Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2023 9:34:32 PM EDT
This is crossposted from another forum where I found it, wanted to get the word out:

There’s a gun control push going on in Maine. For whatever the reason GOA and FPC don’t seem to have it on their radar. As useless as the NRA is, they are the only ones so far giving this any attention. I just wanted to let everyone know what is going. I’ve got a couple articles linked to give some background about what is going on and the NRA’s form letter if anyone wanted to use it, as well as a list of gun control bills from the Maine gun safety coalition.

The bills being proposed are 72 hour waiting periods, Binary trigger and bump stock bans, closing the “gun show loop hole” i.e. universal background checks and more.

LD 22

An Act to Impede the Transfer of Firearms to Prohibited Persons

LD 60*

An Act to Require a 72-hour Waiting Period After the Sale of a Firearm*

LD 168*

An Act Regarding Criminal Background Checks for the Sale, Transfer or Exchange of Firearms*

LD 1255

An Act to Improve the Security of Voting Places

LD 1011*/ LD 1340

An Act Regarding the Reporting of Stolen Firearms & An Act to Prohibit the Sale of Possession of Rapid-Fire Modification Devices

https://www.wmtw.com/article/maine-gun-control-bills-propose-72-hour-waiting-period-expanded-background-checks/43500358

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/politics/maine-legislature-taking-on-massive-list-of-gun-bills-politics/97-f759de11-66db-4187-9357-3b675571ccb0

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BS5-VjDq5mSY_8_xaS7GVfT1R9iIKp-wYE7rkz1tMyY/edit#gid=0

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20230424/maine-hearing-scheduled-for-bill-to-reduce-gun-free-zones
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Here we go again with the nonsense  seems like this is a yearly thing they try to push.

So a couple of those are already illegal LOL
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Some of these bills were heard in committee the first week of April. I submitted testimony opposing them, and contacted every member of the Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee voicing my opposition.

Gun Owners of Maine keeps a close eye on the state legislature; their bill tracker  is useful. If you haven't already, go do your civic duty. Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned.

There were other gun control bills submitted the last legislative session; a couple made it out of committee, but none got to the floor. They were more passable in some sense than the current ones - redefining bump stocks as machine guns, or banning 80% lowers, stuff that doesn't affect most people. All of those bills died, so don't get too blackpilled yet. But don't get complacent, either. Shout till the rafters ring.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Right. With the influx of turds we’ll definitely need to stay on top of this.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:38:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw yesterday they're pushing to make straw purchases illegal.

Huh. guess that would be the straw purchase loophole.

The org that seems to get the most done here is gun owners of Maine and sportsman alliance of Maine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 11:37:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RichHead] [#6]
They passed background checks for private sales.

ETA: 72 hr waiting period and the act regarding rapid fire devices were rejected by the senate.

Edit #2 I guess it only passed the house. On the radio they made it sound like it passed both the house and senate already. It was defeated in the senate.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 8:25:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NinerMaine] [#7]
All gun control failed in Maine this session.  Below is an update from Gun Owners of Maine as of 6/28/23.  The session is not over yet, so it is not a done deal until the Legislature adjourns.  LD 168 can still pose a threat until that happens.  

The following is a summation of the activity of the 131st Legislature (as of June 28, 2023) that has taken place in Augusta regarding a host of gun bills, both good and bad.   Gun Owners of Maine would like to thank all the people who worked to defeat the gun control bills as well as those who supported the pro-gun bills.  

The most egregious of the gun control bills have been defeated.  These were LD 60, LD 168, LD 1340, LD 1696.  Although  killed in this session, LD 168 was brought up in the House again and passed. It was then voted on in the Senate and failed.  Until the Legislature is adjourned, this bill could still pose a threat for this session.  It will most certainly be brought back up for the next session as well.    

The only pro-gun bill to still be active is LD 1103 which would restore the right to keep and bear arms to the legal users of cannabis under state law.  The federal prohibition would still be in place.

LD 22  An Act to Impede the Transfer of Firearms to Prohibited Persons  
Status= Passed
Passed both House and Senate, amended by the Senate to exclude antique and muzzle loader firearms and sent back to the House for concurrence.  The amendment also clarifies that the seller has to know or has reason to believe that the buyer is a prohibited person for the law to apply.  In addition, the penalty is changed to a civil violation for the first offense.  Has passed both houses to be enacted as amended and in concurrence.  (6/21/23).  This bill is awaiting action by the governor.  As amended, this bill will mirror federal regulation on the transfer of firearms to a prohibited person.  Update 6/26/23:  This bill was signed by the governor is now law.  

LD 52 (HP 27)  An Act to Allow Certain School Employees to Carry Firearms on School Property  
Status= Dead.  Failed both in the House and Senate.  

LD 60  An Act to Require a 72-hour Waiting Period After the Sale of a Firearm  
Status= Dead.  Passed the House but failed in the Senate.

