User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#1]
SKS
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:05:09 AM EDT
[#2]

I was just raised in a NY Italian-American family so we're good about wonderin' about the guy with the thing that might wanna think about the stuff we talked about at the place with the other guy .

lol
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Shotgun...

Price is right for new. Easy to use for all members of the family.

Shotgun ammo is very easy to get a hold of no matter where you are, not the case with a sks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#4]
sks
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#5]
SKS.  Easy to use, extremely durable and idiot proof.  Quick and easy to load (stripper clips aren't all that slow).    Semi-auto rate of fire.  Less recoil than a shotgun (or a .30-30 repeater, for that matter).

The SKS has a 10 round magazine capacity and the capability of accepting detachable increased-capacity mags if required (Tapco 20-rounders work).  

Very few shotguns have a 10 round magazine capacity or the capability of accepting 20+ round magazines - and the few that do (like the Saiga) are most certainly not $200.  

7.62x39 remains one of the cheapest and most common centerfire cartridges in the world.  With properly-designed bullets, the 7.62x39 can perform like a "light" .30-30.  

Not all 7.62x39 is as inadequate as military FMJ, whose lethality is on par with 9mm FMJ.  

The Winchester 123 gr. PSP and the Wolf Military Classic 124 gr. JHP are very good performers in 7.62x39.  Lapua used to make a 125 gr. JSP in this chambering, but it has been out of production for quite a few years.  

.30-30 Winchester may be more available in the US than 7.62x39, but it is most certainly more expensive.  I am unaware of any semi-autos in .30-30 that use a magazine with a capacity of 10 rounds or greater.  

This argument can be simplified to one of "Repeater vs. Semi-Auto".  We know which one tends to win that argument.  

There's a reason why civilian police forces are generally transitioning away from shotguns and learning to embrace the semi-auto carbine.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

There's a reason why civilian police forces are generally transitioning away from shotguns and learning to embrace the semi-auto carbine.  

Follow the leader syndrome isn't always the best course of action.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#7]
If and when the shit does hit. The first guy you have to kill isn't going to be 100 or 50 yards away. He'll be 15 to 20 feet away coming through your front door and there are going to be 1 to 3 of them not 10 to 20. Now you have your gun and his/theirs.

I get back to just how best to spend $200. I would rather have something common, new and most people are familiar with. A pump scatter gun is easier to load and shoot and very common.

Just saying...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If I only have $200 to spend then it would be this. Maverick 88 Security 8-Shot Model and a used Taurus Model 85 or Charter Arms Undercoverette .

www.maverickarms.com/pages/images/guns/31046big.gif

www.charterfirearms.com/images/products/guns/undercoverette.gif

The Maverick is made by Mossberg and they work well for their price range. Same with Charter Arms and Taurus. Not the best but good little guns for their prices. Out of the three the Maverick series of shotguns are actually worth their prices new. They are 100% good economical shotguns.

Reason why? With a 8-shot 12 gauge I can have something that I can fight back with. Slugs, Buck, etc... also I can hunt. Major key of surviving is eating. The small frame .38 caliber revolver because a pistol is better then no pistol. I've seen all three of them go for around $100 each used. Also I can find used Smiths around the $100 price range. Beat to shit in terms of looks but they will work.

i've had a taurus 85ch (concealed hammer) for about 14 years, absolutely love the gun.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If and when the shit does hit. The first guy you have to kill isn't going to be 100 or 50 yards away. He'll be 15 to 20 feet away coming through your front door and there are going to be 1 to 3 of them not 10 to 20. Now you have your gun and his/theirs.

I get back to just how best to spend $200. I would rather have something common, new and most people are familiar with. A pump scatter gun is easier to load and shoot and very common.

