Link Posted: 8/1/2011 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Sad but true.  There are a lot of people, even some who've posted in the survival forum in the past, who have the mindset that through force of arms they already  intend to take what they need in a survival setting.

That, and the ever popular "if something bad happens I'm coming to your place..."

Yeah, except for Colt_Sporter's place. No one in his right mind would try to take anything from that feller  

I've seen with my very own eyes what C_S can do with an OBR at standoff distance. You'd have to be nuts to try to storm his castle There is a reason why I stockpile ammo and mags that are specifically earmarked for him

Same goes for Surf-I wouldn't want to hike up his driveway without an invite either...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Our wives say we do play very well together.  CJ you do need to come out and play more often.....

Then again doing these range days shows you were you forget things and need to improve.

Lesson was ==== do not leave your spotting scope on the short range side and DO make a range card to better communicate with your shooter.

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

When people say they are coming to my place, I tell them to bring their friends. I need more bodies to use as sandbags. Usually shuts them up.

I like your thinking.

Link Posted: 8/2/2011 2:49:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
taking supplies by force sounds a lot easier on paper, than in real life.  once the first home invasions happen, people will load up all the guns, get really paranoid, batten down the hatches, put in road blocks, guards, barbed wire, etc.

a remote location, with a single couple might be easy,/ less risky,  but a location where family members live close together, with good neighbors who help each other wont be so easy. hitting a single house you might get in, but getting out again will be a nightmare unless your rolling with a company sized element.

I slightly have to respectfully disagree with you on one point... Home invasions are happening now & are on the rise in some areas & most neighbors aren't putting up road blocks & such... Shoot most neighbors don't even know their neighbors name anymore.  I do hope however that if it was needed people would rise to the occasion & work together.

I think any people with working brains will figure out pretty quickly after TSHTF that law & order are their jobs now. After a few "formerly criminal" incidents(formerly criminal because after TSHTF there will be no such thing as crimes), any community with somebody who can think in them will realize that their safety is up to them, and just like the bad guys will realize there is no more government to stop them, the "good guys" will also realize it too.

I note that current laws seem to protect the criminals from we the common man a great deal, and that after SHTF in the absence of LEOs around, a community might have to take proactive action against said criminals. They are going to have a rude awakening after they pull some stunt, only to find a rope around their neck. All hypothetical of course.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 3:45:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Sad but true.  There are a lot of people, even some who've posted in the survival forum in the past, who have the mindset that through force of arms they already  intend to take what they need in a survival setting.

That, and the ever popular "if something bad happens I'm coming to your place..."

Yeah, except for Colt_Sporter's place. No one in his right mind would try to take anything from that feller  

I've seen with my very own eyes what C_S can do with an OBR at standoff distance. You'd have to be nuts to try to storm his castle There is a reason why I stockpile ammo and mags that are specifically earmarked for him

Same goes for Surf-I wouldn't want to hike up his driveway without an invite either...

I envy you american guys sometimes, I wish I had such friends

If you ever travel to the northeast US and something bad happens, rest assured that you do have such friends. You and your family would be welcome to stay with me and mine

You would have access to whatever supplies you needed, as well as the means to defend yourself and your loved ones.

When it all comes down to it, that's what friends are for-to take care of each other. Being there for my friends is something I take very seriously-as do most people here.

Link Posted: 8/2/2011 4:40:27 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a reason why walls have been the foundation of cities, towns and homesteads for the totality of human existence.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 5:09:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I envy you american guys sometimes, I wish I had such friends

If you ever travel to the northeast US and something bad happens, rest assured that you do have such friends. You and your family would be welcome to stay with me and mine

You would have access to whatever supplies you needed, as well as the means to defend yourself and your loved ones.

When it all comes down to it, that's what friends are for-to take care of each other. Being there for my friends is something I take very seriously-as do most people here.

