Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#2]
PART TWO

Chapter 1 (11) SHTF

“They’ve got food in here….we have to get it” the scraggily man said to the other. Two men just backed a Cargo truck into Walter’s home. It did not go that far through the house and with very little work they made it through the barricaded up windows.  The truck had makeshift armor bolted to it with a hasty spray can camo job still showing the rental company logo underneath it. “I remember the one time I saw the guy that lived here unloading water barrels and freeze dried food in pallets one night” the scraggily man told the other. The smaller man spoke up “yea man I’m starving like crazy…this should be a lot more than the other family’s food…hope this family has better looking women too” as he chuckled a little.

As soon as we heard the crash Walter lead us with his lantern into the basement. With the dim glow of the LED lantern I could make out a normal looking basement until he lead us to a closet. Once in the large closet he lifted up the carpet on the floor and there was a hatch. As he opened the hatch Walter looked at me in the dim glow of the lantern and just said, “yea my parents were kind of weird”. Once the hatch opened, small LED lights showed the way down. We all entered with Walter at the end so he could close the hatch. Once inside he flipped on the power switch and what I saw I could not believe.

This place was a survivalist dream come true made out of reinforced cement. There were cots on the wall and multiple 55 gallon blue drums against the walls. The LED lighting system illuminated the space very well. The space was about 15’ X 15’ and pretty simple but secure. Right away Walter started moving some barrels with ease exposing one of the walls. “This was my parents storm shelter that they used as a cover for their real shelter” Walter stated as he exposed another hatch were one of the 55 gallon drums used to be. The hatch was disguised as a vintage civil defense poster and opened up to a corrugated steel tunnel. “You all go first so I can secure the hatch after you” Walter said slightly out of breath. We started to crawl through the tunnel that had more small LEDs leading the way. The Tunnel was about 20 feet long with the diameter just big enough to crawl through with a round hatch at the end with a mechanical cypher lock on it. “Combo is 4,3,2,1” Walter confidently said as the girl in front of me pushed in the code opening the hatch.

The real shelter was a larger 10’ diameter metal pipe that looked about 40’ long with a flat floor. “How weird were your Parents Walter?” I chuckled at him as I looked in disbelief. Walter looked at me in the dim LED lighting, “My parents were very paranoid during Y2K and then after that they just thought something big was going to happen some day” He started to point to the one end “ There are 4 large shelters like this all connected that my parents put in before our subdivision was created. One is living quarters; one a sleeping quarters, the other a supply storage/armory, and the last is a communications room. All the spaces have storage under the floor too!”

“Are we safe?” the boy said as his girlfriend also replied, “are we ok?” The two kids looked exhausted and Walter looked at them and said “My parents made this to be self sufficient for a year for our family, so yes we are safe here”. I looked at him with a bit of concern, “What about the guys in the house above…can they get to us?”. Walter smiled and then said,“ When we got to the first hatch in the basement I pulled our panic alarm, it’s a mechanical battery operated devise that sprays the house with teargas!” he stated as he let out snort of laughter. “Who is this pimple faced kid?” I thought as I looked at him laughing.

By now the two kids were asleep in some of the bunk beds and Walter was showing me the ins and outs of the shelter. The space made my parents shelter look like a closet with all the space and supplies. The armory had everything you could think of in matching pairs along with the ammo and web gear to go along with it. “Walter, How many exits out of the shelter are there? I need to get to some friends?” Walter looked at me and held up 2 fingers, “ one we can’t use for a bit because of the teargas…well we do have gas masks in here, the other one goes to our back yard. It has never been used and is full of sand. The idea is that you pop the escape hatch with the sand above and then sand falls down exposing the shaft to the surface”. I had an even more shocked look on my face; “Walter, what were your parent afraid of?” and he smiled and said, “Everything”.

With the help of Walter in the storage section I gathered a small backpack, a few MRE’s, 4 bottles of water, Gasmask, some AA batteries for my NVG’s, a small hand held radio, and some 5.56 ammo for my empty M4. “Walter, is that what I think it is?” I said as I picked up a small .22 pistol. “Yes it’s an integrally suppressed MKII, my dad understood the value of suppressors if the S ever hit the fan”.  “How many magazines do you have for it? I’m taking this instead of the rifle”.  “I think my dad had around 10-20 magazines per weapon here”, as Walter lifted up one of the floor panels that had a small finger hole in it. Under the floor were ammo cans all marked “Magazines” along with the different types of weapons. “The other spaces are all ammo and reloading supplies,” Walter said as he smiled at me. “Walter you’re going to stay here while I get to my friends, and watch over the two kids”, it sounded funny saying that, as Walter was just a kid going on 40.

Walter explained how to get out the same way we came in and I was off again. He stated that I would not be able to radio him until I was topside, as his antenna that he was plugged is attached to the house. I was wearing a gas mask now with my helmet crawling through the tunnel holding a .22 pistol and had thoughts of what was out there. The hatch to the shelter was already locked as I made my way up to the closet. I put my NVG on, as the basement was pitch black. I shut the tunnel entrance the way Walter told me too and started going up the stairs. I could feel the CS gas burning at my neck as it was chaffed a bit raw from the body armor vest I have had on. It had only been about an hour since those guys were in here and they might still be walking around the house. I crept up the stairs and noticed that there was a bit of light at the top. I slowly crested the top of the stairs and noticed a beam of a flashlight that came out of one of the rooms down the hall. “Oh crap they are still in here!”
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:45:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Part 2? I still haven't gotten my copy of Part 1 in the mail yet
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice :-)
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Good chapter!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Sweet!!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#7]
tag for later
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 3:55:45 AM EDT
[#8]
More! More! More!
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Continued

“Hey man If you find another girl she is mine this time” one of the men chuckled to the other. “You can have her as long as I get some food…. I’m starving”. I knew without a doubt that these guys knew what was in here as their voices were amplified from gas mask amplifiers.  The only way out is to try and sneak out without them knowing so I start to look around once out of the stairwell. Scanning around the house I see a truck smashed into it and notice it’s dark outside. “I’m going to take their truck” I think to myself, as I start moving over towards it. Just as I’m stealthily moving to the truck I trip over a coffee table and make a loud crash with all my gear on. Whatever was on top of the table was breakable and made lots of noise as it smashed onto the floor. I was on the floor and did not notice my NVG flipped up and off. I could not see anything through my gasmask and started to panic as I was lying on my back.  

