Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#1]
My prayers to your family. The way they took care of my father when he passed will never be forgotten. I donate to Hospice whenever I can.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#2]
At first I thought

"A heart condition at 82 is pretty much worth throwing in the towel."

But then I remembered my grandparents are both 85 and still mow the lawn! My grandfather hunted birds with my father recently. He may not run a marathon, but he is as lively as ever.

I can't imagine that happening to them at 82, and they have all sorts of conditions. Best of luck. What a terrible circumstance.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quotes didn't work..

Either way, hope all works out but don't fight a losing battle for the sake of fighting. And do what your MiL wishes, not what you or your wife wants when it is that time.  If she wants to be a DNR then keep it that way.  DO NOT be that family that changes it at the last second because you got scared or felt guilty.  It's ok to die.

Take care
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear that.

You are correct in as much as their only goal is to make a person as comfortable as possible in their last days.

The ladies who took care of my mom a few years ago did exactly that.

They never engaged any of us in conversation about whether she would get better or not.

We had nothing but a good experience with them. They were very kind and helpful.

Remember, they're all people. Some are better than others and some just suck.

Good luck. Be strong for your wife.

This... Hospice is only for when the decision had been made that no more treatment will be given.
My family has had to go through this and will again I imagine. We only had positive, given the situation, results with the Hospice people we worked with...

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Its a morbid topic I know, but it is something I am living first hand right now and if you don't know about it can greatly shorten a loved ones life or have them live in un-necessary pain.  

A long story very short, my MIL goes into the hospital with a life threatening heart condition.  She's 82.  A combination of not liking the odds and fear of surgery, she refuses the surgery.  This was immediately seen as a desire to die and she was pressured in a big way to sign a DNR, "Do Not Resuscitate".  I'm talking can't get in the ambulance till you sign that to get home.  That made her eligible for "Home Hospice".  

Right off the bat, you learn they damn sure have a different end game than you do.  I'm going to be blunt here, their end game is death.  Though you may want your loved one to live as long as they can, that's not their goal nor is it their behavior even.  They're use to death so are very blunt about things like "You aren't going to get better" while not giving encouragement of any sort.  

Why use them then?  Its pretty simple, they give you a choice.  You either use Hospice or do without pain medication above a mild pain pill.  They cover things like oxygen and all sorts of make you comfortable stuff, you wouldn't get otherwise.  The downside is they do not cover or even advise you on treat your condition things.  That means you have to keep a doctor outside Hospice for those issues.  If the patient can not be moved other than ambulance, that creates another problem as doctors outside Hospice are setup for patient come to them and Hospice operates out of he hospitals so hospitals have the same goals as Hospice. that's end of life and fast.

Why we have such programs is very apparent. While providing one very valuable service, its saves a fortune in hospital costs by quite frankly allowing patients to die.  Now that's not a bad thing if you do indeed have a terminal patient that their condition is untreatable.  Its a real problem if your goal is just to get over a short hump or the condition is treatable by other methods than say surgery.  Its a flip of the coin whether its the devil or a saint.

Home Hospice is a little different state to state. Old as I am, my family has gone through this twice now.  The basic is a nurse a minimum of once a week comes but you also get a social worker.  I guess that's to insure they aren't being abused or something.  

In my MILs case, its the devil really.  When she first got out, she was having around 3 mild heart attacks a day.  The big one was looming and her condition very weak.  We started fighting the "End Game" from day one as we sought treatment and fought the drug them keep them in bed which causes them to get even weaker.  To do this we had to manipulate the system as we got medical power of attorney and legal power of attorney.  This leaves the "DNR" on file but negates it at our say so.  Big point here, because my MIL had a regular doctor before this all happened, that doctor agreed to handle the treatment.  

I can't tell you the pressure we have had to drop the doctor by Hospice and go with the program.  I'm talking multiple meetings even bringing their doctor out which I start each meeting the same, "Its against my morals and religious convictions to do anything but progress positively."  

Well, its been 4 weeks now and two weeks since my MIL has had a heart attack.  Knock on wood.  Our goal is get her strength up to where she can revisit the surgery option.  Their goal is make her comfortable and help her die.  Its been quite the battle and still is.

Anyone can tell you this stuff is never easy.  Probably the hardest thing you will have to do in life.  What I hope from this post is you understand what's coming and how important it is to know your goals and their goals may not be the same.  

