Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/21/2020 11:20:13 PM EDT
Im hoping that this can be a catch all thread to discuss and encourage members to start getting together again.

I'm trying to get more acquainted with my cool guy toys (nvg, ir laser) and maybe meet some cool folks in the process.

I am looking for a place to shoot in the dark since the state land nearest me has restricted shooting hours, "closing" target shooting at 18:00.

I'm also interested in meeting up with some arfcommers and maybe starting a "battle buddies" group to go on both day and night hikes.

There used to be a "group" organized by members on here in the WAHTF glory days but I believe the folks involved with it have moved on to different places.

Does anyone know of anything like that happening in the area?

I'm south of Tacoma and east of I5.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Pmed
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:25:35 AM EDT
[#2]
In. Will pm you as well.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I know a spot out near Quilcene, might get 80 yards or so, and a 45° arc if you needed.

At our recent active shooter training, the instructor made a point that people who own guns are OK, but if you know someone that feels like they need to shoot in low light levels, they should probably be reported.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I know a spot out near Quilcene, might get 80 yards or so, and a 45° arc if you needed.

At our recent active shooter training, the instructor made a point that people who own guns are OK, but if you know someone that feels like they need to shoot in low light levels, they should probably be reported.  
View Quote
Wow. Bringing up the next crop of jbts right. Lol

I know that most crime happens during daylight hours or in well lit areas and if you want to hunt nocturnal animals the best time to sight in your rifle is while shooting at said game.  He's probably correct. No good reason at all to want to shoot in reduced light. Lol
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Small group of us in central WA. Have a decent spot to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Been doing this on my own.  Headed out to call yotes next weekend, gonna camp out and play with the perst-3 a bit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:10:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been doing this on my own.  Headed out to call yotes next weekend, gonna camp out and play with the perst-3 a bit.
View Quote
Nice. I just got an ir klesh-2 that I'm playing with.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:48:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone else interested in trying to get together and get 3rd Class Battle Buddy ratings?

I’m in the Seattle area and it would be dope to put together something for those of us on the west side of the state.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 2:09:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm interested but I'm pretty busy for the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I live in the Wenatchee Valley, we have an area called Quincy Lakes about 20 minutes from here. I've gone NVG hiking and night shooting out there quite a bit. Yeah, it's a drive from you, but there are 1000's of acres to play in.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I live in the Wenatchee Valley, we have an area called Quincy Lakes about 20 minutes from here. I've gone NVG hiking and night shooting out there quite a bit. Yeah, it's a drive from you, but there are 1000's of acres to play in.
View Quote
Hour drive for me, looks like a sweet area.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm interested but I'm pretty busy for the next few weeks.
View Quote
Me too (newborn son just joined the squad), maybe plan something for April?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
3 hours drive for me.  Id do a weekend camping trip, late April/May is best I can do.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone else interested in trying to get together and get 3rd Class Battle Buddy ratings?
View Quote
I'm working weekends til the last week of April, if you can make Tuesday or Wednesdays work then I'm down.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In. Any interest in meeting up for the ABB hikes to qualify for this: https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Postponed-to-October-2020-Warfighter-Challenge-2020/5-2285962/

I'm located near Issaquah.
View Quote

Spanaway here.  Looking for a local trail (within hour drive or so) that allows the necessary mileage with light traffic, dont want a bunch of people getting freaked out by a fireteam on a friendly hike.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Spanaway here.  Looking for a local trail (within hour drive or so) that allows the necessary mileage with light traffic, dont want a bunch of people getting freaked out by a fireteam on a friendly hike.
View Quote

You are near me.

I'm not sure about a hiking trail, but something could probably be worked out in the elbe hills. Shooting is legal there, so we'd be pretty ok there.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Small group of us in central WA. Have a decent spot to shoot.
View Quote

Where in central Washington? I’m NCW
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m about a hour north, but I’m working in Wenatchee for the next two, to three weeks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kittitas County
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You are near me.

I'm not sure about a hiking trail, but something could probably be worked out in the elbe hills. Shooting is legal there, so we'd be pretty ok there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are near me.

If weather permits I'll be out there this week, I'll see if I can come up with a 6 mile route.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Kittitas County
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kittitas County

Okanogan/Chelan County line, Douglas County right across the river, here.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I want in. I live near Issaquah as well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Today I went outside and did a thing.