I love you guys

Link Posted: 8/2/2011 5:23:55 AM EDT
[#8]
That cartoon hits a little too close for comfort
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 5:53:08 AM EDT
[#9]
If I don't know your intentions upon entering my zone, you will notice early signs that you need to move on, to another area where you won't bleed out!

If you approach, you will notice sign stating ( entering this area, you will disrobe to your underwear and have no weapons, or you will become food for the pigs!) !

Can anyone think of any other signage? Need this translated into other  languages as well......
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 6:03:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is a reason why walls have been the foundation of cities, towns and homesteads for the totality of human existence.

TRG

Places to put dirty graffiti, lost cat notices, and concert posters?

Link Posted: 8/2/2011 6:06:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
obvious truth is obvious.

yep.......i've heard it a lot.

Link Posted: 8/2/2011 6:10:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When people say they are coming to my place, I tell them to bring their friends. I need more bodies to use as sandbags. Usually shuts them up.

Heh. I'm stealing that one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#13]
A guy i know at work,(who did not turn out to be a good sort...) said he didn`t need to stock
ammo for his Glock and AR, if the shit hit the fan, he would just stop by my place and pick up some.
(thats the reason he doesnt know where i live)
I told him, Good, then I`ll have one less cartridge, and one more rifle.

I have seriously been downplaying ownership of gunstuff for a while now. If the subject comes up,
I point out that I have been selling off stuff while prices were high, and streamlining. Down to a pistol,
carbine, and shotgun now.....You know, nearing retirement, and all that.
those close to me and trusted, I advise them the same.

scruff
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If I don't know your intentions upon entering my zone, you will notice early signs that you need to move on, to another area where you won't bleed out!

If you approach, you will notice sign stating ( entering this area, you will disrobe to your underwear and have no weapons, or you will become food for the pigs!) !

Can anyone think of any other signage? Need this translated into other  languages as well......

Heads on fence post are a universal warning with a long history.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:10:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Places to put dirty graffiti, lost cat notices, and concert posters?

Yeah, even way back then, you had to have some sort of community activity for the yoots.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A guy I know from the army has stated many times that his plans are to rob and steal from the Mormons (a lot of Mormons in Mesa and Gilbert Arizona).  He knows about their stlckpiling food and stuff and he believes theh are too nice to do anything.  

I am not Mormon but a lot of my friends are.  He doesnt believe me when I tell him that a lot of Mormons own firearms and wont be as easy as he thinks they are.  He seems to think his ak clone makes him immune from buckshot fired from a hunting rifle or a 30.06 round from a scoped Remkngton.....

Buckshot fired from a hunting rifle???

Buckshot load in a .45-120 Sharps.  

(one more reason to add a Sharps to the want list)
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is a good one.

Link
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a good one.

http://img.jpcycles.com/product/152-486_A.jpg

Link

I really like that one

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A guy I know from the army has stated many times that his plans are to rob and steal from the Mormons (a lot of Mormons in Mesa and Gilbert Arizona).  He knows about their stlckpiling food and stuff and he believes theh are too nice to do anything.  

Is he somehow mistaking Mormons for Quakers?

Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a good one.

Link

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is he somehow mistaking Mormons for Quakers?

Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a good one.

Link

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q72/tc556guy/privateproperty.jpg

He's also mistaking living people for suckers. Mistakes like that can teach him a costly lesson.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a good one.

Link

When I lived in the country some years back, I set a long corner fencepost up at my range (yes, damn it, I had a range!  Why did I ever move?) and blasted a through and through in it.  Then I used it at the roadside corner of my driveway, with the exit hole facing the road.  The sign I put under it just said, "From the porch."

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Opsec is impossible between my wife and kid. When Private Root Beer told the neighbor about the "bean collection" in the basement, he predictably said, "I know where to come when things get bad".

I told him, "Good, we'll need meat-on-the-hoof. And bring your daughters."

Wish I had a pic of his face.

In reality, though, I don't think I'd have the heart to turn friends, family or neighbors away, and I know my wife wouldn't. At least until things got starvation bad. So I try to have extra, plus a double-secret stash that not even she knows about.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Opsec is impossible between my wife and kid. When Private Root Beer told the neighbor about the "bean collection" in the basement, he predictably said, "I know where to come when things get bad".