Tj

This is why there are people that want to remove the profit motive from health care services.  It is not the correct motivation for that activity, and leads to Very Bad Things - such as writing off a human life because it saves somebody money.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:08:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear that.

You are correct in as much as their only goal is to make a person as comfortable as possible in their last days.

They never engaged any of us in conversation about whether she would get better or not.

We had nothing but a good experience with them. They were very kind and helpful.

Good luck. Be strong for your wife.

Same experience here.

The nurses involved with my dad were top notch.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:02:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm sure its so very disappointing to tell some old lady she's going to die and she doesn't.

My Dad has been in hospice over 2 years now. No one, not even the most talented doctors can tell you when you are going to die from a terminal illness. Their estimates are based on experience with people with similar circumstances. But people are different. Some just hang in there longer than others.

It is always best to think through these kind of things before hand and make it clear what one's wishes are. What the terminally ill wants is what should count. Most want to just go as peacefully as they can. A few want to fight it out to the last breath. It should always be their choice though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:14:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Its a morbid topic I know, but it is something I am living first hand right now and if you don't know about it can greatly shorten a loved ones life or have them live in un-necessary pain.  

A long story very short, my MIL goes into the hospital with a life threatening heart condition.  She's 82.  A combination of not liking the odds and fear of surgery, she refuses the surgery.  This was immediately seen as a desire to die and she was pressured in a big way to sign a DNR, "Do Not Resuscitate".  I'm talking can't get in the ambulance till you sign that to get home.  That made her eligible for "Home Hospice".  

Right off the bat, you learn they damn sure have a different end game than you do.  I'm going to be blunt here, their end game is death.  Though you may want your loved one to live as long as they can, that's not their goal nor is it their behavior even.  They're use to death so are very blunt about things like "You aren't going to get better" while not giving encouragement of any sort.  

Why use them then?  Its pretty simple, they give you a choice.  You either use Hospice or do without pain medication above a mild pain pill.  They cover things like oxygen and all sorts of make you comfortable stuff, you wouldn't get otherwise.  The downside is they do not cover or even advise you on treat your condition things.  That means you have to keep a doctor outside Hospice for those issues.  If the patient can not be moved other than ambulance, that creates another problem as doctors outside Hospice are setup for patient come to them and Hospice operates out of he hospitals so hospitals have the same goals as Hospice. that's end of life and fast.

Why we have such programs is very apparent. While providing one very valuable service, its saves a fortune in hospital costs by quite frankly allowing patients to die.  Now that's not a bad thing if you do indeed have a terminal patient that their condition is untreatable.  Its a real problem if your goal is just to get over a short hump or the condition is treatable by other methods than say surgery.  Its a flip of the coin whether its the devil or a saint.

Home Hospice is a little different state to state. Old as I am, my family has gone through this twice now.  The basic is a nurse a minimum of once a week comes but you also get a social worker.  I guess that's to insure they aren't being abused or something.  

In my MILs case, its the devil really.  When she first got out, she was having around 3 mild heart attacks a day.  The big one was looming and her condition very weak.  We started fighting the "End Game" from day one as we sought treatment and fought the drug them keep them in bed which causes them to get even weaker.  To do this we had to manipulate the system as we got medical power of attorney and legal power of attorney.  This leaves the "DNR" on file but negates it at our say so.  Big point here, because my MIL had a regular doctor before this all happened, that doctor agreed to handle the treatment.  

I can't tell you the pressure we have had to drop the doctor by Hospice and go with the program.  I'm talking multiple meetings even bringing their doctor out which I start each meeting the same, "Its against my morals and religious convictions to do anything but progress positively."  

Well, its been 4 weeks now and two weeks since my MIL has had a heart attack.  Knock on wood.  Our goal is get her strength up to where she can revisit the surgery option.  Their goal is make her comfortable and help her die.  Its been quite the battle and still is.

Anyone can tell you this stuff is never easy.  Probably the hardest thing you will have to do in life.  What I hope from this post is you understand what's coming and how important it is to know your goals and their goals may not be the same.  

Tj

after reading this I got sick - honestly I can not understand why somebody would want to do this to a person.
They should have respected her decision it is her body and her health. Why somebody would want to push some type of agenda on her is beyond me.

