User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Clearly you are the only “CT other Firearm” subject matter expert in this thread.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gentlemen, get this under control.

Tone it down or this will be locked.

For a weapon to be a “firearm”, it needs a brace AND a vertical foregrip AND must be over 26” in length.

That 26+ weapon is not designed to be fired from the shoulder, because of the brace, AND it is not designed to be fired with one hand BECAUSE of the vertical grip indicates it’s designed to be fired with TWO.

Put an angled grip on it, and it’s just a long pistol.

That’s my read on it...

As far as Connecticut goes, ask someone from Connecticut.  But I think the “other firearm” and pistol are both good to go in CT.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/285/E6501E94-8C0C-456E-8B09-B71D4032A82A-1435227.jpg

There is no CT "other firearm" in your list.

Clearly you are the only “CT other Firearm” subject matter expert in this thread.

Your the one that posted it. Why did you post it if it doesn't apply is the question? And why the sarcasm?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ok, bye bye
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You ask a question.

People give you answers and you tell them that they are all wrong.

What are you citing to make such determinations?

If it is authoritative, look at it for your answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For a weapon to be a “firearm”, it needs a brace AND a vertical foregrip AND must be over 26” in length.

That 26+ weapon is not designed to be fired from the shoulder, because of the brace, AND it is not designed to be fired with one hand BECAUSE of the vertical grip indicates it’s designed to be fired with TWO.

That’s my read on it...

As far as Connecticut goes, ask someone from Connecticut.  But I think the “other firearm” and pistol are both good to go in CT.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/285/E6501E94-8C0C-456E-8B09-B71D4032A82A-1435227.jpg

Your the one that posted it. Why did you post it if it doesn't apply is the question? And why the sarcasm?

You ask a question.

Don't be mad at me because you were wrong.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
IBTL
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow, this progressed rapidly.  Note to self: Never try to answer a question from somebody who is from CT.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wow, this progressed rapidly.  Note to self: Never try to answer a question from somebody who is from CT.
View Quote

Wrong, just a douchey sample size of 1
ETA
Sry Cincinnatus im done here ...
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why was I “wrong”?

Please be specific.  Cite Connecticut Law.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s my read on it...

You ask a question.

Why was I “wrong”?

You posted a large picture nothing of which pertains to the issue at hand.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#14]
IBTL
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It Defined and showed an “other.”

If not, cite why.

The CT4-2A DOES NOT under any circumstance fall under the definition of either an Assault Weapon or an AOW. Below are the follow characteristics defining the CT4-2A as an “OTHER FIREARM”.

Is NOT a Rifle as it does not have a buttstock. Features a spineless cylindrical tube that does not allow for any rifle buttstock to ever attach.

Is NOT a Pistol as it has a Forward Vertical Grip.

Is NOT a Pistol SPECIFICALLY under CT/NY Law as the MINIMUM barrel length is 12.5”. CT Defines a Pistol as have a barrel length of 12” or Shorter,

Is NOT an AOW, as it over 26” in overall length, and features a vertical forward grip.

That’s how a Connecticut Gun manufacturer defines it.  Looks familiar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s my read on it...

You ask a question.

Why was I “wrong”?

If not, cite why.

The CT4-2A DOES NOT under any circumstance fall under the definition of either an Assault Weapon or an AOW. Below are the follow characteristics defining the CT4-2A as an “OTHER FIREARM”.

Is NOT a Rifle as it does not have a buttstock. Features a spineless cylindrical tube that does not allow for any rifle buttstock to ever attach.

Is NOT a Pistol SPECIFICALLY under CT/NY Law as the MINIMUM barrel length is 12.5”. CT Defines a Pistol as have a barrel length of 12” or Shorter,

Is NOT an AOW, as it over 26” in overall length, and features a vertical forward grip.

The previous picture you posted said that BBL length does not matter. The new information you are providing is accurate as the BBL length does in fact matter. All of that info is what I have previously stated regardless.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#18]
In before the shenanigans
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In before the shenanigans
View Quote

I think the whole thread is shenanigans.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No.  The picture I provided was very specific.  You need to slow down and read it again.