The stats. This meets the ABB provisional requirement. ETA: this pace is pretty challenging with a 45 lb load.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170924/IMG_20200322_155118__2_-1328452.jpg

The place. Outbound leg was hiking trails, return was graveled path. The terrain was gentle but if I was going for time I'd pick a flat, graveled course

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170924/ABB_prequal_hike_22_Mar_2020_JPG-1328455.jpg

The dude. Secret identity concealed. I was carrying 45 lb, no long gun since I didn't want to alarm the locals.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170924/IMG_20200322_145945_LI__2_-1328456.jpg
View Quote

Congrats! Looks like a great time!

Wait...

Did the dude have friends?
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 3:48:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Best get your butt outdoors! Aside from the orange haired hikers over at the park - i swear, one dude looked like a Hawaiian shave ice - you can keep all the typhoid Annie's at arm's length
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best get your butt outdoors! Aside from the orange haired hikers over at the park - i swear, one dude looked like a Hawaiian shave ice - you can keep all the typhoid Annie's at arm's length

I’ll be the third. I’m doing a full quarantine with my Wife and Newborn until April 6th (we are all healthy and no known exposures, but being extra safe since the little guy took us 9 months to make, and is cute as all hell). But otherwise I’m ~45 mins from Allen Lake and have a super flexible schedule.

ETA: counting @sleepy_jerbear as number 2.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's a quorum. We can all train independently until such time as the quarantine is lifted, or we're roaming the wasteland in the eternal quest for the precious juice.

Recommend everyone review the ratings at the https://americanpioneercorps.org/guidelines/ site. Looks like we need to do a 3 mile hike, then 2 - 6 mile hikes within 90 days, with loaded packs.

Then go out and start some shakedown hikes on your gear. My pack exceeded the requirement for Provisional (I carried 45 lb; the standard is 35) and I just made the time limit. It was a good shakedown, I'd just gotten a new pack and boots and it looks like they are going to serve me well.

We should plan on doing the qualifiers on a flat out-back course to maximize our chance of success. This is not going to be a nice nature hike, more of an athletic event.

Here's a proposed course originating in Issaquah and running along the bike trail. 3 miles out, 3 miles back = 6 miles. It's flat, running along the lake with minimal disruption from street crossings (every time we stand waiting for a traffic light the clock is still running). We can park at the Fred Meyer and eat at the Gaslamp afteward:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170924/ABB_Provisional_Course_JPG-1332470.jpg
View Quote

Another good one is the eastside rail trail along lake Washington.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's a quorum. We can all train independently until such time as the quarantine is lifted, or we're roaming the wasteland in the eternal quest for the precious juice.

Recommend everyone review the ratings at the https://americanpioneercorps.org/guidelines/ site. Looks like we need to do a 3 mile hike, then 2 - 6 mile hikes within 90 days, with loaded packs.

Then go out and start some shakedown hikes on your gear. My pack exceeded the requirement for Provisional (I carried 45 lb; the standard is 35) and I just made the time limit. It was a good shakedown, I'd just gotten a new pack and boots and it looks like they are going to serve me well.

We should plan on doing the qualifiers on a flat out-back course to maximize our chance of success. This is not going to be a nice nature hike, more of an athletic event.

Here's a proposed course originating in Issaquah and running along the bike trail. 3 miles out, 3 miles back = 6 miles. It's flat, running along the lake with minimal disruption from street crossings (every time we stand waiting for a traffic light the clock is still running). We can park at the Fred Meyer and eat at the Gaslamp afteward:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170924/ABB_Provisional_Course_JPG-1332470.jpg
View Quote

That trail runs on an old rail bed right behind my dad's first house, lakefront Sammamish that he bought for something like $30k cash in the 70s when that area was still in the boonies. Gave it up to his first wife in their divorce and now the property itself is worth millions.

Don't know if you plan on going with a long gun but you will get the cops called in that area
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This genteel area would treat us poorly if we walk around openly displaying firearms. That ain't right, it's just the way it is. I drew uncomfortable attention walking around with a hunting camo packframe to which I've adapted a large Alice pack. There were some surpsingly urban looking weirdos out walking in that little patch of woods.

An AR breaks down into two convenient pieces that will fit in a large backpack. Just sayin'
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That trail runs on an old rail bed right behind my dad's first house, lakefront Sammamish that he bought for something like $30k cash in the 70s when that area was still in the boonies. Gave it up to his first wife in their divorce and now the property itself is worth millions.

Don't know if you plan on going with a long gun but you will get the cops called in that area

This genteel area would treat us poorly if we walk around openly displaying firearms. That ain't right, it's just the way it is. I drew uncomfortable attention walking around with a hunting camo packframe to which I've adapted a large Alice pack. There were some surpsingly urban looking weirdos out walking in that little patch of woods.

