Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with this (not mine but looks identical)

secure, semi water proof storage yet can quickly be converted to hauler. sadly mine is reaching the end of her life as a daily drive and I don't like the newer ones so I'll have to visit this topic again soon.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Couple other things- it's a nice to climb in the back for a nap after/during a long drive.  In a real evacuation you could be stuck away from a bed for hours or days.

Just be aware that in an accident any objects not tied down could be flying at you or your kids.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
So back to the original question.

OP Update:  Moving closer to a Nissan Pathfinder purchase.

Truck choice may need to factor in divorce costs.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I vote for a CCPU, with a camper shell.

This.

And for those arguing about seatbelts..........

The OP wants it for a BOV. If it gets to that point then seat belts are going to be pretty obsolete.

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've had an extended cab pickup with a wife and 2 kids.  It works ok.  If you or your wife has never had to live has never had a pickup before, then it can be very traumatic for the luggage to ride "outside."  I grew up with pickups, and my wife had not...there was drama over the luggage.  

Quoted:
The way I looked at it is that I can always expand with an SUV.  There is always the option of straping things to the roof, buying a trailer, or using one of the rear hitch mounted baskets.  

At the end of the day an enclosed area to haul around all the kid and baby stuff along with the kids just wasnt feasible in a crew cab truck.  When you are talking about strollers and diaper bags they cant live in the bed of a pick up truck.  So I had to consider that also.

http://www.affordableclassicsinc.com/ClassicsPgs/2001%20chevrolet%20silverado%20ext%20cab%20long/2001%20chevrolet%20silverado%201500%20pu%20ext%20cab%20long%20(2).JPG

My wife responded to me "I would think about how much I hate you every time I had to open and close the tailgate and back window to get out the strollers and baby bags".

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:33:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As a person that drives a full size SUV (K5 Blazer). I gotta go with Crew Cab with short box.

Like mentioned, you can add a topper and its nice to put dirty, wet, smelly stuff in the back and not be effected by it in the cab. Also safer for carrying gas around.

Also, I do have my whole interior Line X'd so Im the expection to the rule, still dont want to deal with mucked up stuff inside.

As a XJ fan I'm going with this ^.

At my recent camp out one of the dad's had a crew cab and a topper over his bed.  Not only could he fit people but the storage in the back was impressive. You can even sleep in the back if you pull out the gear.

I so tried to help you get a pickup too

Geohans, if you are even still reading this.

The big advantage of a SUV is 3 row seating.

The big advantage of a pickup is cargo apace that is segregated from the passengers.

As you have described your family, y'all are very close to needing 3 row seating.  I have 4 children, and I have hauled them in a pickup and in a SUV, so I know how tight 2  row seating becomes.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I like my Taco.  Enough room to get the family and some critical items in the cab and can tarp the back.  It is more practical for everyday hauling chores.  Seeing as we have an SUV also we have bases covered.  Split the load so if one goes toes up we can roll in the other.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I can empathize with this guy. I have a 2003 Durango with 150k on the clock. In the next couple of years I'll be replacing it — I'm looking now because this year's new line is likely what I'll be buying used in a couple of years. I am about as impartial as I can be on the new vehicle. Like the new Ecoboost Ford, don't like the Ecoboost Expedition. Like the Chevy Tahoe, like the Silverado. Like the HEMI Ram, like the Durango.

Want > 20mpg hwy
Want > 4WD seldomly used, but nice to have. The Durango has been some places that would make some 4WD blush.
Need > Generous cargo space (truck bed or removable seating)
Need > Seating for 5 (including child seats — can't seat five now)
Need > Tow package (motorcycle trailer) Would like to eventually have a fifth-wheel travel trailer, but I'll probably need a new vehicle before then, so don't need that capacity yet
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Edited...VA-gunnut
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
get both, chevy Avalanche
seating for 5 legally, with dry lockable outside storage in the bed and with the two large lockable side boxes.
cover can be removed in sections for taller cargo and still leave part of the box covered.
need to haul some 16ft 2x12's? fold down the midgate and have nearly 10 feet of bed space with the tailgate down.
more people space or more cargo space depending on the changing situation

oh, and good off road with a factory 4link suspension

After decades with F150s and a short sting with GMC (gasp!) SUV, my Dad faced the same dilemma as the OP - comfort or cargo space.  He took a chance on the Avalanche, and has been quite happy.