Next thing I hear in a loud amplified voice say, “If it isn’t a woman kill it” followed by weird laughter. I still have the suppressed .22 pistol in my hands and instinctively flip off the safety. I don’t even have time to flip back down the NVG’s as I see the two beams of light coming my way. The beams are not on me yet so I doubt they can see me but I can see them. “Pa-tink…Pa-tink…Pa-tink” as the sound of the action works my three shots fired. “AHHHH….WTF….OHH…SOMETHING BIT ME!”  as I see one light drop and the other turn to it. “WHAT HAPPENED MAN YOUR BLEEDING!”. I then again aim in the area of the other light “Pa-tink…Pa-tink” as I see it drop too.

I quickly flip down my NVG and access the situation and see two thugs squirming and screaming on the floor.  My aim must not have been too good as one was holding his groin and the other holding his stomach. I quietly walk up to them and kick both lights away as I hear more screaming. I grab the one guys pistol laying on the ground and the others pistol grip shotgun. “WHO’S THERE….HELP ME…HELP..DON’T HURT ME!”
In a muffled voice as I don’t have an amplifier on my gasmask I yell “TRUCK KEYS PLEASE”. One of the guys starts screaming,” THERE IN THE IGNITION…COMMON MAN HELP US” and all I can muster to yell is “thanks” as I reach down and rip off both of their gas masks. “AAAHHHH……” I try to block out the screams as I make my way to the truck.

The truck’s back door was open and peaking into it I could see that it was free of people but had lots of junk in it. It had access to the driver’s compartment from the back. I step in and close the roll down back door. “Ah the keys are in the ignition” As soon as I sat down I made sure the doors were locked and turned the key. As soon as the engine started my NVG’s turned off due to the headlights being on. Once my exposed eye could start to see it noticed a few infected coming my way. I flipped the NVG up as I stepped on the gas. I realized that we were at the end of a cul-de-sac and I turned the wrong way. I quickly make a U-turn as I see some infected run towards the opening in the house. “Should have stopped screaming” I chucked to myself.

2 (12) BOHICA

I’m cruising down the subdivision and need to get my bearing to find the girls in the secure location. I then remember the radio and take off my gas mask. It turns out to be a hard task to do while driving and I even manage to get my helmet back on too. I then pull out the radio and try it “Walter this is Kevin over” and then hear static and try again. I then hear in his nerdy voice, “My call sign is Condor OVER, Kevin are you ok?”, “Yes Condor, I’m good to go but your home is not safe anymore. I will once again contact you when I’m in a secure location”. I then hear “CONDOR OUT “ as I chuckle back “ICEMAN OUT”.  I then realize that I have been subconsciously driving around wrecked cars, bodies on the street, and other debris. “Oh man I’m broadcasting myself way too much.“

I quickly find the headlight switch and turn it off as I flip down my NVG’s and go dark. I have to slow down quite a bit, as it’s a lot harder to drive this way. “I can’t be that far from the group…ah there it is about a…” Next thing is a bright light from my right side and then a loud crash. I’m not sure how long I was out but I notice the green glow of my NVG on and I can see the truck I’m in is damaged along with the used airbag hanging over me. I see another vehicle smashed in front of me in the street. I struggle to get the seatbelt off and have a hard time getting out of the truck. I scan the area and don’t see any infected. I make sure I have all my gear and notice my M4’s barrel is bent along with the stock broken. My chest and right leg is killing me and then I notice it.

There is a hole in the other cars windshield and a body out in the street that looks like a kid. I feel my stomach get sick and a salty taste starts to form in my mouth. I limp over to the body and notice even with the NVG’s on that the head is bleeding and the body is twitching. I kneel down and take a look and then notice it. Even though it’s the body of a little girl I can see the foam around the mouth and the eyes. Even in the green view of the NVG’s I can tell she is infected. She tries to reach for me with a tiny arm that has a bite on it and starts making a horrible frothy scream. I aim with the pistol and turn away….“Pa-tink”

I then limp over to the car and look inside and see the horror. “seat belts…CHECK, airbags…CHECK, and infected daughter that rips her parents apart as they try to drive her to safety….CHECK”. I get ready to put the parents out of their misery as they are trapped in their seatbelts and now infected. I then smell gas and think of a simpler way. I reach in my pocket on my body armor and pull out the magnesium fire starter and just about the flip the NVG up and off when I notice a Green beam of an IR laser coming from the direction of the girls in the strong hold. It’s Miss Shandy and the sniper rifle. They must have heard the crash and now see me. I quickly reach for my helmet light and flip the IR beacon on. I start waving and notice the beam wave and then turn off. I flip up my NVG’s, put on the white LED’s. I then get as far away from the truck but as close to the now trail of gas and then spark it. It goes up much quicker than I expected as I start rapidly limping towards the storage compound. I make it about 100 yards away when it blows. The fireball lights up the area and I notice in the distance silhouettes a few hundred yards beyond the fire.

With my back now to the fire I slowly make my way with NVG’s on again through the maze of abandoned cars, random bodies, and other trash on the street. I see what appear to be a few dim lights in some houses but I’m too hurt and exhausted to investigate. It’s quiet but I know they are behind me and I have to keep going. I’m hurt and not sure how bad but I have to keep going.  I pause and flip up my NVG’s and turn around and notice more silhouettes of infected people by the burning vehicles. As I’m taking a break and gazing into the moving infected silhouetted by the orange fire I hear another explosion as the other vehicles tank blows. I am instantly illuminated and now myself silhouetted.

I turn around and start running the best I can and turn down the last street to get to safety. It’s dark again and I flip down the NVG’s. About 100 yards to more to the fence once I cut through this alley. It’s dark enough that I notice my IR beacon is still on as it’s reflecting of the white garage doors in the alley. I keep walking and scanning my head in both directions and I walk forward. One quick scan I see what looks like a person and quickly turn back to it and it’s gone. In turning my head back I see the end of the alley and start moving faster. I’m breathing hard and can hear my footsteps, as I start almost running. The pain is there but at least I’m alive. I then hear a sound behind me and quickly turn around. One fast moving infected coming at me and I point aim the .22 at it’s head, “Pa-tink…Pa-tink…Pa-tonk”

I see it drop as I look down at the pistol and notice a stovepipe jam. I then see an IR laser shine past me to the dead infected. I hold up my arms and wave shaking my head so she knows not to shoot and I’m ok. I run the rest of the way to the fence. This time I remember which key to open the gate. I glance behind me once more to make sure nothing is coming and can see the fire in the distance. I secure the fence and make my way to the door. It opens and as I flip up my NVG, I notice it’s Miss Shandy holding a red LED light, “Get in” she whispered in the sweetest voice I have ever heard. “Oh my gosh your bleeding” she says as I hear the other women come over and the last thing I remember is saying “I’m Ok”
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Whoo hoo.  Good stuff
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Uh, hello?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#12]
3 (13) One week of TEOTWAWKI

We have been holed up in here for the last week. I’m still a bit sore from the crash and for the most part, “good to go”. We have lots of food and have only just dipped into our pallets of food.  It does get very old only eating snack type foods and gas station bottle beverages. We are also fortunate enough that we found travel sized baby wipes and other hygiene items. We are really low on Ammunition though and that scares me. We have been in contact sporadically with Walter and the two kids. They are also holed up and secure but don’t have a visual to the horrors going on above them. It has been a long week for me with the typical day starting off with the three S’s, though the middle one is now a baby wipe “shower”. We have been fortunate enough to have a pallet of travel toothbrush sets with the brush, toothpaste, and small bottle of mouthwash to help offset all the sugary drinks. One should feel lucky to be holed up with a bunch of women if not for what was outside and the sounds. We try to have at least on of us on over watch at all times with me taking most of it. Caffeine is my late night friend along with the NVG’s.

