BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about we do the first drill on Saturday, October 10th? A field/QRP test can be done the following week (tentative). The weather should be nice for being outside for the most of the country.
View Quote

Perfect!  I'm off work that day.  I live in the upstate of SC and am only a Tech.  Is anyone close by that would mind an observer (aka, trainee) to listen in on HF?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Perfect!  I'm off work that day.  I live in the upstate of SC and am only a Tech.  Is anyone close by that would mind an observer (aka, trainee) to listen in on HF?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about we do the first drill on Saturday, October 10th? A field/QRP test can be done the following week (tentative). The weather should be nice for being outside for the most of the country.

You are welcome at my place. We are located just west of Rock Hill, SC. Nothing fancy here but I can talk on 80-10 meters. Extra license so you can use the radios with my call sign while I'm here.

I could call you and pass the message on 2 meters but my good antenna is not working right. It's a 5 element Yagi at 85 feet, on top of my tower. It used to work like a cannon and I often talked to people on simplex, as far as 80 miles away. Something happened to it. SWR is very high.  Unfortunately I can't climb on the tower to get it fixed. Currently I'm limited to a Comet GP-9 vertical antenna mounted on top of my house. We can try 2m simplex if you want.
You can also try using REMOTEHAMS.COM to get on HF through an Internet app.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You are welcome at my place. We are located just west of Rock Hill, SC. Nothing fancy here but I can talk on 80-10 meters. Extra license so you can use the radios with my call sign while I'm here.

I could call you and pass the message on 2 meters but my good antenna is not working right. It's a 5 element Yagi at 85 feet, on top of my tower. It used to work like a cannon and I often talked to people on simplex, as far as 80 miles away. Something happened to it. SWR is very high.  Unfortunately I can't climb on the tower to get it fixed. Currently I'm limited to a Comet GP-9 vertical antenna mounted on top of my house. We can try 2m simplex if you want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the kind offer.  Depending on what time this thing gets started, I may take you up on it.  I'd like to learn a little more about the hobby and I feel it's probably a bit easier when someone is there for some "show and tell".  It's also nice to make new friends in the hobbies represented on this site.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#4]
SW Missouri checking in.  Might be interested but I'm only on UHF/VHF
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Oct 10 currently looks good for me

Another variation of the dril to consider.

Have all people who are going to participate commit to a several hour window and have the coordinator make a list of them and provide each participant with coordinator's email,phone.  At start of drill, the coordinator starts making contacts and passing the message. Others do the same once they have the message.  So instead of trying to get the message to one person, the drill goes until each person participating has received the message and confirmed via email,phone with coordinator.

This way we can simulate trying to advise all ARFCOMers of information instead of just getting it to one of us.

JLE
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#6]
count me in

eta: racsan, we (and a few other arfhams in the extended local area) could/should try for a fairly decent distance 2m simplex component as well or something like that
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Oct 10 currently looks good for me

Another variation of the dril to consider.

Have all people who are going to participate commit to a several hour window and have the coordinator make a list of them and provide each participant with coordinator's email,phone.  At start of drill, the coordinator starts making contacts and passing the message. Others do the same once they have the message.  So instead of trying to get the message to one person, the drill goes until each person participating has received the message and confirmed via email,phone with coordinator.

This way we can simulate trying to advise all ARFCOMers of information instead of just getting it to one of us.

JLE
View Quote

Not a bad idea. Thanks. I was thinking about keeping the first exercise relatively simple. We could try to make it progressively more challenging if there is enough interest to do another exercise, maybe several weeks later. Maybe we can run another drill requiring to use portable radios running off an emergency power source into a portable, expedient antenna.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 1:15:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:Maybe we can run another drill requiring to use portable radios running off an emergency power source into a portable, expedient antenna.
View Quote
Would really like to see a true get out in the field with a KX3, FT817, etc and see if we could get it done.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Important question:

Can we call this the ARFComEx (Amateur Radio Field Communications Exercise)?

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#10]
ARFCOM SIGEX (Signal Exercise).

To keep things rolling for a while and give he data a known format, how about a couple of reports in SALUTE format, with each line of the report sent every 10 minutes or so?  

If you add report numbers and dither them during release, you might get a couple of hours of traffic.

Salute Report  Format
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#11]
In!
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Important question:

Can we call this the ARFComEx (Amateur Radio Field Communications Exercise)?

