Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=36844
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=38348
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=34455
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=29503
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=44370
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=44369
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=38347

Blackmouth Cur.  They will fight a grizzly bear to protect your family.  I had one protect me from a potential break-in one night a couple of years ago.  These guys can turn into lions to protect their family.
I use them to hog hunt.
The female in the picture has taken over our home. That is her in the bottom picture about 10 minutes after we bought her home.  She is extremely intelligent, protective, and possessive.  She will not hesitate to attack one of the males.
They require a lot of attention and need room to run, they are highly energetic and athletic. They also bond very hard with one person.  I am teaching them hand signals.  My smallest male cannot stand to have me out of his sight unless we are in the woods, he sometimes sleeps at the foot of my bed.

My two smallest males are right around the 45 lb mark.

An ideal breed for us would be:

moderate size, 40 lbs
very trainable
affectionate and social with family members
somewhat defensive of territory, barking at strangers (instead of merely licking them to death as per Golden Retriever standard operating procedure)
not have very high exercise requirements

Not gonna work. Cur dogs need excercise.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have three dogs right now.

People are going to laugh at me but my smallest is my favorite by far.  He's a Yorkie that thinks he's ten foot tall.  

Other than his handicap of he's too small to do anything about it, he beats every breed I've had in every category bar none.  He not only is a warning system but a directable one.  I can say, "What's outside" and in the window he goes.  Any noise outside gets his attention.  My house has doggie door and he's in and out it ten times more than my Jack Russel or Beagle.  At night, he's the first one to respond to "That's not right" noises.  

My wife's a little disappointed.  She wanted a nice docile lap dog like the breed is portrayed in movies and on TV not the little heller from a breed bred to kill rats but that's what we got.  He's a constant source of amusement for me.  Damndest hunting dog I ever had.  Say Squierell and he's like the movie "Up", "Where? Where?".  Watching him lay into a catfish is hilarious stuff.  He'll sit on the edge of the boat just watching the line till you catch one then try to rip it apart.  He bullies my other two dogs but they have no issues let him pretend to be Alpha.  

Neat extras is he doesn't shed and a small size means easy transport, easy care, low feed cost, and most important small turds.  He's my constant companion now.  If I go out the door, he thinks he should.  I only take a leash because place require them.  He sticks close and listens to my every word.  I'm trying to count his vocabulary which is well over 40 words now which a lot for a dog.  Best part, man, he's so small you just pick him up anytime you have the need.  Mines all Alpha though.  He still has his balls.  He wants to be close but cuddling is not his thing.  Cut any dogs balls, they turn more like a bitch.  I figure all those on TV have their nuts wacked.  The breeders I know, their males are just like mine, little warriors.  

Downside, of course, is you gotta watch them around big dogs and car doors.  Upside to that is they are very smart and know their size.  Mine will dominate any dog it meets but not stupid enough to go up and let one rip its head off.  That's because it thinks its a killer too and it knows better.  You ought to watch him shake toys like he's breaking their neck.  Its constant laughter.

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/uploads/1285877545/gallery_7_13_72093.jpg

I know people think Yorkies are Foo Foo dogs, but I'm sold.  We're already looking for our next one to join the pack.  There are amazing little dogs which is why they cost so damn much.

"Warning by Yorkshire Terrier, Protection by Smith and Wessen"  

Tj

They were breed to kill things...Rats to be exact...not just any rats but coal mine rats.  Coal mine rats can be be 10 lbs+

For SHTF I would want a bigger dog.  My 120lb rott fits fine in a canoe.  I bet a 400lb black bear would have trouble killing him.

Maybe German short hair pointer?  Gaurd dog, strong prey drive, and wants to please if you are looking for a smaller dog.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

These guys are as rare as hen's teeth but American Eskimo Spritzers. They were breed in Germany in the middle ages to be watch dogs for the cart merchants. They needed a dog that could keep up with the pony drawn cart and who wouldn't eat them out of house and home - yet were brave enough to deliver a nasty bite if someone crossed over to their cart.

"The American Eskimo Dog was originally bred to guard people and property and, therefore, is territorial by nature and a valiant watchdog. They are not considered an aggressive breed. But, due to the breed's watchdog history, American Eskimos are generally quite vocal, barking at any stranger who comes within close proximity to their owners or their owner's territory."

"The American Eskimo is an affectionate, loving dog. Hardy and playful, they are excellent with children. Charming and alert. Because of the dog's high intelligence and its willingness to please, it is easy to train and often rank among the top scorers in obedience trials. American Eskimos like to work. They are naturally wary of strangers, but once introduced they become instant friends. Eskimos need to be part of the family with a firm, consistent, confident pack leader. "

We're on our second one. The first one was deemed a hero by the city of Corona when she alerted on four people robbing my next door neighbor's town home. We lived there for a year and she didn't bark once at the thousands of people that passed our place until that night. Still to this day have no idea on how she knew that the four Crips gang members were up to no good - from a second story bedroom, with the blinds and windows shut.

You often seen them as circus dogs in Europe jumping through the flaming hoops on the backs of ponies.

