Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2022 8:54:37 AM EDT
I'm getting a $100 gift card to either of the above, and figured I would put it towards prep stuff. I was hoping to get some ideas on what to go with that would help while generally camping/being out and also could serve back up or a decent use as needed.

I have camp stoves and bags, and I'm solid on guns/ammo/lights/EDC/etc.

Would you go with a basic small solar set up for charging batteries? Biloite home set? Nice boots or rain jacket? Finally spend $25 a pair on Darn Tough wool socks?

edited to add, got the card for REI, and will do the membership thingy
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I 'invested' in Darn Tough socks, and was dissapointed.  Smart Wool socks, are proving to be much better.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I used a Cabella's Gore-Tex rain jacket as an outer shell when shooting the Ft Benning 3 gun matches...
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have an REI local to you and you're a member of the coop, check out the garage sale section. Thats where they sell customer returns. Each item generally has a justification as to why its returned. You'll see things like "item was too small," "customer preferred different model," etc. I have had pretty good luck with things such as outer layer, some electronics, and others that I otherwise wouldn't pay retail for.

I picked up a 120w goal zero yeti 200X for $125 the other day because the previous owner "wanted the larger model" in the garage sale section. It lives in my car for additional means of power when i go out for the extended match or event.

Garage sale section plus the $100 gift card could save you a lot on something you stumble upon.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't have a good pair of boots I would get some.  If you don't have good wool socks I would consider several pairs of those as well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#5]
REI.

stock up on wool socks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd rather spend my money at Cabelas, but that's me. We have an REI in this area, and they were absolutely militant assholes about wearing masks for COVID.

Also not saying you should get them, but I'll say I started buying some Darn Tough stuff in the past few years and I've been really impressed with their products.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:53:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm getting a $100 gift card to either of the above, and figured I would put it towards prep stuff. I was hoping to get some ideas on what to go with that would help while generally camping/being out and also could serve back up or a decent use as needed.

I have camp stoves and bags, and I'm solid on guns/ammo/lights/EDC/etc.

Would you go with a basic small solar set up for charging batteries? Biloite home set? Nice boots or rain jacket? Finally spend $25 a pair on Darn Tough wool socks?

View Quote

If you don't already have a set, actual rain gear like Frog Togs or other brands.  I don't care how nice a rain jacket is, it isn't as good in heavy rain as actual rain gear....
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd rather spend my money at Cabelas, but that's me. We have an REI in this area, and they were absolutely militant assholes about wearing masks for COVID.

Also not saying you should get them, but I'll say I started buying some Darn Tough stuff in the past few years and I've been really impressed with their products.
View Quote

If it's the one in Conshohocken they currently have a mask sign up, but I've been in there a few times recently unmasked and nobody complained or gave me the stink eye. Some other customers were also unmasked.

I haven't been to the one in KoP since before covid.

FWIW.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I know REI is hippy/granola, but they do have a local store and a good supply of camping stuff. I am not a member, not sure that that costs to join?

Cabelas used to be awesome but the store is much farther away, and I'm "afraid" I'd just spend the money on over priced ammo.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't support the wokesters at REI. Cabela's is a far sight better, even if you run the risk of getting more ammo.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know REI is hippy/granola, but they do have a local store and a good supply of camping stuff. I am not a member, not sure that that costs to join?

Cabelas used to be awesome but the store is much farther away, and I'm "afraid" I'd just spend the money on over priced ammo.
View Quote

An REI lifetime membership is now $30. The biggest perk is that you get 10% back on most of your purchases, paid out in a yearly dividend because it's a co-op.

I don't shop at REI nearly as much as I used to, but sometimes I need something RFN, rather than waiting for it to arrive from an online vendor. The only other outdoors shop that's nearby is Dick's Sporting Goods.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#12]
REI usually has freeze dried meals on sale.  Buy 8 or 10 and get 10% off.  Wool socks, a rain jacket, compass, hiking shoes.  The possibilities are endless.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#13]
bump, I ended up picking REI and the card is here. trying to decide what I "need" but haven't come up with anything yet.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
bump, I ended up picking REI and the card is here. trying to decide what I "need" but haven't come up with anything yet.
View Quote

I liked your idea of a solar battery charger above.

I went to Haiti for a missions trip shortly after Hurricane Matthew leveled them. It was a category 5 hurricane when it hit. It devastated them and a year later, they still had not rebuilt. Really felt bad for the people and how hopeless their situation was.

Everyone and their mothers there had a solar charger for their phones. They seemed to work well and allowed them to effectively communicate with the outside world/their families.

Here in the states, a solar charger is a must for both short term and long term SHTF. When I was in school, I worked as an engineering intern at a large power plant. The power grid is amazingly complex and amazingly easy to upend. The engineer I worked under gave a presentation at NASA about how easy it would be for a terrorist to bring down the grid, and the subsequent destruction it would cause.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Socks, water filters, freeze dried food
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I liked your idea of a solar battery charger above.

I went to Haiti for a missions trip shortly after Hurricane Matthew leveled them. It was a category 5 hurricane when it hit. It devastated them and a year later, they still had not rebuilt. Really felt bad for the people and how hopeless their situation was.

Everyone and their mothers there had a solar charger for their phones. They seemed to work well and allowed them to effectively communicate with the outside world/their families.

Here in the states, a solar charger is a must for both short term and long term SHTF. When I was in school, I worked as an engineering intern at a large power plant. The power grid is amazingly complex and amazingly easy to upend. The engineer I worked under gave a presentation at NASA about how easy it would be for a terrorist to bring down the grid, and the subsequent destruction it would cause.
View Quote

@Halo05 thanks, good info and I am ignorant about solar. I know I want something but not ready to spend a fortune on it. I have lights and a generator, but the ability to charge some small stuff seems worth it.

which of the following would you suggest I get?  a panel like this and I use existing battery packs/charge to phone
this is a small panel but also charges batteries? We do stock AA/AAA rechargeable for lights and battery candles
or like this? BioLite 620. Seems like it has some good use, and I could mount it on my shed which currently has no electricity, plus use in emergencies in the house.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@Halo05 thanks, good info and I am ignorant about solar. I know I want something but not ready to spend a fortune on it. I have lights and a generator, but the ability to charge some small stuff seems worth it.

which of the following would you suggest I get?  a panel like this and I use existing battery packs/charge to phone
this is a small panel but also charges batteries? We do stock AA/AAA rechargeable for lights and battery candles
or like this? BioLite 620. Seems like it has some good use, and I could mount it on my shed which currently has no electricity, plus use in emergencies in the house.
View Quote

I've got to be honest, I haven't studied up much on solar either. I know REI sells some nifty little solar battery packs. Those were mostly what I saw in Haiti.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 1:15:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm really mixed on REI. I mentioned looking for a sleeping bag for a hunt a few years ago and dot completely ghosted by the hired help.  Also,  my favorite light weight jacket is an REI branded piece.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 3:34:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm really mixed on REI. I mentioned looking for a sleeping bag for a hunt a few years ago and dot completely ghosted by the hired help.  Also,  my favorite light weight jacket is an REI branded piece.
View Quote

I went to the store to look around this weekend and felt similar. Everything I liked was like $300+ which seems crazy.

After I grabbed a $140 t shirt I got pissed snd left
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm kind of obsessed with the camping food desserts. Some of them are pretty great, so get $100 worth of that. I prefer the Alpine Aire chocolate mudslide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top