Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 1:09:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Grog... I must say that I liked your old avatar (who ever it was a picture of) much better than the new one.

A butt plug with a tail?  You're not buddies with Kitwulfen are you?
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you can afford it the Yasue VX-7R is THE best handheld ham radio on the market , period.

are you making this up as you go along?
ar-jedi

what do you think the best handheld ham is ar-jedi?

best what?

value?
features?
accessory compatibility with other radios?

etc etc etc

FLDSCHMK made a statement that should have been followed by ", and here's why i think that:"

instead, he ended it with "period", as if there could not possibly be any further discussion because it was that good and no other radio would measure up.  and that's BS.

personally, i think 6m FM on an HT is worthless, and i would not (and did not) pay for a 6m FM capable VX7R when the VX6R provides all necessary/desired features and you don't pay extra for features you don't need.  but that's just me.    

the NY Yankees, btw, are the best team in baseball, period.  
the Corvette C6, btw, is the best car in the world, period.  
the Glock G19, btw, is the best handgun ever, period.  
and so on.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/20/2008 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you can afford it the Yasue VX-7R is THE best handheld ham radio on the market , period.

are you making this up as you go along?
ar-jedi

what do you think the best handheld ham is ar-jedi?

best what?

value?
features?
accessory compatibility with other radios?

etc etc etc

FLDSCHMK made a statement that should have been followed by ", and here's why i think that:"

instead, he ended it with "period", as if there could not possibly be any further discussion because it was that good and no other radio would measure up.  and that's BS.

personally, i think 6m FM on an HT is worthless, and i would not (and did not) pay for a 6m FM capable VX7R when the VX6R provides all necessary/desired features and you don't pay extra for features you don't need.  but that's just me.    

the NY Yankees, btw, are the best team in baseball, period.  
the Corvette C6, btw, is the best car in the world, period.  
the Glock G19, btw, is the best handgun ever, period.  
and so on.

ar-jedi

Well, you got one right...

Link Posted: 2/20/2008 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Thats okay, Yaesu-Glock fanatics.

There will be some Icom-XD40 people alive in the PAW, although I would rather have 4 $150.00 radios than one super duper WT that is less powerful on AA bats than a FRS.  In my experiance, either converted public safety radios or ham HT's based on them such as the VX150/170 or Icom V82/U82 will prove much more durable in the backcountry than the chic minature radios. My last trip out, I started to take my old Icom 2GAT that holds "8" AA batteries in the case. "Now thats a radio."

The best gun is the one you can engage multiple bad guys and win with.

RS
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would rather have 4 $150.00 radios than one super duper WT

+1.  so i "got both".  actually, i got three.  no, wait, i may actually have got four.  oh shit.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/20/2008 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#6]
The Standard Horizon is a neat little radio. As far as waterproof goes, if the radio is to be a lifeline, don't wear it outside of your jacket in the rain. Murphy's law might intervene and take away your comms. Speaking of waterproof, back when I first got into ARES in 1983, I went on a search for a missing woman who had been fishing near a river. Our group had to cross the river and search the far side. We did this on a large downfallen tree. After finding no signs, we returned to the tree and crossed over. One young guy was coming across when I heard a loud click, then a splash. A fellow in front of me yelled, "Was that a fire dept pager?" The young guy nodded mutely. This guy in front of me must have been an officer, bcause he stripped down to his boxers right in front of our group (two females included). He plunged into the river which was over his head in the area around the tree. Made a couple of impressive dives, but finally gave up and came back to the bank very exasperated. The ladies having gone, he took off his drawers, wrung them out, put them in his coat pocket, got dressed and started back to the command post. On the way, the kid asked him if the pager was waterproof? I had to hold back a laugh. The moral of this story is don't trust your comm gear to a plastic clip especially near "deep water". Get a holster or secure pouch to make sure you don't need to test the waterproofing.

RS
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 4:49:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not?  As far as what hams can afford, I see some who buy a $2000 radio every other year, why not spend a few more bucks?  Oh yeah, it does not say keyyeacom on it  

As far as the icom that was posted, they are idiots to go from a $400 HT to a $600 one.  I doubt it's actually rugged enough to justify the price jump.  

Motosnob!