Pause.  Think before you post.

You’ll avoid this embarrassment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s my read on it...

You ask a question.

Why was I “wrong”?

If not, cite why.

The previous picture you posted said that BBL length does not matter. The new information you are providing is accurate as the BBL length does in fact matter. All of that info is what I have previously stated regardless.

No.  The picture I provided was very specific.  You need to slow down and read it again.

You obviously didn't even read all of the specs on each one, because none of them applied to CT "others". Out of those six, which one is a CT "other"?

Your only embarrassing yourself. Again.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Good luck Connecticut, he’s all yours!  lol

I’m out.

By the way, don’t post in the AR15 Pistol forum for a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s my read on it...

You ask a question.

Why was I “wrong”?

If not, cite why.

You obviously didn't even read all of the specs on each one, because none of them applied to CT "others". Out of those six, which one is a CT "other"?

I’m out.

Good answer, since you don't have one
Better luck next time
Bye bye
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 3:46:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I’m out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s my read on it...

You ask a question.

Why was I “wrong”?

If not, cite why.

I’m out.

Thank you, @cincinnatus dick
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Anyone know exactly what the specifications and/or dimensions of a required VFG  is on a "other" firearm since it has to have one? Specifically the minimum length of the VFG?
View Quote

Where is CT's determination that a VFG must be on an other?
What status is it changing?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Where did this dumpster fire come from?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Where did this dumpster fire come from?
View Quote

Like all dumpster fires- it just happened one day
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It’s my pleasure.

Found this little fella wandering around in the Tech Forums.  Seemed lost.  

Saw that he had a home here in CT, so I dropped him off.  
View Quote

What, was GD full?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#33]
You can only use a Gi Joe Kung Fu Grip on an Aids Cannon if it’s in the shape of a dildo.  You’re welcome.  

Oh and welcome to the CTHTF.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#34]
If only CT law as written actually required a VFG
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:13:32 PM EDT
[#35]

There isn't one.

There are certainly "others" that do not require a forward grip, but they are designed to or require 2 hands to fire.  An AR pistol-looking-thing isn't necessarily designed to be fired with 2 hands, so the addition of the forward vertical grip changes that.  To comply with CT law you then need a barrel +12.x" and to comply with ATF it needs an overall length +26"

Quoted:

In CT there is no official determination on a minimum length for the VFG.

Typically CT will defer to the ATF interpretation unless they want to invent their own definition.

Now, would it be smart to make sure you can grasp it with at least 2 fingers and a thumb?  Probably.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#36]
To advise out of a principle of sharing accurate info.
Quoted: Those involved a folding stock adaptor. The ATF did say that any AR pistol or "other" with a folding adaptor must be measured with the adaptor folded. In that case, there is no way that the OAL will ever be over 26". If a standard non folding buffer tube is used and the OAL is over 26" then you can use any type of fore grip per federal law.
View Quote

I snipped this and wanted to additionally add what was stated relatively recent
Attachment Attached File

Link
If it is a fixed RE, the rearmost part of the buffer tube is the point of measurement to the end length of permanent barrel
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:07:40 PM EDT
[#37]
@Andrapos

Sorry, it was a poor attempt at sarcasm.

There's no 2 hand shooting requirement, per CT. The only determining pistol factor is a barrel <12".

In fact, a VFG could get you into AOW territory, since some pistol buffers (pdw) are short enough that a 12" barrel would put you under 26" OAL (~25"). The VFG would remove you from federal pistol status.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:41:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Suffice to say, if you live in Connecticut AND the United States...

...you need to be in compliance with the laws of BOTH Connecticut AND the United States.

View Quote

How dare you
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Suffice to say, if you live in Connecticut AND the United States...

...you need to be in compliance with the laws of BOTH Connecticut AND the United States.

View Quote

Source?  
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
@Andrapos

Sorry, it was a poor attempt at sarcasm.

There's no 2 hand shooting requirement, per CT. The only determining pistol factor is a barrel <12".