A little story to show a difference from where I come from.
When I was young and still lived in Germany and my grandmother had cancer she was able to live with us at home. She had very good care, they did everything for her to try to keep her alive and I mean everything. Everyday a nurse came by for several hours, every other day her doctor came by to see who she is doing. Everyday they had somebody bring her food, they read to her, washed her and again did everything they could to help her stay comfortable. Never did we get the attitude you described from any of the people that helped her. She could have been in a hospital but my mother wanted her to be at home after is was clear that eventually she would die and her wish was to die at home.

But from what I understand with your MIL she is not going to die any time soon so again I have a hard time understanding why they would not help her achieve to live longer.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:27:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear that.

[div]Good luck. Be strong for your wife.
[div]

This is my experience also when my wife died of colon cancer.  I'm real glad that they were around.

Sorry about the OP's m-i-l and situation.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:59:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:21:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Bummer.....

Thanks again TJ for telling it like it is.
Bless you, your family, and MIL.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:45:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone who has not had a critically ill family member admitted to 'general' hospital care in the last 10 years, may find themselves amazed.  In many localities family practice physicans do not treat their own patients in the hospital.  They will be treated by an unknown 'hospitler' staff doctor.  The approach is either they are preparing the patient for 'life-saving' proceedures, or they are assisting in their death.  The ancient...."do no harm" theme seems to have left with the 20th Century!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like you need a lawyer. I hate to say it, but the only way to fight bearucracy(sp) is with someone who knows the system. I am praying and hoping for the best for her. Don't let them bully you. File a restraining order if you can.

You might hang out in GD for awhile for some refresher training in fighting idiocy!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:30:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their goal is make her comfortable and help her die.

This is what Hospice is for...people who are terminal and want to die in comfort.  If a person is trying to get better, they don't meet Hospice criteria and should be somewhere else.

I wish you and your family the best, but I wonder whether you understood what hospice does.  If you're trying to get better, you should get out of hospice––for their benefit, and for yours.

I can find no flaws in this post.  Hospice is for people who are not expected to improve.  And despite the impression the OP has, pain management is not withheld from those not enrolled in hospice.

Thank you Doctor Never Saw the Patient.  I'll make sure to tell the other three doctors involved with this patient to consult your post.

I'm sure its so very disappointing to tell some old lady she's going to die and she doesn't.

Now do us a favor and go back to GD with the other internet tough guys.

Tj

Ummm....  I didn't take David's post that way at all.  

I'm not sure this is the right time to have this discussion.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#15]
This is why health care is in part a spiritual decision, not purely a numbers game.  This is why "government run" healthcare as it is set up - where government bureaucrats take away decisions from more appropriate people - is a bad idea.

The math says "help them die quickly so we keep costs down".

The spiritual side puts all the financial, relational, and moral objectives in balance.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is why health care is in part a spiritual decision, not purely a numbers game.  This is why "government run" healthcare as it is set up - where government bureaucrats take away decisions from more appropriate people - is a bad idea.

The spiritual side puts all the financial, relational, and moral objectives in balance.

I never put it in those terms before, but you're right.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

after reading this I got sick - honestly I can not understand why somebody would want to do this to a person.
They should have respected her decision it is her body and her health. Why somebody would want to push some type of agenda on her is beyond me.

When I was young and still lived in Germany and my grandmother had cancer she was able to live with us at home. She had very good care, they did everything for her to try to keep her alive and I mean everything. Everyday a nurse came by for several hours, every other day her doctor came by to see who she is doing. Everyday they had somebody bring her food, they read to her, washed her and again did everything they could to help her stay comfortable. Never did we get the attitude you described from any of the people that helped her. She could have been in a hospital but my mother wanted her to be at home after is was clear that eventually she would die and her wish was to die at home.

But from what I understand with your MIL she is not going to die any time soon so again I have a hard time understanding why they would not help her achieve to live longer.

Contrary to your first assertion, it doesn't sound like they were doing everything they could to keep her alive.  If that were the case there would have been chemo, surgery, radiation, etc.

Actually, you just described what hospice care is supposed to be like.  "Everyday they had somebody bring her food, they read to her, washed her and again did everything they could to help her stay comfortable. " and "was clear that eventually she would die and her wish was to die at home."  That's what hospice is supposed to be about - comfort and peace AFTER the decision about extraordinary means of treatment has been made.  I'm glad it turned out well for her.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never put it in those terms before, but you're right.

