Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I live close to TMI and lived quite a few years just 10-miles from the plant.  There are a lot of people in that area that developed unusual Cancers that these people firmly believe were because TMI released radioactivity.  That is certainly beyond this thread and I don't want to get into a tin foil hat argument about weather we heard the whole truth about what happened at TMI but I worked with at least two people that had thyroid cancer and both chose not to evacuate as they stayed home to protect their property and years later wonder if they made a bad choice!

Now back to the Japanese reactors - this Fox story sounds pretty bad:
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/11/japan-issues-emergency-nuke-plant-leak/

Man, if one of those reactors lets loose - it will make the rest of the Tsunami effects seem insignificant and how do you evacuate or do anything about a major nuclear accident when everything else is already so badly destroyed.  I know I am saying a prayer that this can get fixed or we may need a new phrase well above Shit Hitting The Fan!  Perhaps the phrase then is "We Are F-cked"

I now live about 10 miles from Limerick Nuclear Power Plant so we moved from one Nuke Site to another so the nuclear experience is something I am watching although odds of an Earthquake strong enough to harm our reactors in SE Pennsylvania are small.  Still, you never know what could happen so always wise to watch and learn.  I would be real nervous if I lived near a Nuke site on the west coast however!
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#2]
On average, Japan has 866 people per square mile throughout the entire country.  However, once you factor in the mountains and low lying areas aren't heavily occupied (i.e. rice fields), this number sky rockets exponentially!
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#3]
doesn't look good......

best wishes
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:36:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
how badly do you think this will effect prices here?

Of what?

When I was a boy, seems all the junk was made in Japan.
Now it's China.
What does Japan even produce anymore, other than some electronics?

Besides the other stuff already mentioned (and much more I'm sure we haven't thought of):  Something near and dear to many here at survival forums (and CPF, etc.)  Eneloop batteries!  (The good ones)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:45:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've got family in Japan right now. My mother is there on business, my grandma lives in Sendai, and I have an aunt around there somewhere. Here's the last message I got from my sister who's trying to get a hold of everyone:

"Mom is in Kyoto right now, where all the hotels are booked.  She has
A room for tonight, but if Shinkansen (bullet train) does not move
tororrow, which is likely, she will have no hotel, might have to move
farther into the country.  However, her phone lines are ok, and there
is food/water. From my mom:  no trains are moving.   No buses, airports
closed.

My aunt is in Tokyo, and is ok. I'm not sure what the state is in her
burb, but she says she's ok.

The only concern right now is Gma, who is in Sendai, which was hit by
the tsunami.  She went swimming in the morning and should have been
home by the time it hit, unless she diddled around.  If she was home, she
would be inland far enough and be ok.  Her phone rings but no answer.
She either vacated her house and got into the shelter (they keep
Track of the elderly and will come pick them up if they need to be
evacuated) or telephone is out of order.  Sendai is black out. My aunt Kumiko
cannot get hold of Sendai police, my mother's friend, emergency
agency, nothing. Food at the stores at Sendai is all gone
, TV is saying.
Also, it snowed this a.m. so it's cold, problem if the electricity is out.

I'm sure Gma will turn up shortly, once communication has been restored
a bit.  Thanks again for all your prayers and warm fuzzy thoughts!"

I am not as optimistic as my sister is, nor do I trust the authorities to "round up the elderly" or do anything in a efficient capacity at this time. I will post updates as they come. I am interested to see how well/poorly the Japanese respond, compared to FEMA ala Katrina.

My prayers are sent for your family (and for the people in Japan in general too).

While my wife is Korean, she has relatives living in and near Tokyo also.  They (thankfully) have all been accounted for and are physically OK, damage and no electricity or gas, but alive and uninjured.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:54:46 AM EDT
[#6]
This is a shining example of how things go down fast, VERY FAST, even in one of the most developed nations in the world.

