User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#1]
This thread needs more pics!

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Isnt paranoia exciting I'm dangerously low compared to some of you. Only a few bricks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2024/cimg0189h.jpg

Looks like I need to stock more 22
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#4]
That's what, 55-60k rounds?  Nice stash.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone know how many Federal Bulk packs will fit in a fat 50/saw can?

No, but I do know how many will fit in a 30 cal can. it's 6 Federal bulk packs (3300 rounds) Loose of course. I have four 30 cal cans full of Federal.

I did the above. and the 6 packs fight BARELY.

I wouldn't want to try to fill a fat 50cal can full, you'd get a hernia trying to lift and move it around.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 4:54:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

that's ok, but I've got more than ONE .22 rifle and pistol...
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's what, 55-60k rounds?  Nice stash.

Looks to me like a hair less than 53k. You probably buy some on each trip to WM like I do
Nice start. All good quality stuff too
You need to add some Stingers,  Colibri and maybe some subsonic Dynamit.
I keep all of mine in standard 50's to keep the weight down. Try not to stack over 6 or 7 high. It always seems that what I want is in the bottom can.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#8]
My goal is to spend until my joists start creaking.

Then use the money I was spending on ammo to buy lumber to reinforce the joists.

Then when the joists are reinforced, buy ammo until...

You get the idea.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are all the CCI minimags? Like to find a place where I could buy them in bulk.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but I do know how many will fit in a 30 cal can. it's 6 Federal bulk packs (3300 rounds) Loose of course. I have four 30 cal cans full of Federal.

I wouldn't want to try to fill a fat 50cal can full, you'd get a hernia trying to lift and move it around.

A 50 cal can will take 12 - 375 bulk packs (4500 rounds) and the can looks to be made for these to fit.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 4:26:57 AM EDT
[#11]
more is better

I don't know how many I have

but the ammo cans are heavy
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 4:48:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I have something around 6k to 7k. I need to get out and buy some more before they run out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 4:20:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Im not going to post they QTY of 22 i have cause your just going to laugh at me but im working on it. now that we know how much some of you have. what type(s) of 22 and why?
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:23:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Im not going to post they QTY of 22 i have cause your just going to laugh at me but im working on it. now that we know how much some of you have. what type(s) of 22 and why?

long skinny ones with a sort of blob on the ends.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Looks like a good start Grasshopper...

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I think the winning answer is...If you have to ask if you have enough...you don't.

Peace,

Dean
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Someone asked about buying mini mags in bulk.  I have seen one distributor offer them and that was a couple years ago I think.  The price with shipping was almost exactly what my walmart charges me to buy them so I never ordered the big case of mini mags because I just buy some mini mags every paycheck or so.

I have to see a nice price break if I am going to buy that many at once at that sort of price.

As far as sorts of 22lr, part of it depends on what your 22s like to eat.  The huge 22lr site talks about how each 22lr has its own quirks and might shoot an ammo your other 22lr stuff will choke on.

So I stock a lot of oddball stuff for when I buy a new 22lr firearm and want to see what it eats.

Right now I stock cci stuff mostly.

I have mini mags galore and a lot of cb shorts and longs as well.  Lately I don't think I have seen the cb longs at wally world but I never checked to see if they are out there on the net.

My 22lr rifle of choice handles shorts just fine but some don't and the long will generally work in anything that handles long rifle length brass.  Yeah, there are different lengths of 22 rimfire ammo so figure out what works and go from there.

I personally felt the cb long stuff was a bit quieter than cb shorts but not enough for me to care yet.

I do have a bunch of bulk packs and what not but I got tired of all the duds and various loads of powder in them.

I no longer do much plinking where I am just using up ammo.  When I go plinking these days I work on accuracy as much as I can for that day and its weather and my mood and that means a dud or low powered round annoys me.

I can see having bulk packs for those who have kids or who are getting new shooters out there to go shooting but lately I have been living at work and sleeping at home and not shooting very much at all.

I have been very very very happy with the qaulity control of my cci stuff.  It is expensive compared to bulk packs but when shooting at a varmint or something I know what it will do.

This year I plan to just lay in a couple cases of the wolf 22lr stuff.  It is well respected and works in most 22lr firearms and while it is not as cheap as bulk packs it has the quality control I want and I want to mess with some of it.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have 2 Remington 597's (one grey stock & blued), one green stock & stainless), two CZ 452's (one is a Military Trainer, and one's an American), and a Buckmark w/ a PacLite barrel.