One caveat - the tailgate is fiberglass and NOT metal.  Ask me how I found this out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

At the end of the day an enclosed area to haul around all the kid and baby stuff along with the kids just wasnt feasible in a crew cab truck.  When you are talking about strollers and diaper bags they cant live in th ebed of a pick up truck.  So I had to consider that also.

My kids are 12 and 17, and we just bought our first SUV last year - and it's a Jeep Liberty, which is NOT very large.  

We regularly took 3 hour+ trips with both of our kids.  How?  We simply didn't take all the crap along with us that everyone else took (And the trunk on a VW Jetta is huge - I swear it's bigger on the inside than the outside.)

I watched my wife's sisters and their broods with the minivans, SUV's, Durangoes, etc.  What I saw was 2 things:

1) They didn't use the third row seating because they had 4 kids; they used it for 2 kids so that each one could have their own seat and my sister in law didn't have to actually make her kids coexist peacefully.

2) The vehicles were, predictably, packed with stuff when they traveled.  But that was because most of the crap stayed IN the vehicle!  They didn't need the room to haul all of their sports gear to and from practices; they needed it to STORE their sports gear all season so her little darlings wouldn't have to actually haul their own shit the 20' back and forth to the car.

Sorry, what was I saying?  Oh yes.

It's perfectly possible to lead a full, enriched, safe life with your 2 children while driving a sedan or a crew cab pickup.  I know.  I did it.  And I didn't even have in-car video.

( I need to write this all down for my kid's future therapist.  Save them the tedious history of how horrible we treated them.)
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
The way I looked at it is that I can always expand with an SUV.  There is always the option of straping things to the roof, buying a trailer, or using one of the rear hitch mounted baskets.  

At the end of the day an enclosed area to haul around all the kid and baby stuff along with the kids just wasnt feasible in a crew cab truck.  When you are talking about strollers and diaper bags they cant live in the bed of a pick up truck.  So I had to consider that also.

My wife responded to me "I would think about how much I hate you every time I had to open and close the tailgate and back window to get out the strollers and baby bags".

You should have responded "Think about how much I hate you now for emotionally blackmailing me."

And really - has she ever tried to get stuff extracted out of the back or side of an SUV or minivan?

Edit: I'll take that last one back given the subject's diminutive stature.  But unless she said the "hate you" comment with a gigantic smile, I'll stick by my first comment.  Take it with a grain of salt, though - I might be a bit anti-spouse at the moment (just filed.)

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 4:27:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Have 2003 Suburban that is not a daily driver and used primarily for trips.  I have found that there are only a few things that I can not do with the Suburban and I have a small utility trailer for that.  As for the 3 row seat, we only have two kids and have not used it much until very recently.  My daughter is 11 now and hauling her and friends around makes the Suburban a great choice, but most of the time I have the 3rd row seat out or folded down.  It is true that the towing capacity is lower on the Suburban as compared to a crew cab truck with the same engine/transmission set up.  The burbs weigh more and have rear coil springs as compared to the trucks with leaf springs in the rear which handle loads better.  Having the auto ride or premium ride package does not improve tow capacity, but it sure as hell improves handling.  There is a significant difference in how my Suburban handles  compared to my  dads Z71.  I do love my Suburban but when it’s time to replace it I may go the crew cab Toyota Tundra route.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 5:04:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Have 2003 Suburban that is not a daily driver and used primarily for trips.  I have found that there are only a few things that I can not do with the Suburban and I have a small utility trailer for that.  As for the 3 row seat, we only have two kids and have not used it much until very recently.  My daughter is 11 now and hauling her and friends around makes the Suburban a great choice, but most of the time I have the 3rd row seat out or folded down.  It is true that the towing capacity is lower on the Suburban as compared to a crew cab truck with the same engine/transmission set up.  The burbs weigh more and have rear coil springs as compared to the trucks with leaf springs in the rear which handle loads better.  Having the auto ride or premium ride package does not improve tow capacity, but it sure as hell improves handling.  There is a significant difference in how my Suburban handles  compared to my dads Z71.  I do love my Suburban but when it’s time to replace it I may go the crew cab Toyota Tundra route.

