User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, I've always wanted a Ford NAA or something along those lines, but I've also not done enough research into tractors to know if that would actually jive with what I would want it to do.
View Quote
Not really.

The 3 point lift is 800 pounds. For perspective, my 316 garden tractor can lift about 650 pounds at the 3 point.

The hydraulic system is anemic in pump flow, but adequate in pressure. Both the PTO and hydraulic system are live, but the manual transmission will ENSURE that any loader skidsteer work will kind of suck. Transmission gearing is also kind of fast in first gear for precision loader skidsteer work.

However, the tractor will perform tractor chores good enough. I'm partial to hydrostatic for small equipment myself, and this particular transmission requires stopping fully to shift gears (no shifting on the fly like a a pickup truck).

But again, do you need a tractor for what you are going to do, or a skidsteer? What do you really plan on doing?
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#3]
OK, for looking for foreclosures, pointers from Mrs Rat:

There are a LOT of scam sites out there. Call the number, and if they want money or otherwise seem odd, drop it. The houses aren't really for sale. They are trying to get people to put money down before they see them, otherwise you would miss out on the property. ALL foreclosures WILL be sold through either a regular auction company OR a realtor. The realtor that sold our property was based out of the Twin Cities (very far from us) and handled foreclosures all over the place. They specialized in JUST foreclosures actually.

REMAX is a good site she says to keep an eye on, but they may not have all the pics/info.
Don't be afraid to leave your info at a realtor with a property your interested in. Sometimes things fall through and they know to call you. That is how we got our property!
They are foreclosed on for a reason, so check the place out VERY WELL in addition to a quality inspector (you will pay for this out of pocket, DO NOT USE the inspector the realtor has "lined up"). They may have been upside down on the mortgage and there are no real issues, but most folks with a brain would sell the property for cheap enough to make a quick sale and pay off the mortgage than have a foreclosure on their record, assuming the property was salable.

Most of them are sold "as is", which means you need to do some legwork and check out the septic compliance state, the well, any other permits, etc., in ADDITION to any structural issues.

Again, DO NOT TRUST the "inspection" from the realtor. Hire your own. Our property was sold dirt cheap because the realtor's inspector was worthless. Worked out good for us, but most of the time there will be "nothing of note" wrong, because they have a vested interest in making the sale and keeping their boss (the realtor) happy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#5]
And what is your tractor budget, if you don't mind me asking?

Everything except the garden screams skidsteer IMHO, and I would not use a full size field tractor in a garden myself. Too much compaction. Big tractor means big compaction which means deeper plowing, which means destroying the soil that much more, etc. I think a little bigger than my 316 like an older 420 (or newer equivalent) is a great size, providing your soil conditions accept that size. But I like as little of equipment in the garden as possible. Others have other opinions. And it all depends what you want to grow too, and how much ground clearance you need. A JD 2025 would be awesome. A JD 790 4x4 is on my bucket list
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Not trying to plug my own vids (I don't make money on my YT channel, its too small), but on my YouTube channel this year I will be rebuilding pretty much my entire operation since I destroyed it all from construction. You may get some ideas that you like, some ideas you don't like. Its all small acreage stuff. I'd think you would be surprised how much stuff I shove onto my property.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#8]
$5k would be a bit tight.

You could look for an older compact utility tractor that would sort of do it all. But like any multi-tool, it may not do everything well.

Whatever you do, you practically have to have a loader. I would say being able to lift 500-600 pounds MINIMUM is what you should aim for. You can take smaller bits of big projects, but still get stuff done. Smaller than that will take you so long to do so many things that. I don't want to say it would be worthless, but it would be at a frustratingly slow pace.

Also lift height. If you can't load/unload from the back of the pickup, its utility is dramatically lower.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is your driveway gravel?

Don't underestimate the cost of maintaining that thing.  "Lordy Mercy" as my grandmother would have said, gravel is not cheap, at least here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With 1500 feet of driveway, there's going to be a tractor in my future regardless (and it's a good excuse to buy a tractor)

I think you nailed what my current goal would be, with your "woods and three clear acres" assessment.  While I have a ton of interest, I don't have any background in farming and, though I'd love to have a half-section to myself, wouldn't know where to begin if I just jumped straight into large-scale farming.  Like I mentioned in an earlier post, the goal would be to obtain more acreage, but it seems to me that it would be smart to dip my toe into things before going whole-hog.  Being self-sufficient would be great, and might even be the long-term goal, but it wouldn't be an immediate reality even if I did have the available land.
Is your driveway gravel?

Don't underestimate the cost of maintaining that thing.  "Lordy Mercy" as my grandmother would have said, gravel is not cheap, at least here.
You can say that again. I'm almost $5k deep on just 600 ft of gravel/rip rap. Granted, I needed the rip rap to keep the driveway from washing out and that plus 85 tons of gravel have eliminated A LOT of my issues, but still...

15 tons of clean washed stone here is usually $500. I cut a deal with my last guy because I was buying so much. I'll probably use him again when I do the pad behind the barn, because that's another 80-100 tons.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Puck, there was a thread just recently where the tractor vs skidsteer issue was bandied about and beaten nearly to death.

It might be worth reading.

I fall on the side of tractor because I think you need not only FEL capabilities, but also regular backhoe and (more traditional tractor-style) tillage capabilities for the kind of lifestyle you are after.

But Rat has a lot to offer on the side of the skidsteer.

I think the skidsteer is more the tool of the larger farm Usually, in particular when the need to daily scoop manure and clean stalls/barns/feedlot areas is an issue, and I think Rat is good with them because that's his background.  (Sorry Rat_Patrol )
View Quote
Your not wrong.