Our dogs have both loved the car - if you open a door to our truck they'll jump in and love going for the ride - something I think dates back 500 years to the original breed. Despite all the hair she loves the heat and isn't bothered at all by freezing cold. Our current model is after the mailman and UPS delivery guy. She'll hear them a block away inside over the noise of the TV and start huffing before they come around the corner.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/Trixie/trixie2.jpg

Interesting. Kind of resembles a Schipperke. They were bred to guard Belgian canal boats.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

A Cairn Terrier is exactly what you've described, except they're 18 pounds instead of 40.  Fearless, loyal, territorial, affectionate but not clingy, intelligent and easy to train, they are also non-shedding and hypo-allergenic for a lot of people with dog allergies.  We've had Cairns for over 25 years and they are great dogs.
They also love Christmas presents!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/robertlee3rd/IMG_0324.jpg

I came to post this. My parents have a Cairn Terrier. He is a great dog.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#6]

I have two JRT's. They are awesome dogs but need to be watched otherwise they can get into trouble.

If you're looking for a family dog that doubles as a barker when something in in the yard/front porch, look at the Wheaten Terrier.

The breed doesn't shed so they are hypoallergenic and easy to maintain in the house, the coat does grow so it will need to be cut a couple times a year. Great farm dog/family dog. Very obedient & good with kids. My cousin has small kids & got one when there was evidence of mountain lions near his house. The Wheaten barks when anyone/anything comes in the yard.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Can't forget the tactical Chihuahua.  GREAT watchdog.  Little satellite dish ears hear everything.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I wish German Shepherds came in 25lb pint sizes....
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I currently have an Australian Shepherd that is an awesome house alarm guard dog.  Barks and growls at strangers and anyone he doesn't feel comfortable with.  Shedding is an issue.  But his intelligence is awesome.  I can teach him new things extremely fast.  He is five years old and knows what I want him to do usually before I tell him.  However he isn't good with small children.  He tries to herd them.  If he was around them more I'm sure I could break him of that.

The only other dog I've had that was comparable in intelligence was a Heinz 57 mutt I had when I was a kid.  Mixed breed dogs do seem imo to be smarter than most pure breds and usually have less health issues.

I wouldn't get a sporting dog to use as a guard dog.  I've had two Brittanys and I have a friend with an English pointer and German short hair.  All were great hunters and good family dogs.  They become trusting of anyone that will scratch behind their ears or give them treats.  My mom does have a beagle that makes a great early warning alarm that could wake the dead with her barking.  And she will bark at anything or anyone out of the norm.

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have three dogs right now.

People are going to laugh at me but my smallest is my favorite by far.  He's a Yorkie that thinks he's ten foot tall.  

Other than his handicap of he's too small to do anything about it, he beats every breed I've had in every category bar none.  He not only is a warning system but a directable one.  I can say, "What's outside" and in the window he goes.  Any noise outside gets his attention.  My house has doggie door and he's in and out it ten times more than my Jack Russel or Beagle.  At night, he's the first one to respond to "That's not right" noises.  

My wife's a little disappointed.  She wanted a nice docile lap dog like the breed is portrayed in movies and on TV not the little heller from a breed bred to kill rats but that's what we got.  He's a constant source of amusement for me.  Damndest hunting dog I ever had.  Say Squierell and he's like the movie "Up", "Where? Where?".  Watching him lay into a catfish is hilarious stuff.  He'll sit on the edge of the boat just watching the line till you catch one then try to rip it apart.  He bullies my other two dogs but they have no issues let him pretend to be Alpha.  

Neat extras is he doesn't shed and a small size means easy transport, easy care, low feed cost, and most important small turds.  He's my constant companion now.  If I go out the door, he thinks he should.  I only take a leash because place require them.  He sticks close and listens to my every word.  I'm trying to count his vocabulary which is well over 40 words now which a lot for a dog.  Best part, man, he's so small you just pick him up anytime you have the need.  Mines all Alpha though.  He still has his balls.  He wants to be close but cuddling is not his thing.  Cut any dogs balls, they turn more like a bitch.  I figure all those on TV have their nuts wacked.  The breeders I know, their males are just like mine, little warriors.  

Downside, of course, is you gotta watch them around big dogs and car doors.  Upside to that is they are very smart and know their size.  Mine will dominate any dog it meets but not stupid enough to go up and let one rip its head off.  That's because it thinks its a killer too and it knows better.  You ought to watch him shake toys like he's breaking their neck.  Its constant laughter.

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/uploads/1285877545/gallery_7_13_72093.jpg

I know people think Yorkies are Foo Foo dogs, but I'm sold.  We're already looking for our next one to join the pack.  There are amazing little dogs which is why they cost so damn much.

"Warning by Yorkshire Terrier, Protection by Smith and Wessen"  

Tj

LOLing the abused penguin at his feet.

My neighbor has a terrier mix, always barks at me even if I'm in the yard minding my own business for a half an hour straight.  I go over and watch football the gal will be on my lap to be petted.  The next day she'll bark at me for an hour straight from her side of the fence.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top