Just saying...

while your scenario is true for some, it doesn't hold water for others.  i live in the middle of a field no large trees, except right next to the hosue, our dogs run the field, nobody gets closer than 100 yards to our house w/o the dogs letting us know.  for me, if TSHTF and i needed a weapon, it'd be for shooting a lot farther out than 15 to 20 feet.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I was just raised in a NY Italian-American family so we're good about wonderin' about the guy with the thing that might wanna think about the stuff we talked about at the place with the other guy .

lol

I know what he means
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

I love it
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Is your SHTF rifle really something you want to bargain shop for?

I'd rather do a careful build of milspec AR parts over a period of time concentrating very heavily on the actual internals than various tacticool furniture.  An AR rifle build can be completed for around $700 or less if you are careful and patient.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Shotgun...

Price is right for new. Easy to use for all members of the family.

Shotgun ammo is very easy to get a hold of no matter where you are, not the case with a sks.

No..

The stout recoil makes a shotgun unpleasant to shoot for most women and kids, which means they wont be practicing much.

And don't plan on going to the store during shtf and buying some of that "easy to get ammo", the store will be closed, under rubble, flooded or long since cleaned out.

The only ammo you can plan on is that you acquired and cache beforehand.

Just saying...

No, its slower to load than almost any type of rifle, follow up shots slower and absolutely is not easier to shoot.

And it isn't not a "scatter gun" your group is about 2" at ten feet.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#14]
a sigle shot 12 gauge and a 22lr bolt action rifle.

with a little looking you can get both for under your budget, plus a little ammo

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
SKS? Really?  that's such horse shit..

People fail to see.. SHTF is about staying alive and safe.. it's not a chance to go out and fight the forces of evil with your 50 year old surplus rifle. You should be trying not to get into 200yd running gunfights with your neighbors after hurricanes/tornados/floods

Shotgun.. ALL THE WAY.

You have so many ammo choices.. any sporting goods store that stocks ammo will carry 12ga something. "People".. regular neighbor people.. will have 12ga.

Try to hit a running rabbit or shoot a bird out of the sky with an sks..

Shotgun Shotgun Shotgun..

NICE RANT, BUT

shotgun ammo is HEAVY! at one ounce per shell, you can't carry nearly as much ammo as with any other gun, even the dreaded sks.

if you need to carry your ammo, you are SOL

sks ammo is a lot lighter, and the rifle itself is reliable, acurate to kill a deer at long range, the bullet is slow enough that you can shoot rabbits and such without exploding them.

And it makes a heck of a good defencive weapon.

if I was seriouse about shtf, and I only had $200, (and wasn't already armed) I would choose an sks.

for practical purposes, it is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have seen used Savage 110s in .270, with scope, for $225-250.  If you are really short on cash do milsurp: a Mauser M-48a or a Moisin-Nagant 91/30.   In some situations being able to kill something from far away may be useful.  

another good choice, and oyu can use the bayonet spike to roast food over the open fire

I'd get the shorter m44 though,

with head shots you can take rabbits and other small game.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
to the OP: hell man, you didn't put that information in the original post. if we knew you had the ak and shotty and whatnot i imagine you would have gotten a lot more responses for picking up a .22 and a more common calibered handgun...

+1,000,000

a 22 rifle or a  HANDGUN!!!! (or a 22 handgun, you know, get both?)
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Unpleasant in Az.    In my area yes I do. I don't live in a very populated area now. I don't see me moving toward populated areas at all. I agree with Thunder Ranch. Use your pistol to get to the rifle you should never have set down. You can be quiet about what you have, you don't have to wave the weapon around. Living on the coast (and I mean literally ON the coast) for Rita I know even there I wanted and had a rifle and shotty. I also had my glock but the shotty gets attention much better (learned from Jack Horn, my training officer in the SO). Lucky for me I did not need to use anything. But I had it if I needed it. Ken
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I would probably opt for an SKS for a rifle given the parameters. If I could only have one gun, I'd have to pick a handgun for concealability and the ability to have it on my person at all times. $200 should buy a decent used revolver or Makarov type pistol. Rifles are the best for their lethality, range, and ease of use. Practically speaking - it's not usually feasible to carry a rifle 24/7.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
sks or mossy 500

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

And it isn't not a "scatter gun" your group is about 2" at ten feet.

