BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My problem with ham is, that I have no one to talk to who would give a shit if I were in trouble.  Unless you have someone on the other end who will help, what good is it?

http://www.eham.net/articles/20777

author of that article is an ARFCOM'er (if you could not guess from the callsign...).

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I've been considering getting involved in HAM radio operation, how important do you consider it as a prep?

Shelter, water, food are more important.

Not having options sucks.  

Amateur radio is just another option –– a tool in the toolbox.  But having the tool doesn't equal knowing what to to with it.  You'll get out of it as much or more than you put into it, from an effort standpoint.

There's millions of hams out there to talk to, you don't need to know them first –– if you call they'll respond.  

There's a bunch of hams here.

My $.02,

-Slice

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:21:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, I ran out and got my General license (only studied for tech, but they encouraged me to go ahead and try for Gen and Extra, woulda gotten Extra if I had studied it, only missed by 2 questions).

I still have yet to operate a radio, and i've had my license for about 3 years.

My problem with ham is, that I have no one to talk to who would give a shit if I were in trouble.  Unless you have someone on the other end who will help, what good is it?

here the local ham community has been ungodly supported of those affected by the storms. local clubs have not only been helping with interagency coms but assisiting with coordinating supplies and civillian efforts. They have been getting water and power to locations that people otherwise wouldn't have known about.

i likely key up my radio 2-3 times a year. apparently that is pretty normal here. the local net reported a metric ton of call signs checking in they never knew were here.

Unable to find any of the nets re-broadcast on sites like Radio Reference-are you aware of any?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#6]
SATERN net info here:  http://www.satern.org/net.html
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top