Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
sorry I meant to add a pic of the larger battery installed and a side by side comparison ––I dont know which versions it will fit on the basic 5r of course and as long as the battery holds to that form factor......
and yes the desk is a mess I am trying to go hru hundreds of business cards and sort out the ones that are no longer any good and get them organised.

Do you keep business cards on 3 1/2 floppies?

Im thinking about a couple for Christmas. its nice they use wouxun cables
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sorry I meant to add a pic of the larger battery installed and a side by side comparison ––I dont know which versions it will fit on the basic 5r of course and as long as the battery holds to that form factor......

and yes the desk is a mess I am trying to go hru hundreds of business cards and sort out the ones that are no longer any good and get them organised.

no I just uncovered that while  "digging out" believe it or not I have no idea where it came from and irony of ironies its sitting next to a 120gig SSD –– while cleaning out another draw the other day I found a 8in floppy from an old Wang "mini" computer. I think I need to clean out my desk more often !
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

no I just uncovered that while  "digging out" believe it or not I have no idea where it came from and irony of ironies its sitting next to a 120gig SSD –– while cleaning out another draw the other day I found a 8in floppy from an old Wang "mini" computer. I think I need to clean out my desk more often !

Somewhere on my desk I have 2 bigfoot drives...they're almost as old as I am.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#4]
There seem to be several new versions of these radios now,  "c" and a "+" models. Is there any differences other than cosmetic changes?  I can't seem to find any info about the new versions. For the price it I guess it doesn't matter. They all look more rugged than my Kenwood handheld.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There seem to be several new versions of these radios now,  "c" and a "+" models. Is there any differences other than cosmetic changes?  I can't seem to find any info about the new versions. For the price it I guess it doesn't matter. They all look more rugged than my Kenwood handheld.

Here is at least one difference (re: extended life battery)

Baofeng UV-5R High Capacity 3800 Mah Battery. This high Cap battery will power your Baofeng UV-5R (original model) for Days! This battery will not fit any Wouxun or MTC radio. It will not fit any Baofeng other than the UV5R. It will not fit the newer type UV-5RA, UV5RB, or UV-5RC type Cases without trimming some plastic

MTC Website
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I just ordered two Sets today

BaoFeng UV-5R+ PLUS Radios
38oo mAh batterys
Car charger Cords
Longer antennas (NAGOYA NA-771)

Now let the waiting begin

Link Posted: 11/3/2012 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I ordered the Baofeng UV-5R off Ammazon.com. I must have selected the wrong model because mine came with this wrong power supply. Yes it is my stupid ass fault for not double checking. Any which way, I know a charger for it can be had fairly cheap. I'll chalk it up to experience. So just which charger can I buy to give this power? On eBay there are so many.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I ordered the Baofeng UV-5R off Ammazon.com. I must have selected the wrong model because mine came with this wrong power supply. Yes it is my stupid ass fault for not double checking. Any which way, I know a charger for it can be had fairly cheap. I'll chalk it up to experience. So just which charger can I buy to give this power? On eBay there are so many.

$14.95

http://www.wouxun.us/category.php?category_id=60

Link Posted: 11/3/2012 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

$14.95

http://www.wouxun.us/item_images/BaofengCharger-x.jpg

Should be able to buy just the wall wart. The charging cradle is the same for AC voltages.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$14.95

http://www.wouxun.us/item_images/BaofengCharger-x.jpg

Should be able to buy just the wall wart. The charging cradle is the same for AC voltages.

Thats what I want. Which power supply wall mount do I need?
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thats what I want. Which power supply wall mount do I need?

Assuming that:

1. It uses the same 2.1 mm DC connector size as the Wouxun UV2 (which is a pretty common connector size for ham gear these days), and

2. The center pin of the DC connector is positive (also very common nowadays),

..then something like this should work fine.

