User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

BTW, I don't understand the comments on various kerosene heater threads about the difficulty in using the on board battery ignition system.

As long as the user understands how they work, are adjusted correctly, they are a HUGE convenience to getting a heater lit.

If anyone is having trouble getting theirs to work properly, please describe the issues, maybe we all can help.
View Quote
Meh, I have mixed results. I probably need to replace the ignitor, but I am too cheap. Gets cherry red, contacts the wick, about 50% success rate of actually getting it to fire.

On another topic, has anyone had issues with this year's kero? Broke into what I got this fall, and it seems to not burn as well (more smell) in the radiant units. The perfection doesn't care, but I notice a difference when I switch back and forth between the latest crop and the older stuff. Interesting.... May need to try some snake oil additive . It almost seems to have a considerably higher flash point.

ETA: All kero goes through a Mr Funnel before getting into my heaters.

Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Rat, a few days ago I just finished using last years kerosene.
I started burning new 1K after that.
I haven't noticed any difference in my Sengoku CTN-110, or Sengoku OR-77.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Some very nice/new Kero Sun heaters on ebay now...

View Quote

Yes, there are!
I want a Moon Lighter so bad, I can taste it! (tastes like kerosene )
It's just hard for me to pull the trigger, when I can buy another Sengoku CTN-110 on sale for half the price.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Meh, I have mixed results. I probably need to replace the ignitor, but I am too cheap. Gets cherry red, contacts the wick, about 50% success rate of actually getting it to fire.    

On another topic, has anyone had issues with this year's kero? Broke into what I got this fall, and it seems to not burn as well (more smell) in the radiant units. The perfection doesn't care, but I notice a difference when I switch back and forth between the latest crop and the older stuff. Interesting.... May need to try some snake oil additive . It almost seems to have a considerably higher flash point.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BTW, I don't understand the comments on various kerosene heater threads about the difficulty in using the on board battery ignition system.

As long as the user understands how they work, are adjusted correctly, they are a HUGE convenience to getting a heater lit.

If anyone is having trouble getting theirs to work properly, please describe the issues, maybe we all can help.

I mix my kerosene with mineral spirits and I still noticed a difference over the last few days of heavy use. My older kerosene doesn't sink nearly as much. I think it might be partly where I got it. The stuff I bought in PA didn't smell like this stuff does.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Rat & Batman, do you have Sheetz service stations in your areas?
I bought last years, and this years pump 1K there, and it's been GTG.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long have the batteries been in there?

Sounds like your problem.

I can get 2 to 3 years on a set of D's. Of light use.

I like walking over to the heaters, pushing a button and having them start. Don't smoke and only have Bic lighters in the toolbox. SO has strike anywhere's all over but I can never find them.  

A couple years ago I bought a small, brand spankin new Aladdin kero heater on ebay. The original batteries were in the box, the old carbon zinc type. No leakage. Guessing the heater is 20 YO.

Excellent heater...

Link Posted: 1/8/2014 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#7]
The biggest issue I see is corrosion in the battery compartments.  I usually clean them out with a little muriatic acid.  It would be great if they would remake the battery compartments.

New moonlighter fan here too! I have a bunch of the Double Cleans but this is my first moonlighter and its a great little heater. Super bright compared to my day to day DC-60 but if the lights are out it will be great.

I went to clean it up and ALL the paint came off in sheets so it was time for some at home powder coating. Cant miss it now.

Link Posted: 1/9/2014 5:10:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Buickz, that's beautiful!
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks!  My only gripe with the moonlighter is that shutting off the heater always leaves large soot flakes inside the burner area.   I am running a replacement fiberglass wick vs. the original cotton one so I am thinking that might be the reason coupled with its wick raise and lower method.   I still can't believe how long it runs on a tank of fuel.  Even my smallest DC-60 isnt nearly as frugal and its only a couple hundred BTU's more supposedly.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice job Buick!!!

