Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2022 1:06:43 AM EDT
Where is a good hotel to park a U-Haul and have it still in the lot in the morning?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Holiday Inn express or Hampton Inn in Onalaska, right off 94. Onalaska is connected to La Crosse to the north/east.

Those hotels are in a fairly busy area and are the better one's you'll find outside of Minneapolis, Madison, or Milwaukee. Bunch of stuff close by - Culver's, Texas Roadhouse, Milwaukee Burger, Target, Farm & Fleet, grocery store.

Sparta is a real POS. It's La Crosse or all the way to Madison for anything not scummy.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.

I knew I wasn't stopping in Minneapolis. Idgaf about the hotel, I want my shit to be in the truck and the truck right where I park it, that's my only concern.

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 11:52:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Minneapolis/St Paul is definitely worth avoiding for overnights.

If you’re taking 94 vs 90, Eau Claire is good place to stop as well. Probably better hotels and dining than La Crosse.

I meant I-90, not 94 when I mentioned Onalaska.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 12:36:29 AM EDT
[#4]
EuClair ftw.
Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I can see how this is a concern, as most of everything you own is already packed up & loaded for any potential thievery.

When I last moved, we had 2 U-Haul trucks, plus 3 other vehicles in our little convoy. It dawned on me that everything I owned was already packed up and ready to go for any thieves. We had to spend 2 days in a motel awaiting the closing on the new home, after leaving the old one, 400 miles away. The motel we chose had a brick wall across the back of the well lit parking lot. We parked the first U-haul truck in the corner of the lot, nose up against that wall, along side the fenced edge of the lot. I then backed the 2nd u-haul truck right up against the first, ass to ass, blocking the first one in. There was a space between them of about 4", so nobody was accessing contents of either without moving the 2nd truck. I then parked a van towing a camping trailer in front of u-haul #2, so it wasn't going anywhere until that van was moved. The van was my work vehicle, and it had an after market alarm system and a very good after market hood-lock with an integrated kill switch.... state of the art stuff for 1991. I left a small battery operated camping type lantern with flourescant tubes turned on in the camper all night, giving the appearance someone was inside. That was probably the safest my belongings have ever been.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#6]
this has been all over local news the last few days

I Ordered the GPS tracker for your kids car. They can steal it if they want to, I'll be tracking their asses fast and with great vengeance.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in Sparta and at first I was offended. Thought about it for a minute and, yeah, you're right.

There is Best Western on the edge of town (Theater Rd, where there is no theater).
Any crime there would be from I-90, doubt the locals could muster the energy to bother. All the Afghanis are gone from Fort McCoy, so your livestock would be safe.

I've stayed at the Microtel in Onalaska (right off I-90). It was clean, cheap, and convenient to lots of dinner options.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Holiday Inn express or Hampton Inn in Onalaska, right off 94. Onalaska is connected to La Crosse to the north/east.

Those hotels are in a fairly busy area and are the better one's you'll find outside of Minneapolis, Madison, or Milwaukee. Bunch of stuff close by - Culver's, Texas Roadhouse, Milwaukee Burger, Target, Farm & Fleet, grocery store.

Sparta is a real POS. It's La Crosse or all the way to Madison for anything not scummy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/16/2022 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I live in Sparta and at first I was offended. Thought about it for a minute and, yeah, you're right.
View Quote

But at least you're not in Tomah...

I jest. I live in Amish country, which is its own special hell in many ways. The closest towns to me are Asseo and Assgusta, which, well, yuck.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Onalaska it is.  90 all the way

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#10]
PM sent OP.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Also, if you are retired mil, you may be able to stay in a cabin at Ft. McCoy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:13:36 PM EDT
[#12]
That'd everybody around me but me. Did my six and ran. Fast!

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#13]
If you get into a pinch and need anything while passing through, give a holler.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you sir!

Everything except the house has gone super smooth. I'm hoping for the same out of these four days.

Except the princess will complain and the kids will fight.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

But at least you're not in Tomah...

I jest. I live in Amish country, which is its own special hell in many ways. The closest towns to me are Asseo and Assgusta, which, well, yuck.
View Quote

You are just up the road from me.  I'm teo exits south and a little west
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 12:15:42 AM EDT
[#16]
You guys were awesome! Especially the pm that said to reach out of I had any issues. Ty vm!

We stayed at stoney Creek in Onalaska. Great staff, decent free breakfast, good price, couldn't ask for anything more.

I think one of those Montana potholes attacked the uhaul.

Dover mn I had a steer tire become unstable. Andrew with Pomp's came out and rescued my family. Great company. It wasn't even his night, but he was simply the very best.

Then one of the duals EXPLODED in the Dells, we sat at the bp for hours. Blystone radiator and towing took the rims and got the tries swapped. What an ordeal.

But we made it. Thank you.

And we got the cheese fridge magnet to add to the collection!  
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Blystone are good folks (at least they were the last time I used them, but it's been a while).

Glad to hear it went (mostly) well. If you had to break down, there are far worse places that the Dells.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#18]
West of the Dells is a few miles of construction. That's where it blew. I ran out to the bp at the first Dells exit, must be the race track exit-saw all their support vehicles come fuel up.

Thanks again. WI, SD & MT guys gave us EXCELLENT scouting Intel-shit Google and AAA can't give.

Concealed means concealed  
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Glad to hear that everything went smoothly.  This group always amazes me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top