Dude...   please... Relax

Scattergun is a nickname for SHOTGUN, or is your ass really puckered up that tight.

Opinions are like assholes... and I'm very opinionated.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Just saying...

And in that scenario, what exactly is the advantage of the shotgun over the SKS?  

Once again, Carbine > Shotgun for most people.

Faster to shoot, faster to reload, more accurate, easier to handle, better penetration against soft body armor.  

For the average person, a SKS would be superior over the shotgun.  As mentioned before, I do use a shotgun as my primary HD longarm, but that is soley due to eye dominance issues, and the shotgun is fastest for me to get on target for the 1st shot.  Most people are the opposite.  

SHTF, and the carbines would come out.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just saying...

And in that scenario, what exactly is the advantage of the shotgun over the SKS?  

Once again, Carbine > Shotgun for most people.

Faster to shoot, faster to reload, more accurate, easier to handle, better penetration against soft body armor.  

For the average person, a SKS would be superior over the shotgun.  As mentioned before, I do use a shotgun as my primary HD longarm, but that is soley due to eye dominance issues, and the shotgun is fastest for me to get on target for the 1st shot.  Most people are the opposite.  

SHTF, and the carbines would come out.  

I personally choose a rifle (specifically an SKS in my case) because rifles are what I have the most experience with.  I have virtually no experience with pump-action shotguns; I just haven't shot them very much.  

I am very familiar with the function and manual of arms for the M1 Garand from high school JROTC.  I find the SKS to be very similar to the M1 Garand in terms of function and manual of arms.  

I am a firm believer in the concept of sticking with the weapons that you "know" the best.  Besides, no one makes stripper clips for a shotgun or lever-action .30-30.  Single-loading individual rounds is slow.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Boom, I understand and it is valid, I myself have ARs and Sig hanguns for SHTF, but when teaching someone to shoot I find they get use to a shotgun (scatter gun) faster than carbines. With carbines they tend to concentrate on aiming instead of shooting. Its all about reaction when your butt is on the line.

But again that is just my opinion, I am no expert.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
SKS, no upgrades but a sling.

Same here.    
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#26]
SKS Its light,short,low recoil,easy to maintain,parts availability,easy to reload and proven in many climates and countries in the worst conditions imagineable. I would feel a lot safer with the SKS over a 12 ga any day. With a cheap Chinese chest pouch full of ammo in stripper clips a person can get the job done and be ready for most anything.

Red
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#27]
$200 really?

Since AKs are more than $200 now, the sks is next.

If you think you'll be in gunbattles you should move now.

Why shoot at a running rabbit?  They only go a few yards and stop.

I won't waste any ammo on a bird unless it's a turkey and they walk more than they fly. Not surprisingly, rifles are not legal when hunting turkeys here because it is too easy.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And it isn't a "scatter gun" your group is about 2" at ten feet.

Dude...   please... Relax

Scattergun is a nickname for SHOTGUN, or is your ass really puckered up that tight.

Opinions are like assholes... and I'm very opinionated.

I was thinking of all the people who've posted in similar threads who think you don't have to aim a shot gun, that its some sort of area weapon.

Now, please stop thinking about my ass, you're creeping me out.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#29]
LOL...  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#30]
If you can find a BOLT action rifle with scope for that much the that would be my answer so you can hunt all forms of critters but a shotgun is a good second choice. For surviving out in the wild a 22 would be very handy. None of these are handguns or an SKS.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
$200 really?

Since AKs are more than $200 now, the sks is next.

If you think you'll be in gunbattles you should move now.

Why shoot at a running rabbit?  They only go a few yards and stop.