Link Posted: 1/9/2014 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I lucked out. I needed a better emergency backup heat system to supplement my Buddy Heater. A coworker told me I could have a kerosene space heater she was going to throw away. She said it needed a new wick, and her son tried to fix it and couldn't get it to work.

So I got it, for free!

KeroWorld model KW24G. It sat on the front porch since this summer. Today I went and bought a new wick (the hardware store had the exact model on display for sale, so parts should be easy to find), and went about tearing it down to replace it. Come to find out it's got a brand new one already in it. Took me about two hours to figure out the proper way to reassemble it. He had put it back together wrong, and the manuals have almost NO helpful pictures. Ran it two different times to test it out. The house stinks now, so I'll be sure to light and extinguish it outside.

Grabbed 10 gal of K1 at the local station and stashed it in the basement with the heater. Now I feel much more prepared for a power outage in the cold.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 4:19:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I like walking over to the heaters, pushing a button and having them start. Don't smoke and only have Bic lighters in the toolbox. SO has strike anywhere's all over but I can never find them.  

A couple years ago I bought a small, brand spankin new Aladdin kero heater on ebay. The original batteries were in the box, the old carbon zinc type. No leakage. Guessing the heater is 20 YO.

Excellent heater...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Originally PosteI  By Rat_Patrol:

Quoted:

Excellent heater...
New batteries. I wonder what would happen if i converted it to 9 volt

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Centuryhouse, I would first make sure that the lowering / raising mechanism is working properly.

Good luck!
View Quote

Thanks RSQHobbs. There was old fuel in it, which the family I bought it from told me was about 10 years old. I checked the wick and it raised/lowered. I added batteries and the igniter works fine. I cleaned it inside and out and lit it, and it does run. I haven't tried to tip it while running yet, but will.

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I mix my kerosene with mineral spirits and I still noticed a difference over the last few days of heavy use. My older kerosene doesn't sink nearly as much. I think it might be partly where I got it. The stuff I bought in PA didn't smell like this stuff does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On another topic, has anyone had issues with this year's kero? Broke into what I got this fall, and it seems to not burn as well (more smell) in the radiant units. The perfection doesn't care, but I notice a difference when I switch back and forth between the latest crop and the older stuff. Interesting.... It almost seems to have a considerably higher flash point.

I bought a few gallons of red kero a while back and got used to using it in lamps etc. I went back to the same place a few months later and the smell was FAR different, almost like gas instead of kerosene. I couldn't tell anything about flash points, but I did cautiously try it out and it seemed to act the same as the other kero.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I went to clean it up and ALL the paint came off in sheets so it was time for some at home powder coating. Cant miss it now.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee362/buickz/20131230_233033_zps502bf8c1.jpg
View Quote

Nicely done, looks great!
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is there any way to heat with Kero in a device that doesn't utilize any consumables? No Wick, mantles, etc or do they all need that?
View Quote

They used to make heater tops for the Swedish Kerosene stoves.  I can't imagine that they put out much in the way of BTUs though- I always assumed they were meant for tents and ice fishing and stuff like that.  THe tops are kind of rare nowadays bot people are making repros.  Here is a guy selling one type:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAP-HEATER-for-Kerosene-Camping-Stove-Limited-Edition-for-Collecting-Mania-/321144024077?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac5acec0d
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAP-HEATER-for-Camping-Stove-Grate-of-3-legs-such-as-OmniLite-Ti-Optimus-Nova-/321282476007?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acded87e7

I don't know anything about the seller nor how practical they'd be.  They DO intrigue me though.

[edit] found this on them: http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?fid/37/t/12941/

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopicforreply.php?iframe/1/fid/399/tid/11587/pid/102238/post/102238/
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I bought a few gallons of red kero a while back and got used to using it in lamps etc. I went back to the same place a few months later and the smell was FAR different, almost like gas instead of kerosene. I couldn't tell anything about flash points, but I did cautiously try it out and it seemed to act the same as the other kero.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
On another topic, has anyone had issues with this year's kero? Broke into what I got this fall, and it seems to not burn as well (more smell) in the radiant units. The perfection doesn't care, but I notice a difference when I switch back and forth between the latest crop and the older stuff. Interesting.... It almost seems to have a considerably higher flash point.