No food, no water, no gas, no electricity! Things would boil down to widespread rioting and death very fast, not to mention diseases due to the flooding. Dysentery is always waiting right around the corner to prey upon the victims of a disaster like this.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:37:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Seems things have taken a serious turn for the worst at Fukushima-1.

Around 3:30pm local time on the 12th, there was an explosion of white smoke near unit 1.  There photos confirming as much.  That it is white smoke is bad, really bad.  This would be an indication of a steam explosion on the primary loop, rather than some sort of explosion of their diesel backups, or some other plant subsystem.  There are reports that I can't confirm that indicate a collapsed roof of the containment building.

I'm stunned by the lack of techinical information.

Yes, this accident happened on the other side of the Earth, but it's inexcusable that our own Executive Branch and the [technical] organizations under their direct control can't relay effective information. If we didn't know what was going on at Fukushima-1, then the administration officials should have said so, and just left it at that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:44:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Seems things have taken a serious turn for the worst at Fukushima-1.

Around 3:30pm local time on the 12th, there was an explosion of white smoke near unit 1.  There photos confirming as much.  That it is white smoke is bad, really bad.  This would be an indication of a steam explosion on the primary loop, rather than some sort of explosion of their diesel backups, or some other plant subsystem.  There are reports that I can't confirm that indicate a collapsed roof of the containment building.

I'm stunned by the lack of techinical information.

Yes, this accident happened on the other side of the Earth, but it's inexcusable that our own Executive Branch and the [technical] organizations under their direct control can't relay effective information. If we didn't know what was going on at Fukushima-1, then the administration officials should have said so, and just left it at that.

Did you see the video footage of the explosion?  You can see the massive blast concussion as it explodes.  Must have been a huge boom.

I posed a question earlier in the thread regarding how much of the island would be uninhabitable if this turned into a Chernobyl type scenario.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:03:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:04:52 AM EDT
[#10]
If a plant melts down- be advised- it will then be on the way to most of the US.

Have your duct tape ready

Oh yeah say good by to all the rice in Japan and all our crops will be contaminated too.

And unless its a real big explosion we won't be told, watch for FEMA to show their hand first.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:28:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If a plant melts down- be advised- it will then be on the way to most of the US.

Have your duct tape ready

Oh yeah say good by to all the rice in Japan and all our crops will be contaminated too.

And unless its a real big explosion we won't be told, watch for FEMA to show their hand first.

I can guarantee you the effect here will be very minimal. We get most of our rice from Texas. Don't panic about this.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:30:00 AM EDT
[#12]
be prepared for a big shift of $$$$.....Japan currently hold about $900,000,000.00 in US treasury securities.

they might find a reason to cash some of those in......
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:39:50 AM EDT
[#13]
...like i said on page one...when the gov says everything is under control, nothing to worry about...its time to run.
Fears of meltdown calm after explosion at Japanese nuclear plant
summery- gov says "no no, its a good thing that the building that the reactor is in blew up! everything is fine.....but now we need to push everyone back another 17K..."

vid of explosion
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:02:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's my best guess.

Reactor scrams because of the earthquake, and loss of offsite power [normal].
Backup generators kick in to provide power to the Emergency Cooling Sys [normal].
Generators fail then the tsumani hits [abnormal].
Relying on more passive systems, part of the core experiences "dry out" where 100% of the water is now steam, and the 'dry' fuel cladding fails [acceptable up to certain levels].
Cladding failure releases fission byproducts into the coolant flow [again, acceptable up to certain levels].
Cladding failure also releases hydrogen into the coolant (high temp metal failure disassociates the hydrogen from the oxygen in the water) [this is to be expected]
Fission gasses and hydrogen are vented from the coolant into the containment building [normal]
Containment building offgasses excess pressure through the stacks (most radiation is captured in the stack scrubbers) [normal]
Maybe the pressure in the containment and hydrogen buildup is at a pace too fast to send through the stacks [abnormal]
Something ignited the hydrogen
[it happened at TMI-2, but because this was a 2000psi PWR instead of a 1000psi BWR, the more robust containment building worked as advertized]
Containment building blows.