In reality, though, I don't think I'd have the heart to turn friends, family or neighbors away, and I know my wife wouldn't. At least until things got starvation bad. So I try to have extra, plus a double-secret stash that not even she knows about.

You think that you have it bad?  Try being active LDS.  Apparently we're already universally targeted.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You think that you have it bad?  Try being active LDS.  Apparently we're already universally targeted.
Gonna suck being a Utah Mormon  I keep getting told that, contrary to common sense, the Utah Mormons tend to ignore the stocking requirements, when even the German Mormons adhere at least to some extent.

Picture how bad it'll be when the hordes invade Provo, thinking they're breaking into prepper Fort Knox and realize that none of those guys has any food either

How'd you like to be the non-prepping LDS guy trying to convince the semi-literate goon with a knife at your wife's throat that you aren't lying when you say there ain't no food?

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Gonna suck being a Utah Mormon  I keep getting told that, contrary to common sense, the Utah Mormons tend to ignore the stocking requirements, when even the German Mormons adhere at least to some extent.

Picture how bad it'll be when the hordes invade Provo, thinking they're breaking into prepper Fort Knox and realize that none of those guys has any food either

How'd you like to be the non-prepping LDS guy trying to convince the semi-literate goon with a knife at your wife's throat that you aren't lying when you say there ain't no food?

Why are they allowed to ignore the stocking requirement?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'm not sure "allowed" is the term to use.  According to my LDS friends, the church doesn't really push it.  They "strongly recommend" and leave it to the individual members' judgement.  Apparently Utah LDS members are something of a joke to the rest of the LDS.

Disclaimer:  Though I have several close LDS friends, and a copy of the book (I've yet to read), I am not, myself, LDS.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure "allowed" is the term to use.  According to my LDS friends, the church doesn't really push it.  They "strongly recommend" and leave it to the individual members' judgement.  Apparently Utah LDS members are something of a joke to the rest of the LDS.

Disclaimer:  Though I have several close LDS friends, and a copy of the book (I've yet to read), I am not, myself, LDS.  

Varies greatly from neighborhood to neighborhood.  My last stake (similar to a Catholic diocese) pushed preparedness pretty hard.  One Sunday they even did a mock disaster drill where they requested that we pretend the stores were unavailable for a week and see how we do on our own preps.

That said, a lot of the members in that blue collar area could be very flaky about church participation and practicing what they are taught.  Now I live in a strongly white collar neighborhood and the members are much less flaky about church participation.  That's one of the interesting characteristics in the LDS community:  the higher the education the stronger the Church activity among the members, on average.

In Utah it is easier to get by on "cruise control" as an LDS Church member while not really practicing one's faith.  To "blend in."  Where I grew up in California a person had to take a stronger stance one way or the other when it came to practicing one's faith.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
 Apparently Utah LDS members are something of a joke to the rest of the LDS.

Considering that UT is the home turf of the denomination, thats a real slap in their faces if its true.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#29]
-

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently Utah LDS members are something of a joke to the rest of the LDS.

Considering that UT is the home turf of the denomination, thats a real slap in their faces if its true.

Kinda like citizenship.  Some of the most fervent patriots I know are immigrants who had to fight to get here.  Too many of those who were born here take it for granted and shirk their civic duties (hence our current government)

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I am not Mormon but a lot of my friends are.  He doesnt believe me when I tell him that a lot of Mormons own firearms and wont be as easy as he thinks they are.  He seems to think his ak clone makes him immune from buckshot fired from a hunting shotgun or a 30.06 round from a scoped Remington.....

LOL my mormon friends tend to have more firepower in their own homes than the local PD. And guess what? All of their children are eagle scouts, many of them have 4-7 children who are well behaved, and the mormons I know have the best functioning family structure / unit I know of. Good luck to that asshole friend of yours...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top