Z71 What?

Pickup?

Tahoe?

Suburban?

What year?

Comparing your 2003 Suburban to a 1990 pickup and concluding that the handling difference is due to the Z71 package may be only part correct don't you think?  

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 5:29:21 AM EDT
[#17]
As I stated earlier I just switched from an '07 Explorer to a new '12 quad cab Silverado.  It does have the 2/3 folding rear seat so I can haul four belted people plus cargo inside the cab if needed.  I've also installed a four slide-out drawer box in the back as well.  Loving that!  Can't even see it under the bed cover.  I must admit I've had to adjust how I carry things vs. the Explorer.  Stuff I just tossed in the back now either has to go under the back seats or has to be O.K. to ride in the bed.  The truck is much wider on the inside and I'm loving the space.  Also, I'm sure I can haul WAY more than the Explorer if I needed to.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 6:05:50 AM EDT
[#18]
This one...

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Aside from the minor misunderstandings, I really like this thread.  My daily driver is a 2000 4runner, which runs GREAT, but I want something with a little more room.  I am currently going back and forth between a larger SUV or a crew cab pickup.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 6:58:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I can and have hauled 6 people legally belted in my extra cab pickup while still having an entire 8 foot cargo bed of awesome storage.
Bingo!  Of course I have a real, grown-up, full size Chevy Silverado 2500, not a 3/4 size baby PU.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
get both, chevy Avalanche
seating for 5 legally, with dry lockable outside storage in the bed and with the two large lockable side boxes.
cover can be removed in sections for taller cargo and still leave part of the box covered.
need to haul some 16ft 2x12's? fold down the midgate and have nearly 10 feet of bed space with the tailgate down.
more people space or more cargo space depending on the changing situation

oh, and good off road with a factory 4link suspension

DITTO!  I love my 2011.

But move quickly if you want an Avalanche as 2013 is the last year.  The numb nuts at GM have decided to not bring the Avalanche forward with the new SUV models (its based on a Suburban chassis) starting in 2014.  So Chevy has loaded up the 2013's with a lot of extras.

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:07:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Edited...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:14:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Aside from the minor misunderstandings, I really like this thread.  My daily driver is a 2000 4runner, which runs GREAT, but I want something with a little more room.  I am currently going back and forth between a larger SUV or a crew cab pickup.

If you do not need 3 row seating, then you get Moar choices.

Having had both:  I like both.

Pickups are nice when you wish to haul stuff because things can hang over the side, or out the back, or be stacked up.  You don't have to fold 2 rows of seats and drive with the back door open to haul a little lumber.  You don't have to climb on the roof to haul a bit of lumber.

SUVs ... well I've been saying all through this thread that 3 row seating is the thing that an SUV can do that a crew cab cannot do.

If you only have 2 kids and nevar haul an extra person for long distances then 2 row seating works fine.  If you are married and of child bearing age, then 15 minutes of happy time and 9 months will make 2 row seating cozy.  I have been there.   4 car seats and 2 adults in a vehicle with 2 row seats is very very cozy.  You have been warned.

Rouge-one did bring up a point.  Some SUVs have more refined suspensions that will have an effect on ride and handling.  

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:18:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Want > 20mpg hwy
Want > 4WD seldomly used, but nice to have. The Durango has been some places that would make some 4WD blush.
Need > Generous cargo space (truck bed or removable seating)
Need > Seating for 5 (including child seats — can't seat five now)
Need > Tow package (motorcycle trailer) Would like to eventually have a fifth-wheel travel trailer, but I'll probably need a new vehicle before then, so don't need that capacity yet

http://rmr4x4.com/web/1178/vehicle/1214168  that would almost tic all your boxes, I think they get ~25mpg with the TD5 engine.  The cost would probably make you sick though...
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Pickup.

You can always add a topper and enclose the bed.  For the most part, you can't "un-enclose" a SUV.