In fact, a VFG could get you into AOW territory, since some pistol buffers (pdw) are short enough that a 12" barrel would put you under 26" OAL (~25"). The VFG would remove you from federal pistol status.
View Quote

Manufacturers of CT Others install vertical foregrips on them to avoid the possibility of them meeting state or federal definitions of a "pistol." It makes sense that they do that, especially since the instructions on the DPS-3 form (as revised to 1 OCT 2019) reference federal definitions for other firearms (directing one to the definitions used on the 4473 form). e.g. When I bought my Rossi Ranch Hand (.44 MAG lever action (federal) pistol that has since been SBR'ed, 12" barrel, 24" factory OAL), the store that I bought it from had to process it as a pistol.

Some of the "others" that Freedom Shoppe has advertised/ sold have been registered as AOWs.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#42]
@JAD

I understand what you're saying, but this entire thread has been about requirements/statutes and none of that has to do w/ CT.

Also, as I stated, using your logic could get you pinned for an AOW. I'd suspect all LGS others to be 26"+, so not an issue. But, those building don't need to think a VFG is req'd.

The Freedom Shoppe did AOWs as an insulation and it's only a $5 transfer fee. Still not a req.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
@JAD

I understand what you're saying, but this entire thread has been about requirements/statutes and none of that has to do w/ CT.

Also, as I stated, using your logic could get you pinned for an AOW. I'd suspect all LGS others to be 26"+, so not an issue. But, those building don't need to think a VFG is req'd.

The Freedom Shoppe did AOWs as an insulation and it's only a $5 transfer fee. Still not a req.
View Quote

I did not mean to imply that AOW status is required for an item to be an other or to detract from the purely factual statement that 53a-3 currently defines the terms "pistol" and "revolver" exclusively by barrel length, though items that are configured as AOWs need to be registered and transferred as such.  I was attempting to state that the purpose is for transfer insulation- because the state transfer forms and procedure continue to in-congruent with the statutory text regarding the definition of a pistol/ revolver. (<--That issue extends well beyond "others" and should be a very real consideration, especially since 1995.)
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#44]
@JAD
We agree on those points. However, the OP states VFG's are required equipment ("of a required VFG  is on a "other" firearm since it has to have one"). When the thread went to Fed level, the OP clarified his question was specifically regarding CT law.

My original questions were aimed at @Ironcross, who's since disappeared.
"Where is CT's determination that a VFG must be on an other?
What status is it changing?"

I'm saying such a statute doesn't exist and asked what status the VFG was changing. 11.999999 - Not a Pistol (per CT)
There's nothing left to cover.
Federally, it's a pistol, so no need to put a VFG on it and run the risk of it being an AOW, because it absolutely can be <26".

Yes, an LGS would be smart to cover their bases, selling >26" OAL and a VFG.
A buyer would be fine regarding a $5 AOW transfer or not (might want a folder)
A builder could legally make a <26" firearm with a 12" barrel and no VFG. It would be a Federal Pistol and a CT other.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
@JAD
We agree on those points. However, the OP states VFG's are required equipment ("of a required VFG  is on a "other" firearm since it has to have one"). When the thread went to Fed level, the OP clarified his question was specifically regarding CT law.

My original questions were aimed at @Ironcross, who's since disappeared.
"Where is CT's determination that a VFG must be on an other?
What status is it changing?"

I'm saying such a statute doesn't exist and asked what status the VFG was changing. 11.999999 - Not a Pistol (per CT)
There's nothing left to cover.
Federally, it's a pistol, so no need to put a VFG on it and run the risk of it being an AOW, because it absolutely can be <26".

Yes, an LGS would be smart to cover their bases, selling >26" OAL and a VFG.
A buyer would be fine regarding a $5 AOW transfer or not (might want a folder)
A builder could legally make a <26" firearm with a 12" barrel and no VFG. It would be a Federal Pistol and a CT other.
View Quote
If Ironcross would have stated in his original post that he was asking about CT specific laws, all the BS would NOT have happened. I would have never even replied to his post if he had specified that he was asking about CT laws. Plus it didn't help that he got argumentative with people.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#46]
@chumpmiester
I agree
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top