Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The electronic scoring targets on the 200 and 300 yard ranges look pretty interesting. I have a 6.5 creedmoor Tikka bolt gun that will be finished soon that should be fun out there. Stupid quarentine has me rebuilding guns that I dont shoot much and spending money
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Latest update:

The Palm Beach Shooting Sports Complex is anticipating opening with limited access to rifle and handgun ranges in mid-to-late May. Access to the complex will be allowed by appointment only. More information to come about the process for making reservations.

That is all the information I have for now.  I will let you know when I have any more.

Stay safe,

Lynne Hawk
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:01:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By trekgod3:
Latest update: 

The Palm Beach Shooting Sports Complex is anticipating opening with limited access to rifle and handgun ranges in mid-to-late May. Access to the complex will be allowed by appointment only. More information to come about the process for making reservations.

That is all the information I have for now.  I will let you know when I have any more.

Stay safe,

Lynne Hawk
View Quote

It would be nice to actually see them open...

I was surprised with the email pointing to late May.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:42:43 PM EDT
[#4]
New email today. It looks like they are still targeting a mid-late May opening with limited access to the rifle and handgun ranges. As they said in earlier emails, It looks like they're going by appointment only.
More to follow.

"We anticipate opening the Palm Beach Shooting Sports Complex with limited access to rifle and handgun ranges in mid-to-late May. Access to the complex will be allowed by appointment only. More information to come about the opening and reservation process.

Lynne Hawk
Regional Hunter Safety Coordinator
Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission
8535 Northlake Blvd., West Palm Beach, FL 33412
(561)625-5122         (561)625-5139 fax"

ETA: More info here: https://myfwc.com/hunting/safety-education/shooting-ranges/palm-beach/range-details/
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Great news!   and about time!
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 1:12:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Acedraven:
Great news!   and about time!
View Quote

I have a new AR Pistol that I need to zero and I'm hesitant to take it on the first trip.
I'm thinking a long rifle for the first trip to get rules of the range. I'd hate to create angst in the new staff.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 6:24:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Opening late May......of 2063
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Its finally happening. Range is opening

The Palm Beach Shooting Sports Complex

This range is opening with limited access to rifle and handgun ranges beginning Monday, May 18 by appointment only. The range will be open on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. by appointment only. This facility will operate at 50% capacity with a one-hour time limit per participant and only one person per lane is allowed.

To make a reservation, call 561-512-0285 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays.

https://myfwc.com/hunting/safety-education/shooting-ranges/palm-beach/range-details/
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#9]
More details on the opening in an email update from FWC I got this afternoon:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Bring tape or self adhesive targets. No staples or tacks allowed, for whatever reason...
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't see anything about range rules....rapid fire, rifles or shotguns that need stocks,  all the stuff markham bans....
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone shoot opening day today? Range report!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#14]
1 hour limit? Geezus by the time I unpack rifle(s), set up targets, ammo, spotting scope.... I barely have time for one round of hot range.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:52:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I think the one hour rule is just coronorule.  should be more normal after virus/scam over.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I went and used the range today for the first time. First off it is a very nice facility. All of the staff were nice and they ran a safe and fun range. No “range nazis” were seen today. Follow the simple range rules and you are fine. They make you watch a 15 minute safety video if it is the first time using the facility. It only needs to be done once and you are given a range card. The only thing open now are the pistol and 100 and 200 yard rifle ranges. The electronic scoring equipment is not installed in the 200 and 300 yet ( I was told the equipment is not even in the country yet) and the RO didn’t know when it would be fully operational. The ranges are being operated at 50% capacity for covid-19 precautions.
Couple things I didn’t like was the reservation system as it is now. I called 10 times over a 2 hour period and could not get through. I finally drove over there and met the guy at the gate who assured me that were answering phones, but wouldn’t let me make an in person appointment. I called again from the gate and got through. For being so busy on the phone, every time slot had openings for the day I wanted to go. There is also the time limit. Range is limited to one hour, however they are only enforcing that if there are people waiting. We shot for an hour and a half before being asked to pack up because people were waiting. Someone else told me that shot for three hours and was never asked to leave. It depends on the crowd. There is also no prone allowed. The benches are super sturdy though so that is good. There is a shooting test to be able to use the 200 and 300 yard ranges- you must put 3 out of 5 rounds in a 6 inch circle at 100. Very easy depending on what you are shooting. For now you can use the 200 Is open using paper targets only. I asked about the 300 and was told they are considering opening that with paper only as well but that has not been decided yet.
Last thing— the road headed to the range is in terrible condition right now, made worse by the downpours we got here all week. Get ready to have your fillings rattled out of your teeth. I know paving the road has been brought up to the county but that is probably years out.
Overall great experience, I’m glad it’s right down the road and plan on being a regular and getting more lead down range again.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

