WERE ON 3860

OES
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I GIVE UP   73

OES
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Listening on 7262 (qso on 7260 currently).
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm running a few minutes late.  I'll give you a shout on 7.262
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm putting out CW calls on 7262 also, cause the kiddies are in bed -- trying not to holler.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I heard your CW call.  It is coming in about 3/1 into the panhandle.  Not good enough for me to copy anything much.

Also got the babysitting duty tonite.  Guess I'll call it a night.  One of these days, the condx are going to be good.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I've heard GT and Gy on CW, along with OES on LSB.  Tried calling all of you back in same mode but no response!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#8]
BACK ON 7261

OES
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#9]
GT: I can hear you, but apparently you can't hear me on SSB, 7.262.

BTW, I received the package, THANKS!!!

Stay Safe,
AGreyMan
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm putting out CW calls on 7262 also, cause the kiddies are in bed -- trying not to holler.

GT, just passed the CW exam! Thanks for the tips! Now I just need to get another radio.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats on the CW!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry guys , I have been missing all the nets ! I have either been working or doing a Scout meeting alot lately.
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 4:07:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Thx for the kudos guys. I'm thrilled.
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 5:20:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Awesome, we'll call you General Jax! Most excellent. So your a stroke-AG now! It's very rewarding, isn't it? On-air code is even warmer and fuzzier. Can't wait to have you with us on the....er....nets. Or lately it's been a bunch of people calling on their radios, posting that they're calling, and nobody hearing anybody :). But that's just how the sunspots crumble. Ve'll be bock!

Whatcha gonna buy? Santa gonna have to get out his soldering iron this year?
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 5:49:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, I'm not quite a stroke-AG. I still have to take the written. So actually I'm not sure what I am. Not sure what (if anything) I'm supposed to send with my call since I'm not a full General, just a Tech with HF. But I like the sound of General Jax. I'm hoping to be ready for the 11/18 exam.

I'm not sure what rig I'll end up with. For the time being I'm going to try to borrow something from a buddy of mine. Been a ham since the 60s but he said he hasn't been on the air in a while.
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#17]
That works. Lemme know as soon as you get on the air -- we'll meet up in the novice band somewheres. Soon you'll be able to CW anywhere in the current General band with the new FCC ruling!
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 6:49:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Sorry guys , I have been missing all the nets ! I have either been working or doing a Scout meeting alot lately.

+1
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 7:37:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm bummed about the new location... can only work 20M.. no room for larger antennas.
I've been tinkering with PSK-31 with some success.. Anyone else use it or other digi modes?

FN
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#20]
FN64, Check out this indoor vertical project!
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I am going to take my test on 11/18 here. I have the Gordon West Element 2 book but I am worried that it is the older version and that the questions reset this fall. The guy at the radio shop said it wouldn't matter as long as I read the book. Hopefully I will be able to join in on this by the end of next month.

Omni

ETA: Crap! I just noticed that this is on HF, guess I will just have to listen for now.
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
GT, just passed the CW exam! Thanks for the tips! Now I just need to get another radio.

Holy Sh-- big congrats yehaww! Now go knock out that general test!
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Ooops, missed last night, maybe next week
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 3:22:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Well here goes, As most of you know I got wiped out by  a lighting hit a few weeks ago. I am down to the place where I am going to be replacing the three HF rigs that the lighting took out. As most of you know I have never had anything that was newer than 20 years old.( I like the old stuff It is easier to operate) I all ways had a Drake T4C & R4C they don’t have many buttons.   I am looking at three radios and am going to need you guy’s input to tell me the ones that are the most user friendly, and the best all around rig as far as new rigs go.   I know nothing about any of the newer stuff. If some if you know of something better in the same price range let me know.

It was bad for me as but My BOL,Home, and Car rigs where all on my bench and hooked up when I got hit, So it got all three.
First one Icom 706KMIIG
Second   Yeasu 897D
Third      Yeasu FT857D looking at this one for the car.

