Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2021 6:31:30 PM EDT
It was August 15th, 1991, that I moved into this house near Eagle River. I'll probably die here. If I go anywhere, it'll be further north, into the U.P. Celebrating with a campfire tonight, and some Knob Creek Smoked Maple Bourbon on the rocks.

30+ years ago.... seems like a different lifetime altogether, when I once lived near Shitcago in Fibistan. Escaping that shithole, for the northwoods, was the BEST thing I've ever done in my 71 years. If you live down south and can GTFO out of the metro-sewer, DO IT!!! It's not as hard as everyone thinks it is.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I can definitely understand the appeal.  I've been through that area but never spent much time there outside of traveling up into the UP and some snowmobiling through the Mercer - Boulder Junction area.  In fact I have a fishing trip on the Turtle-Flambeau in about 3 weeks.  Usually go to Canada but we're not going to deal with jumping through the hoops just to get in this year.

Were you able to find employment in the same field/job when you moved to Eagle River?
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It was August 15th, 1991, that I moved into this house near Eagle River. I'll probably die here. If I go anywhere, it'll be further north, into the U.P. Celebrating with a campfire tonight, and some Knob Creek Smoked Maple Bourbon on the rocks.

30+ years ago.... seems like a different lifetime altogether, when I once lived near Shitcago in Fibistan. Escaping that shithole, for the northwoods, was the BEST thing I've ever done in my 71 years. If you live down south and can GTFO out of the metro-sewer, DO IT!!! It's not as hard as everyone thinks it is.
View Quote

Other than college and the Air Force, I've lived in Oneida County my whole life. When I was growing up, I couldn't wait to leave, and when I was gone for a few years, I couldn't wait to get back.

Congrats, even if you are an ex-flatlander!

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can definitely understand the appeal.  I've been through that area but never spent much time there outside of traveling up into the UP and some snowmobiling through the Mercer - Boulder Junction area.  In fact I have a fishing trip on the Turtle-Flambeau in about 3 weeks.  Usually go to Canada but we're not going to deal with jumping through the hoops just to get in this year.

Were you able to find employment in the same field/job when you moved to Eagle River?
View Quote

Yes I was able to do the same job (locksmith) because I was self employed. I simply bought an ad in the yellow pages and local newspapers, and the calls came. I was busier here than I was down south, because I had FAR less competition. I would've been able to do my prior job too (roofer), if I chose to. There was a demand for anything construction related. Still is.

Funny you mention the Turtle Flambeau and snowmobiling in Mercer - BJ. Turtle Flambeau is where I wanted to live. A good family friend bought a resort on the Turtle Flambeau back in 1971. It's where I rode my first snowmobile (1970 Skidoo Nordic). I was there every chance I got. Both of my kids were "conceived" up there. They were 8 & 11 by the time we finally made the move up north. I was there helping them mark the first official snowmobile trail out Hwy F (trail #9). The very first trail signs were magic marker on Tombstone pizza cardboards. We hung them on trees with 1" roofing nails (that family friend/resort owner - whom I called "Uncle Frank" all my life - was a roofer too, before he moved to the Turtle Flambeau). I deer hunted there from 1971 to 1982. Two 8pt deer racks hanging on my walls came from "telephone pole road" off of Hwy FF. I fished that flowage, and the river downstream from it, until I moved here in 1991 (now I fish & hunt on the Rainbow).

The real need for my services was eastern Vilas / Oneida counties, as the only person in my trade in this area had just died from cancer, and the area was booming. I filled the void he left... and as I opened safes (he didn't) I took it a step further. Over the past 30 years, I've done plenty of work in the Mercer / Boulder area too. Still do.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 In fact I have a fishing trip on the Turtle-Flambeau in about 3 weeks.  Usually go to Canada but we're not going to deal with jumping through the hoops just to get in this year.

View Quote

We used to hire a guide that would take us down the Flambeau River, downstream from the dam on the flowage, in wooden row boats. Fantastic musky & smallie fishing, the best I've ever seen anywhere, to this day. There's several areas of rocky rapids in that stretch of river, and only those old wooden boats could take the punishment of hitting rocks day after day. They worked out of "The Midway Bar & Grill" on FF between the flowage and Butternut. I don't think that guide service is still active, or even if that bar is still open? (It was owned by another ex-roofer friend from ILL, named Klaus). Ed Beecher was the guide's name, he owned the Midway before Klaus bought it, he'd be about 90 years old by now. But maybe he has kids or someone still doing it. Check it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top