THIS....I left a truck for an SUV in a moment of dumbass.  I am going back to a truck as soon as my finances allow.    you are running out of choices for new SUV on true truck platforms.  So you would have to potentially go used and inherit other problems.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pickups are nice when you wish to haul stuff because things can hang over the side, or out the back, or be stacked up.  You don't have to fold 2 rows of seats and drive with the back door open to haul a little lumber.  You don't have to climb on the roof to haul a bit of lumber.

SUVs ... well I've been saying all through this thread that 3 row seating is the thing that an SUV can do that a crew cab cannot do.

If you only have 2 kids and nevar haul an extra person for long distances then 2 row seating works fine.  If you are married and of child bearing age, then 15 minutes of happy time and 9 months will make 2 row seating cozy.  I have been there.   4 car seats and 2 adults in a vehicle with 2 row seats is very very cozy.  You have been warned.

Rouge-one did bring up a point.  Some SUVs have more refined suspensions that will have an effect on ride and handling.  

Oh boy.  How're things going at home for you?

Sorry, just kidding.  I'm the OP and I seriously appreciate this discussion, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#27]
My wife and I went the SUV route.
unless you have an atv or something you need to haul in the bed I wouldnt get a truck.
sure you can put a topper on it and all that but all that stuff cannot be accessed unless you stop and get out.
Just my preference though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Edited...VA-gunnut
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you only have 2 kids and nevar haul an extra person for long distances then 2 row seating works fine.

Sedans have worked just fine for mom, dad and their 2.6 kids for decades. 2-3000 mile road trips with 5 people and two rows of seating have not been a problem for us.

If you are married and of child bearing age, then 15 minutes of happy time and 9 months will make 2 row seating cozy.  I have been there.   4 car seats and 2 adults in a vehicle with 2 row seats is very very cozy.  You have been warned.

Preparation works just as well for family planning as it does for survival.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My wife and I went the SUV route.
unless you have an atv or something you need to haul in the bed I wouldnt get a truck.
sure you can put a topper on it and all that but all that stuff cannot be accessed unless you stop and get out.
Just my preference though.

Crawling over 2-3 rows of seating to get at your stuff doesn't sound very practical. And some cargo you might actually want to be seperated from.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Edited...VA-gunnut

Tell me what this has to do with a technical discussion in the survival forum?

Edited...VA-gunnut

Or did you for get that this is not General Discussion?

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Went from cars which ill never own again to an suv to a truck. I like my extended cab truck. Right now I only have a tool box but I want a locking bed cover. I'll say the avalanche is nice but I'd ditch the plastic front bumper for metal asap.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Tell me what this has to do with a technical discussion in the survival forum?

The capabilities and attitudes of our spouses/significant others has everything to do with survival. Especially if we introduce them as a topic of conversation or in defense of an opinion. But it appears that the powers that be believe it to be too sensitive a topic for most. Fair enough.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#34]
There we go, 3rd row seating for trucks :)
http://bedryder.com/id31.html
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#35]
There are some pickups with six doors out there.  I have seen many around here.Link  I don't know who did the work on the ones I have seen, but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

There are some pickups with six doors out there.  I have seen many around here.Link  I don't know who did the work on the ones I have seen, but you get the idea.

That is nice, and I would even like one if I found a good deal on craigslist.

I bring the truck and $32k is a bit steep for me at the moment.

http://www.customautosbytim.com/options.html

Link Posted: 11/2/2012 5:46:54 AM EDT
[#37]
My suggestion would be a 4 door full size pickup.  

As you asked in a later post to explain why WE chose what we chose...
I moved to Nebraska (PCS) about 2 1/2 years ago  As before I was in an appartment and wasnt married at the time I had my little economy car and a 2001 Jeep Wrangler so I didn't need alot of cargo space OR passenger space.
Fast forward 6 months and I got married.
Fast forward a year and I had PCSed to Nebraska and bought a house.
I still wanted enough space for 4 to fit comfortably, enough space to haul a bit, and 4wd.

