Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/22/2017 5:44:13 AM EDT
I'm pretty excited about the new rifle law this year because I had trouble just keeping my shotgun on the paper at 100 yards last year and spent about $150 just trying to find something that would group.
this was my first time deer hunting since moving to iowa in 2006 and things did not go very well.

Well now my rifled barrel is avalible on gunbroker because I've had it with that POS!

I'm also pretty excited that I have just learned I can hunt late muzzleloader in addition to shotgun 2.

Anyway, i'm running short on cash this year but I was bound and determined to hunt with a rifle so I threw a few things up on gunbroker to raise a little cash.

I ordered a CVA hunter from buds on monday, and yesterday I got it. Not much to look at, but it shoots WAY better than any shotgun.

I'm pretty happy so far. I decided to go with 325gr hornady leverevolution.
I liked the ballistics and it looks good out to about 150 yards without much worry about aiming high or low.
I put a nikon prostaff 3-9X40 BDC scope I had laying around on it and sighted it in.
I had is sighted in in 5 shots and the next 5 went into this 1.6MOA group.

I also discovered the wonders of the .50 Hornady great plains bullet in .385 gr for my muzzleloader and have been getting about 2MOA groups with them in front of 90gr of pyrodex.  I suspect this load will knock the snot out of any deer that gets in it's path and it's easy on the shoulder.

anyway, here is my poor mans setup for shotgun2 and late muzzleloader

I eventually want to get a marlin 1895 in 45/70 or a .50 beowulf upper (which will inevitably turn into a complete gun like all the others have)

what are you guys going to be using?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm shooting a .450 Bushmaster.  The set up is below..

Bushmaster 450 upper receiver.  Had the barrel cut from 20 inches down to 16 inches by ADCO.
SICO Hybrid suppressor with ASR QD mount.
Older Superiour Arms lower I had sitting around with Geiselle trigger group.
Vortex PST 1-4x24 in a Vortex mount.
Shooting Hornday Black 250gr FTX

Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Marlin 1895. Have used .45-70 before on deer(Contender pistol) and it works. Got one of the Walmart clearance .45-70s because I wanted one, no other reason. DNR opened straight wall rifles as an option so I feel like I have to use it(my original plan was to give up gun season because of how much fun I had in bow season).

ETA-will be using Starline brass, IMR 4064 powder and 405 grain homecast bullets.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:32:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Ruger American in 450. It won't do much that my custom Rem 700 smokeless ML won't do, except host my Hybrid whenever the stamp clears (probably not in time for this year ), but it was a cheap gun and I like it. Several buddies have bought 450 uppers and one bought a .444 Marlin. I don't think there will be many shottys left in the woods a few years from now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I too have a CVA Hunter in 45 70.  Very happy with it.  Accurate with any load I've run through it.  I think half my crew will be using rifles this year, mostly 450 Bushmaster ARs.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Friends.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#6]
And an 1895 Marlin CB in 45/70.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#7]
A new marlin 1895 45 70 gbl and my glock 20 on my hip for anchor shots that i hope will be very rare now that we can use real rifles. So glad to be rid of the 870 smooth bore slug gun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:35:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A new marlin 1895 45 70 gbl and my glock 20 on my hip for anchor shots that i hope will be very rare now that we can use real rifles. So glad to be rid of the 870 smooth bore slug gun.
View Quote
I know
I just sold mypiece of shit cantilever barrel that won't do any better than 8moa and seems to have a wandering zero with every optic I try
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I know
I just sold mypiece of shit cantilever barrel that won't do any better than 8moa and seems to have a wandering zero with every optic I try
View Quote
I've hunted with handguns so long I didn't have a slug barrel to get rid of, and now a coworker is trying to sell me his! He knows I have a Wingmaster and thinks I need another barrel.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I loaded up 6 quickloaders for my muzzleloader and packed up a backpack with all my gear.
ordered a belt carrier for some 45/70's
I ordered a new set of midway brand coveralls with rewards points off my credit card
got me a set of shooting sticks on the way

I want to try one of those neoprene face masks this year too to redirect my breath away from my glasses
I'm like a kid in a candy store

I'm far more prepared this year already than I was on opening day last year.

now to just wait 2 months for it to get here...
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I loaded up 6 quickloaders for my muzzleloader and packed up a backpack with all my gear.
ordered a belt carrier for some 45/70's
I ordered a new set of midway brand coveralls with rewards points off my credit card
got me a set of shooting sticks on the way

I want to try one of those neoprene face masks this year too to redirect my breath away from my glasses
I'm like a kid in a candy store

I'm far more prepared this year already than I was on opening day last year.

now to just wait 2 months for it to get here...
View Quote
Lots of bow season left, buy a tag. If you're close to the New Hampton area I'd almost be willing to let you borrow my bow to see if you like it before spending real money. I already filled my bow tag, waiting for first shotgun now.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a bear whitetail elite from the 90's and a old mathews MXZ

I need to sight in the bear and figure out an arrow to use

I also need to sight in the Mathews and figure out an arrow to use, but I also need to have someone inspect the string since I'm no expert on the matter.