ETA: I'm certain I've got a few spare 12VDC 1 amp wall warts with that connector size and polarity laying around - I got a whole bunch of them with an 8-camera security recorder system, but went with a large dedicated 12VDC power supply instead. If you'd like to PM your mailing address, I'll send you one for free.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Are you sure the Euro/DC plug doesn't come off?  Mine came with an adapter that went over the standard AC plug to make it the DC.  Give it a try.

Link Posted: 11/3/2012 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you sure the Euro/DC plug doesn't come off?  Mine came with an adapter that went over the standard AC plug to make it the DC.  Give it a try.

No, it is one solid piece. I saw others do have the adapter. Mine does not...
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine came with the euro adapter over the spades. A universal adapter with he right tip and polarity will do the trick. The adapter supplies 10 volts DC with the center of the tip positive. You can also cut the cord off of the adapter you have, identify which lead goes to the center of the tip with an ohmmeter or continuity tester and make sure it gets connected to the positive side of a ten volt dc wall wart and the other side to the negative. Check for correct polarity and volts at the tip and you should be good to go.

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I think I looked at the internal regulator/power supply on the schematic and found that 12vdc will charge and operate the radio.

Don't do it until someone verifies...

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:18:11 AM EDT
[#16]
So I realized something

I was reading the manual and thinking why does this radio have some
odd features for a ham rig (TX inhibit on a busy frequency, etc).
Then I thought about the business radios that I worked on years ago.

It seems to me that these started out as business radios than moved
over to being sold to hams, it explains some of the odd features and
the lack of frequency programming directions in the manual.

Some of those features are ones that would appeal to Business users.

Over all they look like good little radios

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So I realized something

They've always been commercial radios that happen to cover the ham bands
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I realized something

Yep, I finally realized that

I've been out of ham radio for a number of years. I stumbled on these one day and told my
son about them (he is also a ham) we both wound up ordering Two of the UV-5R+ Plus.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I realized something

Yep, I finally realized that

I've been out of ham radio for a number of years. I stumbled on these one day and told my
son about them (he is also a ham) we both wound up ordering Two of the UV-5R+ Plus.

What tipped me off was that the Plus model says "Professional FM Transceiver" just below the display. If it came down to it, I'd recommend them for business use.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Just got mine in and it works pretty well, especially for being on $43.  However, there seems to be quite a delay between releasing PTT and switching to RX.  Any way to reduce that?

ETA:  Figured it out.  I set menu 20 to 0 and I can now hear the courtesy tone on the repeater.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I ordered a package yesterday:
http://www.radioddity.com/baofeng-uv-5r-plus-earphone-136-174-400-480mhz-two-way-radio.html

For $49.99 shipped I got:

1 x UV-5R PLUS (VHF136-174MHz / UHF 400-479.995MHz)

· 1 x 7.4V 1800mAh Li-ion Battery Pack

· 1 x Antenna 136-174/400-479.995Mhz

· 1 x Earphone Mic/Headset

· 1 x Belt Clip

· 1 x Hand Strap

· 1 x ENG / GER / FRA Manual

· 1 x adapter

· 1 x Desktop Charger ( 100V ~ 240V )

I also ordered 2 adapters in case I get a non-female antenna. I ordered 2 extra 1800mAh because they were just under $10 each.

Next I am planning to order the Diamond SRJ77CA: http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=191_717_713_1113&products_id=5210

Where are you guys getting the huge battery? I also couldn't find the car charger.

I plan to take the Tech and General in December. I plan to try for the extra. Wish me a boat load of luck on that one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

http://www.radioddity.com/baofeng-uv-5r-plus-earphone-136-174-400-480mhz-two-way-radio.html

· 1 x Belt Clip

· 1 x Hand Strap

· 1 x adapter

I also ordered 2 adapters in case I get a non-female antenna. I ordered 2 extra 1800mAh because they were just under $10 each.

Next I am planning to order the Diamond SRJ77CA: http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=191_717_713_1113&products_id=5210

Where are you guys getting the huge battery? I also couldn't find the car charger.

I plan to take the Tech and General in December. I plan to try for the extra. Wish me a boat load of luck on that one.

