BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Ok I spoke to the freeze dried guy and the white buckets of food are in fact the Wise food products. I was concerned about the packaging because of post 16 in this thread;

http://www.whenshtf.com/showthread.php?38420-To-open-or-not-to-open/page2&highlight=wise

Now, this is the only instances of "open food" packaging that I can find, but it might be worth while inspecting your freeze dried food packages just to be safe.

Justin

Yeah, wise has a generally good rep, guess it was a bad lot, or a sealing machine out of calibration.

I'll check all food packets I receive to ensure they hold air, of course I would have done that anyway just to be sure.

EDIT:  I ordered some extra packs just now and I'll be checking them for leaks, as well as posting a small review in this thread of how they taste.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a side note on fats and oils.

keep in mind that the cooking oils can be used to make candles if you stock some material to make wicks. You could use the old out of date oil for this.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Just a side note on fats and oils.

keep in mind that the cooking oils can be used to make candles if you stock some material to make wicks. You could use the old out of date oil for this.

That is badass, I'll have to find a guide on this.

Great tip.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
actually Morning Moo has both types of powdered milk...

Not sure what that means.
You mean white and chocolate?

They have the non fat milk and the soy or whey or what ever it is.

Augason Farms makes both the Morning Moos and the Country Fresh Non-Fat Milk.
Morning Moos is a milk substitute.
We store both.

ETA: The Morning Moos gives more bang for the buck.
#10 can Country Fresh Non-Fat Milk makes 39 cups.
#10 can Morning Moos makes 90 cups.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I stopped worrying about caloric intake and supply timelines awhile back. It's pointless for me. I don't have tons of cash to just throw at this in one take, and I don't know for sure how many mouths or under what conditions I will be feeding them, so it's not much use for realistic planning purposes. I just keep accumulating it.

I have a pretty good idea how many mouths to feed, but there are possible variances. And for how long? What necessitated breaking into the stash in the first place? We have FD/DH as well as "normal" (canned) foods in rotation, and my guess is that for my estimated group size about 7-9 months' worth. It's a shitload of food. Am I going to wring my hands over how many calories each meal is, and how that figures over what period of time if person XX shows up?

No. I'm going to keep buying it until I can't anymore. I'll have as much as I have then, and hope it's enough for whatever we're facing. It's all I can do.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:12:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I stopped worrying about caloric intake and supply timelines awhile back. It's pointless for me. I don't have tons of cash to just throw at this in one take, and I don't know for sure how many mouths or under what conditions I will be feeding them, so it's not much use for realistic planning purposes. I just keep accumulating it.

I have a pretty good idea how many mouths to feed, but there are possible variances. And for how long? What necessitated breaking into the stash in the first place? We have FD/DH as well as "normal" (canned) foods in rotation, and my guess is that for my estimated group size about 7-9 months' worth. It's a shitload of food. Am I going to wring my hands over how many calories each meal is, and how that figures over what period of time if person XX shows up?

No. I'm going to keep buying it until I can't anymore. I'll have as much as I have then, and hope it's enough for whatever we're facing. It's all I can do.

My general rule is that I need at least 90 days per person. If you plan to bug out to my location, you'd better bring 90 days with you. Preps aren't meant to be an end all be all if you are planning for a long term SHTF. They are meant to be a stop-gap between the event and you making alternate arrangements.

All of this IMO, of course.

There is nothing wrong with just stocking until you can't, though. My biggest concern with that is when your food comes up for rotation. It may be more than you can consume so you may have to discard it.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
actually Morning Moo has both types of powdered milk...

Not sure what that means.
You mean white and chocolate?

They have the non fat milk and the soy or whey or what ever it is.

Augason Farms makes both the Morning Moos and the Country Fresh Non-Fat Milk.
Morning Moos is a milk substitute.
We store both.

ETA: The Morning Moos gives more bang for the buck.
#10 can Country Fresh Non-Fat Milk makes 39 cups.
#10 can Morning Moos makes 90 cups.

I ordered the everyday size of white and chocolate moos, nonfat milk, and powdered butter. If they taste acceptable, I will add this to my pantry.

Thanks
TC
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:31:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
<snip>
I ordered the everyday size of white and chocolate moos, nonfat milk, and powdered butter. If they taste acceptable, I will add this to my pantry.

Thanks
TC

Don't forget to post after you try things.

A lot of people go gaa gaa over the Morning Moos,
I am interested to hear what you think of their Non-Fat Milk (especially if you have ever tried Borden instant or other brands).