I picked up the bear for $40 off a buddy in 05 and I picked up the mathews for $100 on ebay last year.

both are set up pretty good but the MXZ needs a quiver on it.

I have a release...

I just need to go to someone that knows bows to get squared away and then sight them in.

I was going to do that over the summer but never got around to it.

I'm not new to bows.
I have a herters recurve but I don't trust my skills to hunt with it.
I used to shoot a reflex bighorn hunter back in the day till I lent it to a buddy and he fell from a ladder with it and snapped a piece off of my cam and now I don't trust to use it because it'll eventually cut the string up. I shot it for a while but I decided it's kind of a ticking time bomb and the string will eventually say "fuck it!" and I don't want to be drawing it back when it does.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Sold my sbe2 got a 450 Bushmaster AR 16" barrel with a 13" kmr and a vx-r 1.25x4 on top I couldn't be happier running elander mags with the ca legal followers and bushmaster factory 5rd mags with the stops filed out to make them 7rd
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a 450 Bushmaster for GLFA, its ok, good for the price. My 870 was accurate enough don't know why you complain about shotgun accuracy, but it did require Remington copper solids to group well, velocity is pretty low, drop is substantial and, slugs are expensive and a number of time they failed to expand but when someone in our party couldn't tell the difference between the head and the ass of a deer, it dropped it at 230 yards. I'm tempted to build a 45 raptor in the next year or two but I think it might get unwieldy in the brush.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got a Ruger American in 450BM it was that or I did look at some 45/70 but they were either single shot or lever actions
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Savage Smokeless Muzzleloader and KRISS Vector 10mm pistol.

Would you guys run a braced pistol with the DNR?
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 10:25:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Would you guys run a braced pistol with the DNR?
View Quote
Currently illegal, IFC is working to fix it. No pistols with parts that extend conspicuously behind the action.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Currently illegal, IFC is working to fix it. No pistols with parts that extend conspicuously behind the action.
View Quote
Damn, I knew they said no stocks on pistols before.  I would have argued the ATF ruled it not a stock, however a buffer tube on a gun that doesn't have a buffer...
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 3:57:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Damn, I knew they said no stocks on pistols before.  I would have argued the ATF ruled it not a stock, however a buffer tube on a gun that doesn't have a buffer...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But state law can be more strict than federal, which is the case here.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
What's even more ridiculous, is if you take the same gun and buy a tax stamp, you can have a real stock and hunt deer with it-you just can't use it if it's a "handgun".

I want to register my Contender and put a stock on it. Just can't justify actually doing it since I have a .45-70 rifle already.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#21]
After the phone call I got tonight, I think I would like to go hunting identity thieves.
Rotten f#ckers got about $800.
Anyone want to go along?
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
After the phone call I got tonight, I think I would like to go hunting identity thieves.
Anyone want to go along?
View Quote
Want me to bring the M1 or AR10? .45 for backup.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes.
Will probably get my money back, but it could be up to 3 months.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yes.
Will probably get my money back, but it could be up to 3 months.
View Quote
At least you got off easier than my brother did-someone got into his military email(he's been out for about 10 years), applied for one of those instant online loans with it and didn't make payments. He's been fighting that for a year.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 2:38:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone want to go along?
I'll bring an M1 and an M1 carbine for backup.  Fuck those scumfucks.

FWIW, otherwise, I'll be hunting with my 870.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What's even more ridiculous, is if you take the same gun and buy a tax stamp, you can have a real stock and hunt deer with it-you just can't use it if it's a "handgun".

I want to register my Contender and put a stock on it. Just can't justify actually doing it since I have a .45-70 rifle already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate to keep beating this horse... but I read "No shoulder stock or long barrel modifications are allowed during late muzzleloader season."

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I hate to keep beating this horse... but I read "No shoulder stock or long barrel modifications are allowed during late muzzleloader season."

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/127430/Hunting_Reg-_Handgun-373467.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By putting a buttstock on it and registering it it becomes an SBR and no longer a pistol.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
"During late muzzleloader season". I hunt first shotgun season. A shoulder stock on a registered SBR or with a 16+" barrel is just fine.

Almost traded my 12" .45-70 barrel for a super 16 for that very reason.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm speaking 'braced pistol.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm speaking 'braced pistol.
View Quote
Oh, I misunderstood. They banned that with the ruling that a pistol with parts that extend behind the grip is illegal. Interesting that it didn't make it into the published regulations though.

My comment about registering a SBR being legal was meant more for the other seasons. I don't hunt BP seasons so I'm often guilty of forgetting about them completely.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:39:18 PM EDT
[#31]
How is a person supposed to see that regulation?
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#32]
No idea-but it's been posted here that IFC is working to fix it, so it must be something that did get passed and not something they wanted to pass. Like I said though, it's ridiculous that(for "shotgun" season) I can use an AR SBR in .450 Bushmaster but if I have the same gun with no stock it magically becomes illegal.

