BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 1:02:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I plan on at least making a wire for 30m.

I use a sporty forty coil for 40m, but i could combine that with a wire for 80m maybe. At least for something narrow like Ft-8 or JS-8 frequ.

Maybe look into that soon.
View Quote

I have a wolf river mini, and rarely take it along. The wire works really well. I have a cheap fishing pole that I hold it up with.
Edit: WRC said I could tune 80 with the mini coil, but I have never tried. That would take a lot of radials to get a good tune.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#2]
shameless bump
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 12:51:32 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have or are interested in getting one of the 100 dollar hf "baofeng" usdx radios, here is a link to an "owner's manual"
https://github.com/TekMaker/uSDX-QRP-Transceiver/blob/main/uSDR%20Manual_V1.0.pdf
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you have or are interested in getting one of the 100 dollar hf "baofeng" usdx radios, here is a link to an "owner's manual"
https://github.com/TekMaker/uSDX-QRP-Transceiver/blob/main/uSDR%20Manual_V1.0.pdf
View Quote
Thanks for that, saved.

Does anybody run a digirig to go along with this?

I have the same radio with a digirig and proper cables to go with it. Just haven't figured out how to set it all up together. I'm up to speed on wsjtx and ft8/4 with a signalink with other rigs I just haven't figured out how to get a digirig running
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for that, saved.

Does anybody run a digirig to go along with this?

I have the same radio with a digirig and proper cables to go with it. Just haven't figured out how to set it all up together. I'm up to speed on wsjtx and ft8/4 with a signalink with other rigs I just haven't figured out how to get a digirig running
View Quote

How do you like the radio? I have seen folks set them up for ft8 on youtube, but not with digirig. Most of the setups are by non english speakers, but translate on cc can get you the gist.
This video has some settings for those radios so you aren't replacing the finals, and to get better audio (maybe).
uSDX+ Setting the settings in the menus
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How do you like the radio? I have seen folks set them up for ft8 on youtube, but not with digirig. Most of the setups are by non english speakers, but translate on cc can get you the gist.
This video has some settings for those radios so you aren't replacing the finals, and to get better audio (maybe).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUiW-GubP-I
View Quote
I have only set it up once in my garage while I was fiddling with projects, to me the audio quality is low grade, but I'm sure that can be helped with an external speaker. I made a handful of voice contacts with it. My dad made over 1000 pota contacts on his activations with it, so I know these things work.

My plan is to use it for truck portable pota activations on ft8. I usually run a 450d for voice when I am portable.

Once I get the digirig figured out I'll use it more often.

Thanks for the reply
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#7]
The skinny on Inverted Vee dipoles: https://vu2nsb.com/antenna/wire-antennas/inverted-v-antenna-dipole/
There's a lot of bad info on them floating around and this article does a lot to refute it. Plus it contains math and graphics that help explain the conclusions.
Depending on one's location, they can be much easier to put up than flat-top dipoles and because the center is supported, lighter wire and components can be used.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I've worked 267 countries in two years with an inverted-V, so I can vouch for their performance.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top