Look... if people were bearing more of the cost of their own care, the decision calculus would be different.

Why?

If I was facing a particularly pernicious cancer, such as Melanoma with mets, or Pancreatic cancer... and the choice was to spend everything I had for only a 5-10% survival chance (meanwhile you suffer the horrors that sometimes come with chemotherapy), I'd give serious consideration to not bothering with treatment.  If the choice is to impoverish your family, mortgage your house, drain your retirement plan, leave your kids with no college fund, etc... and have it all be for naught?

That's a different decision than spending the government's money... or "some other guy's money."

But going back to hospice, I have nothing but good things to say about them.  They did great things for my dying grandfather, and I have great respect for what they do... because if there's one thing we do VERY poorly in this country, it's death-and-dying.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#19]
My Mom died while receiving hospice care. I have this nagging feeling that the amount of morphine they were giving her contributed to her dying maybe sooner than she would have otherwise. I could be wrong about that, but I still have this nagging feeling. She died from heart failure. She had pulmonary fibrosis.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:02:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Yep.

My brother died here in December. My brother's wife could not be inconvenienced with the care of her husband of 36 years, so my wife and took care of him. Since she had all legal control we could do little. Bothersome thing to see how people truly are on the inside.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You know guys, I'm not trying to be harsh here so I hope you take it in the right spirit.  

Unless you are actually the one taking care of someone on Hospice, you really don't know and that's why I started this thread.  This is like someone in the hospital where family coordinates one patient while all the doctors have dozens of patients on steroids.  A simply amazing amount of control and decision making falls on the care provider.  Truly the decisions we make are life and death. It must be nice to be able to take a "Well, they're a gonner anyway" attitude but for some of us its one hell of a lot of stress.  

It makes you want to bitch slap your family that comes to visit, puts in their two cents, then goes home and escapes.  

My SIL came down to spell me so I could travel for business, the most opinionated family member btw, and she about freaked the first time my MIL had a heart attack in front her as she sat their helpless as the wife and I ran blood pressures, pulse rates, listened for arithmia, dispensed nitroglycerin, and then as she got better some administered Morphine for pain and Adavan later to relax her. She sat there silent as we discussed nitro patch times, tolerances, and had no input at all when we concluded this was one of those "Its going to happen sometimes no matter what we do".  Where for her it was an emotional experience, we had no time for that even having to be very practical with my MIL saying stuff like "Don't do that. It'll only make you worse."  Other than she's still dictating funeral arrangements, her care advice went from this is the way it should be done to none. Her eagerness to help totally disintegrated and truthfully I can't blame her.

Morality has everything to do with this.  Home Hospice is all about morality from the mere fact you aren't putting them in a Hospice facility to just wait on the bed to do its deed to they even provide a Chaplin.  Amidst all of that, the Hospice people have to be non-judgmental and they are.  Its not a doctors call on whether we flip a coin or not and when its in your home, it becomes so very apparent it becomes yours and always has been yours.

Could we have afforded this without Hospice.  In our case, without a doubt. It would be a lot more hassle and way more mistakes.  I don't know about us when its our turn, but my MIL is "The Greatest Generation" and they had things like supplemental insurance and retirement plans.  Her medications not covered by Hospice/medicare are $5 out of pocket.  Would we have known what to do or what our options were without Hospice?  Probably not and certainly not at the level we do.  Its been one daily learning experience with tremendously skilled nurses and doctors advising us along the way, even a home meeting with the Hospice doctor so he's advising in the future by phone with first hand knowledge.  The who know what, has which medical records, and information has fallen totally on us.  We catch mistakes or short comings all the time.  Its not the blame game or line up a lawyer at all but "Whoops I can see why that happened."  Don't follow it, you'd have no idea it did happen.  Its like running a hospital in your house.  This type thing very often is not a matter of cost but what's best.  

For my MILs condition is this better or worse than 40 years ago?  I haven't made my mind up on that yet.  My great-grandmother lived with us with the same heart condition when I was a boy and we had none of this except for the basic meds.  It really wasn't much different.  She could barely make it to the restroom too but did live till she was 92 being pretty much immobile for years.  This will end the same way but then we all will one day.  

Its all a matter of time and that time is our decision more often than not.  All those of us in the middle can do is respect that decision one way or the other.  What I won't do is take a "Hey, you made the decision and can't change your mind" attitude.  If they want to fight, I'll help them kick.    