Most of the women do not have the stomach for what you would witness on watch. I would have to relieve a sobbing woman who could not handle the horrors of what lay beyond our fenced in fortress. Most of the women have been on radio watch with Walter as it gives them hope. Walter made them all chuckle with calling for “ICEMAN” and always saying “CONDOR OUT”. I would just give Walter the “hang tight buddy, it’s not looking too good out here” and he would just respond with “CONDOR out”. If he only knew what was going on above him he may never want to get out.

The first few days were quite uneventful and we would just see a few fast or slow movers around. The roads were dead and nothing really moving. I saw a few helicopters in the distance but that was about it. After around the third day, people started coming out of hiding and we started to see desperation at it fullest. We speculated about it and only could come up with the people were hungry, thirsty, and desperate. The first person I saw one morning while on the roof looking through the sniper rifle scope crept out of a storm cellar door that had caught my attention before. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me and then I say a person come out. He looked like he was talking to someone still inside and he closed the hatch. He was clutching a long barreled revolver and looked ragged. He was also holding an empty plastic milk jug. He was only a few hundred yards away and I did not want to get his attention just incase he was like the other guys at Walter’s house.

It would not matter anyways as he ran to his late model pickup truck and hit the keyless entry, but must have hit the panic button, which honked the horn and flashed the lights. In the quite dead calm town that was the loudest sound heard everywhere.  He did make it to his truck and turned off the honking but not without cost. There were fast movers first on the scene just as he slammed his door shut. They started pushing against his truck from every direction. You would hear the truck engine trying to turn over and over and I heard a shot fired. A lady came out of the storm cellar with a long barreled pump shotgun. She looked a tad under 300lbs but she moved with purpose and I heard her fire two more times. The truck finally started up with a big plume of black smoke as the man stuck his arm out the window shooting. He yelled, “get in” and he started to drive while she tried to climb in the bed. There was now 20-30 of those infected danger close with more coming. She may have had a chance is she was in good shape but there were to many of those things. I started to try and aim in but I just did not have enough ammo or a clear shot. She fell off the back and fired two more shots and started using the shotgun like a club. She was swarmed. I glanced back at the storm cellar door and could not believe what I saw next. It looked like a little girl peeked up from the opening just before about ten of those things went down into the cellar after her. Who ever else was down there was probably dead now and how could they leave a kid there with the door open. The truck was just sitting there with the engine now turned off and then I saw and heard a gunshot in the cab.

The next day I saw an old man with a large beer gut running around with a pitchfork and a pistol. He had coveralls on and what looked like a john deer hat on. One of his coverall straps were hanging off. He had large coke bottle glasses on with an emotionless look on his face. I was guessing him to be in the late 60’s to 70’s. He was only about 200 yards away when I saw him. I could see that he had blood on his cloths and writing on his shirt. His pitchfork also had blood on it and the pistol he carried was a military style 1911 .45 caliber. I was thinking of a way to signal him without giving away our position. He started to walk in our direction and I watched as he stabbed with extreme prejudice some slower moving infected in the head. Some were shambling around or crawling and he would just walk up to them and stick the pitchfork into their head usually in three quick jabs and pull it out and then keep on walking.

Once he got to within 100 yards I could see him clearly and partially make out his shirt. A right side shoulder strap covered most of the word “_rlds” and the words “Gre_est Gra_a” had blood spattered on it. The left side of his shirt that had the strap down also had what looked like an iron-on of a smiling kid. “Oh my” I thought, his shirt says:” Worlds Greatest Grandpa”.  I made my way down and told Ms Shandy to take over on the roof. I made my way out the door and then to the gate. I had the key on the lock ready and I started waving at him. Once he was around 50 yards he saw me and started walking faster. He got really close and I said, “Are you bit?” and he just looked at me and said in a frail old voice” No Sir, can you spare me some water I would be much obliged”. I opened the gate and walked him inside. Once inside one of the ladies recognized him as Farmer Stanley. They hugged and she asked about his family and his eyes watered up. One sound that was always hard to take was a grown man sobbing. I left him with the ladies and went back to the roof.

After that day I would see people fighting people, shootouts, infected growing in numbers, and more infected children. It was hard to see the world around you taking a major paradigm shift for the worse. It was a wasteland outside our little “Alamo” and I was starting to think we would all die here. Most of the town’s people that were in hiding have been running out of food and water. I was trying to get more of their attention without drawing the bad ones in. I witnessed robbery and murder from the roof. I saw a man shoot another man in front of his family just to take their bottled water. I quickly used one of the few remaining .308 rounds and shot him in the back. The family just grabbed the water and ran out of my view. At night I would see small lights moving around with people trying to get out. I did see one car actually make it some way out of town. The part that scared me was that the number of infected was really growing and it would be nice to get to the safety of Walter’s place. Our place was semi secure against the infected but not really against man. Our biggest defense was staying quiet and out of sight. I knew there were a lot of desperate people out there, and it would be hard to distinguish the bad from the good.

I would radio Walter and laugh because he would always tell me he has thousands of rounds of .308 that I could really use that was so close but so out of reach. Talking to Stanley I learned he was the worlds greatest grandpa and now has nothing to lose. He lost his wife a few years ago to the cancer and his grand children were his life. He was a Korean War Marine vet so him and I had an instant bond like he was my surrogate father. It was nice when he would come up on the roof with me and talk. He would clean his 1911 with a handkerchief. Life was not so bad for us in this storage building and could have been much worse. This was one rough week with all the horrors of the town and seeing fires in the distance at night through the NVGs. I could only think of staying here and maybe waiting it out though the infected grow more every day. We even have a few on our fence now just pushing against it.