My “range test” target of 5 rounds.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Did they have any rules on rapid fire? Like... registered machine guns friendly?
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I went and used the range today for the first time. First off it is a very nice facility. All of the staff were nice and they ran a safe and fun range. No "range nazis" were seen today. Follow the simple range rules and you are fine. They make you watch a 15 minute safety video if it is the first time using the facility. It only needs to be done once and you are given a range card. The only thing open now are the pistol and 100 and 200 yard rifle ranges. The electronic scoring equipment is not installed in the 200 and 300 yet ( I was told the equipment is not even in the country yet) and the RO didn't know when it would be fully operational. The ranges are being operated at 50% capacity for covid-19 precautions.
Couple things I didn't like was the reservation system as it is now. I called 10 times over a 2 hour period and could not get through. I finally drove over there and met the guy at the gate who assured me that were answering phones, but wouldn't let me make an in person appointment. I called again from the gate and got through. For being so busy on the phone, every time slot had openings for the day I wanted to go. There is also the time limit. Range is limited to one hour, however they are only enforcing that if there are people waiting. We shot for an hour and a half before being asked to pack up because people were waiting. Someone else told me that shot for three hours and was never asked to leave. It depends on the crowd. There is also no prone allowed. The benches are super sturdy though so that is good. There is a shooting test to be able to use the 200 and 300 yard ranges- you must put 3 out of 5 rounds in a 6 inch circle at 100. Very easy depending on what you are shooting. For now you can use the 200 Is open using paper targets only. I asked about the 300 and was told they are considering opening that with paper only as well but that has not been decided yet.
Last thing the road headed to the range is in terrible condition right now, made worse by the downpours we got here all week. Get ready to have your fillings rattled out of your teeth. I know paving the road has been brought up to the county but that is probably years out.
Overall great experience, I'm glad it's right down the road and plan on being a regular and getting more lead down range again.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1077/8A1E7EF9-6D68-40C7-A9C0-9D6143EC747C_jpe-1440630.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1077/ECA0618A-3C9F-406E-9EB6-412D17165CC5_jpe-1440634.JPG
My "range test" target of 5 rounds.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1077/C20BD912-6E3A-4959-BB50-CBCE164BF7BA_jpe-1440635.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1077/AD7707FB-4051-42E3-B2AE-C53A4D849368_jpe-1440636.JPG
View Quote

Great write up, thank you.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Did they have any rules on rapid fire? Like... registered machine guns friendly?
View Quote

1 round every 2 seconds is what was said. I was sighting in a couple new builds so I didnt really test the limits

I plan to be there Monday morning if anyone else is there on the 100 and 200 yard ranges.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#20]
how bad was the road after all the rains ?
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm gonna guess and say it is probably 1 or 2 clicks shy of swamp buggy bad!
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep Basically driving on a washboard. You couldn’t go much faster than 10 mph
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I went for the first time today and it was GTG.  All the shotgun stuff is still not open but the rifle ranges were at 100 and 200.  You have to make a reservation then can show up and watch their 15 minute orientation video and then pay to shoot.  If you want to shoot on the 200 or 300 yard range you have to shoot a 5 shot group at 100 yards first then they document it and you can then shoot on the longer ranges.  

