Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2020 9:34:30 AM EDT
I have seen the other posts.  And yes, i know the current HI policy for getting on the island. (72 hr test..etc)

my questions is--what is actually  "open"?

I see the bars are closed, but what about restaurants with bars?  If we came there, could we go to a bar/restaurant and still get drinks?  are most spots like this open (because they serve food as well)

Asking because i snagged a room over xmas, and want to know if its  (currently) even worth going there

note:  would be at Hale Koa in Waikiki
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Went to Maui for 10 days when they opened so your experience may differ on Oahu.   Restaurants/Bars were open.  That is the ones still in business and not completely boarded up.  A lot were closed in the Kihei area so don't expect a lot of choices.  Only one Starbucks open in either of the HI airports we went through. Nothing else was open or looked to reopen in the airports even when we left. The "check-in" process at each was a chore.  They hired people from the most at risk groups they could find to staff the check points.  I was going to book our yearly Feb trip, but now they are talking about a mask mandate where you have to wear one sitting on the beach, so that's on hold.
I will say sitting on a beach with at most 40 people was both awesome and horribly sad at the same time.  
Good Luck on your travels and to our friends in HI.

Link Posted: 11/15/2020 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Restaurants with bars are open and serving alcohol.  All restaurants are limited seating or take out only.  I ate at a Chili's last week and saw that bar seating is available.  Bars and nightclubs are still closed.  You are supposed to wear a mask in public and will be ticketed if caught not wearing one.  I don't see anyone wearing a mask on the beach cause that's just fucking stupid. And as dumb as our mayor and governor are, I don't see how they can enforce that. Lifeguards are only concerned with ocean safety regarding the public and don't bother with anything else.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 8:27:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZippZ] [#3]
The restrictions vary a bit by island on what is open.  Hotels are opening back up in Waikiki and most places are open with the exception of most bars (that are mainly bars).   Some places that purely focus on tourists may be still be closed until more tourists arrive.  Main restriction here is no large events and you can't have "social gatherings" of more than 5 people.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ZippZ:
The restrictions vary a bit by island on what is open.  Hotels are opening back up in Waikiki and most places are open with the exception of most bars (that are mainly bars).   Some places that purely focus on tourists may be still be closed until more tourists arrive.  Main restriction here is no large events and you can't have "social gatherings" of more than 5 people.
View Quote

This sums it up.  waikiki is opening up but it’s not completely reopened yet.  Many tourist activities are still closed though some have reopened. It’s a lot quieter in waikiki than usual
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I was just notified that KAUAI is back to 14 day in residence-quarters Restriction-Quarantine for all off island arrivals which will go into effect on 02 DEC 2020.

Link Posted: 12/2/2020 1:03:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By William_lxix:
I was just notified that KAUAI is back to 14 day in residence-quarters Restriction-Quarantine for all off island arrivals which will go into effect on 02 DEC 2020.

View Quote

Kauai has micro quarantine bubbles, you can stay at a resort and enjoy the amenities.  However you'll get arrested if you try to leave the resort.  Welcome to Hawaii.

THings are changing everyweek here so it's hard to plan for a trip here.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 11:27:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: William_lxix] [#7]
Originally Posted By ZippZ:

Kauai has micro quarantine bubbles, you can stay at a resort and enjoy the amenities.  However you'll get arrested if you try to leave the resort.  Welcome to Hawaii.

THings are changing everyweek here so it's hard to plan for a trip here.
View Quote

Yeah I saw that.  Resorts have to be STRUGGLING, as well as VRBO, BnB & such.  As they STILL have the high taxes, but little income and still have employees to pay!

Maybe this is a way to open more units to RESIDENTS in lieu of vacation rentals...?

~Will
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 3:27:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZippZ] [#8]
This is about Kauai's quarantine and job losses.  

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/12/02/hawaii-news/kauais-travel-rules-bring-job-and-revenue-losses/

Kauai tends to be anti tourist, including residents on other islands.  More liberal than the average in Hawaii.  They don't like tourists, military, or outsiders living there but they lack income at the same time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top