Ah fuck this hobby.  I just bought a Wouxun and now this one too to fuck around with.  There goes the kids college fund

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
.  There goes the kids college fund  

That would be the KENWOOD TS-590

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
.  There goes the kids college fund  

That would be the KENWOOD TS-590

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0590lrg.jpg

I bought a Yaesu FT-270 and a UV-5R in the same month...I had to cut down to two meals a day to cover it. #collegeprobs

Actually I took my UV-5R with me skiing over the weekend when I went to Taos. I found out there is repeater coverage of Sipapu (I could only get through to one of the 4 repeaters I had programmed in before leaving) which I found interesting seeing as I had access to that repeater in town.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

· 1 x Belt Clip

· 1 x Hand Strap

· 1 x adapter

Ah fuck this hobby.  I just bought a Wouxun and now this one too to fuck around with.  There goes the kids college fund  

College is often a collossal waste of time and money now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just got mine in and it works pretty well, especially for being on $43.  However, there seems to be quite a delay between releasing PTT and switching to RX.  Any way to reduce that?  

ETA:  Figured it out.  I set menu 20 to 0 and I can now hear the courtesy tone on the repeater.

Dunno what menu 20 does exactly, but LMR radios usually have some sort of PTT delay for squelch tail elimination.  When you release the PTT, the radio stops encoding CTCSS/DCS but leaves the TX going for a short length of time, like 300ms.  That way on the RX end of the conversation, the receiver will go quiet due to lack of tone before the RF drops, so no audible squelch tail.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:12:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

–––– Snip ––––

Where are you guys getting the huge battery? ebay and Amazon have them

I also couldn't find the car charger. There really isn't one unless you put a 12v cord
on the charging cup and use that in the car But they do make a battery eliminator

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dunno what menu 20 does exactly, but LMR radios usually have some sort of PTT delay for squelch tail elimination.  When you release the PTT, the radio stops encoding CTCSS/DCS but leaves the TX going for a short length of time, like 300ms.  That way on the RX end of the conversation, the receiver will go quiet due to lack of tone before the RF drops, so no audible squelch tail.

But squelch tails sound cool
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But squelch tails sound cool

AM squelch tails sound cool

Years ago I had a 706, another guy I knew did also and after goofing off with all the various modes and bands we ended up using 6m AM simplex for local chitchat, convoying to hamfests etc.  Just had a nice pleasant audio quality.  The original 706 models didn't have much power on 2m, so we didn't get very far with mobile simplex on 2m SSB or AM... it would be interesting to repeat those tests/experiments/goofing off with AM on 2m and 70cm with a little more power just for kicks.

FM squelch tails vary from minimal to incredibly annoying depending on the particulars of the receiver, and the transmitter at the other end.  Haven't ever made an organized survey, but anecdotally it seems like radios that use real FM modulation for TX have a consistently less-obtrusive squelch tail at the other end, while the much larger percentage of radios that use phase modulation tend to usually be more annoying but do vary quite a bit. I don't even know if anyone makes a true FM radio anymore.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Nah –– ya wanna talk college fund you gotta get into a YAESU ft-DX-9000   ––ONLY $13,000.00 before options.

I would like an Yaesu 817 for Christmas if anyone hits the lottery and is feeling generous !!
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Anybody know of a holster that fits the uv5r?
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 4:08:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I dunno, but I'd think the Condor brand holster would work.  It's almost a little snug on the Wouxun....

Post Link
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno, but I'd think the Condor brand holster would work.  It's almost a little snug on the Wouxun....

Post Link

I saw that one. I think I'll just wait until my pair of 5Rs arrive then head over to the geerqueer shop (local tactical/surplus store) and see if I can find one that works well. I'll report if I do.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I got these for my woxoun:

Then This:

To go on this:

Link Posted: 11/25/2012 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#35]
I saw radio cases for the UV-5R with and without the large capacity battery over at 409radioshop.  Has anyone looked at the UV-5R UU  model?
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#37]

I will admit I laughed at the pics

Link Posted: 11/25/2012 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I will admit I laughed at the pics

When it's all put together I'll post more pics.  I have no idea why I can't stop buying stuff in A-TACS and stuff to put on my plate carrier.