An AR breaks down into two convenient pieces that will fit in a large backpack. Just sayin'

Northern Virginia has similar reactions when you are two or three people.

When you are a dozen plus and friendly it gets inside their OODA loop and the would be haters most often just look confused.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 12:31:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Got my steps in, 14 laps on the cedarcrest middle school track with my ruck and two fat dogs...

Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:39:25 AM EDT
[#37]
I’ve started running in my plates with my dog occasionally, shouldn’t be an issue to add the necessary weight and crush the hike. Now to plan my 35lb pack.

@Ben, does pack weight include armor and related PC/LBE?

And/or does a newborn count as water weight or dry weight, lol

And WA dudes, PM me and let’s get an email list serve going or something to organize things.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I’ve started running in my plates with my dog occasionally, shouldn’t be an issue to add the necessary weight and crush the hike. Now to plan my 35lb pack.

@Ben, does pack weight include armor and related PC/LBE?

And/or does a newborn count as water weight or dry weight, lol

And WA dudes, PM me and let’s get an email list serve going or something to organize things.
View Quote

Armor, helmet, LBV etc is optional and does not count towards weight for qualification purposes.

Baby counts as dry weight unless you are assuming or planning for the possibility of consuming said baby at some point in the hike.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Armor, helmet, LBV etc is optional and does not count towards weight for qualification purposes.

Baby counts as dry weight unless you are assuming or planning for the possibility of consuming said baby at some point in the hike.
View Quote

Infants are 75-78% water. I vote that it counts as water weight

I've gotten out running with my oldest kid yesterday and today. ~3mi each.  I haven't ran in almost 2 years. It's hard to get back into it. My legs have been complaining all day today. Lol

Link Posted: 3/26/2020 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#40]
All right, we’ll count the 10lb baby as 2.5 pounds and I’ll see about doing plates and carrier anyways cuz why not, that’s the point right? Pace at 3mph should be doable at that weight.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:06:15 AM EDT
[#42]
My JPC and lid are both in my ruck for added weight, although I really want one of these...

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:11:17 AM EDT
[#43]
ALICE frame with a tube welded on it?

Shouldn't be anything that couldn't be handled with a stop in tillicomton, a metal supplier and an hour or two in the garage.(plus time for the paint to dry)
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ll be the third. I’m doing a full quarantine with my Wife and Newborn until April 6th (we are all healthy and no known exposures, but being extra safe since the little guy took us 9 months to make, and is cute as all hell). But otherwise I’m ~45 mins from Allen Lake and have a super flexible schedule.

ETA: counting @sleepy_jerbear as number 2.

Sounds like a plan. Go team.

I've been out running/fast pace walk/stair climbs every day this week. Prior to the quarantine, ive been active in the the gym doing HIIT classes. I shouldn't have a problem hitting this mark.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 7:45:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Close. You aren't required to start with a 3 mile hike, you can start with a greater distance if you like, but ultimately you must have 18 miles, with at least two 6 mile hikes, and no hike shorter than 3 miles.

So it will take either three hikes at pace going 3, 6, and 9 miles, or

3 miles, 6 miles x2, and another of at least 3 miles, or

3x 6 miles.

There is a method to the madness.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I’m up in Whatcom county if anyone is interested. Could get some whatcom and skagit county guys together.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 2:27:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Photo not showing up - maybe try re uploading it?

ETA:  that works! Load that sucker up with 45 lb plates for extra credit. I've never carried an alice frame any distance but that looks like a special kind of hell.

I've got an IC-7200 and 35 amp hour gel cell built onto an alice frame. I think it's about 45 lb. Now I just need a portable HF antenna, then we could run a net while hiking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Photo not showing up - maybe try re uploading it?

ETA:  that works! Load that sucker up with 45 lb plates for extra credit. I've never carried an alice frame any distance but that looks like a special kind of hell.

I've got an IC-7200 and 35 amp hour gel cell built onto an alice frame. I think it's about 45 lb. Now I just need a portable HF antenna, then we could run a net while hiking.

A lot of people still like Alice frames, I hate them.  I could make that work with upgraded shoulder pads and a waist belt (stolen from Molle).
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 2:47:50 AM EDT
[#49]
I still haven't been able to make one of these hometown night shoots.  I'm still working every day except Sunday.  I have a DBAL I2 and a Russian PERST-4 green+ I would like to sight in and let you guys check out in person.....I just can't get the time off.

ETA:  In Federal Way
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#50]
It's surprisingly difficult to find a place to shoot at night. Lol
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top