The only way I was able to accomplish this was with a fullsize 4wd pickup (which btw gets the same gas milage as the Jeep did).
We bought a 2007 Ford F150 supercrew with the shorter box.  This gave us a truck bed, room for 4 comfortably (6 if we need it), and 4wd wIth about the same gas milage as the Jeep.  We put a topper on it and now have an enclosed bed (and the topper has 2 built in tool boxes and a roof rack).
We couldn't find a SUV that could give us truely comparable cargo space, while still having room for 4 to 6 people.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Here's a great inexpensive cover that allows you to use you entire bed. Agri cover
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh boy.  How're things going at home for you?

Sorry, just kidding.  I'm the OP and I seriously appreciate this discussion, thanks.

Can't let this topic move to page 2!!  

I have made my decision.  I will list my 4runner for sale if I find the right Honda Ridgeline.  It is all the truck I need, gets better gas mileage than a full size crew cab, but will haul my trash to the recycling station, my deer to the butcher, and my occasional home improvement job products home from Home Depot.  The cab is super roomy for loading up the family, and there is even room under the backseats, even when they are down and in use.  I test drove a new one today, and it had plenty of power, for a 6 cylinder.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 10:06:01 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a Ridgeline and its perfect. The trunk under the bed is HUGE. Plenty of room for anything extra and in a spot that a lot of people would never look. I am in the process of finding a piece of carpet to put in the bed to make the trunk even more low profile. As far as the inside, plenty of room. The back seats fold up giving you a ton of extra storage space and even when they are in the down position there is plenty of room under them. I have even seen a rifle storage case that fits under the rear seats. My suggestion is that you go drive one and check it out.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:33:27 AM EDT
[#42]
I haul 4 people shooting in my quad cab ram on a regulator basis and I'd think can hold more in the bed than you can fit in an SUV. I really just prefer trucks in general
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:37:03 AM EDT
[#43]
This is better than a pickup unless you're hauling some heavy equipment.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Or firewood. Or waste. Or debris. Or palletized material. Or drums of fuel/water, etc. Or appliances. Or standard plywood. Or standard sheetrock. Or 2x4x8s. Or soil. Or crushed rock. Or bulk material. Or any significant amount of cargo. Or, well you get the point. Or not...
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#45]
agreed.

Everyone needs to tailor their plans to their specific situation.  I, for one, don't anticipate hauling that kind of stuff if I'm trying to leave quickly.

Once could have a prepacked car top carrier ready to go that is light, easy to mount, and get the heck out of dodge with.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Or a deer, a hog, trash...

An SUV is better if your heading to soccer practice
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Get the 4X4 pick up truck.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#48]
I've had 2 crew cab pickups. After them I got a Disco 2 as a fun car.

Gotta say, almost wouldn't go back to a pickup. This truck does everything I need it to and then some, and is the perfect size. A couple modifications and its pretty much the perfect SHTF / bug out truck for me.

(not mine)

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
agreed.

Everyone needs to tailor their plans to their specific situation.  I, for one, don't anticipate hauling that kind of stuff if I'm trying to leave quickly.

Once could have a prepacked car top carrier ready to go that is light, easy to mount, and get the heck out of dodge with.

Fair enough. I would not expect to haul most of that kind of material in an emergency evacuation, either.

Somewhere around here is a thread authored by someone who had not considered the need to head into a disaster zone until she needed to go assist her parents.

Planning exclusively around simple evacuation is short sighted, in my opinion. A comprehensive mobility preparedness plan goes beyond simple evacuation to address other aspects such as sustained operation during emergency/disaster conditions, effectively assisting with the recovery phase, etc.

I understand that it's just not practical or even possible to be prepared for every imaginable contingency, that we all have to make compromises of one sort or another and do the best we can with our resources. Many people may not be able to justify a pickup or find that one simply does not fit with their desired lifestyle. But to make a blanket statement that a light duty SUV is better than a pickup for everything but one narrow use without any supporting evidence seems rather uninformed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:26:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or firewood. Or waste. Or debris. Or palletized material. Or drums of fuel/water, etc. Or appliances. Or standard plywood. Or standard sheetrock. Or 2x4x8s. Or soil. Or crushed rock. Or bulk material. Or any significant amount of cargo. Or, well you get the point. Or not...

I haul 2x4x8s in my Toyota Scion all the time.  You don't HAVE to have a truck to haul things around.  It just makes it easier.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top