User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 3:57:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Simple explanation, lost on many here:

They don't WANT to have to 'survive' - they want things the way they are now, and don't care what has to be done, or what they must give up to keep it that way...

For many people in the US, 'surviving' is not worth it, if they have to 'live a life worse than hell' (eg, live a 3rd-world existence) to do so...

As a direct contrast to those here who think life in anarchy/chaos would be great, and they could finally be 'left alone'....

While the 'me & my family' attitude is understandable on the part of the married folks who literally do live for their family...

For the single population, many will say 'what's the point'?

I'm single and I know what the point is. I understand your point though. My ex-wife was bad about that. We lived 90 miles of dirtroad from the nearest store and she STILL couldn't understand. When we moved closer to town, she finally declared that even if S did HTF, her "real" family wouldn't survive and that meant she wouldn't want to survive either.

Of course, this is the same ex-wife that considered going to her mom's more important than spending XMas with her husband, so.....

Link Posted: 11/21/2009 6:19:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Almost sounds familiar.

I feel your pain.

StagPower

Quoted:
Quoted:
Simple explanation, lost on many here:

They don't WANT to have to 'survive' - they want things the way they are now, and don't care what has to be done, or what they must give up to keep it that way...

For many people in the US, 'surviving' is not worth it, if they have to 'live a life worse than hell' (eg, live a 3rd-world existence) to do so...

As a direct contrast to those here who think life in anarchy/chaos would be great, and they could finally be 'left alone'....

While the 'me & my family' attitude is understandable on the part of the married folks who literally do live for their family...

For the single population, many will say 'what's the point'?

I'm single and I know what the point is. I understand your point though. My ex-wife was bad about that. We lived 90 miles of dirtroad from the nearest store and she STILL couldn't understand. When we moved closer to town, she finally declared that even if S did HTF, her "real" family wouldn't survive and that meant she wouldn't want to survive either.

Of course, this is the same ex-wife that considered going to her mom's more important than spending XMas with her husband, so.....

Link Posted: 11/21/2009 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What scares me are, the ddruggies looking for their next fix, the gangs who will be totally uncontrollale and out in force without fear of LEO's, and the welfare receiptants who have not, do not know how to work will suddenly be without food, heat, etc and they to will be adding to the chaos, all they know are handouts, take those away and what do you have?

ETA, I remember, my dad telling me that durning the great depression, they had starving people trying to steal food (livestock and from the garden), and some trying to break in and get anything they could.  This in itself is expected, ut these were people from Seattle (and Seattle area) and we live in in Cenrtal/Eastern Washington, a good 3 hours by car now, or about 200 miles.  These people just kept fanning out, to travel that far has made me rethink my whole plan as now it take what 3 hours to get her and what a week back then?

This problem could be easily settled.  Those who understand what needs to be done will join together and rid themselves of this problem.  It could be done now if the populace weren't so docile.  There is no gang that could stand up to a group of citizens with the ability to "take care of business" without reprisals from the government.

-KW
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe people do know how bad things are.Pathetically, they are waiting for the cavalry to arrive.As it slowwwly begins to dawn on them that no one is coming to help us the situation will deteriorate even faster.This will lead the current regime to even more radical "fixes" and, as it becomes more desperate, crackdowns on anyone who questions or opposes it.It's hard to see  anything positive coming out of this situation.For the first time in my life, I fear what is going to happen in this country.
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#5]
And while we are trying to survive what do you think the Chinese will be doing?  Our only hope will be someone from the military to do what Cesar did and restore the Republic.
Cesar's mistake was not throwing the senate to the lions when he had the chance.
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 4:36:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And while we are trying to survive what do you think the Chinese will be doing?  Our only hope will be someone from the military to do what Cesar did and restore the Republic.
Cesar's mistake was not throwing the senate to the lions when he had the chance.

Anyway to get the House thrown in there also? I mean since the lions need to eat anyway
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 1:26:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I believe it was Caesar that actually KILLED the republic...
From Wiki:
Gaius Julius Caesar[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Caesar#cite_note-name-0][1][/url] (pronounced [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IPA][ˈɡaː.i.us ˈjuːli.us ˈkaɪsar][/url] in Classical Latin; conventionally /ˈɡaɪ.əs ˈdʒuːli.əs ˈsiːzər/ in English), (13 July 100 BC[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Caesar#cite_note-1][2][/url] – 15 March 44 BC[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Caesar#cite_note-2][3][/url]), was a Roman military and political leader. He played a critical role in the transformation of the Roman Republic into the Roman Empire.

