Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2020 7:28:15 PM EDT
It's time to get my Mother's affairs and paperwork planned out. She's going strong right now, but we know that will not continue forever.

She needs to refresh her will now that she's a widow, and I'd like to get her setup with someone who understands estate law, probate concerns, etc. Her assets are not significant, but there's no reason to not get things setup as well as possible.

Thanks,
AB
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#1]
My grandma used a dude named Guy Drexenger (or similar spelled last name ) for the amount of shit those dudes have to put up with he handled it well.

I don’t want to be his best friend or anything, but that’s mostly because he’s a lawyer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Brian M. Douglas & Associates

https://www.atlantagaestateplanning.com/

They are across the street from Truist Park. A full package(living will, estate, trust, etc.) will run about $4K. Since she already has a will I'm sure it will be less. The trust is the important part...that keeps the Probate Court out of her affairs all together.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Trust and beneficiaries. Georgia will over ride a will and give all money to listed beneficiaries despite what a will says .
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Trust and beneficiaries. Georgia will over ride a will and give all money to listed beneficiaries despite what a will says .
View Quote
That is only if the will is contested right?
We just had to go through a situation with 3 heirs but the estate went to only 1. Everything went as the will asked.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think anything complex will be required. There are no sizeable assets worth a long fight for anyone - mostly equity in an average house that already has my name added to the title, a few bank accounts that I should already be attached to, and two 20 year old vehicles. Only one kid, so no siblings to contest anything.

$4k is pretty much a non-starter. I want her to go through someone who understands estate and probate issues instead of a regular lawyer, but that's too much of a premium for her.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We just had to go through a situation with 3 heirs but the estate went to only 1. Everything went as the will asked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It all depends on the probate court and the other heirs. A will is fine when no one contests and the probate court just wants to push it through.

Quoted:
I don't think anything complex will be required. There are no sizeable assets worth a long fight for anyone - mostly equity in an average house that already has my name added to the title, a few bank accounts that I should already be attached to, and two 20 year old vehicles. Only one kid, so no siblings to contest anything.

$4k is pretty much a non-starter. I want her to go through someone who understands estate and probate issues instead of a regular lawyer, but that's too much of a premium for her.
Yea, it's not cheap for sure. The attorney I listed basically does only estate planning so they are well versed in handling any size estate. It would be worth a call to them just for a consultation. The consultation is free.

The only way to avoid potential probate issues is to set up a trust. Personally, anything I can do to keep the government out of my business is a good thing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It all depends on the probate court and the other heirs. A will is fine when no one contests and the probate court just wants to push it through.

Yea, it's not cheap for sure. The attorney I listed basically does only estate planning so they are well versed in handling any size estate. It would be worth a call to them just for a consultation. The consultation is free.

The only way to avoid potential probate issues is to set up a trust. Personally, anything I can do to keep the government out of my business is a good thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree. This one law firm that we spoke with was asking $3.5k...so it is good to hear that we are in the same ballpark.
I will give your suggestion a call and see how they feel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
If it’s uncontested it’s easy. Actually the easiest is just to have the heirs name on accounts prior to anything happening. No probate needed if it is set up that way
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I agree. This one law firm that we spoke with was asking $3.5k...so it is good to hear that we are in the same ballpark.
I will give your suggestion a call and see how they feel.
View Quote
All of the estate planning attorney's I contacted were between $3K-4K for the same level of services. They shop each others cost so they know what they can charge. The price sucks but, I like the peace of mind knowing it's all black and white when I move on.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everybody.
My name is already on the major assets, so it sounds like the worst is taken care of. I'll suggest she contact someone for an initial consultation just to make sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top