View Quote

Sounds good. Now we need to order some T-shirts - "  ARFComEX VETERAN <<<OPERATION - ARFCOM SIGEX>>>" [/span]
BTW, I did not want to call it a drill. It's not a military drill. This word brings some nasty memories back from when I was in a military service.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#13]
October 10, I'll be in Germany having a drink.  Otherwise, I'd hook up the solar panel to the FT817 and see if I could make a contact.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#14]
In...
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Any West Coast volunteers?
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm up for playing.

Keep in mind that the last drill was over in a matter of minutes, even though Pic intentionally threw in a stumbling block or two.
View Quote

Pic threw stumbling blocks in because this is TRAINING. Training is SUPPOSED to be chaotic. The purpose is to teach you to think on your feet and make do with what you have.

Occasionally it's OK to throw out a problem where there is no solution simply to teach people tht sometimes there simply isn't a solution but that's later on. Generally it's best to hand a problem out that can be solved but is a challenge.

Gyprat, Don't be afraid to toss in a roadblock here and there.

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Pic threw stumbling blocks in because this is TRAINING. Training is SUPPOSED to be chaotic. The purpose is to teach you to think on your feet and make do with what you have.

Occasionally it's OK to throw out a problem where there is no solution simply to teach people tht sometimes there simply isn't a solution but that's later on. Generally it's best to hand a problem out that can be solved but is a challenge.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm up for playing.

Keep in mind that the last drill was over in a matter of minutes, even though Pic intentionally threw in a stumbling block or two.

Thanks buddy. We are working on it.

We are still looking for a volunteer who lives near the West Coast ( California, Oregon, Washington). Neighboring states like Arizona, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, British Columbia (Canadian province) or Baja (Mexico) may qualify if we don't find anyone near the coast.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Had fun originating the East-to-West portion of the message during the original Pic-exercise. I was the easternmost arfham at the time. I hope to be around for this exercise
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#20]
October 10th, I will be /p qrp in the Black Hills of South Dakota. It will probably be a struggle to get a signal out with 5 watts but I should be able to listen.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
October 10th, I will be /p qrp in the Black Hills of South Dakota. It will probably be a struggle to get a signal out with 5 watts but I should be able to listen.
View Quote

I should be able to pick you up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks like I'm free that weekend... might be able to finally get my gear out!
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#23]
i take my technician license test that day

but ill be listening for sure!
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am off on the 10th and should be around...    

Though with all these cycles, religious events, blood moon, economy problems, terrorist, and mass immigration problems amassing around the world we might be at it for real.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great. I'll send you a PM in a few days.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
...Maybe this will motivate you to install that antenna you purchased but never had time to install...
View Quote
Quoted:
Sounds interesting, I'm in.  I need motivation to string up the G5RV that's been sitting arond.
View Quote
He's been watching us!    Mine's a JR though.

Quoted:
View Quote
That's the boat I was in last time.  I monitored the ARF U/V freqs, 146.520, etc. and even through out a few calls but didn't hear a peep.  Good luck.

Quoted:
View Quote
What about, instead of having a goal of East-to-West, we have a goal of "alert N number of members" or, maybe not a WAS, but a worked-all-regions or something.  

Getting a message from coast-to-coast is good, getting a message E->W and a reply W->E is even better.  

Getting a message in to all regions/states/X largest metro areas, or other goal zones seems more useful/practical/realistic w.r.t. the Chinese, Russians, and Cubans invading or whatever the circumstances are.  

Getting a message and the reply into all goal zones sounds ideal.  Maybe primary goal of getting "Flash" from East Cost to West Coast and "Thunder" back to the east coast, and then let it run for a set amount of time after that to achieve the secondary goal of alerting as many of the goal zones as possible.

Dragging it out longer would allow more people to play rather than to blink and miss it.

For example...
Time T-04:00 event X
Time T-04:00 Initiate message E->W (I suspect event X, can you confirm)
Time T-03:59 to T-03:38 Message received on West Coast, initiate reply W->E (I confirm event X occurrence)(primary goal achieved)
Time T-03:59 to T-03:38 Reply received back on the East Coast (important people into the bunker)
Time T-03:59 to T-00:01 Get message/reply into as many goal zones as possible (everyone into the bunker)
T-00:00 Event X consequences (Sorry you didn't get the message)(secondary goal failed, achieved, or achieved to some degree)
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's the boat I was in last time.  I monitored the ARF U/V freqs, 146.520, etc. and even through out a few calls but didn't hear a peep.  Good luck.

What about, instead of having a goal of East-to-West, we have a goal of "alert N number of members" or, maybe not a WAS, but a worked-all-regions or something.  

