User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I need someone to design a pi setup using one of those 4-inch touch screens and an tiny transceiver for an ultraportable JT65 kit.

The standard QSO style of jt65 would work well on a small touch screen.
View Quote

Yesterday, I also tried running JT65 on the Pi.
I downloaded the software to the Pi, but every time I try to run it, it crashes. The screen comes up for about 3-4 seconds, then it crashes.
A buddy of mine who actually knows what he is doing says that maybe it has to be compiled to run on the Pi. Since I don't even really know what that means, I will have to get help on that one.

I am reading a webpage right now about a guy using a Pi as a pan adapter with the KX3. There is no end of stuff to do in ham radio with a Pi.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I downloaded the software to the Pi, but every time I try to run it, it crashes. The screen comes up for about 3-4 seconds, then it crashes.

A buddy of mine who actually knows what he is doing says that maybe it has to be compiled to run on the Pi. Since I don't even really know what that means, I will have to get help on that one.

I am reading a webpage right now about a guy using a Pi as a pan adapter with the KX3. There is no end of stuff to do in ham radio with a Pi.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I need someone to design a pi setup using one of those 4-inch touch screens and an tiny transceiver for an ultraportable JT65 kit.

I look forward to updates.

I have seen those panadapters built with Pi. I suspect a talented person could rig one up to make use of a keyboard to allow one to more easily use digital modes on the kx3. I know the PX3 has a usb port, but I have not heard of any timeframe to allow keyboard entry. I wish I knew how to program. Instead of learning code, I learned Hebrew and Greek. Whoops.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Found some used LCD's at the local 2nd hand store. The collection included 17" lenovo  & dell going for $33 ea., 19" dell for $35.  Picked up the lenovo & 19" dell, both looked good so may go back for the 17" dell (getting rid of left over CRT plus something for the PI's)...

These (Arrela Mini 1080P HDMI To VGA Video Converter ) work well for allowing the HDMI output to drive vga :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KPXJW4W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
& are < $12 delivered w/Prime

Nick
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

try running it from a terminal

wsjtx

That should display some stuff. Post it here.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm considering one of the 2s to swap into my Pi-gameboy-NES emulator. But I'll have to desolder the audio/video connector and the extra USB connector. I'd rather use it for my SDR server, but that really doesn't need the CPU, it needs more bandwidth to my network.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

wsjtx

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wsjtx

It was very long, so I emailed it to you.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#7]
When it starts change the sound device to "pulseaudio". You are getting the alsa sampling rate errors I was talking about in another thread
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll play with running jt65 on one. Potentially it could be a good micro-station when combined with a softrock rxtx.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'll play with running jt65 on one. Potentially it could be a good micro-station when combined with a softrock rxtx.
View Quote
Perfect! How hard is the softrock to assemble? This seems like a really lightweight, efficient system for a nalgene sized qrp station. For the size/price, it would also make a reasonable WSPR beacon to leave running on solar power all the time.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When it starts change the sound device to "pulseaudio". You are getting the alsa sampling rate errors I was talking about in another thread
View Quote

Ok, trying to figure out how to do this. I never saw the original thread.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The version of Windows 10 that is planned for the pi is not a full blown version but one of the command line IoT (internet of things) builds. The pi2 will actually make usable for something other than a simple single task computer. There are some stirrings of making a slightly more costly version that has a separate lan controller and sata port to be able to build out a more complex system. Possibly in the $50-$75 range. I am perfectly happy with the offering of the pi2 and will more than likley end up replacing my pi's with pi2's. Or just retasking them to other projects like a dropbox server.

The big thing is that Broadcom is now embracing the pi system full force and we may start to see some more roubst chips and actually see some of the instructions that Broadcom does not release to the public. The pi2 processor is actually a custom build for them alone.
View Quote

I was about to say there is no way in hell MS is going to give out a Win10 Licence for $35.  People would buy them by the pallet just for the keys.  Figured there would be a big old string attached to it, and there is.

Anyway.  I have an original Pi.  Set it all up, dicked around on it for a couple hours, and never booted it since. Even then, when I saw this new model, I thought Hey, I should pick one up....again.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

when it starts up go into the settings and change the sound device to "pulseaudio"

If you don't have time because it crashes, delete the .wsjtx directory in your home folder so it erases the config. Worst case uninstall then reinstall it to get rid of any old settings.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

when it starts up go into the settings and change the sound device to "pulseaudio"

If you don't have time because it crashes, delete the .wsjtx directory in your home folder so it erases the config. Worst case uninstall then reinstall it to get rid of any old settings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DUH !!!

I was thinking you were talking about something in the operating system of the Pi.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#14]
You have officially cost me money

Pi 2 and NOIR camera ordered to play with poor man's night vision.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#15]
How does one down jt65 on the pi2?
sudo apt-get install wsjtx (?)
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:26:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How does one down jt65 on the pi2?
sudo apt-get install wsjtx (?)
View Quote

I think it's just sudo apt-get install WSJT

I could be wrong however. Try it, if it doesn't work, I was wrong.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#17]
apt-cache search wsjt

that'll tell you what the name of it is.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#18]
sudo apt-get install wstjx

Remember in *nix capitalization matters.

If you want to see all the ham radio packages type

sudo aptitude search ham radio
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:06:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Just got my pi 2 today. Once I get windows installed it will displace the B+ as my tinkering rig.

I also got a NoIR camera. One of the projects is a "poor man's" night vision rig for locating varmints.

The pi 2 will probably become part of my portable shack, if I can get it to run fldigi and some other useful stuff.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top