Let me know what you all think as far as user friendly and a all around OK rig. I never do anything fancy but want a easy to use rig. Don’t want to take ten minutes to change frequency.
SM

Link Posted: 11/6/2006 5:06:45 AM EDT
[#25]
The -706 is really popular, but I have no experience with them.

I've heard that the -897 is nothing more than a -857 in a larger and more expensive package.  I'd just as soon get the -857.  Mine has worked just fine as both a portable and a base station radio.  You just have to be careful not to overheat it while doing the digital modes.

Will be standing by for the net on Thursday. Promise
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#26]
SM, glad to hear you're about ready to get back on the horse.

From what I know about you, you may be happier with rigs that are more tactile, with dedicated controls for most features (as opposed to menus). I LOVE my FT-857D and I would certainly recommend it for your mobile HF, but for the base stations, consider something like the following:

Kenwood TS-2000 -- $1600, auto ant tuner, 2m/440, some nifty stuff like sky command and built in TNC (for packet and APRS), small case, lots of buttons for hands-on approach.

Icom 746 Pro -- $1500, tuner, 2m, nice filters, but I don't get Icom's interface. Not as easy to figure out as Kenwood IMO.

For a little less, Kenwood TS-570DG ($900) or SG ($1100) (the S adds 6m). Tuner, easy to use interface (was my first HF rig -- a loaner -- and I had no trouble figuring it out).
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 5:45:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Does both the 897 and the 857 have on board batteries?? for portable use? I can't really tell from the info sheet. are there any other differences that you know of??
I know there are a lot of the 706s around but I have also been told that they are are hard to opperate. One of the guys that I talk to every AM on the way to work cant change frequencys on it on 2M while driving? Dam Lighting I liked my old stuff
SM
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 5:49:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks,  GlockTiger
thats the kind of info I am looking for, I just have stayed with the old stuff so long I have know Idea how the newer stff opperates
Sm
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I love my FT 857D and with Ham Radio Deluxe on my computer it makes an excellent base station. The HRD does logging and mapping and does an outstanding job of turning my radio in to a BIG RIG! It does CW & SSB as well as PSK31 and DX cluster plus FM for repeaters. The best part is HRD is Free!

If you remember, I used the 857D as a Moble rig on a 10 state motor home vacation back in April. With an LDG tuner and three ham sticks I was able to keep in touch with all my freinds back in Indiana plus make DX contacts in Europe.  

The only reason that I have concidered the Kenwood 2000 is it does 100watts on 2 meters and has the ability for crossband repeat.  It is a $1600 radio, wereas my 857D was only $650
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Does both the 897 and the 857 have on board batteries?? for portable use?

857 doesn't have a battery. 897 has an optional battery pack you can buy. The main thing you get w/ the 897 is a bigger, bulkier chassis that accepts some of Yaesu's modular accessories, like battery, power supply, antenna tuner, etc.

The 817 (QRP) rig is the only one that actually comes w/ a battery.

I know there are a lot of the 706s around but I have also been told that they are are hard to opperate.

Well, some of us use these as base rigs and don't have a problem operating them. GySgtD and I both use the 857, Scottman uses the 897, and AGreyMan uses the 706 -- just to name a few. But given the option for a true base rig, I'd like to have one of my suggestions.
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 4:22:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Does both the 897 and the 857 have on board batteries?? for portable use?

857 doesn't have a battery. 897 has an optional battery pack you can buy. The main thing you get w/ the 897 is a bigger, bulkier chassis that accepts some of Yaesu's modular accessories, like battery, power supply, antenna tuner, etc.

The 817 (QRP) rig is the only one that actually comes w/ a battery.

I know there are a lot of the 706s around but I have also been told that they are are hard to opperate.

Well, some of us use these as base rigs and don't have a problem operating them. GySgtD and I both use the 857, Scottman uses the 897, and AGreyMan uses the 706 -- just to name a few. But given the option for a true base rig, I'd like to have one of my suggestions.

