Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2020 8:27:24 PM EDT
I just need a small slab for my shed. about 12x8.
It is on a slant on the side of my house right now, up on a deck that has started to rot out from under it.

all the places I called have a min of like 300 cubic feet or so of concrete to do the work. something like 3 to 4k when all is said and done.

I did the math and it is about 600 in concrete alone buying it in bags. No idea on the labor to dig and make forms for it.

It is about 200 to do it again in wood, but that is me labor, not paying someone to do it.

Figured if I can find someone under 1k to do it in concrete, I might give it a go.
Just wondering if anyone has recommendations?
Allen, plano area.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you rent a mixer from HD?  Or just buy a cheap one from HF?
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:28:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I could, but the issue is the forms, and digging to make it level over that area. it is a time vs money thing and I would rather pay than do it myself.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#3]
For digging, forms, finishing hire some guys off Craigslist. Be you own ‘general contractor’ directing their work. Look see if you can fine a small batch truck, they mix right on sight the amount you need.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Trying to picture what you have/need. You said it's on top of a wooden deck. That doesn't make sense in just reading it unless you're saying that you want to replace the deck with concrete. In order to get good feedback, let us know a little more, including use. You don't say how thick you want the concrete or what kind of reinforcement  you're planning to use.  Add details to get better info.

BTW, I'm not a concrete guy, but have done enough to know that these are key questions. The concrete and reinforcement you use all depends on your intended use.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#5]
yeah, right now it is on a deck that is rotting out.
I was either going to rebuild it or put in a concrete pad.

I don't know how thick it needs to be or re-enforcement.
I read about forms being 4 inches thick, and the shed has its own floor, so I figure it doesn't have to be that thick.
and I read something that small usually doesn't need rebar, but again, I don't know for sure.

It is a plastic shed, holds some lawn equipment and odds and ends.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought(for some reason)it was for a reloading shed(cause that's what I did for my reloading shed).

I just wrote down the phone number of a guy's truck that said cement work, told him what I needed and needed rebar in it. Mine is about 6X12. $300 in Houston three years ago.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yeah, right now it is on a deck that is rotting out.
I was either going to rebuild it or put in a concrete pad.

I don't know how thick it needs to be or re-enforcement.
I read about forms being 4 inches thick, and the shed has its own floor, so I figure it doesn't have to be that thick.
and I read something that small usually doesn't need rebar, but again, I don't know for sure.

It is a plastic shed, holds some lawn equipment and odds and ends.
View Quote

After watching the pads for ac units crumble I'd put rebar in it.  I agree with others just get some day labor for the forms and digging.

But id shop around you should be able to get that small of a pad done.  I think I was quoted $10 a square foot for a drive way.  

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I remember the guys tried to sell me much more concrete than I wanted so it would be worth their time. 20/20 hindsight I should have had a walkway from the front to the back of my house poured while I was at it but oh well, what the hell.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#9]
craigslist idea was a good one. there were several saying they do small pads. Will give a few a call on monday.

pouring extra was a thought, but I don't want to chunk out 4k right now for their min cubic feet.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, are you in Allen by chance?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I am. why do you ask?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]
4” thick,  No.4 rebar, and a 6 sack mix and don’t worry about it again.

If it’s accessible you can get concrete from a truck for about $140 a yard and just pay the $150 light load fee.

Seems simple enough to form and pour yourself - rebar on 18” centers are pretty typical.

Put down steggo or visqueen vapor barrier if you plan on conditioning the space for about .10-.15/sf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top