After a week of scanning the area with the sniper rifle and making a range card I found something new. I’m pretty excited that while scanning the area I see an up-armored Humvee about half a mile away. One door is open and it looks like a few bodies on the ground near it. There is also a police SUV parked near it in what looks like a hasty roadblock. I am guessing it is one of the ones that got overrun. Lots of small country roads and this must lead someplace important. If I can get to one of those vehicles, that may give us options on a possible egress if things go south. “I’m going to go out tonight about a half mile and try to get a vehicle to bring back”, and the whole group just looked at me with a blank stare. “I’ll go with you” was Stanley’s instant response. “I need you to stay here and protect the women, they really could use a Marine to watch over them”. He just nodded his head and muttered “In the rear with the gear” as I responded back “And that pallet of candy bars you have grown so fond of”. Everyone laughed a little but then the uncomfortable silence hit. “If I bring a functional vehicle back we can park it in the fenced in lot and use it to escape or recon the area”. Everyone had my attention now, “Plus this food and water will not last forever…we can find a better location and maybe more survivors”.

One thing was bothering me that I did not mention was that there were so many more infected and it would be a lot harder even with NVG’s at night to bypass them all. I grabbed the radio and keyed it,” CONDOR this is ICEMAN I may need some more fuel for my tools”, and I waited for his reply. I was trying to be as discreet as possible incase anyone was monitoring radios as I have started to worry about that. “This is CONDOR, You need more guns and ammo…Roger that what is your ETA?” , I keyed in “Condor OPSEC over….Don’t reply back over…. but how many total are with you….that is what time I will leave over”. I waited and got a “Roger that…Condor out” and everyone in the group looked at me with confusion. “They have three people in their bunker so I’m leaving at 0300 or 3am” I said with a grin laughing as I glanced at my watch. I have just a few hours to get ready and get some sleep.
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#13]
keep it comin
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Did you quit?
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did you quit?

no sorry for delays. some issues in my life right now that will be drastic. I'll try to get another chapter out soon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok I'm moving from Wisconsin to Oregon so I apologize for some delays

BIG change in my life.

I will be traveling in my SUV with my G26 thinking of new chapters

I will try my hardest to get the next chapter out before I leave

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#17]
this was a good read, I can't wait for more!
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Was the OP scooped up during the "Rapture"?
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey photog, hope your trip has been an improvement.
Looking forward to more on this story . . .
over
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Was the OP scooped up during the "Rapture"?

Quoted:
Hey photog, hope your trip has been an improvement.
Looking forward to more on this story . . .
over

not scooped up

I am finally settled in in Oregon(took longer than expected)! I have internet and my computer hooked up (I was off the grid minus my iphone) so I hope to have some new stuff up soonI I do have to work all weekend but I have a few days off this next week that I have planned to finish the next few chapters.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#21]
That's awesome photog.
Hope Oregon turns out to be a good home for you.
I hear from friends that live there that the job market sucks and crime is up.
On the other hand, the hunting is amazing and the geography holds some real gems.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 12:16:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Sorry for delays. Had a death in the family, someone quit at work so I had to work every day, and it's just been a bit rough.
All is not bad though as I got to climb mt hood and Rainier a few weeks ago.

Hope to keep it going. This chapter was changed as I had a dream about it. I tried to make it as close to the dream that I had.

4 (14) FEAST

It was Zero-dark-thirty and I was out of the wire. I had the suppressed .22 and a handful of rounds. “Why do I get myself in these situations, I should have sent one of the girls” I thought to myself. Even though it was becoming normal to see the infected it still was hard to take in. The town was a mess, and the smell was hard to get used to. The smell of burning flesh was one that I hoped to never smell again and it was everywhere mixed in with rotting everything. My plan was to move swift and silent without shooting at all. I wanted to save my ammo. I was going to take the pitchfork with but thought it would better serve them back at the Alamo. With a bright moon and the NVGs I could see lots of movers and just hoped they could not see me.

The more I thought about it, I thought getting a vehicle and then getting the supplies from Walter made more sense. I kept a brisk pace as I got within a hundred yards from the humvee. The night was eerily silent though my heartbeat was getting stronger. The closer I got, the more corpses were on the ground.  From my view back at the Alamo the shrubbery was blocking most of the ground. I did not think there would be that much carnage. Some of the bodies were in US Army uniforms so I am guessing National Guard. The sight of IR flags glowing on the bodies saddened me though the NBC gear made me worried.

My method of travel includes stopping often, listening, and scanning 360 degrees around. I would see movement in the distance but nothing danger close. I could see the humvee really good now and noticed that it had a .50 cal Ma Deuce on top. I carefully made my way over a few more bodies as I crept up to the door. I flipped on the IR helmet light to get a better view inside with the .22 at the ready. I looked in and holding my breath as I exhaled in relief to see it empty. There were some rifles and ammo cans in the back. I saw a bunch of supplies and NBC gear. I quietly got inside and shut the door. I felt a bit more secure that I was inside and started to take inventory. There were 4 cans of .50 cal and a cardboard box full of AR loaded magazines. I moved some NBC gear and noticed a box of MRE’s and one package of bottled water. “Wow, I’m good to go!” I thought to myself as I crawled into the drivers seat.

I flipped the switch and waited for the “wait” light to go off. I was glad that it even came on. I then flipped it to start; it turned over for a bit and then fired up. I had visions of it not starting with me being trapped inside as hordes of infected swarmed in.  Once she was running I flipped up the NVG’s and turned on the headlights as I was glancing at the fuel gauge. “3/4 of a tank, not to shabby” I though and I started to look up. Then I noticed the large number of infected closing in on me. My plan was to run with the lights on out of town and circle back blacked out. I am guessing I’m pretty much surrounded but at least I have some fuel.

I started to move forward slowly as I had to go over some bodies and would soon be going over some of the infected. There were now about a hundred infected coming towards me on the road. I stopped and put it in reverse and slowly went backwards. I could see behind me a little and noticed only a few infected. I hit and ran over them as I got far enough away to park. With it idling I crawled to the back and popped my head out the turret. The .50 cal had a can of ammo but was not loaded. I quickly got up and flipped the top open on the ma deuce. I opened the ammo can and loaded her up. Two tugs on the charging handle felt so familiar and was muscle memory. With the headlights still shining forward and the horde of infected within 100 yards and closing I was ready. I did a quick 360 scan and only noticed one behind me. It was a slow moving rotting fat guy. I pulled out the .22 and put a silent one in his head. Once back in the direction of the main road that the horde was taking I took aim. I kept waiting, and waiting until they got within danger close.

