Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2017 9:03:25 PM EDT
Well i am sure i am the millionth dude to post in here bout hunting, for that sorry

Looking to come out and do some antelope hunting next year and for now i am focusing on 2 zones, 38 and 34.  Looking at the BLM lands around mule creek how do you determine a public use road from a private road?

I am looking at the WY state site for HMA's and am assuming that the shown roads such as mule creek road and sybille rd, is public since it is named and shown on their map. Is that a correct assumption?

Also camping on blm land is it valid thought that i can park on side of road walk in a bit pop a tent and build small fire and that is GTG? Every site ive looked on that appears to be correct, am i wrong?

Thanks you guys
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Stop into a BLM office and get their maps for the area that you are planning to hunt. The maps will have the road number on public roads. Private roads will lack a number. They have semi accurate lines for private vs state vs USFS/USDA vs BLM land on the maps as well.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#2]
The only way to know for sure is to contact the county. Most have a digital map showing public roads on their website.

Wyoming roads and access are challenging.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Both times we hunted in Wyoming we used a combination of blm maps and an onX map chip.  The onX is invaluable for keeping you straight on what's public and private.  They now have an online version which is great for cyber scouting.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Ya, OnX is well worth the money. I use both phone and a Garmin GPS, but for roads the only way to be sure is to talk to the county. OnX has mistakes.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#5]
cool thank you guys, i do have the onx map and over the next few months ill be getting equipment together binos etc and the onx and a good gps are on the list.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 3:34:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Without looking at the specific area you mentioned...

When i went out in october all the state land I went on was clearly marked. I didnt hunt on any BLM though. Most the private property was marked extremely well also, almost like they were really really sick of dealing with hunters.

I used OnX maps while i was out there and used the county GIS maps in the "prescouting" phase.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top