But I looked damn sexy at the ARES meeting tonight with my Saber II  

$30 surplus gear FTW    

Always!

For ARES work a commercial rig on amataure freqs is the right answer 99.9% of the time. Even more so if you are a commercial rig with FPP-Sexy!

Personally, I love my big black Johnson!

efjohnsonpacific.com/images/Portables.jpg

Err... um...

Link Posted: 2/21/2008 5:07:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I wondered if anyone who doesn't hang out at Hamsexy would catch that....

I'm not any kind of intarweb n00b... but I'm not familiar with Hamsexy.  Care to fill me in?
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Local communications (tens of miles):  Any of the small, waterproof radios from the big manufacturers - the Yaesu VX-7 or VX-6 are ones I'm familiar with, and the Icom IC-92AD should also be more than good.

Local and long range communications (tens to hundreds to thousands of miles): You sacrifice waterproofness, but an "all band" radio like the Yaesu FT-817ND weighs just over 2lbs, and can use both the same bands the handhelds above and the HF bands that can propogate for thousands of miles.

More seriously, now that you know that there are radios that can do at least some of what you want, you need to study, get your ticket, and come back to the question.  Once you have your ticket, you'll have a baseline of knowledge from which to ask better questions, and be able to understand more of the fine points of the answers.
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The dark side of ham radio....

Don't go if you have thin skin, but if you are tired of the typical ham stereotype of the 70 year old guy who hasn't bathed in 2 weeks and want to see a younger, much less PC crowd who like radios drop on by....

It is much more "loosely" moderated than ARFCOM, but there are some very knowledgable folks there, especially when it comes to commercial radios.

Forum link is on the right side. Might take them a while to approve your account they individually check them all.

and you may find nekked pics of a midget.....

Just saying.....

Don't look at me.....

Link Posted: 2/21/2008 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Grog... I must say that I liked your old avatar (who ever it was a picture of) much better than the new one.

A butt plug with a tail?  You're not buddies with Kitwulfen are you?

Guess it's time to change it back.  Yeah, I changed it for someone in the furry thread who loved the fullsize picture so much  
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 2:39:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Who are you, why are you impersonating Grog? What did you do with him???

Link Posted: 2/22/2008 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The dark side of ham radio....

Don't go if you have thin skin, but if you are tired of the typical ham stereotype of the 70 year old guy who hasn't bathed in 2 weeks and want to see a younger, much less PC crowd who like radios drop on by....

It is much more "loosely" moderated than ARFCOM, but there are some very knowledgable folks there, especially when it comes to commercial radios.

Forum link is on the right side. Might take them a while to approve your account they individually check them all.

Looks like you have to be a member to even read their forums... or am I doing something wrong?
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 9:04:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Motosnob!

I had to el oh el. One of my friends uses this as his ID on his Moto. That's another benefit to these radios. If I miss who was talking I can look at the display and see the ID their radio sent.

Quoted:

I bet I look sexier with my XTS 3000 Mod 3.

Quoted:
With the encryption capability, is it civilian-legal?

Yes. As long as the key is posted somewhere. I haven't ponied up the cash for the encryption board but most of my buddies have them. One of the guys hosts the key on his site but it's not necessarily advertised. Of course, the key doesn't do you much good without the software and equipment to load it.

Encryption isn't necessarily a must-have. Not many people have the digital radios so they won't hear your digital transmissions anyway. Well, they'll hear the annoying hash on their analog radios and either turn the volume down or move to another freq.

Quoted:
What does one of those sweet babies go for?

I can't speak to the Harris, but the Moto I carry is about $600-$1200. It's not often you can find a Mod 3 for the low end of that. I'd say $800 is probably about average. Mod 1 is about $300-$400. Mod 2 about $500-$600.

It's a conversation piece at work. A lot of people make jokes about going retro because the Moto is a beast. I was on the elevator once and someone asked why it's so big or why don't I carry something smaller. I tossed it up into the air and let it slam into the floor. Then I picked it up and put it back on my belt. I said, "That's why. It can take a licking."
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
can't speak to the Harris, but the Moto I carry is about $600-$1200. It's not often you can find a Mod 3 for the low end of that. I'd say $800 is probably about average. Mod 1 is about $300-$400. Mod 2 about $500-$600.

