[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what he said up there
View Quote
Yup exactly.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't have any Wouxun radios, but I do have a BaoFeng hand talkie.  

I use the Chinese radios as disposable.   You really can't beat the BaoFeng hand talkies for 29 bucks on Amazon.  Besides lacking a good instruction manual, mine has done very well.   They are definitely higher quality than alot more expensive GRMS or FRS radios that I have purchased.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do I want to program my FT60 by hand and 100 channels from the keypad. No.. I'll use software for that thank you. But I can dial up just about anything I need to configure in the field with nothing else when needed.
View Quote

I actually did that recently (was traveling in a state where the 2m band is laid out differently and hadn't brought my computer along).  
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I can program a repeater in my wouxun or baofeng with the key pad...  Would I want to do 100? No...  But then again I like my channels layed out in a certain fashion so my OCD channel organization can only be realistically accomplished by software any ways...  No matter the rig
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Every public service event I've worked since these things have come out has had one or two people show up with them and cannot program the event frequencies and tones in them. They get sent packing.
View Quote

that's a usability and training issue, not a quality one.  I show up with a Baofeng HT.  I've practiced programming it by hand.  I have a spare Baofeng.  for $30 each, I carry multiples.  If the first dies, then the second has a spare battery pack (from the first).
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

that's a usability and training issue, not a quality one.  I show up with a Baofeng HT.  I've practiced programming it by hand.  I have a spare Baofeng.  for $30 each, I carry multiples.  If the first dies, then the second has a spare battery pack (from the first).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Every public service event I've worked since these things have come out has had one or two people show up with them and cannot program the event frequencies and tones in them. They get sent packing.

I think it speaks more to the complexity of front panel programming. At events there are usually hams that are familiar with Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom, etc that can assist. With the current crop of Chicom radios, there is usually no one that knows how.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 4:07:59 AM EDT
[#7]
maybe or maybe not.......

the Hamfest I've been to in the last few years have been mobbed with Hams toting their Wouxun and Baofeng radios proudly on their waist or fanny-packs....

early on, it was a good 'feeling' knowing that I wasn't the only one who had a Chi-com radio.  They are terribly popular, at least in the Upstate of SC.....

In our local club there are the haters as well, but it seems the majority have and use them on a regular basis.

Personal Preference........
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 5:35:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I hope you're not calling me a hater. That I'm not.
As I stated previously,there will always be a place for the low end. It forces the high end to not get complacent and build even better products.
I'm not one to judge what one uses, just make sure whatever it is, prepare to understand and be able to use it to it's fullest extent.
Those radios have got a lot of new hams into the hobby.

Personal preference is that I buy once, cry once.
I tend to always buy the upper end of whatever I buy, whether it be radios, guns, cars etc.
I'm not a snob, but like proven products that I can rely on.

Link Posted: 1/13/2014 6:05:42 AM EDT
[#9]
nah, more of a generalized statement...

It woulda been quite a stretch for me (and I assume others) to lay down the funds for one of the higher cost options when I was getting my feet wet.

If I had my 'choice'; I'd have that little Kenwood Tir-bander with the wide RX....but I'm feeding 5 kids, so my 3yr old Wouxun fills in for now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 7:09:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It woulda been quite a stretch for me (and I assume others) to lay down the funds for one of the higher cost options when I was getting my feet wet.

If I had my 'choice'; I'd have that little Kenwood Tir-bander with the wide RX....but I'm feeding 5 kids, so my 3yr old Wouxun fills in for now.
View Quote

Agree.

There are several "tactical upper end" radios I would love to have, but I can't afford them...  There is also a lot of other "tactical upper end" gear I would love to have but yea, you guessed it, I can't afford it...  

Link Posted: 1/13/2014 7:59:16 AM EDT
[#11]
ditto.....I'm just enjoying the plethora of choices to fill any niche we may have...it's gotta work in favor of growing the hobby!
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I understand, been there done that.
I'm in a position later in my career with no kids at home. I 've got three through college and one still in.
I have a bit of money for hobbies now.
Not so much when I was younger with kids at home.

I got my ticket somewhere in the mid 80's and there weren't many low cost radios available. Alinco was considered the low end then.
As far as a first ham radio, I started with a used Yaesu FT-23R HT which I still use today. It is in APRS service right now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
ditto.....I'm just enjoying the plethora of choices to fill any niche we may have...it's gotta work in favor of growing the hobby!
View Quote

Yep, and that's also where the low cost HF radios are going to help as well.  
Ain't nobody rational expecting a HF-One MKII to replace your $5000 Binford DX-6000 with quad tuners and Mr Fusion power interface.
But for someone looking for an under $400 HF radio that:
-doesn't require knowing/using morse code
-doesn't require knowing how to buy/fix a used radio
-doesn't require forgoing half or more of the HF bands
-allows you to choose a new radio that you may be able to get parts for over an old radio that you may be able to get parts for.

at this time I'm seeing a market opportunity.  
If the barriers to enter that market are too high for American or even Japanese manufacturers then no one should be surprised when someone else tries to fill it.
Does anyone know of a Taiwan manufacturer trying to enter this market?  I'd like that alternative over mainland manufacturers.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ain't nobody rational expecting a HF-One MKII to replace your $5000 Binford DX-6000 with quad tuners and Mr Fusion power interface.
-allows you to choose a new radio that you may be able to get parts for over an old radio that you may be able to get parts for.

If the barriers to enter that market are too high for American or even Japanese manufacturers then no one should be surprised when someone else tries to fill it.
Does anyone know of a Taiwan manufacturer trying to enter this market?  I'd like that alternative over mainland manufacturers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully sooner then later to!
HF is expensive!  (I have an Alinco)
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a Icom 718 I barely turn on. I'm never home, feel that HF only radio's aren't practical for mobile application and don't need a all band mobile setup (I have Part 90 applications so I don't need stuff that isn't certified above 136 MHz (not to mention there is the fact you can't program button functions on a ham radio like you can commercial radios). And I also play on stuff above the 70 cm band so I have to have yet another radio for that...or 3. I see nothing wrong with a QRP, true mobile (shit, the MKII is very close to the size of a Icom F221) that I can actually find a place to mount and justify pulling the trigger on.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#16]
As a guy who's very new to ham but very experienced in firearms. It seems like wouxon is the hi point of the ham world and baofeng is the Taurus of the ham world. Relatively speaking
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As a guy who's very new to ham but very experienced in firearms. It seems like wouxon is the hi point of the ham world and baofeng is the Taurus of the ham world. Relatively speaking
View Quote

reverse the above and you're dead on :)

welcome in btw

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#18]
...and Baojie is the Bryco-Jennings...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top