My supplier said kerosene was being reformulated last year. Maybe this is the reason for the new smell. More Gov regulations. I can't get pump kerosene without dye even though it costs more than taxed diesel.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#18]
batmanacw: What ratio were you mixing again?

ETA: Thinking of just dumping a gallon of it per 55gallon barrel. Or, do you mix as you use it? I may have to try it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Excellent heater...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Originally PosteI  By Rat_Patrol:

Excellent heater...

If the batteries are new, then pick up a new igniter on ebay or at the H-W store.

There are abt 4 types and take all of 15 seconds to replace. They look like an old timey bayonet flashlight bulb with no glass and a thick rugged filament.

It may be the wrong one is installed in your heater.

Cost is a couple bucks.

Well worth it for the speed and convenience of lighting.

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

ETA: Thinking of just dumping a gallon of it per 55gallon barrel. Or, do you mix as you use it? I may have to try it.
View Quote

50/50
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#21]
We have the clear ULS kerosene at the pump here and it sure seems to burn dirtier than last year.  I have to dry burn my wicks much sooner. Maybe thats why I am getting the large tar balls that turn to ash on the moonlighter wick so quickly?
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 4:32:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks RSQHobbs. There was old fuel in it, which the family I bought it from told me was about 10 years old. I checked the wick and it raised/lowered. I added batteries and the igniter works fine. I cleaned it inside and out and lit it, and it does run. I haven't tried to tip it while running yet, but will.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Centuryhouse, I would first make sure that the lowering / raising mechanism is working properly.

Good luck!

Glad you got it running!
You don't need to have it lit to test the tip-over safety, though.
You just have to have the wick raised.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 6:26:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
50/50
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

50/50
Dang, that dramatically raises the price per gallon of fuel!

Link Posted: 1/11/2014 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If the batteries are new, then pick up a new igniter on ebay or at the H-W store.

There are abt 4 types and take all of 15 seconds to replace. They look like an old timey bayonet flashlight bulb with no glass and a thick rugged filament.

It may be the wrong one is installed in your heater.

Cost is a couple bucks.

Well worth it for the speed and convenience of lighting.

View Quote

You may be right on all accounts, but I still may/may not buy a new igniter. I have a metric shit-ton of matches
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 7:01:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I just got my first kerosene heater (CTN-110) and have no experience with them, so this may be a dumb question but here goes.  Is there any gain in buying a gallon can of the clean 1K kerosene and mixing it with the kerosene from the pump?  The thinking being that it would make the pump kerosene burn a little cleaner.  If that is just wasting money, let me know.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

50/50

Sure does. I but all the Walmart 1K up on clearance at the end of the winter for around $5 a gallon.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I just got my first kerosene heater (CTN-110) and have no experience with them, so this may be a dumb question but here goes.  Is there any gain in buying a gallon can of the clean 1K kerosene and mixing it with the kerosene from the pump?  The thinking being that it would make the pump kerosene burn a little cleaner.  If that is just wasting money, let me know.
View Quote

I've been doing that for years. I buy it on clearance for next year
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
Other than some of us seem to be noticing a formula change in this year's batch of kero (which I'm sure will make its way into those pre-bottled jugs you get in the store), you aren't gaining much if anything.

I'm going to completely clean out my radiant heater, refill with fresh kero and start adding in batman's secret ingredient slowly. I'm going to see if even just a smaller percentage helps this new stuff burn cleaner. Don't know when I will get to it though, lots of irons in the fire.

If this is just an emergency item for you, and you only plan on having a few gallons of kero lying around, would be OK I guess to get the pre-bottled stuff. At least it comes with its own jug.

For reference: The Perfection has been burning the same on this new kero. Only the radiant catalytic models seem to be burning different for me.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top