Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2024 11:42:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: oldcatawba]
So made my first homemade non kit antenna for 10M. Didn't get it finished till pretty late in the day but did make a contact with Madeira Island so guess it was successful. 10M propagation apparently is best during daylight hours so maybe Saturday I'll make a run in 10 and see what I get.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
If that is a center-fed verticle dipole I would try and bring that Coax out at a 90 degrees for as far as you can before sloping it to 45 degrees. Looks like it is doing well, but by doing that it will help keep the pattern from distorting from interaction with the shield of the coax, and help to keep RF from coming back on the shield.

Making antennas is fun, especially when they work.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
yep

10meters is a blast

I have worked the world on 10

now is the time, sunspots are here

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stanprophet09:
If that is a center-fed verticle dipole I would try and bring that Coax out at a 90 degrees for as far as you can before sloping it to 45 degrees. Looks like it is doing well, but by doing that it will help keep the pattern from distorting from interaction with the shield of the coax, and help to keep RF from coming back on the shield.

Making antennas is fun, especially when they work.
View Quote
Yep I just had the one end hoisted at that point but thanks for mentioning that because I'm curious about positioning as it's the first dipole I've worked with. The end in the tree is several feet higher than the other. I assume the goal is to have the wire as close to parallel to the ground as possible?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#4]
@oldcatawba
The antenna will perform better for DX as a vertical. As above, have the coax come away from the wire at 90 degrees for as long as possible. Additionally, pull the antenna up so the bottom element is off the ground. Ideally, by 8-10 feet but anything will help, the ends of the dipole are high voltage points so it is best to have those away from the ground and people.

As an alternative, build or buy one of the End Fed antennas, where the coax matching unit attaches to the end of the wire. Then the antenna can be in vertical polarization and the coax can come off the bottom or the top. hth
Rob
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Indeed, same concepts will apply when feeding Yagi antennas and becomes problematic in cross dipole antennas. Keep the coax from going parallel to the radiating plane as far as you can to minimize interactions with the radiation pattern.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:59:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#6]
10 can really open up when the Solar Flux (SFI) is high. It's been down for several days but appears to be climbing back up. CLICK HERE
Ionospheric propagation is the key for 40 Meters and up. If you haven't already, start reading up on it. It's a fascinating subject.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:40:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oldcatawba] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By robmkivseries70:
@oldcatawba
The antenna will perform better for DX as a vertical. As above, have the coax come away from the wire at 90 degrees for as long as possible. Additionally, pull the antenna up so the bottom element is off the ground. Ideally, by 8-10 feet but anything will help, the ends of the dipole are high voltage points so it is best to have those away from the ground and people.

As an alternative, build or buy one of the End Fed antennas, where the coax matching unit attaches to the end of the wire. Then the antenna can be in vertical polarization and the coax can come off the bottom or the top. hth
Rob
View Quote
Thanks for the feedback I think my picture is misleading as I took that picture as I was raising it so it's much closer to horizontal now. I understand what is being posted about the position of the coax in relation to the wire. I'm very interested in trying it in the vertical to see the difference in performance.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:49:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: robmkivseries70] [#8]
At 10M the antenna orientation may not matter as much, once the signal is bouncing off the ionosphere the polarization doesn't matter. Getting the antenna up above the local ground clutter, neighboring houses etc. will make the most difference. hth
Rob
It's been said that when 10M really opens up the world can be worked with a wet noodle for an antenna.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#9]
One can get really creative with wire antennas for 15 through 10M. The old Antenna Handbooks had lots of designs for gain-type setups. Some could be electrically switched for directivity. None required elaborate support structures, either.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I've worked Ivan as well.  He's usually got a real pile-up going.  If you get the opportunity and he's not too busy, He's a nice guy to talk to.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Download WSPR Watch for your phone.

You’re welcome.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Saturday will be the first day since I hung the antenna that I'll be able to try it during daytime hours. I might very well try it in a vertical as mentioned above if I have time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top