Then the sound only Ma deuce can make unleashes. Tracers flying, body parts ripping, the sound of chug, chug, chug, chug, chug…as empty shells and links tumble against the roof. I did use the one ammo can but I cleared a nice path. Most of the infected were down for the count. Some still moving a bit but the ones in the front of the pack were hamburger. It felt weird opening fire on a group of people but they did want to chew me up after all. With the M2 smoking I crawled back down and got back into the drivers seat. I started to drive over the carnage and grabbed my radio. “Package picked up with bonus fire works over”, and I then heard “Roger that” from Walter and then someone from the Alamo responded back “Yee-haw good buddy, we were hoping that was you! Be safe and see you soon”.  I just responded with a “roger that though ETA unknown”.  I felt bad that I never checked out the SUV that was parked close though I saw a barn down the road that I wanted to get a better look at.

Driving down the road was like a scene out of so many post apocalyptic movies I had seen, but now I was the road warrior. Some sights were still hard to stomach though. I drove out of view of the Alamo but still within the town. I saw a school bus with bloody handprints on the windows. As I drove by I swore I saw movement inside. After that since the road thinned out I turned off the lights and put the NVG’s back on. It was a bit easier to drive past of the cars on the side of the road in the dim green light when you noticed bodies inside. The moon was fading and the sun was starting to rise. I made more noise and took more time than I wanted, so I would have to find a spot to wait out daylight.

On the outskirts of town I saw this storage facility that I pulled up to. Slowly driving up into the parking lot it looked vacant. You could drive all around the facility, which had small storage garages linked to a larger office building. I circled back around the larger office part to be out of view from the town. I parked and sat for a bit and noticed nothing moving. I shut down the engine and sat for a bit watching the surroundings. The sun was getting bright and I felt mostly out of sight from the infected in town. I grabbed one of the M4’s and made sure it was loaded. It had a red dot sight on it along with a tactical light. When I was loading the M4 my peripheral vision caught movement near one of the storage units.  I looked up and saw nothing but noticed that one of the storage units had skid pallets stacked up in front of it in the area that I caught movement. Sitting in the drivers seat I quickly scanned my mirrors and noticed someone running around the back of me. I quickly turned on the engine and put it in reverse. “What is this person doing?” I thought as I quickly did a Y turn.
The person was now out of sight. Behind the storage facility was a large field with waist high brush that leads to a hill.  I started to drive into the field slowly and decided it was not a bad idea to drive to the top of the hill. The hill was not that steep but I figured I could get a great view of the town from the top. I was creeping up the hill just about to crest when I hear a loud “thud” on my passenger side. An infected ran into the passenger side door. I hit the gas and crest the hill. It was not as big and flat on top like I expected and I was now going down over the other side. About 200 yards down this side of the hill I see a bunch of Plastic looking conex boxes in a fenced in area. They are white and joined together. They are the standard size but look much more modern. I then notice the movement all around the fenced in area. The area down below has high ground all around it as I try to hit my brakes. The hill is slick with the morning dew and I start skidding down. I realize that I’m heading into a small valley full of infected. The area looks like at one time it may have been a gravel pit and is now over grown.

I finally get the Humvee to stop about a 100 yards from the fenced in conex boxes. I notice that they have writing on them with the large letters “CDC” and notice more infected and bodies littered all over. I try to put it into reverse with no luck as the hill is too slick. All my commotion gets the attention of the infected and I’m a sitting duck. I crawl to the back and grab the 50.cal ammo cans and put them close to the turret as I take one up to the M2. Lock and loading as I scan the area. “What is this place?” I think as I instinctively load the M2.  This must have been a gravel pit at some point and is completely out of sight from the town. I start getting ready for the final stand as I scan the area and notice infected from all directions though mostly down below. The one thing they have in common is they are coming for me. I quickly go back down and grab the two M4’s along with the box of magazines. "I will start small and work my way up", I think as I start taking shots with one of the M4’s.

I have about 12 magazines and I just start firing. The sustained sound of me firing rapid well-aimed single shots is echoing. After the sixth magazine I switch to the other M4 as the other is getting too hot. I brush away the spent shells with my arm and aim in again. “Oh crap they just keep coming”, I think as I contemplate locking myself inside the humvee with the food and water but I know that is just slow suicide. I have been keeping the infected from getting no closer than 25 yards but I know I can’t keep this up. With one magazine left I keep it in standby and switch to the M2. I try to make single shots line up with multiple infected. They just keep coming and I keep reloading. I am down the last ammo can and I just hold the trigger down on the largest horde as I’m screaming and yelling as I am thinking “I’m going to die oh crap I’m really going to die”. As the last shell is expended I grab the M4 and start shooting. Now there are some within 15 yards. I just start firing and then hear the familiar thunk of an empty rifle as the bolt is locked the rear. I’m surrounded and this is it. I start to reach for my .22 as I can use it on myself as I have a thought of how this is it. I then hear the loud RIPPING sound from a minigun and feel the backwash from a helicopter. I turn around to see a UH-60 hovering on top of the hill firing down below.

The chopper moves in over me while still firing. Hot brass is hitting me but I don’t care. I see debris and dust blowing around, brass shells sprinkling out of the sky, and infected getting shredded. I’m in shock but then snap out of it when they throw down a wire ladder. I see the crew chief waving at me and I grab on as my humvee is getting overrun with infected. The sound of the rotors drowns out all other sounds but looking down I can see just how big the horde really is. There were now thousands of them down there as I clutch the ladder even tighter.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#23]
WOW
Kick ass!
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Never mind, apparently I cant read...duh
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 5:13:26 PM EDT
[#25]
SSSSSWWWWEEEEEETTTT!!!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Outstanding sir, please give us more.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Tag again
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Tag again

Link Posted: 7/25/2011 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Tag again

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#30]
sorry for the delays again

had some family emergencies (death in the family), financial issues ( Oregon income tax), and working too much. I just have to get my notes and thoughts organized for the next chapter. I like were it's going just need to get it into type. thanks for the support

Link Posted: 9/7/2011 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey, man.  Just checking in with you to see if you are ok?   Oh, yeah.....more story please.

Should we assume that this story is DOA?
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hey, man.  Just checking in with you to see if you are ok?   Oh, yeah.....more story please.

Should we assume that this story is DOA?

not DOA I have just been working too much. I need to consolidate my notes for the next few chapters and make it readable
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 2:23:20 AM EDT
[#33]
5 (15) Horde of Death

I feel as if I’m going to fall as I can hardly hold on but the will to live is strong. We are flying pretty low, but I still have a great view of the horror below and beyond. I gave up the idea of climbing the ladder and just keep holding on. Scanning the area I notice familiar landmarks and can tell we are going south. I now recognize “Bong Recreation area” just ahead. It’s a state park that was once intended for use as an Air Force base after World War 2.  I had camped and hiked at the park many times as a kid. I then feel us lowering as I see clearing. The park is around 4,000 acres though I was not familiar with this area. I see a secluded area with a fenced in cement pad. We are landing.