Thanks for the info: The problem is most of the stuff I had came in a little under 1K each. So If I am going to replace all three I will need to stay in that price range. I am beginning to lean tward one each A 706 for the BOL, A 897 for the home rig and the  857 for the mobil rig I allready have A 817 for QRP but it just does not cut it for general use. Maby the 706 would make a good BOL rig??
SM
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 5:26:42 AM EDT
[#32]
If $1K is your mark, don't discount the TS-570DG -- the built-in tuner is nice, especially for emergency use (i.e. your main antenna blows out and you have to throw up an improvised wire). They have DSP filtering and optional mechanical filters, pretty decent noise reduction, large display & buttons. Again, as much as I love my 857, I enjoyed that 570.

Even if you got a 570 for the BOL, chances are you'd have 2m/440 covered by whatever rigs are in your BOV. Plus the "S" model adds 6m (all mode) for only $1079.

You should certainly have an 857 in your stable somewhere, but if you have any aversions to digital menu-driven stuff (not saying you do, but if you do), the 897 may be frustrating (and no built-in tuner). To add a tuner to the 897 and you'll be at about $1k assuming you get something like a $200 LDG autotuner.
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 6:16:59 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
If $1K is your mark, don't discount the TS-570DG -- the built-in tuner is nice, especially for emergency use (i.e. your main antenna blows out and you have to throw up an improvised wire). They have DSP filtering and optional mechanical filters, pretty decent noise reduction, large display & buttons. Again, as much as I love my 857, I enjoyed that 570.

Even if you got a 570 for the BOL, chances are you'd have 2m/440 covered by whatever rigs are in your BOV. Plus the "S" model adds 6m (all mode) for only $1079.

You should certainly have an 857 in your stable somewhere, but if you have any aversions to digital menu-driven stuff (not saying you do, but if you do), the 897 may be frustrating (and no built-in tuner). To add a tuner to the 897 and you'll be at about $1k assuming you get something like a $200 LDG autotuner.

GlockTiger

Not sure what you ment by:
the 897 may be frustrating (and no built-in tuner). To add a tuner to the 897 and you'll be at about $1k

Are you saying you must add a tuner to the basic 897??
SM
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 6:50:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Not to try an answer for Glock tiger, but none of the rigs named have built-in tuners.
I use LDG AT-100pro auto tuner. It is only slightly larger than my 857D although shorter (approx $179)it does tune 6meters thru 160M.

What I wanted to mention is if you stay with the same brand for all three. You can use the same software for each radio. The 857D and 897D utilize and operate exactly the same. The 817 is nearly the same and uses the same accesssories. Whereas the 706 could not utilize the software or accessory cables. Just something to consider.
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 6:57:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Correct -- none of the Yaesu's mentioned (817/857/897) have built-in tuners. Nor does the IC-706MKIIG.

Some radios WITH tuners built-in:
TS-2000
TS-570DG/SG
TS-480SAT (worth a look too $959 -- I'd forgotten about that one -- you get HF/6m + Tuner)
IC-746 Pro

So for around $1k you can get built-in tuners at the expense of 2m/440. For $1500, you can have both.
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#36]
OK got you now I was on the wrong page I was thinking TUNER as adjust frequency knob, Not adjust SWR on Antenna tuner, I have the Big Heath kit tuner at both locations so other than maby in the car I don't need one the big heath tunes up anything. SORRY not thinking today, I am still getting use to not adjusting the plate and load not even thinking about the antenna
SM
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Well I could not stand it any more I ordered the FT857D For now I will look at the rest later,
SM
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Since you opted for the -857, I'll put my endorsement in for using the Ham Radio Deluxe software package for it.  It's free, and makes using the -857 much easier to use as a base station.  The software bundle comes with PSK, SSTV, RTTY, and mapping software IIRC.  They all work very well.