As to why, here's my list of reasons:

-They were cheap, for what they are
-They're accurate. The CZ's are scary accurate with Wolf MT.
-They're not Rugers. Fuck Ruger.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I am a 22lr whore......I know I have a problem....I just don't want to do anything about it....

I have sold 1 22 rifle in my life.....never again....

I have MKIs, MKIIs, MKIIIs, 10/22, marlins, springfields, s&ws, colts, brownings, rossies,nea, remingtons, volquartson, and a few more that aren't coming to mind.

I keep a couple rounds for each.....back when the fed 550ct boxes were $7.77 at wally world.....I bought 2 a week for almost 1.5 years.

I still pick up the occasional box.....just to get a fix....
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#20]
No less than 10k.

From Nov 08 to Aug 09, our walmart had almost no ammo, one time I went in and they had a dozen boxes of 12ga , 3-4 50rd boxes of .17hmr and a couple 50rd packs of .22 for $4/box.

Gunshows were wanting $30-$40 per box of 22 and some were getting it.

You can NEVER have enough 22, thankfully i have more now than ever. I have around 1k of specialty 22 ammo (shorts , wolf MT and EM , ely , colibri, cb , ceebees and the like) This excludes my bulk pack.

One 550rd box a month would be 6600rd/year , and ANYONE can do that.

Don't forget mags! It wasn't too long ago that 10/22 mags were running over $75 for a 50rd.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Hard to say how much is enough.  Really depends on how much you shoot and how much you feel comfortable storing away for later use.  Just buy a box or two whenever you hit your local Wally World and stop buying it when you fill your safe.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a stupid question for you all.  What are the better quality .22 ammo out there and what should you avoid?  I have bought CCI 40 grain solid tip as that's what Walther recommends for my P22.  The reason I ask is that various weapon reviews say to avoid crap ammo as certain weapons will repeatedly jam, ect.....  I plan on picking up a 10/22 and a CMMG .22 upper here in the near future for my kids.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I currently have 16 Ruger 10/22's in various configurations. I have literally dozens of other .22 rifles, levers, bolts, pumps, autos, "tactical" etc.....You name it and I own it or have owned it at one time or another in .22lr.

I do about 80% of my shooting with .22's-and I shoot a hell of alot. It just so much easier to find a place to shoot, so much cheaper, no reloading or picking up brass etc.....You get about 90% of the experience with a .22 that you do with a center fire. Trigger control, sight alignment and manipulation skills are the same if you're doing it right, the only thing you don't get is the noise and recoil.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a stupid question for you all. What are the better quality .22 ammo out there and what should you avoid? I have bought CCI 40 grain solid tip as that's what Walther recommends for my P22. The reason I ask is that various weapon reviews say to avoid crap ammo as certain weapons will repeatedly jam, ect..... I plan on picking up a 10/22 and a CMMG .22 upper here in the near future for my kids.

In my experience Remington .22 ammo is shit. I hate to say it as I shoot a bunch of the UMC 9mm and .45, Core Lokt hunting ammo etc....and it is all great but their rimfire ammo across the board is dog shit. It's dirty and has the highest rates of duds of any rimfire ammo that I am aware of. Velocity variation is about on a par with alot of bulk ammo so I can't ding them there but the other two factors make it no go for me.

CCI Mini Mags is the "gold standard" of plinking ammo, it's much more expensive than the typical "bulk" ammo but I have never found a gun that wouldn't cycle it that didn't have other serious problems.

For inexpensive plinking ammo I really like the Federal 510 load, 40 grain, lead, Walmart $1.47/50. Clean burning, cycles well and accurate enough. If you can't find it my next favorite is a toss up between the Winchester 333/555 and the Federal 550 Bulk pack.

I have gotten a few bad Federals lately, this used to be my go to ammo but it's gone up in cost and not as good as it used to be. The Winchester is made in their new plant and though there have been a few problems reported, I personally have not seen any that was bad. It is VERY accurate in most guns for "bulk" type ammo. I have a couple of guns that don't like to feed it though.....- I think it's the shape of the bullet, not a QC thing etc...

CCI Blazers or Federal American Eagle (same round, different packages) are good ammo, clean shooting, accurate and reliable. The Federal Automatch is also good stuff though a little more money.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a stupid question for you all. What are the better quality .22 ammo out there and what should you avoid? I have bought CCI 40 grain solid tip as that's what Walther recommends for my P22. The reason I ask is that various weapon reviews say to avoid crap ammo as certain weapons will repeatedly jam, ect..... I plan on picking up a 10/22 and a CMMG .22 upper here in the near future for my kids.