LD 168  An Act Regarding Criminal Background Checks for the Sale, Transfer or Exchange of Firearms
Status= Active This bill was carried over to the next session.  This bill was brought before the House on 6/21/23.  It was voted to be tabled until a further time.  Update 6/26/23:  The House voted on and passed this bill by one vote.  Update 6/27/23  The Senate voted on and defeated this bill.  Until the Legislature adjourns, this bill is still a threat as the House is keeping it active.

LD 271  An Act Requiring the University of Maine System and the Maine Community College System to Offer a For-credit Course on Hunting, Fishing, Recreational Shooting and Trapping
Status= Dead.  No action was taken by the committee and the LD was placed in Legislative Files.

LD 551  An Act to Strengthen Maine Citizens' Second Amendment Rights by Allowing the Discharge of Firearms on Private Property That Is Within 500 Feet of School Property in Certain Circumstances  Status=Dead  Passed the Senate as amended but failed to pass in the House.

LD 582  An Act to Enhance Certain Penalties for Possession of Firearms by Prohibited Persons  Status=Passed  Passed in the Senate as amended and has yet to be acted on by the House.  Passed by both Houses to be enacted.  (6/21/23)

LD 624   An Act to Prohibit Government Officials from Maintaining Records Related to Firearms Owners  
Status=Dead  Died between the house. (6/21/23)  

LD 629  An Act To Improve, Protect And Defend The Individual Civil Right To Bear Arms Through Exemption Of Firearms And Ammunition From Taxation  
Status=Inactive No action taken in committee.  

LD 674  Bail Commissioners to Carry Firearms in Correctional Facilities and Jails  
Status=Dead Passed by the House, failed in the Senate. (6/21/23)  Places in legislative files.  Dead.

LD 943  An Act to Enhance Privacy and Prohibit Shipping Companies from Maintaining Records of Firearm and Ammunition Shipments  
Status=Dead Failed in both the House and the Senate.  

LD 1000  Resolve, to Convene a Firearm Range Safety Working Group
Within the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife  
Status=Dead Failed in both the House and the Senate.  

LD 1011  An Act Requiring the Reporting of Stolen Firearms  
Status=Dead Failed in the House with no action yet taken by the Senate. (6/20/23)  Placed in legislative files.  Dead.  

LD 1103  An Act to Allow Persons Who Lawfully Use or Possess Cannabis to Own or Possess Firearms or Ammunition  
Status=Passed  Passed by the House as amended and no action yet taken by the Senate.  (6/21/23)  Passed by the Senate as amended and in concurrence.  Awaiting action by the Governor.  

LD 1072  An Act Regarding the Bureau of Motor Vehicles  
Status=Became Law  The part of this bill which would have prohibited the carrying of firearms in DMV offices was removed by an amendment.  The bill was then passed by both houses and is awaiting signing by the Governor.  GOME no longer considers this bill to be a concern for gun owners.  

LD 1340  An Act to Prohibit the Sale or Possession of Rapid-fire Modification Devices
Status=Dead  The bill passed in the House but then failed in the Senate.  

LD 1451  An Act to Prohibit State and Local Enforcement of Federal
Firearms Laws
Status=Dead No action was taken on this bill in committee.  (6/20/23)  Failed to pass both houses.  Dead.

LD 1561  An Act to Restore Firearm Rights and Hunting Privileges to Persons Previously Convicted of Certain Nonviolent Felony Crimes  
Status=Inactive  No action was taken on this bill in committee.  

LD 1696  An Act to Create a Civil Cause of Action for Persons Suffering
Damages Arising from the Sale of Abnormally Dangerous Firearms  
Status=Inactive  No action was taken on this bill in committee.

https://gunownersofmaine.org/131Tracking

Link Posted: 6/30/2023 8:04:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, thank you.

I need to join the Gun Owners of Maine

I spend enough time in Mass, I should join that group too but it almost seems futile.  I cannot imagine any efforts resulting in any changes.

At least I can carry there now.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Other than the more obvious reasons, I moved to Maine three years ago specifically because of the pro-gun attitude the population and legislature exhibit.  "If you can own it, you can shoot it" is the mantra here.  FTF sales are fine, no mag limitations or threaded barrel nonsense.   You are expected to respect he rules and show responsibility toward firearms.  I, and many of my neighbors, shoot in our back yards.  It is "gun heaven" fellas.  Even when firearm restrictive bills pop up, they usually fail to obtain enough votes to become law as shown above. Let me point out that we have a democrat heavy house and senate, govenor too.  That shows you that politicians from both parties enjoy ownership and the shooting sports.  Oh, did I mention that Maine is a Constitutional Carry state?  Open carry as common as not.  

Cost of living is low and your neighbors are friendly and outgoing.  I am thrilled to be here and will live out my days here.  