Once we touch down I look at the crew chief as he is pointing at a small building. He is also pointing to his head and signaling to duck my head down as I make my way away from the chopper. Once I’m cleared they take off and although thankful I’m a bit confused. I look around and walk to the small building. Just as I’m about to open the door, it opens and my heart almost stops. There is a man standing there pointing an M4 at me in NBC gear. “ARE YOU BIT, ARE YOU CUT OR INFECTED?” he yells as I scream “NO….Negative not bit or injured”. “Hands over your head and enter”, he said through the amplifier in his gasmask. The next few minutes were worse than a TSA screening.

The room was very clean looking and I saw a few clear plastic bubbles and was told to strip and get inside the first one. I took off all my gear quickly and stripped. At this point I’m not going to argue with a guy pointing a rifle at me. Once inside the first bubble it started to spray liquid on me. I still kept my hands touching my head but the liquid was quite cold and it felt like it lasted forever. “GET IN THE NEXT CHAMBER” the guy yelled at me as I shuffled into it. This one blew air on me and then I was told to get into the third chamber. This time the man held what looked like a UV light and shined it into the chamber. “He’s clear” he said as I saw the rifle go down. As he pointed at the only other door he said, “Go inside”.

I felt a little weird going inside a doorway naked but what’s a guy to do in this situation. Once I opened the door I saw a stairwell with a coat rack a long side it. There were flight suit type coveralls and flipflop shower shoes hanging on the wall. I quickly threw on the coveralls and some flip flops and made my way down. Once at the bottom of the stairs I saw a large vault like door that was open. It was getting brighter as I walked through it. “What the heck is this place?” I thought as I walked in. Once inside I felt as if I was in a Scifi movie out of the 50’s. “Welcome” a voice said as I scanned the area and saw a man in coveralls. “Who are you?” I said as I noticed that this looked like an old fallout shelter.

“I’m what’s left of the CDC in this area. Our other outposts have been overrun and this is one of the last secure areas Between Milwaukee and Chicago.”  “Bong recreation area?” I said with a confused look. “Yes, who would have guessed” he chucked as he motioned to follow him. We walked a bit down further into the fallout shelter and you could tell that the tunnel ahead was added on after the 50’s. “This section was added on in the 70’s and continually updated and only those with the need to know knew about it. It was a storage facility that was going to be used for secret projects, though that never happened.”  I laughed and said “Area 51 in Wisconsin?”. He looked at me and with a serious voice said, “Um no, but more in the NBC type of projects”.

“ARE YOU RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS” I screamed at him. “Oh god no, we couldn’t get this lucky”, he chuckled. “We have no idea what this is, and just know that it’s probably incurable….this horde of death”.  He looked down at the ground shaking his head. “We know you have others in your group as we have been monitoring the airwaves and also could see your use of IR lighting”. My eyebrows went up as I said “ And what now and of them?”  “We are getting outnumbered and need everyone that can fight to fight with us. It has been tiring having to also deal with the human threats too. After monitoring your group for the last few days we could tell you were not a threat. We need your group to be another outpost for our convoys. We know there are survivors and desperate people out there that are just hanging on.”

I just listened and took it all in. “We have an encrypted radio for you, MRE’s, weapons, and gear. We have a small element of Special Forces that we have been inserting into towns to train the people to fight these hordes. It’s the only option we can think of without destroying everything. Do you except this mission?” he chuckled. “You just want my group to be an outpost and observe?” I said as we kept walking through the tunnel. “Yes, and we saw the “USMC” meat tag tattoo on you when we decontaminated you. The helicopter that rescued you said you were laying down some heavy damage on the horde too. Well enough small talk, are you good to get going now?” As we started to get to the end of the tunnel I noticed it getting bright again. “What choice do I have” I chucked.

We walked out of the tunnel into another area outside that was fenced in. There were some newer MATV’s parked outside with a solder standing next to one. “Sgt. Gonzalez here will be your driver. Sorry for the brief chat and not showing you most of the complex but we need to keep this area between the two big cities infected free. I will be in contact with your group. The Sgt. Also has your personal gear and pistol”. I nodded my head and the strange man walked back into the complex. I looked around and actually saw more solders working on other MATV’s and loading supplies. “Get your gear and lets get going. Can you man that 240 in the turret? ” Sgt. Gonzalez barked at me.
“Sure thing” I yelled as I climbed aboard.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#34]
SWEET
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok I'm ending it with chapter 14 and making that the last with "to be continued" as it was a great climax to lead to the second half.

disregard chapter 15 (well consider it some spoilers but it was too forced and rushed) and it will be Part two

Life has been really busy and It may get busier

I want to spend more time on the second half and do it right.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I saw on the first post that it was coming to amazon but a search on my kindle turned up nothing. Any plans to put it on amazon still or is that out the window?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I saw on the first post that it was coming to amazon but a search on my kindle turned up nothing. Any plans to put it on amazon still or is that out the window?

I just submitted the revised 2nd edition version to amazon (chapters 1-14) and had someone proof it and then set it up for ebooks too on amazone. Not sure how long it will take though

I think it will be epup format

I have that file I can sent you if you want to test it out on your kindle
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Sure! Send me a PM and I'll get you an email address.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 7:42:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sure! Send me a PM and I'll get you an email address.

did it work for you?

If it does I will send it to anyone free (e-reader version)
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#40]
any new chapters?!?!  
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 6:17:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
any new chapters?!?!  

my job sucks so bad right now that I have no free time. I am back in Wisconsin and just found out that wisconsin had missile solos back in the cold war and are still here close to were I live they may find themselves in the story. I once I get a job with a set schedule  I will get cracking on this

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Ok this is a new chapter but it goes back to some of the video clips that walter saved. I hope you like this one. More to come back on the main characters though.

6 (16)
Black Friday

Jim was on his way to working another mindless day at the outdoor outlet mall. “This will be the day that I tell them to take this job and shove it”, he mumbled to himself. The mall had high-end discount stores spread out between parking lots and was full of rude international and Chicago shoppers.  It was a very popular outdoor mall. He was working his way through college after a stint in the Wisconsin National Guard with a couple deployments. The GI bill paid quite a bit, but he believed in working hard and saving for his future.

As he pulled into the shopping mall, it felt like his stomach filled with acid. His mood got even worse as he saw the full parking lot. He arrived early so he could find a spot to park and still go see Jill. She worked over in the food court and the two have been dating for over 6 months. Jim pulled into a spot as some FIB honked at him. “Hey, buddy I work here and I’m just trying to make a living” He yelled as he showed his store badge as a family in a late model BMW cursed him as he drove by. Jim learned he had to drive like a Chicagoan to get a parking spot or be late for work as it was like Mad Max in the parking lot.  As he pulled in he pulled out his CCW 380 bodyguard and locked it into the lock box in his Jeep.