In my experience Remington .22 ammo is shit. I hate to say it as I shoot a bunch of the UMC 9mm and .45, Core Lokt hunting ammo etc....and it is all great but their rimfire ammo across the board is dog shit. It's dirty and has the highest rates of duds of any rimfire ammo that I am aware of. Velocity variation is about on a par with alot of bulk ammo so I can't ding them there but the other two factors make it no go for me.

CCI Mini Mags is the "gold standard" of plinking ammo, it's much more expensive than the typical "bulk" ammo but I have never found a gun that wouldn't cycle it that didn't have other serious problems.

For inexpensive plinking ammo I really like the Federal 510 load, 40 grain, lead, Walmart $1.47/50. Clean burning, cycles well and accurate enough. If you can't find it my next favorite is a toss up between the Winchester 333/555 and the Federal 550 Bulk pack.

I have gotten a few bad Federals lately, this used to be my go to ammo but it's gone up in cost and not as good as it used to be. The Winchester is made in their new plant and though there have been a few problems reported, I personally have not seen any that was bad. It is VERY accurate in most guns for "bulk" type ammo. I have a couple of guns that don't like to feed it though.....- I think it's the shape of the bullet, not a QC thing etc...

CCI Blazers or Federal American Eagle (same round, different packages) are good ammo, clean shooting, accurate and reliable. The Federal Automatch is also good stuff though a little more money.

Highlighted areas reflect my experiences as well. The fed bulk 550 packs have been inconsistent for me lately, but are still light years ahead of Remington. The only Remington rimfire ammo I buy is the Subsonics and that is only if I can't find CCI Standard Velocity.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Highlighted areas reflect my experiences as well. The fed bulk 550 packs have been inconsistent for me lately, but are still light years ahead of Remington. The only Remington rimfire ammo I buy is the Subsonics and that is only if I can't find CCI Standard Velocity.

I have to agree with the above commentary.  I've found most of my .22's eat Winchester Dynapoints as consistently as anything else I've put through them.  Though compared to some of you, I'm still just a rookie with only about 27K of the Dynapoint and another 2-3K of other misc.  Another plus for the Dynapoint has been, it's stayed subsonic out of everything!!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 7:31:57 AM EDT
[#27]
some for trading.  some for shooting very quetly.  some for reaching out there and hitting rabbits/squirrels a distance away.  some for training new shooters.  some for stashing at rally points 1 and 2.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

16 550 bulk packs fit into a SAW can.  It does suck having to move it, if only off the lower shelf to get to a can behind it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#29]
The 30 cans are much easier to handle for any that is going to get moved. For my stash that doesn't get touched I use the 40mm can I believe it is. Latch on both sides its approximately 10"wide x 18"tall x 18" deep. It holds north of 25k
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Enough discussion.....  whens the group buy.  I'm good for 25,000 rounds if the price is right.  Maybe more
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 5:07:03 AM EDT
[#31]
you really cannot have too much. hunting/ practice/bartering/ hedge against prices rising. i have about 11000 rounds right now. fed bulk keeps going up. im going to keep buying it. 50,000 rounds of .22lr, is where i think i will stop buying the bulk packs. ill buy a bulk pack for everyday use, and replace as needed, and save the 50k for future use. i think its actually overkill bigtime, but its reasonably cheap ammo, so why not.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 5:08:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know about a Fat .50 but in a standard .50 can I get 5,500 of Federal 550 ammo with 6 remaining in their boxes and the other 4 boxes poured into a gallon Ziploc bag, 3 boxes will fit into the Ziploc bag between the Federal 550 boxes and the side of the can and the 4th box overlaps the the top of the 6 boxes.  I don't know how much more will fit in a Fat .50 can but my cans with 5,500 rounds are plenty heavy already.  I have a comfortable amount of .50 cans of the Federal 550 with their lot #'s annotated on the outside of the cans for extended storage and identification, but for plinking I have .30 cans with loose Federal 550 as it's much easier to carry back and forth when going to the range.