They had plenty of ROs there and the "older retired type guys" were all cool, good experience.  Biggest hassle is the 1.4 mile unpaved road going into the place.   also the benches were not that bad at all as they are mostly  attached to the steel support beams.  It is a fudd type range with bench rest shooting but as I was leaving I did see a guy shooting on the 100 yard range standing up with a target at 25 yards so that was nice to see.  I paid $15 and shot at the 200 yard range for several hours no problems as it was not busy at all.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I went for the first time today and it was GTG.  All the shotgun stuff is still not open but the rifle ranges were at 100 and 200.  You have to make a reservation then can show up and watch their 15 minute orientation video and then pay to shoot.  If you want to shoot on the 200 or 300 yard range you have to shoot a 5 shot group at 100 yards first then they document it and you can then shoot on the longer ranges.  

They had plenty of ROs there and the "older retired type guys" were all cool, good experience.  Biggest hassle is the 1.4 mile unpaved road going into the place.   also the benches were not that bad at all as they are mostly  attached to the steel support beams.  It is a fudd type range with bench rest shooting but as I was leaving I did see a guy shooting on the 100 yard range standing up with a target at 25 yards so that was nice to see.  I paid $15 and shot at the 200 yard range for several hours no problems as it was not busy at all.
View Quote

I was also there this morning..only shot at the 100 for an hour as I didnt have a ton of time. I was going to hit the 200 as well but ran out of time. Looked like only one person was there when I left around 0930.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#25]
How bad is the road in... like if I have low profile tires should I wait to go w a friend in a truck?
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How bad is the road in... like if I have low profile tires should I wait to go w a friend in a truck?
View Quote

There is a pretty bad washboard going on and some big potholes. There is also at least one spot that is a puddle across the entire road that you have to drive through. The edges are only a few inches deep but you are getting your car dirty. It rains out here just about daily lately so I would think it will be like that for a few days at least. The good thing is the base is solid, no real mud or sand to sink into.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#27]
My understanding is that the county grades the road once a year.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

do not go there in a low rider, Porsche  or corvette type low ground clearance vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My understanding is that the county grades the road once a year.
View Quote

it is now 4/x a year and the RO said maybe they will  upgrade that now that range is open.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#30]
the funny thing is that once the trap and skeet opens, the old guys with expensive cars will start to arrive.

One time down that road and they won't come back, or more likely, they will bitch like crazy and the road will get built.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 7:51:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I went there again yesterday and all was GTG.  The road was smoothed out again which was good to see.  Range officers GTG  Still no shotgun stuff.  Typical govt jackassery, everything is there but just can't get it open.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I went there again yesterday and all was GTG.  The road was smoothed out again which was good to see.  Range officers GTG  Still no shotgun stuff.  Typical govt jackassery, everything is there but just can't get it open.
View Quote
Do you still have to call in advance to get a reservation or can you just walk on???
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#33]
still have to call, however there is no guy sitting in a truck at the front gate with a clipboard.  You could just drive right in and go to office and deal with the "office lady" who seems to like rules and such.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Worse part is everything was there for almost 2 years for the pistol and rifle range. I heard the geniuses put toilet room facilities in Phase III so they couldn't open when they were done. Not sure how true that is but it makes sense.
I was surprised (not surprised anymore) the County had two years to fix the road, at least they got it fixed shortly after opening.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#35]
300 yard range still not open, waiting to have electronic targets installed.  they are not on the 200 yard range either.  The RO said the company installing them is scared of covid and won't do it right now.   Hard to make this shit up.  afraid to hook up wires in an outdoor environment.  Shotgun stuff still not open either.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the update! I wonder how many times the word "not" has been used in this 9 page thread....?
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Govt range , NOT doing a good job.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thanks for the update! I wonder how many times the word "not" has been used in this 9 page thread....?
View Quote
There are 79 primary occurrences of the word not in this thread.

This does not include:
- this post
- repeat occurrences in quotes within a post
- occurrences in larger words - nothing, cannot, etc.
- occurrences in contractions - isn't is a contraction for "is not"
- occurrences in signature lines

oh boy, I really need to get back on my OCD meds!  
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Wow - lol!
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#40]
I went again today, more nots.

300 yard range not open

shotgun stuff not open.

over 3 years !!
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Pathetic. Best NOT to think about it...
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top