Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2023 12:44:43 PM EDT
I need to find an FFL, storage, locker, lockbox, or something along Hwy 89 from east Glacier up Hwy 89 to the Carway Canadian border crossing.

I need to leave my bear gun before crossing the border.  (to the area that has the highest concentration of Grizzly's....but I digress )

are there any stores that offer locked gun lockers in that area?  while researching east glacier I see lots of references to the blackfeet indian reservations and lots of warnings about crime in that are (not sure if it's true) but concerned about where I leave it in that area.

thanks!
GA resident
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#1]
If your traveling out there and heading up into the park on the Canadian side I'd probably just leave it home and buy or rent some bear spray instead rather than leave my gun somewhere.

Driving through browning seems pretty sketchy but your probably going to be fine I just personally would not make it a place to stop and have lunch.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If your traveling out there and heading up into the park on the Canadian side I'd probably just leave it home and buy or rent some bear spray instead rather than leave my gun somewhere.

Driving through browning seems pretty sketchy but your probably going to be fine I just personally would not make it a place to stop and have lunch.
View Quote

not an option. we are coming from Georgia and will be on the road for over 2 months.  2.5 weeks of it in the Candian Rockies.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Your options in Babb and that area are limited for formal businesses that offer that…there might be, but I don’t know them.

I know a rancher that lives just below the port of del Bonita (the next border crossing east) that is a very trustworthy guy; he might let you keep your stuff there.

PM me if interested

ETA…I’ll be seeing him tomorrow…I’ll ask about lockers in the area
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Babb is where I am looking and wasn't able to find an FFL.  if you can ask him if he knows of any that would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Try and find a personal connection to hold it for you.     If it's an FFL, I'm 99% sure they'd have to log it into inventory.  Then you being an out-of-stater, couldnt do the 4473 to get it back.  It'd have to be shipped back to your own state.  

Link Posted: 3/24/2023 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Talked it over; no known commercial lockers.

Talked to the atf out of Helena; if your guns are locked so only you have access to them, they don’t have to be entered into a log book.  So a locker where you keep the key, or combo lock that you have the combination.

He was amenable to storing your things for you…if you’re comfortable with it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info. Now the problem is finding a reputable place that would allow me to lock them up
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:26:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Norman’s outdoor in cut bank might offer it…only place I can think of in cut bank that might.  You might try glacier county sheriffs office or cut bank pd.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#9]
If nothing else, drive the two hours to Great Falls and can check em here possibly.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#10]
When are you going? I'm moving back to Great Falls in June. A couple hours away but could safely store it for you. Also have an FFL contact a little closer in Conrad who might do it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#11]
what about the browning police department/blackfeet law enforcement?  that is the only thing that shows up as police department.

I called dispatch and they said you could leave it when them, it would be tagged and some paperwork, but she wasn't really sure and wasn't sure who to ask.... which didn't leave me with warm fuzzies....
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#12]
you know what's funny is I thought about renting a monthly storage as we seem to have them on every corner where I live.  looked for one near babb and the closest was Kalispel!
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
what about the browning police department/blackfeet law enforcement?  that is the only thing that shows up as police department.

I called dispatch and they said you could leave it when them, it would be tagged and some paperwork, but she wasn't really sure and wasn't sure who to ask.... which didn't leave me with warm fuzzies....
View Quote
I would not leave anything with the cops on the Blackfoot rez.
Too much crazy shit going on with tribal politics.

Use to live on the rez for 2.5 years and still have many friends there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would not leave anything with the cops on the Blackfoot rez.
Too much crazy shit going on with tribal politics.

Use to live on the rez for 2.5 years and still have many friends there.
View Quote

yea...so far found nothing positive with that area.... :(  I called the Babb police but they answered the phone blackfoot.  the numbers for both were the same one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#15]
There is no Babb police

I wouldn’t trust Blackfeet LE with my guns.  That department has had massive issues.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Not sure if you've looked at babb on a map but there is nothing really there but a restaurant. There really isn't much of anything in that entire area. There might be some kind of storage lockers at the many glacier hotel meant for backpackers. I wouldn't mention your storing a gun there but may be worth inquiring about.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

yea...so far found nothing positive with that area.... :(  I called the Babb police but they answered the phone blackfoot.  the numbers for both were the same one.
View Quote
There are good people there and some amazing scenery.
If you happen to go on the (any) rez don't be an ass or smerky.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I haven't been on the black feet rez be yet, but I've been on a few other reservations. Not typically very good scenery though.... Most seem to be pretty  desolate
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:42:36 PM EDT
[#19]
The Rocky Mountain front is absolutely beautiful

I prefer it to the view from the west side.  The contrast between high plains climbing dramatically to the snow covered peaks is awesome.  It makes me reminisce about fur trapping and exploring; that westward expansion.

Some of the most contented moments in my life are shooting gophers with that view rising above.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I haven't been on the black feet rez be yet, but I've been on a few other reservations. Not typically very good scenery though.... Most seem to be pretty  desolate
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Key to seeing the good stuff on a Rez is knowing people that will/can take you around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top