Unlike TMI-2, Fukushima blew the containment building.
Unlike Chernobyl, the reactor vessel at Fukushima is probably still intact, and containing the vast, overwhelming majority of the problem.

Seems like the Exec Branch, DOE, FEMA, etc, should be using this as a real-time training event.  Somebody in the Obama admin should have put the word out to DOE and FEMA to bring all essential hands to deck.  DOE should then have put word out to industry [in the US] to free up personel to assist govt ops.  Though, I doubt any of this happened.

Anyone at DOE, etc, who bitches about having to work around the clock and on a weekend during one of the worst disasters in history shouldn't have a job.

DOE should have been acting as a clearing house for information, in conjunction with FEMA.

While there is probably nothing we could have done to assist the Japanese, we could have used this event to ensure that we have robust communications and effective responses to an event that could happen on our shore some day.

Tin Foil Time:  Obama says, "fuck the reactor, this is why we shouldn't have nuclear power plants" and deliberately does nothing, hoping for failure.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:11:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
...like i said on page one...when the gov says everything is under control, nothing to worry about...its time to run.
summery- gov says "no no, its a good thing that the building that the reactor is in blew up! everything is fine.....but now we need to push everyone back another 17K..."

vid of explosion

At the very start of the blast, you can see the condensation bow wave directly above the containment building.

I hope all of the engineers and technitians onsite are ok.  Though, I'm having a tough time believing that nobody was near containment when it blew.

Again, I'll reiterate that this is probably not a Chernobyl-type disaster.  I think most of the problem is being contained.  To many of you, though, I probably sound like Baghdad Bob right now; I don't fault you in the least for feeling that way.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:14:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here's my best guess.

Reactor scrams because of the earthquake, and loss of offsite power [normal].
Backup generators kick in to provide power to the Emergency Cooling Sys [normal].
Generators fail then the tsumani hits [abnormal].
Relying on more passive systems, part of the core experiences "dry out" where 100% of the water is now steam, and the 'dry' fuel cladding fails [acceptable up to certain levels].
Cladding failure releases fission byproducts into the coolant flow [again, acceptable up to certain levels].
Cladding failure also releases hydrogen into the coolant (high temp metal failure disassociates the hydrogen from the oxygen in the water) [this is to be expected]
Fission gasses and hydrogen are vented from the coolant into the containment building [normal]
Containment building offgasses excess pressure through the stacks (most radiation is captured in the stack scrubbers) [normal]
Maybe the pressure in the containment and hydrogen buildup is at a pace too fast to send through the stacks [abnormal]
Something ignited the hydrogen
[it happened at TMI-2, but because this was a 2000psi PWR instead of a 1000psi BWR, the more robust containment building worked as advertized]
Containment building blows.

Unlike TMI-2, Fukushima blew the containment building.
Unlike Chernobyl, the reactor vessel at Fukushima is probably still intact, and containing the vast, overwhelming majority of the problem.

Seems like the Exec Branch, DOE, FEMA, etc, should be using this as a real-time training event.  Somebody in the Obama admin should have put the word out to DOE and FEMA to bring all essential hands to deck.  DOE should then have put word out to industry [in the US] to free up personel to assist govt ops.  Though, I doubt any of this happened.

Anyone at DOE, etc, who bitches about having to work around the clock and on a weekend during one of the worst disasters in history shouldn't have a job.

DOE should have been acting as a clearing house for information, in conjunction with FEMA.

While there is probably nothing we could have done to assist the Japanese, we could have used this event to ensure that we have robust communications and effective responses to an event that could happen on our shore some day.

Tin Foil Time:  Obama says, "fuck the reactor, this is why we shouldn't have nuclear power plants" and deliberately does nothing, hoping for failure.

This happens way too often with him.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:32:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

vid of explosion

At the very start of the blast, you can see the condensation bow wave directly above the containment building.