Getting a message from coast-to-coast is good, getting a message E->W and a reply W->E is even better.  

Getting a message in to all regions/states/X largest metro areas, or other goal zones seems more useful/practical/realistic w.r.t. the Chinese, Russians, and Cubans invading or whatever the circumstances are.  

Getting a message and the reply into all goal zones sounds ideal.  Maybe primary goal of getting "Flash" from East Cost to West Coast and "Thunder" back to the east coast, and then let it run for a set amount of time after that to achieve the secondary goal of alerting as many of the goal zones as possible.

Dragging it out longer would allow more people to play rather than to blink and miss it.

For example...
Time T-03:59 to T-03:38 Message received on West Coast, initiate reply W->E (I confirm event X occurrence)(primary goal achieved)
Time T-03:59 to T-03:38 Reply received back on the East Coast (important people into the bunker)
Time T-03:59 to T-00:01 Get message/reply into as many goal zones as possible (everyone into the bunker)
T-00:00 Event X consequences (Sorry you didn't get the message)(secondary goal failed, achieved, or achieved to some degree)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...Maybe this will motivate you to install that antenna you purchased but never had time to install...
Quoted:
Sounds interesting, I'm in.  I need motivation to string up the G5RV that's been sitting arond.

Quoted:

Quoted:

For example...

The purpose of the exercise is to learn to think on your feet. We will introduce a bit of chaos and confusion that always happens during emergencies. We will not announce exact time nor frequencies. Passing a message from coast to coast is very easy on HF bands. Logistics can be hard and confusing.  
Also I don't want to create an obscured message or anything like - "The chair is against the wall. John has a mustache" or "Aliens are invading New York. Load your ammo". It's not a good practice and is a borderline violation of FCC rules.
Most likely this exercise will take more than 15 minutes and many participants will be able to get both forward and reply messages. Dragging this all day long may not work either. Not everyone can spend 24 hours playing ARFCOM SIGEX. I understand and respect that.
Perhaps there will be enough interest to do another exercise but use our portable radios with portable antennas instead. We could simply adapt a Field-Day format and try to work as many ARFCOM stations as possible.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#28]
If it's just a field day clone,  then count me out.
Making contacts is one thing, but passing traffic with speed and accuracy is another thing entirely. It is a skill not practiced enough, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The purpose of the exercise is to learn to think on your feet. We will introduce a bit of chaos and confusion that always happens during emergencies. We will not announce exact time nor frequencies. Passing a message from coast to coast is very easy on HF bands. Logistics can be hard and confusing.  
Also I don't want to create an obscured message or anything like - "The chair is against the wall. John has a mustache" or "Aliens are invading New York. Load your ammo". It's not a good practice and is a borderline violation of FCC rules.
Most likely this exercise will take more than 15 minutes and many participants will be able to get both forward and reply messages. Dragging this all day long may not work either. Not everyone can spend 24 hours playing ARFCOM SIGEX. I understand and respect that.
Perhaps there will be enough interest to do another exercise but use our portable radios with portable antennas instead. We could simply adapt a Field-Day format and try to work as many ARFCOM stations as possible.
View Quote

I think there may have been a misunderstanding.  

I am not suggesting sending messages along the lines of "the shit is going down, get in the bunkers RFN."  I described an exercise with segments such as "initiate message east-to-west."  Presumably the message would be something benign and more akin to"Exercise message Westbound" and not that segment's real-emergency type analog such as "I suspect a catastrophic event has occurred."  

I am also not suggesting playing ARFCOM SIGEX for 24 hours.  The example timeline I gave is not "all day".  It includes a 22 minute primary goal to get the message from east coast to west coast and a reply back to the west coast; which, I gather, is longer than the last exercise took.  It also includes the provision to let it run for (for example) another 3:38 (for a total of four hours) as a secondary goal of disseminating the message instead of immediately shutting it down and posting the results online.  

Not only does that not suggest playing radio for 24 hours, nobody would even need to play for all four hours or however long it runs.  Got the message and you're done?  Played your part in the primary goal and don't want to bother any more?  Heading to bar to watch #20 Georgia Tech upset #11 Clemson?  Turn off the radio and go.  Maybe in a "real world" scenario, those operators bugged out, closed up the bunker, or had their comms go down with the rest of the grid.