He had a few minutes before he had to punch in so he went to the food court. “Hey Babe!” he yelled to Jill. She worked in the Pizza stand in the small food court. “Taking lunch together today?” she said as she smiled. “Of course, and see you in a couple hours”, Jim said as he smiled and took off to the clothing store. As he walked into his store he felt as if he was in a 3rd world country. He couldn’t understand what most people were saying, the store smelled as many shoppers didn’t bath on their days off, and people were just making a huge mess of the store. He noticed a Chinese family with surgical masks on shopping and laughed.

As Jim was neatly folding shirts on a table that kept getting messed up by customers he was planning his last day. He had saved up enough to live for a few months without work and had a promising 3rd interview on Monday for a company that liked Veterans and would work with his college schedule. Some sharp dressed Euro man broke up the daydreaming as he messed up the shirts Jim had just folded and walked away. Jim just smiled as he refolded them and mumbled “some day buddy”.

It was now complete chaos in the store and they were over capacity. Most rules of the mall got overlooked as long as they were making money. This mall only had high-end clothing shops with the “outlet” pricing. You would get traffic lines just to get into the mall most weekends. Jim noticed more foreign shoppers with surgical masks on as the day when on. “30 minutes and then lunch with Jill,” Jim happily thought to himself as he picked up a used diaper from the fitting room. “These people are animals” Jim chucked as he threw the used diaper in the trashcan by one of the Cashiers. Just then the phone rang and Jim answered noticing that it was an internal mall phone transfer so he did not have to do the usual fake greeting of the store. “Hey this is the manager over at the Discount name brand shoes, and we are calling mall security too. “Oh Great, shoplifters”, Jim thought.  “We had someone bite another shopper in our store and they are acting kind of crazy”. Jim thought that was really odd and said that he would pass on the information. Just then the high pitch whine of the fire alarm system went off with the flashing of strobes. “Oh great now this” Jim thought as he started to rush shoppers out of the store. The mall had a fire alarm system and policy that everyone had to leave the stores and wait for the fire department. Jim never saw a test before on a busy day. It took some time to get all the angry shoppers out of the store and then the manager locked the door as we all waited. Jim could see that all the stores in the outdoor mall were doing the same thing.

“Crack, Crack,” as everyone turned and looked in the direction of the discount shoe store. Jim knew right away that was gunfire as he also noticed the police car parked next to the store. People started to run as he heard more gunfire. “OH crap I have to get to my car” Jim thought as he noticed His manager and one other worker run and lock themselves back into the store. People were running and screaming everywhere. People in cars started driving over other people and crashing into other cars.

Jim parked pretty close to the store and jumped into his Jeep. He fumbled with the lock box to get his bodyguard 380 out with one extra magazine. He reached in the back and grabbed his Bug Out Bag that contained some survival items, change of cloths, a few MRE’s, and a few boxes of .380. “Breath Jim, Breath” he thought to himself as he viewed the chaos outside. He also noticed a news helicopter flying above. “I have to get to Jill” Jim thought as he looked at what he had to cross to get to the food court. The mall entrance was now blocked in a mess of smashed cars and a few police cruisers. Just as Jim was about to open the door that sharp dressed Euro man started beating on the window. He has a gash in his neck and his suit was ripped. He was just screaming in this frothy voice that send a chill down Jim’s neck. “Holy S#!T”  Jim screamed as he instinctively drew his .380.

He just pointed it at the man on the other side of the window and looked in disbelief. Jim scanned around and saw more of what looked like other shoppers biting and attacking people. Jim turned on the Jeep Radio and heard all he needed to with Civil defense warning tone with a voice stating “This is not a drill, Stay indoors…. infection…..”. The glass broke in a loud explosion as the Euro man’s fist finally when through. Just then Jim fired instinctively as the first shot was way to the right taking off the man’s ear due to the long trigger pull, though the second found its mark in the Euro man’s left eye.

Jim ran out of the Jeep and was dodging screaming people, and started to jump from parked SUV to another as he saw the total apocalyptic scene. From on top of one of the SUV’s he could see the interstate that was next to the Mall was gridlocked and in a similar situation. The news chopper was still flying above and he then saw what looked like an APC coming down the frontage road. It was going slow as there were so many wrecked cars already.

As Jim got to the food court building he noticed that some of the doors glass had spider webbed but were still solid. The mall has had some smash and grabs in the past and recently installed security window film on most of the stores. Jim tried to find a clear spot in the in windows to peer in. It looked empty as Jim reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone. He had 10 missed text messages from Jill. He scanned through them and noticed one said “back door 81538”. He noticed that most of the front windows had bloody handprints on them though most of the masses of people were trying to go the other direction to get towards the interstate.

Jim cautiously mad his way to the service alley behind the food court and it looked clear. He could see a service door ahead 25 yards. Just then he heard the loud thump of what sounded like .50 machine gun fire in the distance. As he was making his way to the door coming from the other end of the back alley was a person running at him. It was too bright out for his laser to work and the short sight radius made aiming tough.

He tried to sight in as he noticed it was that nice lady from the suit store that gave him a mall discount for his interview suit. She was covered in blood and shrieking a frothy scream. Jim fired 4 shots with one finally hitting her in the head. As she fell just feet from him Jim noticed the nametag that said “Betty”. Jim then noticed some other people running towards him, as he got to the door. It had a digital cipher lock on it and as he punched in 8, 1, 5, 3, & 8 and he heard a click. He opened it and jumped inside and slammed the door shut.  As soon as it shut he could hear loud thumps of people pounding on the door. The Fire alarm was now off but the strobe light was still flashing in a dark hallway. Jim pushed on the laser to pulse as he crept around and started to yell, “Jill, Jill were are you”

“JIM!!” he heard as she came out sobbing. “They all left, it’s just me in here I waited for you”. Once they finally stopped holding each other she told Jim how that since the mall office was in the food court building she saw that the Mall main manager got off the phone, hit the fire alarm, had everyone clear out while telling the food workers to stay, and then locked it up. The mall manager said it was not good and she was leaving as she sobbed and everyone else could too out the back. Jill had decided to stay and waited for him. She then heard gunfire and people pounding on the windows. When the people started to look scary she hid behind her food counter.  