I hope all of the engineers and technitians onsite are ok.  Though, I'm having a tough time believing that nobody was near containment when it blew.

Again, I'll reiterate that this is probably not a Chernobyl-type disaster.  I think most of the problem is being contained.  To many of you, though, I probably sound like Baghdad Bob right now; I don't fault you in the least for feeling that way.

I would say that a full meltdown PROBUBLY wont happen. but I do think that the gov over there is lieing about the situation.
gov says "everything is under control, nothing to worry about"
reactor building exploding is a pretty clear sign that it is NOT under control.
increasing the evac zone five fold is also a sign that there IS something to worry about.
this is just the kind of thing that a gov agency would keep a lid on, right up until the time that it blows to avoid "panic".

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:10:14 AM EDT
[#18]
The BWR containment is called a Drywell, It contains reactor and other critical components. If the building that sits around the drywall/containment blew you still have major problems. Total loss of all key components that are housed in the building (control room, pumps, safety shutdown components,diesel generators) etc. I see major catastrophe coming , this is really sad.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:07:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Ok, I don't pretend to understand any more than the absolute basics of Nuclear power production.  It seems like most of the issues with Fukushima-1 could be fixed by one of the larger USN ships pulling up and lending some of its power/pumping capacity, right?  Or, now that the  building blew, are we past that point?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#20]

I don't pretend to know either, but from what I've read its too late.

Here's one of the better explanations I've read:  http://www.stratfor.com/analysis/20110312-red-alert-nuclear-meltdown-quake-damaged-japanese-plant

This was from around 5a this morning, so may be old information at this point.

-Slice

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Slice, sorry, but that article is complete crap.

It's not your fault, so don't take it personally.  

Wouldn't it be nice if we had somebody on the government payroll, say at the federal level, who's job it was to, uh, I don't know, uh manage emergencies?  Oh, wait, we do....and they're doing nothing to get vetted and accurate information to the public, and his boss is probably on the golf course, or watching the NCAA tournament, or something like that.  Nice.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#22]
About all I can say is Japan is in a major CF right now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I lived in Japan for four years, and still have family and friends there.  What I love about that country is the lack of crime.  You will not see the obligatory looting and crime that you see over here.  They actually take care of each other there.  If this happened here, the looting would be rampant.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Wouldn't it be nice if we had somebody on the government payroll, say at the federal level, who's job it was to, uh, I don't know, uh manage emergencies?  Oh, wait, we do....and they're doing nothing to get vetted and accurate information to the public, and his boss is probably on the golf course, or watching the NCAA tournament, or something like that.  Nice.

No worries, just seemed reasonable to me.  Like I said, I'm out of my league here.  Is there something less crappy to read?

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Any reports of issue at any US facilities in Japan?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ok, I don't pretend to understand any more than the absolute basics of Nuclear power production.  It seems like most of the issues with Fukushima-1 could be fixed by one of the larger USN ships pulling up and lending some of its power/pumping capacity, right?  Or, now that the  building blew, are we past that point?

Past that point. I don't know how they would tie into there coolant system since the place just blew. They could have ran a rubber/metallic lined piping system to tie into the circ water system..I have seen this done in the US during spent fuel pool piping repairs to keep water running to the pool and heat exchangers. None of these problems would have happened if there EDG's (emergency diesels) wouldn't have failed. I would love to know why the back up systems all failed. In the US every safety related component is support by seismic snubbers an or supports to help movement during quakes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']

Past that point. I don't know how they would tie into there coolant system since the place just blew. They could have ran a rubber/metallic lined piping system to tie into the circ water system..I have seen this done in the US during spent fuel pool piping repairs to keep water running to the pool and heat exchangers. None of these problems would have happened if there EDG's (emergency diesels) wouldn't have failed. I would love to know why the back up systems all failed. In the US every safety related component is support by seismic snubbers an or supports to help movement during quakes.