Hmmm, this can SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the number of ammo cans I have full.
As stated above you can only get 6 Fed 550's in .50 cal can. I never really wanted to open a box unless I am using it.
This sounds like a good compromise to save space.
Big drawback is the weight of each can will increase by 66%

i store mine in a fat 50 can. i think 14 bulk packs will fit in one.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Is there a good place to purchase the CCI in the 100rd trays. I have just recently got my silencer and it seems that I am going through them like water (fyi I am using the standard velocity stuff) ! I need more .22!
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there a good place to purchase the CCI in the 100rd trays. I have just recently got my silencer and it seems that I am going through them like water (fyi I am using the standard velocity stuff) ! I need more .22!

Walmart in my area has it in the 100 round boxes.  Used to be able to buy it by the case (5,000 rounds) online but can't seem to find them in stock anywhere anymore
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Walmart in my area has it in the 100 round boxes.  Used to be able to buy it by the case (5,000 rounds) online but can't seem to find them in stock anywhere anymore

I have seen it in several places Midwayusa.com for example. Usually costs about $300ish +shipping
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Wal-Marts out here carry the Mini-mags but not the standard velocity stuff. I will check with Midway. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I have no idea about SHTF/EOTWAWKI, that's not really on my radar, but I will never have enough 22LR.  If I had a closet packed floor to ceiling with bricks of 22LR I'd probably still bring a brick or two home from Wal-Mart just in case I need it someday....
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#38]
A regular .50 cal can will hold 6,600 rounds loose comfortably. It looks all nice and shinny like a box of treasure. My wife said last night: "Wouldn't it be cool if we could fill our bedroom with ammo?" She rocks.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My wife said last night: "Wouldn't it be cool if we could fill our bedroom with ammo?" She rocks.

She is definitely a keeper.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife said last night: "Wouldn't it be cool if we could fill our bedroom with ammo?" She rocks.

Then ask her if she would sell that ring on her finger to fund it!!! Then you will really know if she rocks!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Keep some ready to go as well...long happy history with 50 round Ramline 10/22 mags.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#42]
If you can carry it all at once, even with the aid of a hand-truck, you need more.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:46:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS! Mine just told me to stop filling the closet since she has less room for more clothes. WTF. I thought she would have learned after being stuck in a blizzard on the side of the freeway 3 years back for about 8 hours, right after she was all on board, but slipped under and is now the antiprep. I look at her and said... okay, when is this practical... its one of about 20 evening dresses, which then I get an ear full about since they can not "hang" and the bottoms rest on ammo can. Then I point out she has clothes in 4 closets. She comes back with.. you have ammo in that many closets, plus under the bed, then goes on about food storage? Dunno, I agree more and more everyday with an old guy I work with. They may just be wired wrong! (But dont tell them ) You are luck y my friend!

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#44]
My wife is into ammo, and clothes, and shoes too...and I am in total agreement with her. Gotta have "quality of life" preps as well...

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS! Mine just told me to stop filling the closet since she has less room for more clothes. WTF. I thought she would have learned after being stuck in a blizzard on the side of the freeway 3 years back for about 8 hours, right after she was all on board, but slipped under and is now the antiprep. I look at her and said... okay, when is this practical... its one of about 20 evening dresses, which then I get an ear full about since they can not "hang" and the bottoms rest on ammo can. Then I point out she has clothes in 4 closets. She comes back with.. you have ammo in that many closets, plus under the bed, then goes on about food storage? Dunno, I agree more and more everyday with an old guy I work with. They may just be wired wrong! (But dont tell them ) You are luck y my friend!

Well I don't put any in 'her' closet. Yeah she has allot of clothes, and shoes, don't get me going on the shoes, only 1 practical pair of sneakers the rest are worthless. But she doesn't give me crap about buying guns or ammo, hell she's bought me most of my stuff anyway. She does complain about food storage once and awhile, but that is only when it is in her way. Most of the time she is pretty cool. She grew up homeless in Seoul from 5-10 so she knows what it is like to be hungry. Believe me we have our issues like any other couple, but on the whole she is on board.

She has been getting into shooting more lately. She is on a quest to own more guns than me, and is using the expedient method of confiscating my guns to do so..... She hasn't figured out that guns seem to reproduce on their own in the safe though, so we're good . Mostly she just gets pissed at preps if she is pissed at me about something, any other time she is cool with it as long as the bills are paid.

However I don't invade her space with my stuff. I have a gun closet that is mine, and I give her holy hell if she tries to store ANYTHING in it that is not mine/gun related. I don't try to use her space either. She doesn't have clothes in 4 closets though, just her big walk in.

She never thinks about preparedness on her own though. They are definitely NOT wired the same. That is for sure.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top