I say it's best to have both, but we all have a budget.

The love of skidsteer is all about your knowledge of attachments

Plus, I've been running them since I was 10...
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Your not wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Puck, there was a thread just recently where the tractor vs skidsteer issue was bandied about and beaten nearly to death.

It might be worth reading.

I fall on the side of tractor because I think you need not only FEL capabilities, but also regular backhoe and (more traditional tractor-style) tillage capabilities for the kind of lifestyle you are after.

But Rat has a lot to offer on the side of the skidsteer.

I think the skidsteer is more the tool of the larger farm Usually, in particular when the need to daily scoop manure and clean stalls/barns/feedlot areas is an issue, and I think Rat is good with them because that's his background.  (Sorry Rat_Patrol )
Your not wrong.

This is arfcom, get both!
I have about $6k into the International 1086 with loader and snowblower and $500 for the Rounder skidsteer.

Link Posted: 3/24/2018 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I am by no means an expert on anything, but I pretty much agree with Rat Patrol on everything. If you get a tractor a bucket is necessary. I honestly don't know of any advantages a bucket less tractor has over a skid steer beyond PTO attachments. Also like he said, you want height to pick stuff up off the back of a pick up, and the ability to pick up several hundred pounds. At some point you'll probably be thankful your tractor is able to pick up that round bale or pallet of sweet feed or concrete off your truck.

Skid steers are definitely awesome, I haven't gotten to spend near as much time operating one as I'd like, but they're an awesome tool that I'll hopefully one day own.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Welp...

We found a place a bit north of the others we'd looked at.  2,000+ sq ft house, machine shed, BIG chicken coop, on 12 acres, mostly tillable.

Just submitted an offer this afternoon
View Quote
You don't have to answer, but is it the 5 bedroom old brick farmhouse that was beautifully remodeled?
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Unfortunately not, but I did see that (assuming we're thinking of the same one).  Bit out of our price range.
View Quote
Yeah, the one for 300k+.

It looked like a niiice setup.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah, I eyed that one, but I think they were asking almost $400k on it.
View Quote
320k iirc. House was beautiful, rest of the buildings were there, but need paint and general upkeep.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Welp...

We found a place a bit north of the others we'd looked at.  2,000+ sq ft house, machine shed, BIG chicken coop, on 12 acres, mostly tillable.

View Quote
Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Welp...

View Quote
Good luck!  Now you just need a tractor
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
And the search (or at least the wait) continues...

We offered about 92% of their asking price.  Their counter was asking price and they cover 50% of closing

With a massive snowstorm over the weekend and the fact that they've had a bunch of showings with no other offers, we said no and are biding our time to see if the place sells this week.  If not, we're going to touch base again next week and see if they're actually in a negotiating mood yet.

I'm ready to be done looking
View Quote
Playing devil's advocate: if you like the house, a few thousand is a piss in the river to loose it over.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 5:37:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Playing devil's advocate: if you like the house, a few thousand is a piss in the river to loose it over.
View Quote
Agree 100%
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't disagree at all, but we're already offering close to the maximum I'm willing to spend, and I'm not going to go above that right now.
View Quote
In that case, I support your decision. I’m a big advocate for living within your means.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, its a seller's market right now.

Too bad work is so hard to find up there, but St. Cloud and north to Canada you can get a LOT of hobby farm for relatively little money.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
one of which is on 45 acres
View Quote
color me jealous
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Does the property have a lot of work (construction/cleanup/landscaping) to do before its ready, or is it fairly turn-key?

Love my skidsteer, but if you have to choose one, painful as it is for me to say, almost has to be a compact tractor/loader. A skidsteer, essentially, is just a more efficient loader.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But for now the important question: tractor or skidsteer first
Yeah, that whole thing has been lurking in the back of my mind a while now
Does the property have a lot of work (construction/cleanup/landscaping) to do before its ready, or is it fairly turn-key?

Love my skidsteer, but if you have to choose one, painful as it is for me to say, almost has to be a compact tractor/loader. A skidsteer, essentially, is just a more efficient loader.
I love the bobcat we have on our farm, but for general work, a tractor with loader is far and away better. It can lift many times the weight of general dirt and debris, and can handle uneven ground better. In addition, if you ever decide to cultivate or mow your land, a skidsteer is worthless.

Not to mention how much faster tractors are.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That is very subjective. It all depends on what kind of skidsteer you have and what tractor/loader you are comparing it with.

When our house was moved in, they had a tracked skidsteer out here that could lift 8k pounds!!!!! It was no bigger (physically) than our New Holland at the farm that can lift about 4500 pounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love the bobcat we have on our farm, but for general work, a tractor with loader is far and away better. It can lift many times the weight of general dirt and debris, and can handle uneven ground better. In addition, if you ever decide to cultivate or mow your land, a skidsteer is worthless.

Not to mention how much faster tractors are.
That is very subjective. It all depends on what kind of skidsteer you have and what tractor/loader you are comparing it with.

When our house was moved in, they had a tracked skidsteer out here that could lift 8k pounds!!!!! It was no bigger (physically) than our New Holland at the farm that can lift about 4500 pounds.
Oh don't get me wrong, on concrete, with well distributed weight on a pallet, nothing will beat a bobcat for pure vertical lift. But if you need to dig into a pile, or dump into anything higher than about 8 feet, or if you're on unsteady ground, you lose a lot of utility very quickly.

Like I said, I Love our Bobcat with a capital L. But it has substantial limitations.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:51:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top