From what I've read, our plants are built to withstand a 7 Magnitude quake. If their plants are built to the same standard, the 8.9 could have overwhelmed them. Also, the Tsunami could have be the culprit. The diesel generators at the plants I've been at are on the ground level, outside.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#28]
The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4 meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis.....

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.earthquake.tsunami.earth/index.html?hpt=T1

(my html skills not worky today)
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Something I've heard nothing about is the spent fuel pool. It requires cooling  and it has no containment now that the reactor building's roof is gone. If they are anything like us here, they have 30 years of spent fuel bundles sitting in racks under water in a pool next to (and slightly above) the Reactor Pressure Vessel on what is called the refuel floor. If water cannot be kept over these bundles bad things happen. This exactly the location of the explosion. Is the spent fuel pool intact (pool walls and floor are not very thick stainless steel)? If so is there water in it? The fuel bundles could have been blown out of the pool and ruptured/destroyed with the size of the explosion I saw.  This is a very bad day for the nuclear industry and an even worse day for Japan.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No worries, just seemed reasonable to me.  Like I said, I'm out of my league here.  Is there something less crappy to read?

All the stuff I've found so far is pure garbage.  But don't worry, because our president isn't worried; in fact, he's going golfing this afternoon and then going to some press corps party later tonight (according to info on Drudge).

Now remember, I can't think of one single media outlet that has a single quote from anyone at DOE or NRC....some 38+ hours after the accident.

Forget for a moment the utter devastation in the rest of Japan, and just look at the reactor.  That's a GE reactor, and if I'm not mistaken, the fuel in the core was manufactured in the US.  By my estimation, the US has a lot at stake here.

This Obama dude just doesn't get it.  Cancel the damned golf outing and take a moment to learn what's going on.  The man has no intellectual curiousity for the world around him.  Aside from his own little social projects, he really doensn't seem to be engaged by anything.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#31]
New video:  http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.nuclear/index.html

Cliff notes:  There is a fuel rod melt down already and if this doesn't get under control well God Help them!

EDIT - I was curious about KIO3 (Potassim Iodate) tablets so I looked one up:

http://store.advancedmart.com/poio200ca8.html

On their page I read this:  

Sorry due to events in Japan we are out of stock, If more become available we will open ordering again.

Personally, I hope that means someone at .gov bought everything they had and it is on a military cargo jet to Japan!  I have a bad healing they may need it!

Some interesting text from an article on fox:  http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/12/shaking-smoke-seen-japanese-nuclear-plant-facing-possible-meltdown/

<snip>

"All we have to eat are biscuits and rice balls," said Noboru Uehara, 24, a delivery truck driver who was wrapped in a blanket against the cold at center in Iwake. "I'm worried that we will run out of food."

<snip>

"Everyone wants to get out of the town. But the roads are terrible," said Reiko Takagi, a middle-aged woman, standing outside a taxi company. "It is too dangerous to go anywhere. But we are afraid that winds may change and bring radiation toward us."

The transport ministry said all highways from Tokyo leading to quake-hit areas were closed, except for emergency vehicles. Mobile communications were spotty and calls to the devastated areas were going unanswered.

Local TV stations broadcast footage of people lining up for water and food such as rice balls. In Fukushima, city officials were handing out bottled drinks, snacks and blankets. But there were large areas that were surrounded by water and were unreachable.

<snip>

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The GIs (well, Airmen) on Facebook are grumbling about not being able to help with the relief efforts, but it doesn't sound like too much actual issue on Post.  Some great pictures of the roads just outside of base though...

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Personal update:

My mother just managed to get a call out from Japan.
She's been holed up in Kyoto stuck lately, but is now going to try to move to Tokyo to pick up my aunt.
And they're both going to attempt to get into Sendai to help my grandmother via bullet train (aren't running, don't know when they'll start again).
Keep in mind no one has actually made contact with my grandmother, a "security company" verified her status (OK) and got a message out somehow.
There is still no electricity or water service.