I won't waste any ammo on a bird unless it's a turkey and they walk more than they fly. Not surprisingly, rifles are not legal when hunting turkeys here because it is too easy.  

no joke, I know someone who shot two turkeys off a tree branch, at 75 yards, with their ak. in a row... apparently they all just stood their after the first one went down

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Since you specified zombies a sks or 30-30 ......

It was hard for me to not say shotgun but "i'm surgical with this bitch"
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#33]
SKS
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#34]
For under $200.  Well for that price your options are:

1.  Mavrick 88 12 ga
2.  Yugo sks
3.  WWII surplus service rifle (enfield, mosin Nagant, Mauser)

I would have to go with the Yugo sks.  Fairly easy to reload, and it is a semi-auto (vs. a bolt action or pump)
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#35]
SKS, FTMFW!!!!

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#36]
It all depends.  If I were living in the country I would want a Mosin with lots of ammo and maybe a 9x18 Com Bloc pistol of some sort...

If I were urban I would want a SKS and a 9x18.  Thats just me.

I dont know what SKS's are priced at these days since my dad used to import them by the cargo container full and we still have a FEW around :P

Good luck though.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#37]
... any brand-name .357 magnum stainless steel revolver w/6" barrel
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#38]
SKS I paid $89.00 for my sks in 1987. For a $200- $250 shtf rifle it can't be beat.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Depends on the likely threats or needs.  IF you are going to be bugging out and and living off the land and need to forage, then a shotty.  A Katrina situation gimme an SKS.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#40]
For most SHTF scenarios, a handgun will do-ya good. Concealable, always with you, easy to carry, etc. A rifle certainly has an edge in range and power, but in many scenarios, walking around with a big rifle could get you into more problems than it will solve. Depends on your AO and bug out or bug in plans, really.

A .357 revolver would be a prime candidate--good stopping power, you can fire shot loads, etc. Not sure if I've seen any for around $200 lately. You could also find a used Ruger semi-auto in that price range, like a P95. They're heavy and ugly, but they work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
if you need to carry your ammo, you are SOL

sks ammo is a lot lighter, and the rifle itself is reliable, acurate to kill a deer at long range, the bullet is slow enough that you can shoot rabbits and such without exploding them.

And it makes a heck of a good defencive weapon.

if I was seriouse about shtf, and I only had $200, (and wasn't already armed) I would choose an sks.

for practical purposes, it is hard to beat.

The OP clearly doesn't own any firearms if he only has $200 to spend on a firearm and he's deciding between an SKS or a shotgun. I've spent more than $200 on ammo for my firearms in the last two weeks. So we need to take into account that he is not familiar with firearms.

SHTF is not about carrying chest rigs full of ammo to go to war with your neighbors. A shotgun gives you so many more options for food and defense than a $200 rifle will.

Practical purposes:
Birdshot for game, heavier loads and buckshot for larger animals & defense, slugs for larger animals out to 100yds.
The majority of firearms owners will have some form of 12ga shotgun, thus will have ammo for it and that is true across the country. Any store that sells ammunition will carry 12ga ammo. You will not have a problem replenishing your ammo.

Reliability purposes:
The SKS can not hold a candle to a pump action shotgun. Trust your life to a surplus rifle with cheap russian made steel cased ammo?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Here's my other rant:
A lot of Americans do not hunt. This is not a slight against you, but I'm seeing a trend on this board that people are having "Red Dawn" wet dreams of escaping the city, heading for the mountains, shooting deer, drinking it's blood, and liberating America.

Unless you have actually stalked large game, I don't know why you would count on being able to shoot animals with open sighted surplus rifles. If you already hunt, you ALREADY have the tools and the experience to do so, and this doesn't apply to you..

Look out your window: Do you see any deer in your yard? How far are you going to need to travel to shoot deer? Do you know how to clean & quarter it?

Every hunter knows this: Spend a few days freezing your ass off, you realize real fast why mankind tends to lean toward growing crops for food.