Link Posted: 11/25/2012 11:40:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I saw radio cases for the UV-5R with and without the large capacity battery over at 409radioshop.  Has anyone looked at the UV-5R UU  model?

I *think* the difference on the UU model is that the UHF covers 400-520 instead of 400-480.  Only an issue if you wanted to use it for LMR use in areas that have T band allocations, if they're even Part 90 approved.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 4:40:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Airsoft Mall Ninja Alert!!!!  

WTF???    
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#41]

Ah that's not even fair dude.  The only thing Condor is the HHR pouch since no one else makes one in stock in A-TACS and the chinese knockoff earpiece since well, it matches well with my Chinese knockoff Wouxon.  

That's a Warrior Assault System DCS plate carrier with SAPI plates and my BCM upper with a Geissele S3G trigger, hydrodipped in A-TACS, and a TA-33G-H in a LaRue mount.

The drop leg holster is made by Tactical Performance which is a great overlooked company and Warrior Assault plate carriers have features that don't start appearing until you hit Mayflower type prices for below the cost of a shitty TAG PC. The drop leg with the three mags is unfortunately Shellback Tac piece of shit, but it's stuffed with a complete IFAK designed by me and with my name on it from TacticalMedic.com.  

So it's not airsoft, but it's not finished yet either.  Hence me getting involved with HAM since I need to learn and use comm gear that works out in the desert when we are mining or hiking.  Now, I just need a place to put that knife.  It takes up A lot of molle space...

Fuck it.  Total mall ninja airsoft poseur busted.

Link Posted: 11/26/2012 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm glad I saw this thread. I see 2 ea of whatever version accepts the 3800 mah battery without modification in my near future. It looks like that is the UV-5R only?
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm glad I saw this thread. I see 2 ea of whatever version accepts the 3800 mah battery without modification in my near future. It looks like that is the UV-5R only?

from what I've read, yes, that is a correct assumption
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

from what I've read, yes, that is a correct assumption

Said on an other site you could mod the newer version to fit the battery.

Link Posted: 11/27/2012 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have 2 of the UV-5R+ Plus Radios for those the batteries need to be modded.

I also have 2 of the UV-5R and the batteries Do Not need to be modded for those
BUT you may need to take a 3/32 drill and expand the mic hole (I had to do that on mine)
The Mic hole is a bit small and limits the audio getting to the mic.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BUT you may need to take a 3/32 drill and expand the mic hole (I had to do that on mine)

Wouldn't it be easier to just use a plug in mic?  I heard even the drill mod doesn't make it all that much more better.

Link Posted: 11/27/2012 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't it be easier to just use a plug in mic?  I heard even the drill mod doesn't make it all that much more better.

An external mic is just one more thing to carry.

Also with an external mic you would still need to pull the radio out to use the keypad
(to control the radio as well as repeaters, and remote bases, etc)

The radio as stock has the mic opening to small and it limits the audio getting to the mic.
(This tends to make your transmitted audio very quiet).

The Drill mod made a huge difference.

Link Posted: 11/28/2012 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Question on the UV-5R as I haven't read the detailed specs yet but am very interested in picking one of these up:

Can it transmit on the MURS frequencies?

If so, my next (and very separate) question is: Is it Type certified and legal to do so?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Question on the UV-5R as I haven't read the detailed specs yet but am very interested in picking one of these up:

Can it transmit on the MURS frequencies?

If so, my next (and very separate) question is: Is it Type certified and legal to do so?

Thanks.

The radio is capable of using the frequencies, and Radio Mart's website says (their model at least) is Part 90 type accepted.  IIRC MURS is supposed to be part 15 or something like that, but there are other users on the same frequencies under part 90... as long as you're under the power limitation I can't imagine anyone caring.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top