They're family, I love them.
My mother said on the phone "Don't worry, Japanese are very good at handling this."
Who does she think she's fooling? I can tell she doesn't believe it, and she's scared shitless.
Why do I feel like they're doing something really stupid right now?
She is puttin way to much faith in public transportation and the .gov to save her bacon IMHO.
I don't even know what the implications of this nuke plant going down will do to Sendai, or surrounding areas.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Personal update:

My mother just managed to get a call out from Japan.
She's been holed up in Kyoto stuck lately, but is now going to try to move to Tokyo to pick up my aunt.
And they're both going to attempt to get into Sendai to help my grandmother via bullet train (aren't running, don't know when they'll start again).
Keep in mind no one has actually made contact with my grandmother, a "security company" verified her status (OK) and got a message out somehow.
There is still no electricity or water service.

They're family, I love them.
My mother said on the phone "Don't worry, Japanese are very good at handling this."
Who does she think she's fooling? I can tell she doesn't believe it, and she's scared shitless.
Why do I feel like they're doing something really stupid right now?
She is puttin way to much faith in public transportation and the .gov to save her bacon IMHO.
I don't even know what the implications of this nuke plant going down will do to Sendai, or surrounding areas.

if you manage to get ahold of her, i would tell her to get as far upwind as she can as fast as she can.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#35]
What I'm worried about is another big one hitting that area in the next few days. Or the Gulf of California. The latter just started showing some decent seismic activity. Hopefully it's not a precursor of something big. But if I was living there I'd get out of dodge for a bit.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Sorry due to events in Japan we are out of stock, If more become available we will open ordering again.

Looks like CVS still has some if you feel the need:  http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=190658&productId=190658&navAction=jump&navCount=3.  It's Potassium Iodine, not iodate.  Unclear the difference....

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:29:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I lived in Japan for four years, and still have family and friends there.  What I love about that country is the lack of crime.  You will not see the obligatory looting and crime that you see over here.  They actually take care of each other there.  If this happened here, the looting would be rampant.

+1

We are 170 miles north of sendai, and I know familys who have already made a couple trips delivering clothing and personal cleaning item to the area.  We are gathering clothes to take there.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:31:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No major issuses, We had power, water, phone, internet and heat knocked out, It just came up a few hours ago. (Misawa AB northern Japan)

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:58:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like CVS still has some if you feel the need:  http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=190658&productId=190658&navAction=jump&navCount=3.  It's Potassium Iodine, not iodate.  Unclear the difference....

Honestly, I am not going to buy with the hope that if Japan needs it the supply can get to them.  I will buy some in a couple weeks as I still see this as a low risk issue (assuming I don't need to go to Japan or Russia).
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#40]
talk about when it rains... it pours, did anyone else catch the story about the volcano that is erupting? If things are not bad enough, the ash being pumped into the air may prohibit any air travel in the region. Hoping it doesn't since for some areas, air relief is the only option right now. This should be a heads up to alot of folks that the smart family has a good supply of food/supplies and a couple of plans on what to do in different emergencies.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:29:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Thus far I have been able to hear back from most of my Japanese friends as of this morning and their families are safe.    

I received the following feedback from from my friends:

* They're cutting off the power supply (reduction in use of trains, factory opertions, etc.) in the Tokyo area due to the reactor problems and it is making the economic impact of the tsunami on the region even worse.

* Here's a direct quote from one of my friends since it shows the character of the Japanese people even under such difficult conditions, "All the people keep the presence of mind. There is no confusion, uprising and plunder."

* They're eternally greatful to have such friends from around the world that are offering assistance.

I pray for their continued safey and recovery.

(名) 幸運

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, Samsung just decided to send all (or at least some, but I think they said all) of their Americans with positions in Korea back to the states due to radiation.  I've got a friend who should be getting on a plane in about 10 hours to come home.  To say he is relieved would be an understatement.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top