Quoted:
Quoted:
BB gun.
Take that to GD.  

FIFY

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Grab an M&P 15-22 for training. IMHO AK has A little too much recoil for the ladies. Also 762x39 could  become extremely expensive very quickly with an executive order
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Grab an M&P 15-22 for training. IMHO AK has A little too much recoil for the ladies. Also 762x39 could  become extremely expensive very quickly with an executive order
View Quote

If recoil is a concern, the AK-74 then. Ammo for that is even cheaper. Regarding the risk of an executive order, I can't base my plans on what BO might do. He may try to confiscate all our "assault rifles."

Realize my voice is in the minority here. The soviet block weapons and ammo are still a good value, though. Don't be so quick to discount them as a viable option.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#4]
After prepped and trained on the AR platform, I doubt anyone on this board would disagree with
the suggestion to branch off to the AKM or even move into the realm of battle rifles in 7.62mm.

Not to push towards buying more than you can use, but the ability to effectively deploy any of the most
commonly encountered weapons is a valuable skill set.  You never know may you may pick up off the ground.
AK, AR, FAL, M14, SKS, Mosin-Nagants etc.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, I would wait for Black Friday sales.  Last year, PSA had uppers for $250 or so IIRC.  Blem lowers were going for $50.  You might be able to put to together a quality rifle for a little over $500

I'm going to go against the grain and say that if I only had one bolt action hunting rifle, I would rather it be chambered in 7mm-08 than 308.  I could not find 308 bullets of any weight during the last panic to reload for my 308 or 300 Win mag.  I could buy ,284 bullets for my 7mm rem mag anywhere.  Also, necking down 308 brass to make 7mm-08 brass is simple.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Two PSA ar's first. I'd buy 14.5" middays but that's totally subjective
Do this first if you're worried about Obungo or congress.  
Then magazines and spares parts, maybe even two PSA blem lowers for the safe.
Next is a .22 - CZ bolt action or 10/22 take down. Magazines and optics
Then a 12g with short and long barrels. Pawn shop or cabelas.
Then go into "pimping" the ARs. Aimpoint and a 4-12x on the other, etc

200 rnds for the 7.08

Good luck

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

This.  Optional substitute a S&W M&P 15/22 rifle in pace of the 10/22.  It handles/manipulates exactly the same as your ARs do.  I love mine.

Ammo for everything.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#7]
your in MN, goto fleet farm. they have their own brand of AR's that they sell.
good prices. very nice AR's in piston and DI.
they also have tons as .223 wolf ammo for stocking up on only slightly above pre panic prices.

if you ever get to the brainerd area they have a new dedicated gun store/range there with lots in stock.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing wrong with that bolt gun...  You have a handgun...  Add a pump action shotgun and you should have covered most of what 99% SHTF situations can throw at you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#9]
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-PMAG-AR15-Magazine-p/mag571-fde.htm

$11 pmags. How much are decent AK mags in today's market?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Double tap
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:38:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
they also have tons as .223 wolf ammo for stocking up on only slightly above pre panic prices.

if you ever get to the brainerd area they have a new dedicated gun store/range there with lots in stock.
View Quote

Who?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:51:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Are you set up well for the firearms you have now?
Plenty of ammo, magazines, parts, etc?
If not, I'd take care of that first.

You could just put a quality AR on layaway.
This would allow you to pay over time, and avoid the whole credit card thing.
While you are making payments on that AR, start acquiring quality mags and ammo.
Since you don't have the rifle in hand, you'll have time to shop around for good deals.
At the prices they're at now, I have a hard time thinking mags will get any cheaper.
When you have that one, well thought out and kitted out rifle in your grubby little paws , do it again.

You could split the difference.
Get a CC with 0% interest for so many months, and purchase a solid AR, along with SOME mags and ammo.
Pay that mother off!
This gets you something in your hands now, in case the North Korean paratroopers drop tomorrow.
Add more ammo, mags and spares as time and $ allows.
Now that you have that one rifle with its accessories and your CC is paid off, find another AR at your local gun shop
and put it on layaway.

As far as a SHTF battery goes, I'd stick to one platform or the other.
Arguments can be made for being able to use different kinds of ammo, but IMHO, that benefit is more theoretical than anything.
You're going to have two different kinds of ammo to stock, along with mags, pouches, spare parts, etc.
If you're going to be proficient in the use of both, your training time and $ is doubled.

Once your SHTF firearms goals are met, you can always get your AKs later.
Contrary to arfcom conventional wisdom, enjoyment is a valid reason for firearms ownership.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-PMAG-AR15-Magazine-p/mag571-fde.htm

$11 pmags. How much are decent AK mags in today's market?
View Quote

Depends on what one considers decent, I prefer steel soviet block magazines. Probably $17 unless you get a deal for a bulk buy.

damn good price on pmags at bcm. I just a news letter from them where you can get a pack of 100 for $900 something. Tempting. Never can have too many magazines.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:07:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey guys sorry for no responses, been working graveyards and trying to sleep a bit more.

The wife and I have decided to wait and purchase cash in hand. Thanks for all the input gentlemen.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:43:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Who?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who?

fleet farm
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Mills Fleet Farm just opened up a new store in my hometown a few months ago and it's HUGE...also a very pro 2A company.
View Quote
Yup. They were fighting the good fight here in MN this summer when our wonderful state gov't tried to go full retard on gun control.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You could split the difference.
Get a CC with 0% interest for so many months, and purchase a solid AR, along with SOME mags and ammo.
Pay that mother off!
This gets you something in your hands now, in case the North Korean paratroopers drop tomorrow.
Add more ammo, mags and spares as time and $ allows.
Now that you have that one rifle with its accessories and your CC is paid off, find another AR at your local gun shop
and put it on layaway.
View Quote

Your entire post was Gold but this was the real winner.
It can't be hard to get 12 months 0% with the OP's situation.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Could you look at other options?