Of course, it's also ridiculous that I can't shoot a deer with a .30-06 but I can shoot a coyote with one.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#33]
using a 50beo carbine, a 460S&W, or a 8shot 627 in 357...

thinking about breaking out the freshly built dan wesson 357 8" possibly...
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#34]
.45-70 did its job. 405 grain hardcast(Lee mold), 46 grains of IMR4064. He came right to me in the footsteps of 5 does, sniffing the ground all the way.Attachment Attached File

Only bad thing is I took vacation time for the whole season. Done in 90 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
.45-70 did its job. 405 grain hardcast(Lee mold), 46 grains of IMR4064. He came right to me in the footsteps of 5 does, sniffing the ground all the way.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146284/untitled-378913.JPG

Only bad thing is I took vacation time for the whole season. Done in 90 minutes.
View Quote
Nice
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Broke in the 450 late today autopsy to be performed later tonight

Link Posted: 12/3/2017 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Put mine to use yesterday morning.  75 yards facing me, 1 shot center chest.  Ran about 25 yards before dropping.  Would have been a nice 8 pt if the whole rack was there.  This guy was a fighter and had the marks to show it.

Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Another couple nice ones! We can't be the only three getting them-doe pics are welcome too. East of Worth County does are legal in first season, and happiness is a full freezer! Now that there are dead deer in here maybe we need the OP to edit with a graphic warning.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

450 Bushmaster
16" APF Stainless Barrel
APF 450 BCG
APF MLOK hand guard
Controlled Chaos Lower
CMC 4.5lb Flat trigger
LMT SOPMOD stock
RADIAN Charging Handle and Ambi Selector
Silencerco Muzzle Brake & Hybrid Suppressor
AimPoint CompM4
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Put mine to use yesterday morning.  75 yards facing me, 1 shot center chest.  Ran about 25 yards before dropping.  Would have been a nice 8 pt if the whole rack was there.  This guy was a fighter and had the marks to show it.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82545/IMG_0240_JPG-380337.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82545/IMG_0249_JPG-380341.jpg
View Quote
You didn't pull that out of northeast clagton county did ya?  My buddy said he saw a guy get one like this.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Border of winnishiek and Howard county
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Border of winnishiek and Howard county
View Quote
Not too far from me, got mine in Howard County(near Protivin). Interesting rack-doing anything with it? He was definitely a scrapper!

ETS-my wife's coworkers 12 year old got one hell of a nice 7 point too. Wide as most any 10 pointer I've seen, dark antlers and long points. Can't help wondering if he was an old one on his way out, definitely had that look about him. Doesn't get much better for a kid's first deer!
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Not too far from me, got mine in Howard County(near Protivin). Interesting rack-doing anything with it? He was definitely a scrapper!

ETS-my wife's coworkers 12 year old got one hell of a nice 7 point too. Wide as most any 10 pointer I've seen, dark antlers and long points. Can't help wondering if he was an old one on his way out, definitely had that look about him. Doesn't get much better for a kid's first deer!
View Quote
Shot him just north of cardinal marsh. I’m gonna mount just the rack. I do it for all my racks no matter the size.  He showed lots of signs of fighting. He had a swollen eye, ears were tore up a bit and of course the rack.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Shot him just north of cardinal marsh. I’m gonna mount just the rack. I do it for all my racks no matter the size.  He showed lots of signs of sighting. He had a swollen eye, ears were tore up a bit and of course the rack.
View Quote
I know the area-most of the sandhill crane photos I posted last spring were taken on Cardinal Marsh. Lots of good ground around there!
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 7:22:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I know the area-most of the sandhill crane photos I posted last spring were taken on Cardinal Marsh. Lots of good ground around there!
View Quote
yes LOTS of great ground.  Wish we lived up there. Someday we will make the move north
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Gosh everyone having luck but myself ! Congrats and nice deer guys !
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Trophy doe(she was one fat old girl) about 125y shot that knicked her heart had another tag the other one she was with just sat there staring at her but decided I had enough meat with an elk and and 2 bow kills in the freezer already

Trophy doe to the right laying probably her offspring to the left like what just happened?

Link Posted: 12/5/2017 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Trophy doe(she was one fat old girl) about 125y shot that knicked her heart had another tag the other one she was with just sat there staring at her but decided I had enough meat with an elk and and 2 bow kills in the freezer already

http://i.imgur.com/l8BPWHK.jpg

Trophy doe to the right laying probably her offspring to the left like what just happened?

http://i.imgur.com/8hXVGP0.jpg
View Quote
Not bad. I'd be happy with it, and it's a lot better than tag soup.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Hunted with my .450 Bushmaster and shot a nice buck.  I and another member of our party had 250 gr Hornady bullets disintegrate inside the deer with no exits.    Deer in each case were shot in the lungs and the bullets made messes.   No blood trails in either case.

I was using an AR and was able to put two more into him as he ran but he got into some thick brush and with the lack of a blood trail, he was not a quick find.  The other guy watched his tip over in a field after he ran a ways.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top