BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was where you are at 30-years ago during the last Arab oil induced depression. Inflation was eating away dollars at rest so I spend them as fast as I could. I bought a lot of durable goods and "fun stuff". After losing 75% of my life savings in the Savings and Loan collapse I found a whole 'nuther distrust of the banking system and the greedy bastards that run it. Oddly enough we're in the exact same space as we were in the early 1980s - an Arab oil induced depression and banks collapsing due to the theft of funds.

My one saving grace was working for the military my retirement savings were taken out automatically for 24 years. Since those days long ago the military now offers a thrift savings plan that allows the soldiers, sailors, and airmen to add their own money. Those that can ought to toss in $50 or $100 a month starting this payday. Now that I'm a civilian I'm pouring money into my retirement savings and I am living very comfortably now and have my military retirement to take care of me and mine.

It is about a 98% chance that you'll live to retirement age and every dollar you put away today will pay back three in 36 years given normal steady up and down returns.

There's about a 99.9999999% chance that the end of the world won't come during your life time and even smaller chance over the next five years.

Don't forgo your obligation to yourself to buy things for your truck - pay yourself first, save your money until you've got 6-months invested in something instrument you can put your hands on quickly.

"Retirement funds" are not some generic thing you stick money into, that makes more money.

Right about now, not very many people can depend on work-provided retirement plans - people just don't realize it yet.  That goes even for the .gov and military.

IRA's and 401(k)'s are not safe either; there has been talk a number of times of seizing them (yes, all of them), nationalizing them, and replacing them with a national retirement plan.  Those with very large amounts saved for retirement would get the same payout as those who saved nothing - because they'd be subsidizing them.  This has happened in other countries before.

Putting money into the stock market right now is foolish.  Putting money into federal bonds/etc isn't a great idea, either, and putting it into state/local bonds is insane.

Banks are not secure, and will not be for some time.  The FDIC is running on credit from the .gov, bank failures are accelerating, and at least one more large one is coming in the next month or three (Citibank).  There are still trillions of USD in bank losses to sort out.

Gold and silver exchanges are currently undergoing a a lot of scruitiny due to "oops, we don't actually have all the gold in inventory that we claimed"; gold-backed securities have turned out to not actually be backed by gold.  This is screwing with precious metal prices.  Don't even think about investing in gold or silver unless you actually have the physical material.

At this point I have no idea what would make a good investment.  The short version is that we're just fucked in general, it's just a matter of how much and how long it'll take to recover.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was where you are at 30-years ago during the last Arab oil induced depression. Inflation was eating away dollars at rest so I spend them as fast as I could. I bought a lot of durable goods and "fun stuff". After losing 75% of my life savings in the Savings and Loan collapse I found a whole 'nuther distrust of the banking system and the greedy bastards that run it. Oddly enough we're in the exact same space as we were in the early 1980s - an Arab oil induced depression and banks collapsing due to the theft of funds.

My one saving grace was working for the military my retirement savings were taken out automatically for 24 years. Since those days long ago the military now offers a thrift savings plan that allows the soldiers, sailors, and airmen to add their own money. Those that can ought to toss in $50 or $100 a month starting this payday. Now that I'm a civilian I'm pouring money into my retirement savings and I am living very comfortably now and have my military retirement to take care of me and mine.

It is about a 98% chance that you'll live to retirement age and every dollar you put away today will pay back three in 36 years given normal steady up and down returns.

There's about a 99.9999999% chance that the end of the world won't come during your life time and even smaller chance over the next five years.

Don't forgo your obligation to yourself to buy things for your truck - pay yourself first, save your money until you've got 6-months invested in something instrument you can put your hands on quickly.

"Retirement funds" are not some generic thing you stick money into, that makes more money.

Right about now, not very many people can depend on work-provided retirement plans - people just don't realize it yet.  That goes even for the .gov and military.

IRA's and 401(k)'s are not safe either; there has been talk a number of times of seizing them (yes, all of them), nationalizing them, and replacing them with a national retirement plan.  Those with very large amounts saved for retirement would get the same payout as those who saved nothing - because they'd be subsidizing them.  This has happened in other countries before.
Americans have a different mind set than other countries, for all our sheepish actions the last few decades, we really are cut from a different cloth, if the government did do this, there would be blood in the streets, and not so much the citizens, I don't think there would be a safe place in America for the bankers, politicians and even local government.