Way off from current prices.  XTS3K are less than $600 every day, model II (which really, I never saw the need for a III) are around $400 or less for UHF, a little more for VHF, but not much. Mod 1 will run $300 with a brand new flash, but anything less drops pretty quickly, even sub $200 for analog only flashes.  

I still prefer the saber lines, so I would stick with an astro saber if I needed digital.  Heck, I just bought a minty analog saber non secure just so I could have a "petite" saber, now I need the LiIon 2" battery to be complete

I had no use for digital or UHF, so I sold mine that I got on a trade.   Actually, I bought a XTS5K, traded that for a ASIII UHF and a ASI VHF, sold the ASI VHF, traded the ASIII UHF to the guy I got it from for the XTS3K, then sold it.  Doubled my money on that 5K, just took several months
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Way off from current prices.  XTS3K are less than $600 every day, model II (which really, I never saw the need for a III) are around $400 or less for UHF, a little more for VHF, but not much. Mod 1 will run $300 with a brand new flash, but anything less drops pretty quickly, even sub $200 for analog only flashes.  

Bah, I wouldn't say way off except for maybe the 3. It all depends. There was a douchebag trying to sell a 2 for $800 at one of the hamfests. I'd agree on the 3, though. I'd probably stick with a 2. My buddy has a 5000 and I think that was $1200.
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Well I am talking about hamsexy/batlab prices, I would never buy any real radio at a hamfest, those guys are usually complete idiots.  Lat year some dummy was trying to get $400 for a JT1000  

Basically, hamfests and real radios, don't mix.  The only way I'd even buy a radio of egay is if the seller is someone I know and trust from one of the above forums.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#21]

you two should petition the mods about getting your very own "exclusively motorola" forum.

then we wouldn't have to listen to all of your upper/ruling class drivel down here in the yaesu/icom/kenwood slums...

ar-jedi  

Link Posted: 2/22/2008 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
you two should petition the mods about getting your very own "exclusively motorola" forum.

then we wouldn't have to listen to all of your upper/ruling class drivel down here in the yaesu/icom/kenwood slums...

ar-jedi  

I won't even speak to the little people long enough to make more of a post than this.

Link Posted: 2/22/2008 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I won't even speak to the little people long enough to make more of a post than this.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o76WQzVJ434

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/22/2008 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Bloody peasant!  
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I miss my watery tart. She was hawt!
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

ar-jedi  

Don't include me, I slum it with analog, unlike those IMBE snobs  

Plus remember Garand with his Big Black Johnson, it's as close as a /\/\ as you can get though  
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 5:44:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone have or try the 817?  I will be upgrading to my general soon.  I am familiar with the limitation on power. I am on the ground camping and hiking alot, That is why I was considering it. I wish I could get my hand on one of those Harris radio's.......
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 6:13:45 AM EDT
[#29]
I think it'd make a great qrp rig. There are a couple on eham. One says <1 hr Tx time for $425.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not?  As far as what hams can afford, I see some who buy a $2000 radio every other year, why not spend a few more bucks?  Oh yeah, it does not say keyyeacom on it  

As far as the icom that was posted, they are idiots to go from a $400 HT to a $600 one.  I doubt it's actually rugged enough to justify the price jump.  

Motosnob!

$30 surplus gear FTW    

Always!

For ARES work a commercial rig on amataure freqs is the right answer 99.9% of the time. Even more so if you are a commercial rig with FPP-Sexy!

Personally, I love my big black Johnson!

efjohnsonpacific.com/images/Portables.jpg

Could you give us a little more info?  Where do you get them.  What model do  you have.  What do they cost?
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Small Wonder Labs Rock-Mite, built into Altoids tin, epoxy potted. I recommend the 7.040 version; there's almost always someone at least monitoring there and it works even when you are 300 miles from the nearest VHF/UHF repeater, and even when you are in the bottom of a canyon. You can also power it effectively with button nicads recharged by a squeeze flashlight.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 6:43:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I can't remember the last time I knew I was 300 miles from a repeater. Might have been on one of the cruises I took in 2002. Of course, in the PAW, you could easily find yourself 300 miles from a repeater that works.

RS
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top