Tj

You have made that statement twice in this thread.  Where on earth are you getting that?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#23]
My father used hospice care - liver, pancreatic, and prostate cancer.  Worked out as well as can be expected and VERY helpful to me and my sister while helping my dad maintain his dignity.

I agree with palmetto and don't believe hospice care is what your MIL needed.  Almost by definition, hospice care is about care given on the way to death, not care until one is better capable of surviving.

Now if this is a play to receive some sort of benefit that using ordinary life saving resources for whatever wouldn't provide, then more power to you.  But I don't believe that it's a newsflash that hospice care is about helping one die with dignity and as little pain and stress as possible.  Longevity isn't in the equation.

edit for spelling
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Tj

I am sorry for your negative experience, truly.

However, you must understand that every hospice, indeed every human being is different, and your broad generalizations that hospice workers are the agents of death are incredibly offensive to those of us who work in hospice or palliative care.  I'll be blunt: while this may have been your experience, in general you are very wrong and your words are insulting and hurtful.

After re-reading your original post, I like another poster wonder if your MIL was an appropriate candidate for hospice in the first place, as it sounds like you all continued to seek treatment, but admittedly i do not know the specifics of your situation).
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Its pretty obvious to me, we as a society are an inch away from the Pre-WWII Germans and once a patient is diagnosed terminal, a government board decides whether or not they get the shot. Once a society gets away from family making that call, we know where it leads.

This is absolutely ludicrous.  You must be upset.  Maybe you should take a break.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its pretty obvious to me, we as a society are an inch away from the Pre-WWII Germans and once a patient is diagnosed terminal, a government board decides whether or not they get the shot. Once a society gets away from family making that call, we know where it leads.

This is absolutely ludicrous.  You must be upset.  Maybe you should take a break.

I agree.

Like I suggested earlier... I don't think this is the best time for this discussion.

ETA:  and this probably isn't the best forum for it either.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I was a bit disappointed when we brought hospice in to talk about putting mom in the program on her Dr's recommendation as he believes she only has 3-6 months to live.  I had heard such wonderful things about them.

We know there is no hope of her getting better and there are no treatments for her at this point.  I expected hospice to come in and make the house a place she could finish out her days and take strain off my dad trying to be her full time caretaker...in other words, simply let the disease take it's course, but not hastening things along.

Yet they seemed very focused on death.  Wouldn't cover some drugs her Dr thought she should have for comfort and disease symptoms and there were  several references to providing pain meds...but mom isn't in any pain.

So instead of keeping her comfortable while the disease progresses until she dies, it came across to me more like we'll give you lots of pain and anti-anxiety meds to make you not care.  Oh, and if you would get vomiting and diarrhea resulting in dehydration, we don't do IVs as being hydrated makes dying more difficult.

I don't know, maybe I went in with incorrect preconceived expectations.  Under different circumstances, I guess I'd consider them again.  I also realize all hospices aren't the same but there weren't any others covering the area.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#30]
The regular hospital was like torture for my father because his cancer left him in uncontrollable pain. In home Hospice was nice enough to drown him in morphine over the last few weeks. It was a good experience all around, especially when it was clear that life was too painful to bear any longer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:55:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Contrary to your first assertion, it doesn't sound like they were doing everything they could to keep her alive.  If that were the case there would have been chemo, surgery, radiation, etc.

Actually, you just described what hospice care is supposed to be like.  "Everyday they had somebody bring her food, they read to her, washed her and again did everything they could to help her stay comfortable. " and "was clear that eventually she would die and her wish was to die at home."  That's what hospice is supposed to be about - comfort and peace AFTER the decision about extraordinary means of treatment has been made.  I'm glad it turned out well for her.

they did all that for her while she was in the hospital and only after it was apparent that nothing will help since the cancer spread all over her entire body my mother moved her home so she could die her rather than die in a hospital.

I should have added that but they did what they could for years.

I can remember her screaming at night because the morphine was not enough and she could not lay any more. Very sad to see her go from being active and than being so dependend on others.

In general I should have added that they normally do not let people go home it is a lot of red tape that has to be sorted through. The only thing that made it easier is that my mother was the head nurse for a children's hospital and thus had some people of her hospital help her other than that it would have been very difficult. My aunt die in the hospital she was not allowed to die at home.

Cancer is one f... up illness

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Ran its course
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top