As a politician, Caesar made use of popularist tactics. During the late 60s and into the 50s BC, he formed political alliances that led to the so-called "First Triumvirate," an extra-legal arrangement with Marcus Licinius Crassus and Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus ("Pompey the Great") that was to dominate Roman politics for several years. Their factional attempts to amass power for themselves were opposed within the Roman Senate by the optimates, among them Marcus Porcius Cato and Marcus Calpurnius Bibulus, with the sometime support of Marcus Tullius Cicero. Caesar's conquest of Gaul extended the Roman world to the North Sea, and in 55 BC he also conducted the first Roman invasion of Britain. These achievements granted him unmatched military power and threatened to eclipse Pompey's, while the death of Crassus
contributed to increasing political tensions between the two triumviral
survivors. Political realignments in Rome finally led to a stand-off
between Caesar and Pompey, the latter having taken up the cause of the
Senate. With the order that sent his legions across the Rubicon, Caesar began a civil war in 49 BC from which he emerged as the unrivaled leader of the Roman world.

After assuming control of government, he began extensive reforms of
Roman society and government. He heavily centralised the bureaucracy of
the Republic and was eventually proclaimed "dictator in perpetuity" (dictator perpetuo). A group of senators, led by Marcus Junius Brutus, assassinated the dictator on the Ides of March (15 March) 44 BC, hoping to restore the normal running of the Republic. However, the result was another Roman civil war, which ultimately led to the establishment of a permanent autocracy by Caesar's adopted heir, Gaius Octavianus. In 42 BC, two years after his assassination, the Senate officially sanctified Caesar as one of the Roman deities.

Much of Caesar's life is known from his own Commentaries (Commentarii) on his military campaigns, and other contemporary sources such as the letters and speeches of his political rival Cicero, the historical writings of Sallust, and the poetry of Catullus. Many more details of his life are recorded by later historians, such as Appian, Suetonius, Plutarch, Cassius Dio and Strabo.

Link Posted: 11/24/2009 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Its an odd generation gap that currently exists.  You have the "old and mighty" in congress who grew up being hippies and listening to disco.  This generation was a carefree generation who grew up during Vietnam and thus were taught to love everyone and all will be well.  I grew up in the 80's and was too young to be a yuppy.  However, I was old enough to grow through elementary school and not have a color tv or a computer.  My brother always had a computer in school and by the time he entered kindergarten, there was a unified Germany.

I have a unique perspective in things as my parents were divorced and I lived with my father while my brother lived with my mother.  My father grew up in the city but his grandmother lived on the farm until she died.  He remembers having a chamber pot in his farm bedroom and how he's stay in bed until his grandmother woke up and lit the wood stove to heat the lower level of the farmhouse.  My mother grew up in the city and was "by her words" a jockette.  She always had things well off while my father remembers shooting rats with a BB gun in his fathers apartment.  All of this said, growing up does not dictate your future.  Both my father and mother (deceased) have/had successful lives and are well off presently.

Now on to my brother and I.  We are both successful and have promising careers.  Mine is more blue collar while his is white collar.  Even though we had a computer in the house, I never "owned" one until I was enlisted in Okinawa.  My brother had a computer in his room before he was dome with elementary school.  He is also liberal while I'm conservative.  We can get together and do the "family thing" yet he and I are not close.

The point I make is that there is a society gap as big, if not bigger, that what existed in the early 40's.  From where I sit (I'm in my 30's), I see my paternal grandmother who can field strip a garand blindfolded (she taught the marines heading to Asia during WWII) and my maternal grandfather would was wounded in Belgium.  I see my father who is a PhD andwell known in his field yet puts on holey jeans, jean jacket and ragged boots while working on the out buildings on the family farm.  My mother was the socialite jockette, loved by everyone and known by everyone.

I hate cellphones and hate them but realize I need them to stay "connected".  My brother is in IT and can't live without it.  Translate this into general society and a vast majority of people have grown up in a urban/suburban area where you could always get whatever you needed by simply walking or driving a few miles.  These people are the ones who seem "blind" to how bad things could get.  They simply don't understand not being able to get something.  I grew up hunting frogs, making my own fishing poles and using my imagination.

The people who "don't understand" are the ones giving the gov't its current power.  Since they are beginning to realize that they cannot get everything they need/want, they're asking for help and the gov't is more than willing to listen...for a price.  The cost of that price depends upon the overall economy.  If it stabilizes/improves, then the masses will start to demand less control by the gov't.  If the economy gets worse, he masses will ask for more help and the gov't will gain more control.  History proves this.  The "new deal" worked and the masses wanted less gov't control.  The German economy continued to decline which allowed the Nazis to gain more power.

Your opinions may vary...

I think in simpler terms, My Father taught me at 5.  This is a wrench, this is a screw driver.  I cannot believe how stupid people have become.
Stupidity..is rampant.   NO EXCUSES.   Where is common sense.  Gee I wouldn't park my car in my house and smell the fumes...why do
I think I can put a generator in here....DUH.....

The Average American in 2009, make Forest Gump look like a Genius.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top