Putting money into the stock market right now is foolish.  Putting money into federal bonds/etc isn't a great idea, either, and putting it into state/local bonds is insane.

Banks are not secure, and will not be for some time.  The FDIC is running on credit from the .gov, bank failures are accelerating, and at least one more large one is coming in the next month or three (Citibank).  There are still trillions of USD in bank losses to sort out.

Gold and silver exchanges are currently undergoing a a lot of scruitiny due to "oops, we don't actually have all the gold in inventory that we claimed"; gold-backed securities have turned out to not actually be backed by gold.  This is screwing with precious metal prices.  Don't even think about investing in gold or silver unless you actually have the physical material. Which should make having the physical gold and silver much more valuable, at least temporarily. if the government did make owning physical gold illegal (Ala 1930's) see blue post above.

At this point I have no idea what would make a good investment.  The short version is that we're just fucked in general, it's just a matter of how much and how long it'll take to recover.

That's why studying countries like Argentina, Bosnia, the soviet union and Japan for recent history of collapse and results of it are so important. for anyone who thinks it can't happen here, just does not know history. I WILL happen here, just a matter of time. it may not be this crisis that sets it off, but it has a better than 50/50 chance of doing so.

America is only a little over 250 years old, the rest of the world has 1000's of years of history, and has surged and collapsed several times. only technology has changed, not the humans the wield it. we are still petty, jealous, greedy, envious, egotistical, emotional creatures. the world has always had it's good people, and it's great people, but it's the bad ones that always bring about the calamity and destruction.

and while I have faith that the human race will survive and carry on, I am under no illusion that large swaths of humanity will die because of the next calamity started here in America, (maybe within the next few years).

Hows that for a ray of sunshine?
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I've read better 2/10

ETA double points for not cussin'

4/10
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've read better 2/10

ETA double points for not cussin'

4/10

sweet.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#5]
With how much work has been done to the truck already I could see doing the stuff you listed in your original post.

Even though you don't have tools you might find some local toyota guys willing to help out if you give them a hand with some of their projects.  More and more 4x4 boards are having build weekends and similar things because a lot of stuff is just a whole lot easier with more than one person doing the work.

And you can buy tools cheap right now.  Lots of mechanics are out of work and trying to sell their tools so you can wind up with an excellant assortment of tools for not much money.  To some extent the money you spend on tools is what you would be paying someone else to do the work on your vehicle and once you buy the tools and use them they have somewhat paid for themselves and are ready for you to use on another job in the future.

Then again I know some mechanics still in business who are slow and might make you a decent offer on doing a full days work on a vehicle.  Just depends on your area on that though.

All the above is based on the posts saying you are happy with the current level of the truck when it comes to power and ability and what not.  The other stuff is just kind of wear and tear items that should be replaced now and then because they do wear out, things like the bushings in the springs and what not.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I would put a "to do" list together and pick at things when you have time/money to deal with it.

Old trucks are not an investment but having a reliable, paid for rig is money in the bank vs new truck payments.

Nice rig... Where did you get the rear bumper/tire carrier? Been looking for one.

My junk... 87 extracab, 277,000 miles 4in lift, 4:88s, 33s, lots of electronic crap, sleeping platform, lots of on board survival/recovery/expedition gear.

Future plans.... IFS delete (I hate the current lift on it), lockers and moar body armor.

ETA: You said it was running a bit rich... Check the TPS and the MAF. Mine was running really rich when I bought it. Previous owner had tinkered with mine, tested and set back to stock, runs nice now..

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I say go for it!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No matter what you do to it, it is still a 21 YO vehicle.

I would not be putting a whole lot of money into it.

No matter what you do, it will never be as reliable as a newer one
. For what you are thinking of putting into it, and what it is probably worth, you could put a really nice downpayment on a new one and with the various incentives not have to take on much of a loan.

not true.  a friend of mine has restored various vehicles to better than new condition.  he strips them down to the frame and completely rebuilds them, but he builds them the way the factory should have, but didn't.  he has built amazing land cruisers and fjs.

Perhaps, if you are willing to pay $10,000 or more (or the equivalent in your labor) into a vehicle that will be worth 30% of that.