Let me know if you need an antenna tuner.  I have a LDG auto-tuner that currently isn't being used (in fact, it was only used during my YI dxpedition).  
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#39]

LDG auto-tuner

Sounds like somthing that would be good in a car??
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#40]
No, that's why I don't need it.  It is a desktop tuner.

I don't recollect the model # off the top of my head, will have to look.
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Since you opted for the -857, I'll put my endorsement in for using the Ham Radio Deluxe software package for it.  It's free, and makes using the -857 much easier to use as a base station.  The software bundle comes with PSK, SSTV, RTTY, and mapping software IIRC.  They all work very well.  

Yes! absolutly! Ham Radio Deluxe is awsome. You will need the Yeasu CT62 cable to connect the radio to your computer, they are about $29. as I said before it turns the FT857D into a BIG radio.
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#42]
t
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but do you guys still hold this net and stick to this protocol of listening?  I'm going to be getting my ticket soon and would love to join you all.
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but do you guys still hold this net and stick to this protocol of listening?  I'm going to be getting my ticket soon and would love to join you all.

Fisrt welcome aboard and hope you get your ticket soon so you may join us. The 40meter band has not been good latley and I have not been on lately nor did I hear anyone last thurs. We also use echolink which you can get on your computer once you get you tech ticket.
you can check it out herehttp://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=494875
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Hi Beef,

I'll warn you, I'm high on Nyquil, so I hope this is coherent

The structure is still in place even though it's been tough making contact lately. I confess to not being as diligent about the monitoring protocol in the last couple months, but I'll try to buckle down more (except I'll be away from the rig for this week's net due to Thanksgiving).

Additionally, even if our practice has slipped lately, we have the plan in place. If all of a sudden there is a communications crisis, we would know what freq other Arfcommers will go to. And we know the one time of each day (0100z) we'd be most likely to be on frequency. And those of us who've been at it a while should have a nice little list of callsigns, board names, and locations for the gang (so we're not just another callsign on freq). I don't personally have my own network of survival contacts on the radio, but the cadre of Arfcommers fills that void and represents a large geographical area and broad knowledge base about a range of topics, so I consider my affiliation therewith very valuable.

Additionally I know which of us run power, who can operate CW and Digital modes, and several of us are affliliated with a group of hams who don't frequent Arfcom but another web board. So just through my association with folks from this board, I feel I have a group of guys out there with whom I can compare notes in good times and bad. Pretty neat!
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Is this a CW or voice net?

I'll try to make it Thursday with Thanksgiving and all..

Link Posted: 11/22/2006 2:37:55 AM EDT
[#47]
LSB Phone net. Although sometimes the only way we hear each other is via CW. I usually get on frequency and make a few voice calls, and if no contact I'll start sending some CW. I have memories set up on my FT-857D for CQ ARF CQ ARF DE <CALLSIGN> as well as just DE <CALLSIGN> <CALLSIGN> K. Someone can usually hear that.

Kinda wish more of us were set up for CW so we could still make contact on nights when condx don't allow enough propagation for phone.

Freq is on/about 7.261. Usually depends on guys on 7258 and 7263.5 (we're usually sandwiched betwixt them).

Also note that even though the subject line says 0000z, that's for daylight savings time. Currently we do 8pm EST / 7pm CST (0100z).
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 4:27:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Maybe with the code restritions gone we can get some more people on our net.....I haven't been very active on it lately , seems like I always have something going on Thursday nights !
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 3:38:25 AM EDT
[#49]
KG5S
I WILL BE BACK ON BY FIRST OF THE YEAR, STILL PUTTING THINGS TOGATHER.
JUST GOT MY vhf REPEATER SYSTEM LAST NIGHT, BUE WE ARE MAKING PROGRESS
sm
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 4:32:28 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
KG5S
I WILL BE BACK ON BY FIRST OF THE YEAR, STILL PUTTING THINGS TOGATHER.
JUST GOT MY vhf REPEATER SYSTEM LAST NIGHT, BUE WE ARE MAKING PROGRESS
sm

It was sad to here about all your radio probs but I have been in that boat before !.....
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top