There are a few very serviceable shotguns for under $250. If recoil was a concern go to a 20ga. Even my 10 year old daughter can shoot that.

The good thing is ammo is still cheaper. 100 round pack of practice birdshot at Walmart is like $25 still. And bulk packs of buckshot are less then a dollar a round. Add some slugs and a whole lot of cheap practice and you can reach out past 100 yards and defend up close very easily.

Plus no magazines, optics, or add ons are really needed.

Cost wise:

$250 gun or less if you find a used one.
$100 in practice ammo gets you 400 rounds or close to it.
$200 in defense ammo slugs/buckshot gets you 200-250 rounds

your at $550 with training ammo and  defense ammo

AR $1000 +650 rounds = close to $1300 plus not counting extra mags and optics.

If debt were involved I would go with what I could afford and not buy things I couldn't.

The only thing I would go into debt to buy would be food and water treatment equipment.  If you don't have 90 days of both your in much more of a bad spot then you think.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#20]
i would not finance a gun with a credit card. instead... go to the gunshop, and find a nice deal, and put it on layaway.  you should have at least 90 days to pay for it. some pawn shops will let you lawaway things for 6 months to a year.

personally, for the money. the ar-15 is the way to go. the ak is simply not worth the money they command today. when they were $350 each, and $5.00 mags, they WERE a awesome deal. i have not seen any of them in quite a while for less than $500. and a ar-15 can be had for $600ish. the ar15 wins in price and availability of ammo, mags, and parts. plus, it has much better sights, and can cover a much wider range of uses.

also. i have the m&p 15-22 rifles. they are EXCELLENT, for a cheap training rifle, that functions exactly like the bigger ar-15. all the controls are the same, and its a very reliable, and very accurate little .22 rifle. my kids and myself love ours. im planning to buy 2 more in the coming months.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Now is a great time to buy AR type rifles. Ak's and such haven't gone down as much, the parts kit fiasco may be to blame.

I would get a couple Colt 6920s (or PSA rifles) and keep them pretty basic as it's easy to sink alot of money into accessories. Mags and ammo should be next; forget accessorizing until you have a decent supply of those.

The only necessary accessories are a good sling and weapon light (in my opinion).

I would jump on the opportunity now because things are volatile. Wouldn't take much for another panic or who knows what.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Since your duty rifle is an AR, pick up a couple or 3 AR's. Training for one manual of arms is the way to go. AK's are good rifles for SHTF, but having one system aat work and another at home is bass ackwards.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm going to have to go a different route than some of the other posters, with all of the times recently where something has happened and overnight the run on guns and ammo begins, along with your situation of only having two handguns and one bolt action, I would suggest getting them while the gettins good. Don't forget mags, spare parts and ammo.

As far as gun choice, pick one platform that suits you and stick with it, equip it how you want it. And train with it.

I personally chose the AR, I have an AK but it's more for nostalgia.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:36:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I already posted my opinion on the issue.  However, after reading all the talk on financing and the CC...I wonder how many people did this at the height of the panic, paid $1200+ for a budget rifle and are STILL paying it off even though prices are now about half that!  

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I already posted my opinion on the issue.  However, after reading all the talk on financing and the CC...I wonder how many people did this at the height of the panic, paid $1200+ for a budget rifle and are STILL paying it off even though prices are now about half that!  

-Emt1581

View Quote

I wish I had the credit to buy period, panic or not
But that's neither here nor there. OP implied financial stability and good credit. Find a 0% card and finance the rifle - just the rifle. Not an Aimpoint and PVS-14 and SDN-6 too
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

They also sell a 5.45 rifle, and Fleet Farm has dirt cheap ammo, like $100/tin (this was last year, pre Sandy Hook, in Wisconsin) of 1020 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:40:24 AM EDT
[#27]
I like the idea of the detachable 10 rd mag fed bolt actions coming out now. Easy maint and such. Can do double duty.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Since you aren't just buying guns for fun...  And you don't have either now...

For commonality, 2 ARs.  Parts, ammunition and magazines are in "common use" (LEA, military, shooters).  The AKs serve what purpose?   A purpose that needs another magazine, ammo, etc.?  Back up?  Just get a third AR (later).

Set both ARs up to maximize commonality.  1 battery type for optics, for example.

I recommend commonality for "prep" hand guns too in a group / family.  Same magazines, etc.  

If your idea was to have the AKs for "hand outs"?  Mosin-Nagants.   10 years ago I would have said SKS, but that was when those were $99.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
This.  Optional substitute a S&W M&P 15/22 rifle in pace of the 10/22.  It handles/manipulates exactly the same as your ARs do.  I love mine.

Ammo for everything.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Two PSA ar's first. I'd buy 14.5" middays but that's totally subjective

Do this first if you're worried about Obungo or congress.  

Then magazines and spares parts, maybe even two PSA blem lowers for the safe.

Next is a .22 - CZ bolt action or 10/22 take down. Magazines and optics

Then a 12g with short and long barrels. Pawn shop or cabelas.

Then go into "pimping" the ARs. Aimpoint and a 4-12x on the other, etc

200 rnds for the 7.08

Good luck

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Ammo for everything.

Or a .22 conversion kit or two.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top