Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If I drove a diesel I definitely would have gone with a diesel genny for my needs based solely on fuel storage is safer with diesel. But if I store enough fuel a few days before a hurricane for 1 weeks worth of power and it comes back 3 days in I can use the rest of the gas in my car. I have been thinking about getting a in ground Lp tank put in just to store gas and put a conversion on my genny. There is no gas line service available for me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I drove a diesel I definitely would have gone with a diesel genny for my needs based solely on fuel storage is safer with diesel. But if I store enough fuel a few days before a hurricane for 1 weeks worth of power and it comes back 3 days in I can use the rest of the gas in my car. I have been thinking about getting a in ground Lp tank put in just to store gas and put a conversion on my genny. There is no gas line service available for me.
View Quote
I guess one big question is, if power is out for a prolonged period, how long will NG line service be good?  I'd assume they have backups of backups, but just curious.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to prepare for what's most likely to happen. I understand anything and everything can happen but when you say "prolonged" I just have to say it is impossible to store enough for "prolonged". For example to run my gas genny for my expected load its 7gals per 24hrs. Aside from the space needed it is a massive safety risk to store even a few days worth of fuel.

I have not seen NG line service ever be interrupted in FL from a hurricane. The lines are underground thus not damaged. It is actually advertised here for its ability to cook and have hot showers during power outages. Gas service in central and south Florida is limited because the electric company's have this state bent over a barrel. For example they have charged customers for decades for the cost of storm proofing the system yet they haven't done so yet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#5]
That's oven, dryer and water heater are going to burn fuel like a mofo. Anything 220.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#6]
You can purchase a huge generator that consumes a great deal of gas or you can get a small window AC unit to cool a small portion of the house which can run on a smaller generator.  This is the strategy that many Floridians use as a hurricane preparedness measure.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#7]
In Florida our strategy is not to run the central AC with a generator unless you have considerable disposable income.  Instead get a window AC unit to cool one or two rooms of your house using the generator and it takes much less energy to run.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top