In any case, it's your show to run and it was just a suggestion of how to make it more interesting and multi-faceted and maybe give more people a chance to get in on it than would be the case with a more simplistic exercise (even with logistical hurdles introduced) of passing a message back and forth that was over quickly last time.  Why not hold off for an hour or two before calling it a wrap and see how the information disseminates.  Perhaps the real world analog would be people trying to contact a Red Cross camp in each number region or some specified metro areas or, from the other side, people looking for information about what is going on.  Or maybe nobody is interested in that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 3:33:39 AM EDT
[#30]

After 4 page of advice, time we allow Gyprat to go ahead and conduct the exercise in the manner he decides.

For those of you who have widely differing ideas on content and format...    Great!

Take the lead and conduct your exercise in November, December and upcoming months.  We've had many ideas so we can maybe make this a monthly event.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:20:08 AM EDT
[#31]
NO! NO! You're doin' it all wrong!!

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Oct 10, I'll be packing the van to drive to OH, maybe I will get a chance to get on?

Good on you Gyprat for getting 'er done
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

After 4 page of advice, time we allow Gyprat to go ahead and conduct the exercise in the manner he decides.

For those of you who have widely differing ideas on content and format...    Great!

Take the lead and conduct your exercise in November, December and upcoming months.  We've had many ideas so we can maybe make this a monthly event.
View Quote

Participate
Provide Feedback
Plan
Precipitate your own drill
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If it's just a field day clone,  then count me out.
Making contacts is one thing, but passing traffic with speed and accuracy is another thing entirely. It is a skill not practiced enough, IMO.
View Quote

This is not what I said. I have no intensions to clone a field day format into the first drill. This was merely a suggestion for another "QRP radio in a field" practice exercise as suggested by several members. There is nothing that keeps us from doing more exercises with different rules and formats in the future.
We have several more weeks to go and I have not posted any rules nor a final simulated scenario.
I have every suggestion written down and will try to accommodate as many as possible. Obviously we simply can't include everything into the first exercise. I do want to keep it somewhat simple but challenging at the same time.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm in if I can get an antenna up. The monsoon season wasn't good to my antennas.
Oh, do I have to be dressed for this one?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This is not what I said. I have no intensions to clone a field day format into the first drill.
View Quote

Apologies for my misinterpretation, sir. Carry on, and I'll be shutting the hell up and going AFI..   :)

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Bump.
So far this is planned for this Saturday (October 10th) morning.
I will post more information on Friday.
Please print out or write down Arfcom frequencies. We will have no access to Internet on Saturday morning since we are simulating a grid-down situation. The link is posted on page 2.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Bump.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I planned on being on a small vacation this weekend trying to participate while qrp but the trip is postponed for a few weeks. I'll be at home with bigger ears and and a few more watts.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Hopefully there's some HF prop.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

If tonight's conditions persist we're in trouble.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank God real emergencies never happen when there's bad propagation.

I guess this could be a REAL test of the group's ingenuity to deal with bad conditions before we really have to.

ETA:  I'll still be in the Hideout, running stationary portable.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm still tentatively in, unless my better half has her own plans for me this weekend
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. QRP is not an option for sure. We can postpone it if that's what every one wants.

I believe it can be done with bad propagation conditions. This will require additional efforts and knowledge. We don't want to make it too easy. This drill may end up as a flop but we will learn our limitations and identify mistakes to make it work the next time. It's a great lesson.  Most likely it will be a chaos in the beginning but some order will emerge.  Every one will learn to head to the same place, be it Digital, SSB or CW.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't think anybody wants to postpone it, we just aren't done bitching about the ionosphere yet
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yep. QRP is not an option for sure. We can postpone it if that's what every one wants.

I believe it can be done with bad propagation conditions. This will require additional efforts and knowledge. We don't want to make it too easy. This drill may end up as a flop but we will learn our limitations and identify mistakes to make it work the next time. It's a great lesson.  Most likely it will be a chaos in the beginning but some order will emerge.  Every one will learn to head to the same place, be it Digital, SSB or CW.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go for it. low prop will add to the challenge.  

I probably won't be able to participate since I am on a remote island (Kaho`olawe) for work and may end up busy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I probably won't be able to participate since I am on a remote island (Kaho`olawe) for work and may end up busy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. Earthquakes don't wait for a good Voacap plot. We got to play the hand dealt us.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:16:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Agreed.  Do it in the suit,  and light this candle!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#49]
to add a degree of difficulty, I don't have any antennas up at my new house yet.

Should be fun.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#50]
So what's the drill going to be? Or at least at what time does the drill start? Got a lot of chores to get done on Saturday, just trying to budget my time...

In the absence of any sort of direction, I'll be monitoring (unattended) the 20 and 40M digi channels.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top