Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2020 6:32:19 PM EDT
Never had a chance to kill a hog, been a deer hunter off and on. I’d like to get some marsh hogs from my boat and I’m wondering if my 10.3 is a good ethical weapon for them? If I enjoy it enough, I plan on building a 12.5 6.5 grendel for it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Just skip to the Grendel. Some people would argue 16” 5.56 isn’t ethical.

Your proposal definitely isn’t ethical to your ears, that’s for sure.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Smoke em if you got em!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 10:02:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eat_Beef] [#3]
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#4]
10.5" .223/5.56 puts down Feral Hogs just fine shot placement is key. Headshot is the best place 1/4 below the ear it blows their light out like a candle you don't need a large caliber to kill Hogs I killed the majority of mine with a .22LR OVER bait 21' off the ground in a ladder stand at 60 yards from the bait with a Ruger 10/22  I put my lighted reticle on the head 1/4 " below the ear the Kill lights come on and highlight the hogs and  I go to work. For the most part, I set live trap foot snares dispatch with .22LR, neck strangulation kill snares,  Boar Buster Live traps dispatch with .22 you don't need large calibers many of the Contracts I go on are in close proximity to livestock, People & Dwellings so large calibers could dangerous especially at night with night vision.
This is the biggest Hog I have ever Killed and it was a live trap foot snare and one shot from a .22LR took him out .
" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/lNSGKQ5.jpg
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Two nights ago i had the opportunity to go hunting for the first time in a long time.

Left all my good factory ammo and sbr reloads at the house.

So I dropped one at 75 yards one shot with cheap fioochi 55 fmj out of an 11.5” ar.

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 11:24:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1ipschoser] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Eat_Beef:

Ethical?  Do you worry about the ethics of stepping on a roach?
View Quote

Some of us are sportsmen that concern ourselves with treating all animals humanely, regardless of what some PHD biologist put in a report to get more grant money.

After killing hogs with 16" 5.56 guns and a variety of other calibers, I'd say 5.56 is marginal for humane hunting of anything larger than a coyote. The terminal damage difference in 5.56 and mainstream hunting calibers (like the "lowly" 30-30) is great.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 1ipschoser:

Some of us are sportsmen that concern ourselves with treating all animals humanely, regardless of what some PHD biologist put in a report to get more grant money.

After killing hogs with 16" 5.56 guns and a variety of other calibers, I'd say 5.56 is marginal for humane hunting of anything larger than a coyote. The terminal damage difference in 5.56 and mainstream hunting calibers (like the "lowly" 30-30) is great.
View Quote

Never had an issue stopping them with 5.56, even rather large ones with small shooters
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Obviously has never repaired pig rooting damage and never watched the ground nesting birds being decimated. All this compassion but no empathy for the land or the native critters.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
Hogs aren't ethical when they destroy property and wildlife, I shoot pigs in the face unless they are running away. Then it's a Texas heart shot.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 1:41:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USSRangerSM] [#11]

I don't read or care what "PHD biologists" say.  I'm pretty concerned with my own land and finances.  Once you've had hogs rooting up crops you have $100/acre in, at a rate of 7-10 acres per night, you might feel differently.  Or maybe it would take watching hogs carrying fawns off to eat, or watching your prairie chicken and quail populations cease to exist.  Maybe it would take seeing someone seriously injured by hitting one on the road.

Either way, your sanctimonious drivel has about as much affect on my decisions as a rubber chicken has on a tank.  I'm pretty sure you'd recoil if I tried to force my morals onto you, don't be surprised when I do the same.
View Quote

Edited because feelings are not facts~ussrangersm
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 1:50:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Took out 9 in this sounder with an 11.85” barrel

PWS 11.85” Pistol
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 9:45:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USSRangerSM] [#13]
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By tronco15:
Took out 9 in this sounder with an 11.85” barrel

PWS 11.85” Pistol
View Quote

Sweet! Bonus for the squealer and the flip!
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#15]

I don't read or care what "PHD biologists" say.  I'm pretty concerned with my own land and finances.  Once you've had hogs rooting up crops you have $100/acre in, at a rate of 7-10 acres per night, you might feel differently.  Or maybe it would take watching hogs carrying fawns off to eat, or watching your prairie chicken and quail populations cease to exist.  Maybe it would take seeing someone seriously injured by hitting one on the road.

Either way, your sanctimonious drivel has about as much affect on my decisions as a rubber chicken has on a tank.  I'm pretty sure you'd recoil if I tried to force my morals onto you, don't be surprised when I do the same.
View Quote

What he said. My father-in-law would probably prefer the hogs be  shot and that they run off and have a painful, slow death. It’s more of pest control/extermination than hunting when it comes to keeping them out of crops
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm guessing it would be fine with proper ammo selection and shot placement. Took a 120lb doe with a federal fusion 62gr soft point out of an 11.5in barrel a few years ago(60yard shot). Got the heart and both lungs, she didn't even take a step and was dead before she hit the ground. Ive seen plenty of guys with bigger caliber guns not kill deer because of poor shot placement and poor shoot/no shoot decisions and taking shots at shit that was at ranges beyond what they were capable of shooting accurately. Staying within your capabilities as a shooter and knowing the limits of your ammo is just as important as proper shot placement and making a smart decision about shoot/no shoot. The same year i got the doe i let a buck go. It was about 200-225 yards out. Could I have hit it with the 11.5 yes I can hit at 600 yards with it (God I miss my old gun club). But I also didn't trust that at 200+ yards the round would carry enough energy from that barrel length to kill that animal quickly so i didn't take the shot. Instead I let a buddy know over the radio that it was moving in his direction and about 20mins later he shot it. We were supposed to be meeting up for a drive at abound 10am that morning so I took the 11.5 ar instead of the 16in ar. If i'd have had the 16in I'd probably have shot that buck as well only because I had used the 16in gun and the same ammo to take a doe two years before that at about 180 yards so I felt confident in that set up at that distance.

Stay within your abilities as a shooter, select the proper ammo and put it in a proper spot to make a clean kill and your all good.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:53:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I just dropped a 250lb boar at 50 yards last night with green tip in my 10.3".    One shot drop...its all about where you hit them.

Going out again tonight

Pvs 14 , IR laser and WML and thermal scanning is cheating
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By axeeclipse14:
I just dropped a 250lb boar at 50 yards last night with green tip in my 10.3".    One shot drop...its all about where you hit them.

Going out again tonight

Pvs 14 , IR laser and WML and thermal scanning is cheating
View Quote

Only if your equipment was free.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Worked for me several times.
First time was with 50gr JHP from about 25 yards while coon hunting.  One shot below the ear and it was all over.
Second one was from about 35 yards with Speed 62gr Gold Dot while coyote hunting.  Again, one shot below the ear and it dropped.
I have taken few more with 62gr Gold Dot as it seems to have better penetration.  

This was the first one I took with my 10.5"
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#20]
IMO Yes. Killed many, many hogs with short barreled 5.56 rifles.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#21]
5.56 is fine. 6.5 grendel is much better. 12” grendel is with a 308 suppressor is the perfect hog gun to me.

5.56 is fine for the first hog with proper shot placement, but when the herd of 40 hogs scatter and you start blasting away the 5.56 does not put them down right there. You’ll here the thump of the round hitting so you know they’ll die but you don’t get to admire your work.

The grendel of course isn’t 100% on the follow up shots either but a higher number drop or don’t make it far before dropping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top