Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2018 4:05:36 PM EDT
Gentlemen,

I have a few too many safe queens, & have decided to act on my long-procrastinated thoughts on consolidating calibers/guns.  Want to just keep it to 9mm, .22, & 5.56/.223, so have a couple long guns & a couple handguns to sell.  A number of these guns haven't been shot in 5+ years.

For the record, am considering selling an Arsenal 7.62 rifle, a Saiga shotgun, Benelli pump shotgun, a 3" barrel S&W J-frame, & a Kahr .380 that just doesn't fit my hand.  Nothing super high-end, but just have gotten tired of seeing them take up space in the safe & not getting used.  With all the traveling I have to do for work, I would feel better selling a few guns, put the money into beefing up the safe & alarm system, & clearing up some clutter.

I have debated using the EE, but haven't shipped guns before, so that seems a bit of a hurdle/extra cost/hassle sticking point to me.  I have purchased a couple guns face to face back when I lived in semi-rural Michigan, but now living in Miami, meeting up w/ strangers seems less palatable.

What say you all?  Is the answer the EE?  Is the answer Armslist or FLguntrader?  Anyone in Miami-Dade County that can relate where one might meet safely to sell a gun (maybe the parking lot of Trail Glades Range?).  Any other tips for success in meeting face to face (asking that the person you sell to have a Concealed Carry permit, etc)?

Have read a few horror stories about the EE, Armslist, & all the rest in GD, but GD being GD, figured I might getting a more serious answer w/ some location-specific hints/tips.

Thanks, all.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#1]
take them to the next gun show.  Sell them there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#2]
In the same situation, my wife requested I downsize the collection -- and still underway! I've used both EE and floridaguntrader [FGT]. EE works for more expensive items, especially if you find a local dealer that ships for "reasonable" amount. Also, likely going to use EE for things like my Sig 229 preban .40 -- nobody wants .40 guns anymore, and more likely a market for it in certain states. The local dealer is a small shop and will ship between $25 and $50, depending on insurance, whether rifle or handgun, weight, etc, and they will box it up if I want. For me to ship a rifle would be $25-$30, so I don't mind the extra for something maybe $700 or higher and for handguns that UPS and Fedex won't ship for private people except overnight.

Used FGT for a number of sales and trades too. All the actual transactions went fine, several of the email/cell "discussions" were terminated by me because they were definitely not comfortable. If they don't want to do a bill-of-sale, or won't provide proper ID [minimum FL DL long guns and both DL & CWL for handguns] -- no deal/transactions. FGT has a detailed Bill-of-Sale form that you can print out. I like to meet at gun shops/ranges, places that sell guns like Rural King, Cabela's, Wal-mart since it is less likely that an accidental sighting of a gun while inspecting will be considered scary. But also have met at gas station-mini marts, lots of people and activity so you don't stand out, well-lit, etc. Once things appear set, exchange cell numbers and descriptions of vehicles once the meeting is set.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Gentlemen,

I have a few too many safe queens, & have decided to act on my long-procrastinated thoughts on consolidating calibers/guns.  Want to just keep it to 9mm, .22, & 5.56/.223, so have a couple long guns & a couple handguns to sell.  A number of these guns haven't been shot in 5+ years.

For the record, am considering selling an Arsenal 7.62 rifle, a Saiga shotgun, Benelli pump shotgun, a 3" barrel S&W J-frame, & a Kahr .380 that just doesn't fit my hand.  Nothing super high-end, but just have gotten tired of seeing them take up space in the safe & not getting used.  With all the traveling I have to do for work, I would feel better selling a few guns, put the money into beefing up the safe & alarm system, & clearing up some clutter.

I have debated using the EE, but haven't shipped guns before, so that seems a bit of a hurdle/extra cost/hassle sticking point to me.  I have purchased a couple guns face to face back when I lived in semi-rural Michigan, but now living in Miami, meeting up w/ strangers seems less palatable.

What say you all?  Is the answer the EE?  Is the answer Armslist or FLguntrader?  Anyone in Miami-Dade County that can relate where one might meet safely to sell a gun (maybe the parking lot of Trail Glades Range?).  Any other tips for success in meeting face to face (asking that the person you sell to have a Concealed Carry permit, etc)?

Have read a few horror stories about the EE, Armslist, & all the rest in GD, but GD being GD, figured I might getting a more serious answer w/ some location-specific hints/tips.

Thanks, all.  
View Quote
Sell them to me.... I'll buy them for pennies on the dollar then post how I robbed little old ladies and dug through the evidence lockers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In the same situation, my wife requested I downsize the collection -- and still underway! I've used both EE and floridaguntrader [FGT]. EE works for more expensive items, especially if you find a local dealer that ships for "reasonable" amount. Also, likely going to use EE for things like my Sig 229 preban .40 -- nobody wants .40 guns anymore, and more likely a market for it in certain states. The local dealer is a small shop and will ship between $25 and $50, depending on insurance, whether rifle or handgun, weight, etc, and they will box it up if I want. For me to ship a rifle would be $25-$30, so I don't mind the extra for something maybe $700 or higher and for handguns that UPS and Fedex won't ship for private people except overnight.