If you have a sams club card (or access to one),
samsclub.com has really good prices on Augason Farms products.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:19:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don't forget to post after you try things.

A lot of people go gaa gaa over the Morning Moos,
I am interested to hear what you think of their Non-Fat Milk (especially if you have ever tried Borden instant or other brands).

If you have a sams club card (or access to one),
samsclub.com has really good prices on Augason Farms products.

My wife picked up some of the Borden a week or so ago. We have really concentrated our efforts for the last 2 years on having a well stocked traditional pantry and rotating stock. Eating what we like and donating what we don't. Meat and Fats (minus cooking oils) have always been fresh. I have looked at LDS and freeze dried long term stores and am still researching/testing. A very good friend of mine and fellow prepper/group member focused on the LDS approach with MRE back ups. I didn't go that way because 90% of the issues I expect to encounter will be local disaster hurricanes, flood, power plant deficiencies, local riots, loss of income/s. What I am looking for now is adding portability and long term storage.

I will definitely post my reviews of the flavors.

Also old, used, expired cooking oil can be used for diesel engine fuel. Living in Florida I don't have to worry about an inline/intank warmer.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:31:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Also old, used, expired cooking oil can be used for diesel engine fuel. Living in Florida I don't have to worry about an inline/intank warmer.

This is why I bought a Deuce.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stock up on fuel filters, you will go through them like CRAZY running used veggie oil in a diesel, even if you properly strain the oil before use.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:10:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stock up on fuel filters, you will go through them like CRAZY running used veggie oil in a diesel, even if you properly strain the oil before use.

100% agree. I'm buying a "quick change" kit to make it easier too.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for starting this thread.  

Setting aside days, servings, meals, and calories - what kind of nutrients are in many of these products?  Is it worth it to stash some one-a-day vitamins?  Vitamin and/or mineral deficiency can cause problems, so I'm curious how complete these products are.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Setting aside days, servings, meals, and calories - what kind of nutrients are in many of these products?  Is it worth it to stash some one-a-day vitamins?  Vitamin and/or mineral deficiency can cause problems, so I'm curious how complete these products are.

Absolutely! Multivitamins are just as critical as food is. These meals are complete 'enough' to keep you decently healthy, but I wouldn't call them self sustaining. They are a good start though.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#15]
As far as Food Prep.'s go I think this Post has been the most informative for me already.
I was freaking out a little on how to start prepping in Bulk and in normal Grocery Store runs. I've think I have calmed down a bit and have gotten a handle on it. (
I hope everyone keeps posting, I know there's still a Ton of info. out there.

Thanks Everyone!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As far as Food Prep.'s go I think this Post has been the most informative for me already.
I was freaking out a little on how to start prepping in Bulk and in normal Grocery Store runs. I've think I have calmed down a bit and have gotten a handle on it. (
I hope everyone keeps posting, I know there's still a Ton of info. out there.

Thanks Everyone!

First:
DON'T PANIC !
(Read "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" if you have not done so )
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#17]
tag
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Multi vitamins don't have a long shelf life, so its also important to look into what veggies and fruits provide good nutrients.

Specifically, the nutrients/vitamins that promote a healthy immune system.  SHTF, a simple infected cut can become a threat to your life unless you are stocking Cipro...

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you think it would be more practical, cheaper and tastier to buy canned meats from the box stores and rotate them every 2 yrs or so than buy the expensive freeze dried meats?

Canned is more widely available, and I think canned tastes better, and has better texture. But Freeze dried will last longer in storage. We have both.

Canned meats will last way longer than the 2 year "use by" stamp.  

This is from the Hormel site.  Their lawyers wouldn't let them say this if canned food wasn't safe.

The processing techniques utilized by Hormel Foods makes the canned product safe for use indefinitely if the product seal remains intact, unbroken and securely attached to a can that has been well maintained. It is suggested that all canned products be stored in a cool and dry environment to keep the flavor adequately preserved. For maximum flavor it is recommended that the product be used within three years of the manufacturing date. After that period of time, the product is still safe to use however, the flavor gradually declines.

I buy canned meats like chili, corned beef hash, "luncheon meat", and ham.  I never worry about shelf life.  It's way cheaper than freeze dried and has more fat, which would be important for SHTF eating.  