The food court had a large Clock tower and Jill and Jim climbed up the service ladder to the top of it. What they saw made Jill cry and Jim shake his head. The interstate was a mess, fires in the distance, crazy people running around, and an Army striker half smashed into a store on the other end. The news helicopter was now gone. “This is not good  babe, but I think we are safe for now”, Jim said. “We have tons of food and things to drink in here”, Jill said. “Yes we do, Yes we do” Jim said as the two continued to watch the destruction unfold.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#43]
arisen............from the ashes like a Phoenix
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
arisen............from the ashes like a Phoenix

I'll try and keep it going. Work has been hell. I have been getting one weekend off a month

I'm taking some pto soon to finally get more done
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#45]
tag
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Got new job with normal hours and will be writing again very soon!!!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#47]
I finally caught up on the story. You have a new fan boy!
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 5:04:11 AM EDT
[#48]
TAG and Semper Fi Brother. Good Story!
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#49]
7 (17) The Road

Sgt. Gonzalez and I were driving down the endless county roads with the sometimes-normal backdrop of the quiet country life. Then we would come across a carload of people ripped apart and rotting. We used the Communications headsets to talk small talk as we drove. We only slowed down a bit to run over some infected or maneuver around some stalled cars. “Why use one of the guns when the MATV works so great on the infected”, Sgt. Gonzalez chuckled. I just laughed and started singing that old 80’s song with changing the lines to “I want my MATV …I want my MATV ….and chicks for free”. My smile disappeared as the Sgt said “Keep it frosty entering a small town”.

Pretty much all the county roads in Wisconsin hit pass through small little towns. They tend to be narrow roads with buildings and shops on both sides.  In normal times you drive through, blink, and then your passed already. We had to slow way down as some cars were blocking the road. “Oh my God, do you smell that?” I said as the most fowl rotting smell hit us. I could also see a house ahead with smoke coming out of it. I could feel the MATV slowing down as we maneuvered around a wrecked car as I heard “CONTACT LEFT CONTACT LEFT!”, and I turn to see that car in the ditch was not empty. There was a group of infected feeding on an unlucky and very dead driver. They quickly started to run our way. I put a few burst into them and felt a little at ease.

Ahead were a few more cars in the ditch and some in the road. I was a bit worried about the smashed up school bus just ahead about a 1/8th of a mile. “I’m going to have to move this car” Sgt. Gonzalez shouted as we slowed once more as the MATV started to push one of the wrecked cars with it’s massive front bumper. Looking down I could see the dead and rotting passengers inside and noticed the female passenger was wearing a pink shirt with “cancer survivor” on it. “At least they died in the crash” I thought as I then noticed the car that must have hit them.

The car had blood spattered on the windshield and it also was riddled with bullet holes. Just as I was zoning out on the car I heard the all to familiar “SNAP, SNAP” of incoming rounds as I could hear one ricochet of the MATV’s turret and slice into my arm. “INCOMING FIRE” I yelled and quickly scanned for a target. I noticed what looked like a fenced in storage container off to my right. I could now see a few guys on the roof in the prone position with rifles. “TWO GUYS AT THAT STORAGE CONTAINER TO THE RIGHT SHOOTING AT US” I barked at the Sgt.

I was now ducking low looking through the bullet resistant glass in the turret letting loose 6-8 round burst. After about 5 bursts I hit one of the guys and the other jumped off the backside out of sight. With all the shooting and us driving slow around all the road debris I didn’t even notice all the infected closing in on our location. “We are almost through this but we should investigate those guys” the Sgt said. “ I agree, and I shot one of them, just hope the infected don’t mind”. We slowed down and then backed up a little to head down the long driveway to the storage container about 200 yards off the town road. As we closed in a guy on an ATV sped off in the opposite direction. I tried to get the gun around and fire but he quickly got out of sight.

We pulled up cautiously to the storage facility and pushed the fence in with the MATV. I could now see the “sniper” on the roof. I quickly scanned back and noticed the infected were still safely far enough away for a few minutes to check this place out. The door to the container was open but just out of our view. I could see that the majority of my shots hit a little low though enough hit the sniper. I could see his tactical to the Max SKS lying next to him on top of the container. I was almost level with him up in the turret. A few shots actually went through the plastic folding stock and out the receiver it looked like.

“Cover me, I’m going to check this out” the Sgt said as he grabbed his rifle and got out. “Your good to go, infected ETA in about 5 mikes” I said in the relative quite as the engine was just idling. I kept scanning around as the Sgt. Carefully made his way to the end of the container and then button hooked around the corner. “OH MOTHER OF GOD YOUR NOT GOING TO F-ING BELIEVE THIS” the Sgt yelled as I could just see a look of shock and disgust. I grabbed my rifle and also got out and walked over to him. He was now covering his face with his shirt and once I walked over I knew why. I almost vomited.

Their was a some canned food, empty booze bottles, prophylactic wrappers, an Enduro motorcycle parked on the other side, some adult magazines sprawled out and some centerfolds taped to the walls. Then the smell hit me even more now as I saw the movement. It was their main attraction, the nude infected female bound with rope bent over a sawhorse. She had some kind of homemade muzzle over her mouth and towels taped over her hands. The Sgt quickly sighted in and took a head shot. In the flash of the muzzle we noticed movement at the end of the container. We both flipped on our tac-lights and the horror got even greater. At the far end of the container were some animal cages with more infected nude women in them. They were now clawing through the cages at us.

‘WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS THIS” I said as we both scanned the inside. “WE NEED TO CHECK THE SHOOTER AND THEN BURN THIS” the Sgt said. “Roger that, I’ll check out the shooter”. The backside of the container had a ladder against it and I cautiously climbed up to the top. Not sure if his sick partner was within shooting range
The shooter was wearing the familiar gothic garb that I ran into in the past and did not look that old. He was riddled pretty good too, so I just grabbed his wallet, smart phone, and really did not want to pat him down too well for anything else. “Not much on him, but the infected are getting close!” I told the Sgt. “HURRY UP AND GET DOWN AND LETS GET OUT OF HERE” The Sgt yelled. I could smell fuel as I climbed down and then noticed the Sgt using the gas out of the motorcycle to start a fire. He had the bike turned on its side next to the infected on the sawhorse. He threw a match as it went up with the infected in the cages still trying to claw out. We ran back to the MATV most riki tic.

We started backing out and I started shooting at the danger close infected. I looked back and saw black smoke poring out of the container. Even though we both had our headsets back on it was pretty quite minus the burst of the belt fed on the turret. I though I have seen a lot of bad stuff, but nothing as sick as that. Once back on the main road The Sgt maneuvered around the last few cars and we passed the last. It was a school bus. The windows had tiny dried blood prints smeared all over the inside. “It can get worse”, I thought to myself and I tried to not look into the bus. As we passed the town I looked back and could see something trying to claw out of the bus. I just turned back ahead and scanned the road. After a few minutes on the road I saw another sign that told us the next town would be ahead in 3 miles. At least the road was clear and that pungent smell was gone as I felt the MATV speed up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 7:49:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Holy crap..........

EXCELLENT
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top