Used FGT for a number of sales and trades too. All the actual transactions went fine, several of the email/cell "discussions" were terminated by me because they were definitely not comfortable. If they don't want to do a bill-of-sale, or won't provide proper ID [minimum FL DL long guns and both DL & CWL for handguns] -- no deal/transactions. FGT has a detailed Bill-of-Sale form that you can print out. I like to meet at gun shops/ranges, places that sell guns like Rural King, Cabela's, Wal-mart since it is less likely that an accidental sighting of a gun while inspecting will be considered scary. But also have met at gas station-mini marts, lots of people and activity so you don't stand out, well-lit, etc. Once things appear set, exchange cell numbers and descriptions of vehicles once the meeting is set.
View Quote
thank you kindly for taking the time to write up such a detailed reply, & addressing my concerns w/ your own experience.  i will definitely look into FLguntrader's bill of sale form.  i do have the concern you express about a firearm being sighted during the face to face inspection, that might result in an alarmed passer-by calling police.

did u have folks text you a picture of their CWL, so you had a pre-meet verification & ID on whom you were going to meet?  I will most likely include my terms in the ad I place, so that there are no surprises for the buyer either.

i do have a more expensive 1911 that I will probably end up putting up on the EE, since the txfr fee & shipping won't be such a big bite out of a higher dollar item.  glad to hear that the FFL can box things up, given that have likely done thing hundreds of time, vs. my zero times.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sell them to me.... I'll buy them for pennies on the dollar then post how I robbed little old ladies and dug through the evidence lockers.
View Quote
@Miami_JBT
later this week will be driving up to Georgia, so I can meet you anywhere you want along the I-75 corridor. north of Tampa.  you bring US dollars, I'll bring the guns you want.  IM me for items for sale/pics, if you want.

I may just put a few up on the EE later today as well, pending time available.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I am do the Arsenal if the price is right.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#9]
See if your favorite local shop will sell them on consignment for you, worked out great for me.
A year or so ago I decided to finally clear out the safe queens ( antique Ruger S/A,s ) I did not want the hassles of shipping and internet sales.
Being "confined" severely limits my gunshow abilities.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

did u have folks text you a picture of their CWL, so you had a pre-meet verification & ID on whom you were going to meet?  I will most likely include my terms in the ad I place, so that there are no surprises for the buyer either.
View Quote
Sometimes yes with all of that, most of the time less [name, cellphone number] -- you do what makes you comfortable. That is also part of the mutually-agreed meeting place being someplace where you feel is appropriate.

Often it is just the info [name, address, plus CWL if handgun involved] to fill out at least part of the bill of sale. Then bring the two copies [plus another two blanks in case], complete the rest of information [like serial numbers, etc.], confirm ID in person, each sign both copies. A couple of times they didn't want their own paper copy, they just took a cellphone picture.

Main reason I require a bill of sale is in case I'm stopped going home or have an accident, whatever, and can show ownership of the gun in the car. After that it goes into the safe in case law enforcement comes asking for some reason.

Don
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#11]
You better put all your stipulations in your ads, so you don’t waste a buyer’s time. I drove just over an hour to buy a pistol once and the seller starts in wanting a bill of sale and my carry permit.

I was already irritated that the pictures of the gun didn’t completely show the wear on the gun and then he jumps in with that horseshit. While he was explaining his reasoning to me, I blocked his number in my phone, got in my truck and left.

I had a guy try to pull the bill of sale shit on me after the fact on a local rifle sale. He got the same treatment as the other guy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree, I always put stipulations in the ad.  Although even if you say buyer must have CCW permit you'll get a bunch of people without one trying to buy..

Doing a FTF in the parking lot of a police station (many have set up areas for E-Commerce) isn't a bad idea in these situations.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#13]
FWIW-  I have a good relationship with a local Dealer who sells a lot of guns online. I have dropped off a gun from time to time and had him handle everything from listing to shipping and keeping track of all the legalities. He doesn't ship until he has money in hand and he is an A+ Seller with hundreds of transactions on the gun auction sites so people feel confident in bidding and buying. Buyer pays shipping and my Dealer takes 20% of the "Sold" price. He pays all fees from the auction from this as well.

Could I get more doing it on my own? Maybe but this method makes it simple and risk free on my part. I drop it off at his shop and I am done . He sends me a link to the auction so I can see when it sells. Frankly, he usually can get me about the same if not more cash in hand than for me to go through the hastle and/or meet strangers in parking lot.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Join the Florida Shooters Network, list your sale items, prices and your location. They'll be in good hands in a week, maybe two.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Join the Florida Shooters Network, list your sale items, prices and your location. They'll be in good hands in a week, maybe two.
View Quote
Thank you, sir.  I didn't know about that one.  going to take a look at it.

appreciate all that took the time to respond.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top