Maybe people who live in desert or swamp areas would have a hard time with a "cool, dry place", but where I live it's no problem.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you think it would be more practical, cheaper and tastier to buy canned meats from the box stores and rotate them every 2 yrs or so than buy the expensive freeze dried meats?

Canned is more widely available, and I think canned tastes better, and has better texture. But Freeze dried will last longer in storage. We have both.

Canned meats will last way longer than the 2 year "use by" stamp.  

This is from the Hormel site.  Their lawyers wouldn't let them say this if canned food wasn't safe.

The processing techniques utilized by Hormel Foods makes the canned product safe for use indefinitely if the product seal remains intact, unbroken and securely attached to a can that has been well maintained. It is suggested that all canned products be stored in a cool and dry environment to keep the flavor adequately preserved. For maximum flavor it is recommended that the product be used within three years of the manufacturing date. After that period of time, the product is still safe to use however, the flavor gradually declines.

I buy canned meats like chili, corned beef hash, "luncheon meat", and ham.  I never worry about shelf life.  It's way cheaper than freeze dried and has more fat, which would be important for SHTF eating.  

Maybe people who live in desert or swamp areas would have a hard time with a "cool, dry place", but where I live it's no problem.

I agree that if its been properly heat treated during canning, and if the can doesn't bulge, the canned product should be edible probably 10 years later, maybe even longer.

But its going to taste like death.

Still beats starvation though.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a can of DAK ham I bought back in Jan. of this year with an expiration date of sometime in 2015.  We just ate it this past weekend and I can't remember the month only the year.  It was pretty good too
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#22]
As to the wise food, read the ingedents.  I note the Chicken Teriyaki's first three ingredents are rice, soy sauce powder and sugar.  Chicken and TVP don't make the lost.  Chicken Pasta is pasta, non-dary creamer and cornstarch.  Chicken Ala King is the first one to have TVP in it, as the fourth ingreadent. (Pice, A la King sauce, FD peas)
Cheesy Lasagna lists cheese as it's 5th ingredent, behind cheese flavor, but it's at least got TVP in it.

This stuff is pretty much rice and flavoring at near MH prices.  And I don't buy MH rice dishes in general, since rice is so easy to store.

Note the 120 servings a month is just 2 cases of FD cans, and the brand of cans on their website is MH.  So it looks like you are paying $184-212 a case for mountain house.  Go to ready.com and you can pick your flavors for less ($140 for chicken and rice to $216 for chicken a la king.  Note a serving is typically 200-250 cal.  FD eggs, ground beef, granola, and chipped beef are much higher.

ETA: wshbrngr- Whats in the cases (beans) that are about 50% larger then the cases of #10 cans.  I mean is it larger cans or mylar or just plastic bags.  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As to the wise food, read the ingedents.  I note the Chicken Teriyaki's first three ingredents are rice, soy sauce powder and sugar.  Chicken and TVP don't make the lost.  Chicken Pasta is pasta, non-dary creamer and cornstarch.  Chicken Ala King is the first one to have TVP in it, as the fourth ingreadent. (Pice, A la King sauce, FD peas)
Cheesy Lasagna lists cheese as it's 5th ingredent, behind cheese flavor, but it's at least got TVP in it.

This stuff is pretty much rice and flavoring at near MH prices.  And I don't buy MH rice dishes in general, since rice is so easy to store.

Note the 120 servings a month is just 2 cases of FD cans, and the brand of cans on their website is MH.  So it looks like you are paying $184-212 a case for mountain house.  Go to ready.com and you can pick your flavors for less ($140 for chicken and rice to $216 for chicken a la king.  Note a serving is typically 200-250 cal.  FD eggs, ground beef, granola, and chipped beef are much higher.

ETA: wshbrngr- Whats in the cases (beans) that are about 50% larger then the cases of #10 cans.  I mean is it larger cans or mylar or just plastic bags.  Thanks

I tried a few Wise food packets, I have eaten a lot of different brands.  I didn't like Wise.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Those are boxes of 1gal mylar bags.

We bought 140lbs of pinto beans @ sams club before finding that we actually had a LDS cannery here in San Antonio.
If we had known, we would have bought their beans in #10 cans.
As we eat these beans, we will replace them with LDS #10 cans.

We also bought Comet brand rice @ sams club because this is what my wife likes to cook with.
She has been using comet rice since she was little. - that was all she requested in terms of storage.
Her kitchen, her rules.  

The boxes are 12x12x22 which I found at 'The Container Store'.
The 1gal mylars fit perfect. 10-11 bags per box.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top