Cabinetman
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cabinetman:
Other than the more obvious reasons, I moved to Maine three years ago specifically because of the pro-gun attitude the population and legislature exhibit.  "If you can own it, you can shoot it" is the mantra here.  FTF sales are fine, no mag limitations or threaded barrel nonsense.   You are expected to respect he rules and show responsibility toward firearms.  I, and many of my neighbors, shoot in our back yards.  It is "gun heaven" fellas.  Even when firearm restrictive bills pop up, they usually fail to obtain enough votes to become law as shown above. Let me point out that we have a democrat heavy house and senate, govenor too.  That shows you that politicians from both parties enjoy ownership and the shooting sports.  Oh, did I mention that Maine is a Constitutional Carry state?  Open carry as common as not.  

Cost of living is low and your neighbors are friendly and outgoing.  I am thrilled to be here and will live out my days here.  

Cabinetman
View Quote

Cost of living isn't low in Maine. Hasn't been for a LONG time. I don't know why people keep repeating this. Maine is one of the worst states in the country for taxes, income, and economics.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Charmingmander:

Cost of living isn't low in Maine. Hasn't been for a LONG time. I don't know why people keep repeating this. Maine is one of the worst states in the country for taxes, income, and economics.
View Quote

And it isn't going to get any cheaper. Especially with the mass influx of out of staters moving here. I've been here my whole life and home prices where I am have tripled in the last 15 years. My kids will not be able to afford a home in this area as new construction is averaging between 650-900k. In another 20 years this state will be just like living in Mass is now. And that's not a shot at anyone who has moved here from away, it's just progress. It sucks, but it's inevitable. Maine is an up and coming hot spot for relocation. Meanwhile all of my friends are moving to Montana and Idaho lol. Luckily I'm still surrounded by conservatives in my neck of the woods but holy shit on Saturday and Sunday afternoons I95 is a parking lot down here. I've never seen so many people coming in and out of this state as there has been the last two years
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SuperAir:

And it isn't going to get any cheaper. Especially with the mass influx of out of staters moving here. I've been here my whole life and home prices where I am have tripled in the last 15 years. My kids will not be able to afford a home in this area as new construction is averaging between 650-900k. In another 20 years this state will be just like living in Mass is now. And that's not a shot at anyone who has moved here from away, it's just progress. It sucks, but it's inevitable. Maine is an up and coming hot spot for relocation. Meanwhile all of my friends are moving to Montana and Idaho lol. Luckily I'm still surrounded by conservatives in my neck of the woods but holy shit on Saturday and Sunday afternoons I95 is a parking lot down here. I've never seen so many people coming in and out of this state as there has been the last two years
View Quote
And lets be real, the people are coming here aren't the kind we want.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperAir:

Yeah unfortunately.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I have some conservative friends who are seriously thinking about dropping their dream jobs and moving north to Maine just because of the BS in Massachusetts where they live now.

These are not people who will Massify Maine.  They have their priorities straight.  Move to a place because you like that place, and keep that place the way you found it.

Probably in the minority though.......
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Britbike2001:
I have some conservative friends who are seriously thinking about dropping their dream jobs and moving north to Maine just because of the BS in Massachusetts where they live now.

These are not people who will Massify Maine.  They have their priorities straight.  Move to a place because you like that place, and keep that place the way you found it.

Probably in the minority though.......
View Quote
I really don't recommend it for purely economic reasons. There is no benefit to moving here aside from gun laws (which I should point out, self-defense is flaky here but at least its uncommon).

I'm still considering moving to a red state outside of New England. There is one benefit to living here but it has to with demographics. But that's changing too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm ready to punch out to a red state myself.  The school board in our district has lost its fucking minds with the push to DEI woke garbage.  

The schools might be the final straw that pushs me over the edge.  Every new house sale ends up with mass plates in the driveway. This state is quickly going to become as bad as mass or ct.  

And thats not to mention the cost of living coupled with lack of high paying jobs.  I really dont want to leave but they may force my hand sooner than later.  

I'm sure up north and inland is alot better than York county but if I'm going to deal with winters i want to be close to the ocean for the summer.  Otherwise i might as well just move to white mountains.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By KReynolds:
I'm ready to punch out to a red state myself.  The school board in our district has lost its fucking minds with the push to DEI woke garbage.  

The schools might be the final straw that pushs me over the edge.  Every new house sale ends up with mass plates in the driveway. This state is quickly going to become as bad as mass or ct.  

And thats not to mention the cost of living coupled with lack of high paying jobs.  I really dont want to leave but they may force my hand sooner than later.  

I'm sure up north and inland is alot better than York county but if I'm going to deal with winters i want to be close to the ocean for the summer.  Otherwise i might as well just move to white mountains.
View Quote
Yeah that's why I considered the Dakotoas, Montana, WY or Idaho some time ago. I want mountains and forests and lakes. I don't NEED the ocean but I will miss the relatively cheap and fresh seafood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top