattern your barrel with different chokes and find the best combo.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By beardog30:
Not an optimal fowling barrel length...but it will work.

Barrel length has nothing to do with pattern.  Choke as needed.  Close in birds...IC...medium rang birds Mod, long range Full. Same as if you had 30" tubes.
View Quote

I agree with beardog30 on this. I hunt woodcock and ruffed grouse with a Remington Express 870 20 GA. pump with an 18.5" vent rib barrel. During the early part of the season I use a #2 Skeet choke tube when the trees are still leafed out. When the leaves have fallen, I switch to Modified choke as the birds are more wary and shots are usually longer.
Gary
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I shot a lot of dove with a Rem 870 20 gauge youth model in West Texas/ south east New Mexico. Think it had a 21" barrel?

A 20" 12 gauge will work just fine for dove.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an 1100 that I use.  26” Mod Cyl it’s from 1978 so no chokes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top