Those nice roadside deer you see as you drive by.. when they get pushed during the fall hunting season.. for the most party they poof into oblivion not to be seen for weeks here in Arizona. And that is for the most part falling within the game and fish regs. If SHTF, the weather is bad, there are fires, or people out trying to shoot the deer, hunting will be sporadic at best.

How many rabbits, squirrels, birds are you going to spook out of the brush before you get to see a deer?

IF YOU NEED TO HUNT: A shotgun in the hands of somebody who doesn't hunt, they will be able to mop up a lot of small game and put a lot more food on the table than if they spent all day trying to stalk deer. There are not many people, myself included, that would be able to consistently shoot running rabbits or flying birds with anything other than a shotgun.

I guess the moral of the story is.. If you don't have the training or the experience to do something NOW.. don't expect to do it when you are scared, hungry, exhausted, and displaced.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

The OP clearly doesn't own any firearms if he only has $200 to spend on a firearm and he's deciding between an SKS or a shotgun.  

You didn't read the whole thread........

The Op was just asking everyones opinion on the best zombie gun for 200 bux.

Look on page 2 he post pics of his guns......
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Used 870, Mossburg 590 or 500.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The OP clearly doesn't own any firearms if he only has $200 to spend on a firearm and he's deciding between an SKS or a shotgun.  

You didn't read the whole thread........

The Op was just asking everyones opinion on the best zombie gun for 200 bux.

Look on page 2 he post pics of his guns......

Yep.  to help unpleasant out, here's the OP's post about his guns.

Quoted:
Well I already have 2 AKs in 7.62x39. 1 Mav 88 12g pump, 1 K31 (with 8x32x50 scope), 1 91/30 Mosin Nagant, And 1 Nagant Pistol.... So today with my 200 This is what I bought... M44 Mosin Nagant, with ATI monty stock, ATI bolt and scope mount, and a 3x9 Weaver scope All already on the rifle. And about 100 rds for the 7.62x54. I will try to put up pics later. Oh and the wife ok-ed for me to get the 440 rd can of x54
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#46]
I didn't read his comments regarding his weapons. That doesn't dismiss the points I'm making.

I guess I should have known better than to jump into making assumptions in a hypothetical weapon choice thread.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

...  I guess the moral of the story is.. If you don't have the training or the experience to do something NOW.. don't expect to do it when you are scared, hungry, exhausted, and displaced.

Good rant.  And you can't repeat this part of it enough.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Zombie gun for 200 SKS
SHTF hunting in Woods
Shotgun

Why waste ammo on a rabbit?
Because the one you see has not gone into the traps you set and you are hungry so you shoot him and cook him
Load a Slug/buckshot shoot Deer or something more threatening

I still like the idea of a higher end air gun for the same rabbit/squirrel and much less noise and you could get a scoped air rifle and 1000 rnds for under $200
Save you flames please I have a 22 but not an Air rifle  Yet

Some States do not allow Air rifle to take game check state law BEFORE doing this
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Zombie gun for 200 SKS
SHTF hunting in Woods
Shotgun

Why waste ammo on a rabbit?
Because the one you see has not gone into the traps you set and you are hungry so you shoot him and cook him
Load a Slug/buckshot shoot Deer or something more threatening

I still like the idea of a higher end air gun for the same rabbit/squirrel and much less noise and you could get a scoped air rifle and 1000 rnds for under $200
Save you flames please I have a 22 but not an Air rifle  Yet

Some States do not allow Air rifle to take game check state law BEFORE doing this

If SHTF, state game laws will pretty much go out the window.  Everyone will be looting, poaching, bartering or growing.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#50]
If I've got 200 bucks to spend I'm not going to pick between a rifle and a shotgun, I going to get both!  M44 Nagant and a CZ52 FTW!
Seriously though, I'm not trusting my survival to a $200 weapon, but it's a great hypothetical to argue about.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top