I had a friend that had a late 60s flat bed truck with a plow on it. He used it to snow plow in the winter and once plowing season was over he tore it down to the frame and built it back up so that by the time plowing season came along, it was ready to go. It was probably better than new when he was done. My problem with his approach was that he spent 500 hours or more each summer of his time in the process. He could easily have been working as a mechanic for someone making $25 an hour, instead he was taking a truck worth $2500 and making it worth $3000 so he could net about $25 an hour plowing snow.

OTOH, he liked what he was doing.

If you want a 21 YO truck, I see nothing "wrong" with that.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#9]
It is a gearhead thing....

Non gearheads usually don't get it.

It is the satisfaction of "I built it" and "mine is the only one exactly like it". I get the same satisfaction out of just about everything I build, be it cars, computers, guns, a set of shelves, whatever.

Would be the same as making $10,000 worth of car payments on a truck that is worth $4,000 when you are done paying it off.

As for reliability, I would jump in either of my trucks (both have over 200,000 miles on them) and drive cross country with no concerns. I had a two year old chevy truck that I would not trust to go more then 20 miles from home.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#11]
TJ I'm tempted to say that you just wrote one of the best Smart Car ads I've read, Or maybe that was a great anti Smart Car ad.

Keeping it real ............................................................................................................. FUN
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Hold on to your money until a part really needs replacement. If you don't know the signs of what needs replacement hunt up a friend who is a working knowlegeable mechanic and get an opinion. Leaking wheel seals,brake fluid leaks or brake shoes worn over 75% spend the money. Small cracks in the spring rubber is not unusual, you just dont want the bushing loose. If the springs have lost the arc and a pro thinks they need repair do it but not just because it has lots of miles on them.

If a major SHTF happens you will have many vehicles to swap out parts and keep yours going . Download free service manuals & buying a paper set will be the best way to spend a few bucks in the long run.

Keep your money there may be many more important uses for it.

Red
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:05:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Pretty sure i recognize the bronco in this pic...

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#15]
ETA:  I'm an idiot who doesn't read the whole thread.  I encouraged you to do an SAS, which you already have.  So here's my advice:  Pick up a junkyard computer, and install it to test it for function.  If it works, put it in an improvised Faraday cage (ammo can with dessicant inside, grounded with a wire).  Save this computer for post-SHTF.  After that, GO TO PIRATE4X4 DOT COM FOR YOTA INFORMATION.  Those guys are the Yota rock stars.  Ask questions in the Toyota Truck and 4Runner Forum.  They're harsh, but they're awesome.  Don't let them hurt your feelings, they're brutal.  Good luck.  

ETA Again:  4.3/700R4 swap?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:10:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[.

so far I have about $12,000 into this project.

there are so many mechanical and non-mechanical custom up grades the post would be as long as Genesis in the bible....

If you have put $12,000 into a 1988 Toyota truck with 200,000 + miles on it you are building a toy to play with and you will probably end up putting the other $5 grand into it as well eventually...Absolutly nothing wrong with this if that is what you like and after all it is your money...its like guys that put all that money into a hot rod except they can't use the excuse that it is for thier BOV

I don't think this has much to do with "survival"  but more about building up a 4X4 to go play around in,...realistically what do you think you be surving that a truck like this would be needed or all the upgrades would be used ? Yeah, yeah it's neato and all that but how in just about any situation you are going to see how will it be all that much better then a stock , or lightly modified [things like a winch, lights, racks, etc] 4X4 that could be bought with less miles on it and for less.
I have a '87 Toyota 4X4 with 100,000 and that I paid $3,000 for 7 years ago, runs great and has never given me any trouble...Im having a real hard time thinking of how if I invested an additional $14,000 into it it would be all that much better......but then I bought my truck as a working truck to use and not something to play around with.....T.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:25:31 AM EDT
[#17]
rebuilding old trucks is just not cost effective.  The$ 5K you are talking about, on top of what you have already spent, would have purchased a late model truck.
I put another $800 into my 1988 4Runner recently, but I don't intend to do any massive rebuilds.  We already put in a new 22R engine, rebuilt the auto trans and transfer case, added all new breaks, tires,  shocks, springs, and hubs.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top